• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2014: Results and Archive

Excellent thread, Schala, and thanks everyone who voted!

Ended up pretty much like how I expected it to.

How did Divinity:OS and Velocity end up? I"m thinking around 10ish points for each just from glancing at the voting thread.

randomkid

I probably should have done a LTTP post for Megami Tensei 2 since it's all I've been able to listen to but I didn't want to become even more of a self-parody.

Bangin work, Ms. Schala.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the comments. :)

And yeah, going through the thread reading the comments, a lot of people mentioned that they HM'd Smash or 1 point'd it because it wouldn't be fair to give it a full three points for the multiplier.

How did Divinity:OS and Velocity end up? I"m thinking around 10ish points for each just from glancing at the voting thread.

Divinity:
8 points
4 people voted
1 person gave it 3
2 people gave it 2
1 person gave it 1
2 honourable mentions

Velocity:
11 points
7 people voted
2 people gave it 3 points
5 people gave it 1 point

So in other words, it doesn't even make the podium for the hypothetical pity prize. =p
I really liked it! :(

I even bumped the Kirby Music Appreciation thread because I liked it a lot.

I probably should have done a LTTP post for Megami Tensei 2 since it's all I've been able to listen to but I didn't want to become even more of a self-parody.
I was genuinely surprised that you didn't since you seemed to have a lot of stuff to say about it!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not a fan of DKC:TF in the slightest. Kind of bummed Transistor didn't fare better, thought it was the best by a significant margin, but not surprised by it.

Child of Light was really great too, glad it got some love.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Schala! I can't imagine how much time something like this takes. This is clearly a labor of love.

2014 didn't have as diverse a spread of good soundtracks as in previous years, but there were certainly some heavy hitters that I'll be remembering for years to come. Thanks to everyone who voted -- I'm still reading through and enjoying the writeups from the voting thread. Here's to 2015!

For all my recent skepticism about DKC:TF, one thing I have not being skeptical about is the amazing soundtrack. David Wise, a job well done! (As expected). Congrats to DKC:TF on taking the top prize, it's well deserved (and then some). The top 3 in general I very much agree with, although my personal taste switches MK8 and Shovel Knight.

Some pretty awesome music all-around. Well done, GAF.

jett

D-Member
I liked DKC's OST, even voted for it for second place, but virt really deserved the win.

And Smash with its collection of regurgitated music, remixes and medleys doesn't even deserve to be up for consideration among original music, but whatever.

AdanVC

What a beautiful top 5. Well done, GAF! Excellent choices all around. Now it comes my favorite part: hear some songs from each game on the list heck yesssss

Lunar15

Shovel Knight getting up to #2 is pure greatness. Bravo, GAF!

And thank you Schala for putting this together this year! Totally awesome, my favorite GAF "event".

YEAR OF THE SAX

random25

Excellent year for video game music! I hope this will get to David Wise's attention :p

Nice list overall. Well deserved recognition. Video game music the best music!

Jintor

What was the point total for DanganRonpa and SuperDanganRonpa? Sad to see it didn't break the top list :(

/edit oh answered in OP. Oh well :(

fuck man DR's soundtrack is so fucking killer... ah well. At least I know what to grab music-wise this year. Might actually push me into getting Tropical Freeze

was DKCR's OST as well regarded? It's wiseless, right? I played through on 3DS and wasn't so hot on it, but that's because I don't really listen to the game when out and about

Dad

was DKCR's OST as well regarded? It's wiseless, right? I played through on 3DS and wasn't so hot on it, but that's because I don't really listen to the game when out and about

DKCR's OST was disappointingly lackluster and was made up almost entirely of renditions of the original DKC's OST. Life in the Mines Returns was the only track that really stood out to me.

Grisby

I FORGOT ABOUT D4. Dammit. Would have tried to include it on the honorable mentions pick.

I didn't find the MK8 Sounds to be that memorable so I;m a little surprised. I'll have to que it up on youtube and listen to it without the game. Glad to see COL on there.

Thanks a lot to everyone involved, and to you Dark Schala and Ghaleon.

Yuterald

2014 was pretty rad in the muzak department and 2015's off to a good start with what I've played of Brandish. Already looking forward to the year end thread, ha!

This is an excellent top 10. Good job, GAF. :) Shovel Knight was my personal pick for #1, but it's not like I can complain about Tropical Freeze winning; it too has an incredible soundtrack and Wise is totally deserving.

I'm very happy with Shovel Knight coming in #2 and am thrilled that Jake is getting the recognition he so deeply deserves.

It's also nice to see Lightning Returns come in at #10. I'm happy that people aren't letting their distaste for that game or the FF XIII saga in general (whether it's warranted or not) make them blind to how fantastic the soundtracks for all three games are. Definitely deserving of a place in the top 10.

Awesome job on the thread, Dark Schala!

Thoraxes

Great job Schala!

Also this year was one of the more harder years for me to vote. There were many high-quality OSTs that I felt were all really equal to each other so it was really hard to pick just 3 to write about!
What was the point total for DanganRonpa and SuperDanganRonpa? Sad to see it didn't break the top list :(

/edit oh answered in OP. Oh well :(

fuck man DR's soundtrack is so fucking killer... ah well. At least I know what to grab music-wise this year. Might actually push me into getting Tropical Freeze

DR2 was my number 2! I think a link or snippet from my post will be up there once the archive is done.

David Wise is the man, fantastic results, but MK8 over Smash is a little strange. And about Bayo 2... the only track I remember is tomorrow is mine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Great work on the thread! Nice to see D4 almost make top 10, I will continue to pray for season 2 to be a thing.

I was really surprised at how little love Xrd was getting in that thread. Suppose the Dec. release date made it easy to overlook.

Jachaos

I'm surprised none of the Danganronpa games made it in :(

As answered on last page,

That's exactly what happened.
18 pts for DR1
16 pts for DR2

Had they been combined, they would have gotten into the Top 15. DR1 would have gotten into the Top 15, but Persona Q had more honourable mentions to break the tie between it and DR1.

Really unfortunate since those two soundtracks have some really unique stuff!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've seen you work on this for ages! Good job Schala, well worth the hard work :)!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks for the hard work!

I can't believe Nintendo almost got another triple win. Well deserved, I guess, but from glancing over the voting thread, I'd have thought Transistor would do better.

Revo

MOON PRIDE (Sailor Moon Crystal)
Guren no Yumiya (Attack on Titan)

Wait, that's the same person that did Bravely Default? Maybe I should give its OST a closer listen then (or finally get the game).

Child of Light being so low is a crying shame. I keep hearing Tropical Freeze mentioned, and while there are 3-4 tracks in there that are pretty solid, the others are just your standard platforming level background ambience and nothing really spectacular. Child of Light though, entire soundtrack is incredible. Transistor as well, whole soundtrack is incredible.

Oh well. Good list! and good OP

Altima

I can't see(hear) a reason why DK and MK get to top three.

Not my kind of music at all.

EDIT : Maybe OP did not post songs of my taste from those games because he did not pick the song I like from Shovel Knight as well.

About what I expected, but still deserved. The Soundtrack of the Year threads always feel less like competitions between personal favourites, and more like celebrations, unlike the Game of the Year threads. I'm not sure what the difference is exactly, but I can only imagine the difference in turn-out may have something to do with it too. Either way, thanks to everyone that helped make it happen. I also do appreciate the added giant archive, Schala.

I'm probably being blind right now but is there a list for all the games that received votes? I just want to confirm that I was the only one to include Fantasy Life in their top 3 (for shame!). :p
I liked what I heard, but I haven't played it so I couldn't in good consciousness vote for it without knowing how it is used and feels in-game. Same goes for D4's music. D4 could have easily wedged itself into my top 3, but alas. Maybe they'll have a better shot in a LTTP vote of mine in another year. :/

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
A Wise man once said he would make the dankest soundtrack ever in video games. Then he composed the soundtrack to Tropical Freeze.

I hold the belief that audio is extremely important in video games, perhaps as important as the visuals or gameplay. Excellent thread, gonna come back to it to listen to the unheards.

daydream

Banned
I liked what I heard, but I haven't played it so I couldn't in good consciousness vote for it without knowing how it is used and feels in-game. Same goes for D4's music. D4 could have easily wedged itself into my top 3, but alas. Maybe they'll have a better shot in a LTTP vote of mine in another year. :/

Fair enough! You should really play it, though. Amazing game.

Top Bottom