• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2013 TV Show of the Year ~Results!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Hannibal at 6, I'll take that, though I'd rate it second behind Breaking bad.

Completely dropped off Person of Interest and Boardwalk Empire a few episodes in to their latest seasons. Should really rectify that...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wow. No Doctor Who in the top 20... Sherlock would have made it had it aired in 2013. Only shows in the top 20 I watched were Game of Thrones & House of Cards, oh and a few episodes of Breaking Bad and Orange is the new Black.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Orange is the New Black was awful. Are people just giving it automatic bonus points for "covering gender issues"?

Yep, that's correct. It's a shit show. This is Liberal NeoGAF's TV Show of the Year. Real NeoGAF had their own separate thread. Top 5 was Big Bang Theory, NCIS, NCIS LA, Dexter, and South Beach Tow.

Servbot24

Banned
Yep, that's correct. It's a shit show. This is Liberal NeoGAF's TV Show of the Year. Real NeoGAF had their own separate thread. Top 5 was Big Bang Theory, NCIS, NCIS LA, Dexter, and South Beach Tow.

Those shows are even worse though...

I'm just not sure what people saw in it. Certainly wasn't the writing. The first couple episodes were pretty fun but it took a rather remarkable nosedive after that.

Valhelm

contribute something
I can't believe how low Arrested Development is! But 2013 was such an amazing year for television that so many good shows didn't make the top 20.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I love that my one #2 vote put Yamato in the middle of the list. lol

Too bad none of my anime brethren voted. :p

I've just done the analysis I mentioned earlier, and Enlightened comes 2nd in terms of average points with 7.95; people who watch it tend to rate it really highly.

Treme gets a HUGE boost to 3rd with 7.89, Spartacus: War of the Damned, Top of the Lake, Doctor Who and Fringe all got pretty large boosts up the ranking as well.

I'll post the full list once I have a clean way to display it!
I know I put Treme as my #1 anyway!

lednerg

Nice one!

I had only done the top 40, that's why I got Enlightened up there. I feel like the spreadsheet could use some trimming to eliminate the 1-vote shows - it feels like there should be a minimum of 8 votes or something for a show to count. I dont have a great justification for that though, just a vague assertion about statistical relevance or something.

Out of curiosity, what is your logic for the Enthusiasm/Ranking sort? I can't quite put my finger on what it's meant to represent...

** Edit: I went ahead and did it, here you go. Culled list sorted by Enthusiasm - I also added a Rank Delta to easily see which shows jumped up or down the rankings

I didn't see your edit until after I changed my spreadsheet, oh well. I used 4 votes as the threshold instead of 8 and greyed out the low vote shows.

Sorted By "Enthusiasm" (score / votes)

Tabs on the bottom switch between the other spreadsheets.

anaron

Those shows are even worse though...

I'm just not sure what people saw in it. Certainly wasn't the writing. The first couple episodes were pretty fun but it took a rather remarkable nosedive after that.
Stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Glad everyone likes the thread :) It ended up taking me a little longer than I expected, but better late then never eh?

From the looks of it, there are quite a few shows that I need to catch up on. The problem is that there are already so many great shows on the air right now, that the prospect of starting a 106 hour long episode series (Good Wife I'm looking at you!) is extremely daunting to say the least. Arrow is one of the more manageable ones out of the bunch, but 34 episodes is still quite a time commitment. Perhaps I can sneak in an episode or two every few weeks or so.

I've just done the analysis I mentioned earlier, and Enlightened comes 2nd in terms of average points with 7.95; people who watch it tend to rate it really highly.

Treme gets a HUGE boost to 3rd with 7.89, Spartacus: War of the Damned, Top of the Lake, Doctor Who and Fringe all got pretty large boosts up the ranking as well.

Orphan Black, The Americans, Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn Nine-Nine all suffered pretty heavy drops in the ranks.

I'll post the full list once I have a clean way to display it!

lol, I just did what you're talking about in a spreadsheet on Google Docs. Great minds...

Sorted by Original Ranking
Sorted by Enthusiasm / Ranking
Sorted by Enthusiasm Only

Cool stuff, guys! Thanks for putting all that together!

Surprised (in a good way) at Hannibal, surprised (in a bad way) about a couple others in the top ten.

Overall pretty great list. Good work Ratsky.

Necrovex

I love that my one #2 vote put Yamato in the middle of the list. lol

Too bad none of my anime brethren voted. :p

I know I put Treme as my #1 anyway!

We stay in our own thread for voting. We cannot associate ourselves with people watching show that has 3D models. 2D all the way!

Very solid list, forgot to list mine but my major votes got into the top ten, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards. This thread reminds me that I should watch the new season of Arrow, Hannibal, and Enlightened.

TripOpt55

I was just thinking about this and searched for it. I am always late to the results threads! Great job with the thread. Hey I even got a couple quotes featured :D

maeh2k

From the looks of it, there are quite a few shows that I need to catch up on. The problem is that there are already so many great shows on the air right now, that the prospect of starting a 106 hour long episode series (Good Wife I'm looking at you!) is extremely daunting to say the least.

Yeah, I'm still missing Breaking Bad. I'll have to watch the show some time. I stopped watching in the middle of the first season when it originally aired, but it's been hyped so much that I need to give it another shot.
And I kind of want to rewatch The Wire in its entirety.
No idea when I can fit those in. There are too many current shows to keep up with. I should probably cut some not-so-great shows from my list, but I'm somewhat bad at just stopping shows. They might get good at any time :)

DominoKid

is Arrow family friendly like Shield? Not been on my radar until now but looks interesting

SHIELD is more family friendly outside of a few truly shocking moments (burned alive, the brain scene). But I'd show a kid Arrow before SHIELD just because it's a way better comic book show.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm aware of that, I'm saying that his comment made no sense. He seemed to assume I don't like Orange because I'm in the Big Bang crowd. Unless I misread him.

That one.

Glad everyone likes the thread :) It ended up taking me a little longer than I expected, but better late then never eh?

From the looks of it, there are quite a few shows that I need to catch up on. The problem is that there are already so many great shows on the air right now, that the prospect of starting a 106 hour long episode series (Good Wife I'm looking at you!) is extremely daunting to say the least. Arrow is one of the more manageable ones out of the bunch, but 34 episodes is still quite a time commitment. Perhaps I can sneak in an episode or two every few weeks or so.

I watched the entire series of The Good Wife in 4 weeks. It's possible. Just watch two or three episodes a night, you'll be done by in no time. TOTALLY worth it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I should probably cut some not-so-great shows from my list, but I'm somewhat bad at just stopping shows. They might get good at any time :)

I'm really bad at this as well. I tend to only drop shows that I dislike in a really visceral way and, (un)fortunately, all of the "not bad" shows that I watch are just that - not bad enough for me to drop.

I take full responsibility for Enlightened not making the top ten. :'(

So, it was you! >:O

I watched the entire series of The Good Wife in 4 weeks. It's possible. Just watch two or three episodes a night, you'll be done by in no time. TOTALLY worth it.

Damn, I've been watching Battlestar Galactica since the beginning of January (2 episodes a day) and I still have about one season left - that's only about half of The Good Wife! You must've just blown through it!

Linius

Thanks for the great work Ratsky, I'm really content with the results too. I've seen and enjoyed 15 of the top 20 shows. Though I'm not sure yet if that's good or bad in my case of having a life etc. Thanks for adding me to the OP :D

anaron

Sad I didn't vote this year due to life getting in the way of TV watching, but as penance, I take full responsibility for Enlightened not making the top ten. :'( .
Icarus!

qOY303T.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Maybe we should create a voting thread for Neogaf All Time Best TV show? Or something like Neogaf TV reccomendation thread?

actual results if we did a 2014 Neogaf All Time Best TV show thread:
1. breaking bad
2. game of thrones
3. the wire
4. the shield
5. seinfeld
6. talking bad
7. breaking bad
8. breaking bad season 5 part 2
9. the episode of breaking bad where shit hits the fan
10. deadwood

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
1. breaking bad
2. game of thrones
3. the wire
4. the shield
5. community
6. talking bad
7. breaking bad
10. deadwood

Fixed for accuracy.

Sober

1. breaking bad
2. game of thrones
3. the wire
4. the shield
5. seinfeld
6. talking bad
7. breaking bad
10. deadwood
Someone on SomethingAwful actually listed Talking Dead as their #1 show of the year, but I'm sure it was a troll account. But still, got a lot of people riled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom