• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Shoyz

I've learned my lesson with the X. What was supposed to be a limited edition in the first place, and the retailer websites of which actually updated and stated that only orders made before a certain point in December would be the LE following the delay, it's appalling that it's still sold to this day, at nearly 50% off. Burned. Their promise of support for the handheld, with the firmware update (and games) it desperately needed following release is 7 months late.

Suffice to say, I'll be picking up the Mega Pack in a few months when it's $40. Or if not, used from someone who will undoubtedly repeat buyer's remorse.

The ultimate tragedy is that a custom firmware never got beyond a makeshift conversion I have on my X which lags on intensive games, and every emulator other than Capcom and Genesis, oddly enough.

mosaic

go eat paint
My amazon order still says expected delivery on the 27th.. but I'm doubtful. Really looking forward to this though.. I'm diggin' the packaging.

Mega Pack

Cool box design. I wonder how Tommo shipped them to retailers. I'm guessing 6/27 for my delivery date isn't going to hold...

I may be one of the few that begrudgingly likes the Neo Geo X. It's OK as a handheld and it satisfies my mild nostalgia fix with the base unit. The Mega Pack nearly contains all of the games I give a crap about...

mosaic

go eat paint
so I can plug this into my tv and play kof2002 (assuming they release the game)?

If you get the handheld with the base station, and they do release KOF 2002, then yes. Though since they're up to '96 with the latest pack that's just now shipping... and it's Tommo... well... you may be a granddad by then.

stewy

Ordered mine. The mega pack takes care of all the issues I have right now - something relatively portable to store the system in, a way to charge it without the base, and a bunch more games.

PopfulMail

Cool box design. I wonder how Tommo shipped them to retailers. I'm guessing 6/27 for my delivery date isn't going to hold...

I may be one of the few that begrudgingly likes the Neo Geo X. It's OK as a handheld and it satisfies my mild nostalgia fix with the base unit. The Mega Pack nearly contains all of the games I give a crap about...

I'm with ya.... Nostalgia goes a long way with me so I'm glad I picked one up. I really didn't have much faith when the system launched that more games would be coming so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the Mega Pack.

Updated from NeoGeoX FB page...

Product Orders: We do understand the concerns posted about product delays. We would like to clarify that all of our retail partner orders have shipped and we currently have product. We expect any messages about long delays be resolved shortly.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've learned my lesson with the X. What was supposed to be a limited edition in the first place, and the retailer websites of which actually updated and stated that only orders made before a certain point in December would be the LE following the delay, it's appalling that it's still sold to this day, at nearly 50% off. Burned. Their promise of support for the handheld, with the firmware update (and games) it desperately needed following release is 7 months late.

Suffice to say, I'll be picking up the Mega Pack in a few months when it's $40. Or if not, used from someone who will undoubtedly repeat buyer's remorse.

The ultimate tragedy is that a custom firmware never got beyond a makeshift conversion I have on my X which lags on intensive games, and every emulator other than Capcom and Genesis, oddly enough.

Same here.
Lost a lot of money buying this at launch.

PopfulMail

oh man, this'd be huge news. i'm hopeful.

Mine is out for delivery so hopefully I'll have it shortly.

Here's an update from the NeoGeo X fb page regarding the firmware

Clarification on the firmware update:
We've been monitoring the discussion on the firmware update released yesterday and want to be clear on the final firmware release. The upgrade offers general performance improvements and specific new features. We’re excited to offer the NEOGEO X community Game Saving, a Travel Charger and improved video and audio that greatly reduces over scanning on external displays and provides corrected audio channel output. We also thrilled to offer 15 more games just six months after the initial release.

The NEOGEO X handheld system is of course a Retro Gaming system featuring software written over 20 years ago and never optimized for today’s HD TV (which didn’t exist then). While never perfect, it’s a feature our customers continue to demand and enjoy. Video anomalies do and will occur on external displays. We will continue to work on improving the overall NEOGEO X experience while keeping it as close to the original AES system as possible at a truly affordable price.

Thank you for amazing support of NEOGEO X. There is a lot more to come.

Yes Boss!

Well, screen-tearing is still on the handheld and has nothing to do with being on an external display. "Improved Video" upgrades sounds like it won't be fixed...just overscan, I guess.

Kenobi

Just got my pack and updated. The images for the games have been tweaked in the selection screen. That fast forward thing in one of the early videos is real. I'm not sure what else has been added besides saving? Would have been nice if it told you what has been changed in the manual

I'm aware of what they said on Facebook but right now its not noticeable.

mosaic

go eat paint
Just got my pack and updated. The images for the games have been tweaked in the selection screen. That fast forward thing in one of the early videos is real. I'm not sure what else has been added besides saving? Would have been nice if it told you what has been changed in the manual

I'm aware of what they said on Facebook but right now its not noticeable.

Does pressing select before picking a game bring up new video options? Or tapping the shoulder buttons in-game?

Kenobi

Does pressing select before picking a game bring up new video options? Or tapping the shoulder buttons in-game?

Pushing Menu gives you pal or NTSC options before picking a game

Pressing L1 in game changes aspect ratio

Pressing R2 let's you change in game speed

Pressing R1 pauses

When lowering it raising volume you now hear a sound letting you hear it go up or down.

The video plugged to TV is still 480p BUT colors are vibrant. It doesn't look washed out and the video is better than before. I'm happy with that. Using HDMI.

There's a bit of tearing I think but not as noticeable when I played Metal Slug or Magician Lord. Video is sharper.

PopfulMail

Did you have any troubles performing the upgrade? I've done as instructed and get all the correct blinking lights n' such... but I'm not getting any SNK logos or messages appearing on screen.

DoubleTap

It doesn't look better than emulation in 1080p or something but compared to what is was; blurry washed out colors and over scan, this is a big improvement. And I'm playing on a ridiculous 70" led tv

Thanks for the impressions. Biggest thing for me is the game saving. I guess they're saving the tearing issue fix for the next update.They'll need another reason to sell the next volume in another 6 months or so.

Kenobi

Did you have any troubles performing the upgrade? I've done as instructed and get all the correct blinking lights n' such... but I'm not getting any SNK logos or messages appearing on screen.

It worked fine for me. The manual says to keep trying and neogeo x should boot twice then you'll see a progress bar

Kenobi

Thanks for the impressions. Biggest thing for me is the game saving. I guess they're saving the tearing issue fix for the next update.They'll need another reason to sell the next volume in another 6 months or so.

Supposed to work on all games except ninja masters. I've never had a neogeo before but how does one save their game? lol

Oh and the games themselves in the pack are great in case anyone wanted to know. Def worth it I think.

Is the color better on TV? That would be a reason to get one, especially now that Garou is available...

Wait, what? Last Blade 2 and Breaker's Revenge have been replaced by Last Blade 1 and Blue's Journey, if I'm reading that box cover correctly. That... sucks.

Kenobi

Is the color better on TV? That would be a reason to get one, especially now that Garou is available...

To me, before the update the colors were just blah. Now after the update the games look more vibrant on an HDTV as it should. I remember reading in neogeo forum that Tommo just had a weird filter on it. I guess they just removed it?

PopfulMail

Still no luck with the firmware update over here... but I will say the NGX/Tommo customer service has been very quick to respond to my issues.

PopfulMail

Curious if you know what version you were running before the update? I've got 337 and I found someone else with the same firmware having the same problem. Hoping there's a quick and easy solution.

I will say that I really like the packaging and the booklet inside.

Kenobi

Curious if you know what version you were running before the update? I've got 337 and I found someone else with the same firmware having the same problem. Hoping there's a quick and easy solution.

I will say that I really like the packaging and the booklet inside.

I had the newer one 337. What did Tomo say to you as far as customer service goes?

Its cool. It doubles as a case it looks like. Apparently its the same size as a neogeo game cart box.

PopfulMail

Basically just said to make sure my system was fully charged before trying the update and that they wanted to know what firmware I was running. They were quick to respond the first few times but have since dropped off. I'll give em' a day or so before getting too impatient... just kinda bummed because I've been looking forward to this.

mosaic

go eat paint
Any impressions of the new firmware? I pre-ordered from Amazon and thanks to their processing delay won't get mine until Monday.

I'm in the same boat as you, mosaic. Scroll up for some impressions from Kenobi, who seems to be the only person on NeoGAF who both has the firmware and has gotten it to install correctly.

PopfulMail

Yeah... seems Tommo has a fix for the issue I was having but it required me to send my system in. Now playing the waiting game for it to get sent back my way. Hopefully it isn't too long of a process.

DoubleTap

It seems like most, if not all, firmware 337's are not able to accept the update. It's been speculated that this is a way for Tommo to take the hackable version off the market. Since the only fix is to send it back.

It seems like most, if not all, firmware 337's are not able to accept the update. It's been speculated that this is a way for Tommo to take the hackable version off the market. Since the only fix is to send it back.
Wow. Devious and scummy, but not surprised at all. Which is sad.

PopfulMail

Yeesh, what a mess. Did you get a sense of how many units were affected / why it happened to yours?

Nope... no clue. I thought it might be the existing firmware version because I found someone else with the same issue, but Kenobi had the same as me and his updated fine. This is all I got back from Tommo..

OK, so this is an issue we have identified and found a fix for, but we must do it on site here. We can complete the fix itself within 1 day upon receipt of the system.

As long as the issue gets resolved I'm cool with it.. I'm eager to play the damn thing.. but I have plenty of other games to keep my ass busy in the meantime.

mosaic

go eat paint

Where have you read that info? I can only view NeoGAF and neo-geo.com here at work and so far the only mention I've seen of 337 is here.

DoubleTap

Where have you read that info? I can only view NeoGAF and neo-geo.com here at work and so far the only mention I've seen of 337 is here.

http://neogeox.proboards.com/thread/3/firmware-update?page=4#page=2

It mentions that Tommo acknowledge it on facebook as well:

" Hi Guys, we have confirmation that this issue is present in a small number of 337's. Please contact customer service at usa@neogeox.com and they will expedite all issues regarding 337 update failures."

Kenobi

I suppose that's a reasonable speculation. But last I checked, all the neogeo x's can be hacked with some kind of modified SD card.

Kenobi

Nope... no clue. I thought it might be the existing firmware version because I found someone else with the same issue, but Kenobi had the same as me and his updated fine. This is all I got back from Tommo..

As long as the issue gets resolved I'm cool with it.. I'm eager to play the damn thing.. but I have plenty of other games to keep my ass busy in the meantime.

Sucks you couldn't get yours updated. Hopefully you'll get yours back ASAP. Maybe you should take screens for comparison? I kinda regret not doing that. Would be interested in reading your impressions post update.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

What a cluster. And yet I'm not surprised.

d0c_zaius

picked up the mega pack and updated fine.

-colors do look more vibrant
-no idea how to save/load anything
-no sound coming out of system when running through HDMI :(

otherwise playing Garou and LB1 is awesome

Top Bottom