• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron

Yes Boss! said:
Wow, looks great Baron!

What are (and where did you buy) the button connectors and the nice wire? Was that stuff from Akihabara? I think I'll probably clean up my first ghetto mod I did a few months back on my SFIV stick (below) and make it professional like yours...and I'm anticipating having to do it again for the upcoming Death Smiles.

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated. The connectors on the buttons are standard 0.110" female quick disconnects, and the bluish vinyl ends you see on them there are called "Taito sleeves", they are hollow vinyl sleeves that the wired QDs slide into. Both of these bits are available from Akihabarashop, yes. The wire is just standard stranded insulated wire, I believe 20 gauge. I likey the red.

I did just that with this stick, went back and prettied up a previously done wire job. I feel much happier with it now, and it was fun re-doing it too.

_dementia said:
Excellent wiring Baron.

The Joystick isn't sitting at regulation height is it?

Thanks, _dementia. And no, I don't believe the stick sits at regulation height - I could be wrong, though. It's almost if not the same height as my HRAPs.

gkryhewy

My TE top cover (360) was one of the ones that arrived somewhat scratched from the factory. No big deal, but a little annoying, and I figured that if Mad Catz is servicing them, why not?

So I emailed CS, and was given the option of sending the stick back to have the cover replaced, or just receiving a new cover in the mail to replace myself. Obviously I'm going with option B, and I thought it was really cool that they provided that option.

Cheers, Mad Catz!

I found a couple of Seimitsu LS-32 sticks (a used pair) and dropped one in my SE.

1) Was able to use all four screws, no problem.
2) Didn't have to force or strongarm anything.
3) Of course, had to wire it up because it isn't an LS-32-01 i.e. doesn't have a PCB. This was no problem. You can actually insert stripped (unstranded) wire ends straight into the harness connector and it works perfectly, so that's what I wired the stick up with.

It's great. I prefer it over Sanwa for shmups and classic arcade games.

Yes Boss!

Well, I guess I'll post this here since it is in the other thread. I'm not pulling the trigger on this one but I'd like to see a high-res photo of the HRAP if anybody has it.

beuihg.jpg

*yawn*

Oh Hori.

It blows my mind they're even too lazy to shift the button orientation to match the arcade game it's promoting. But then again they wouldn't be able to reuse the standard circuit board for their soldered button pins.

smh

Yes Boss! said:
On a side note: that chick with the beany is hot...I think I'll pick her as my character.

blazblue-26480-9740-1.jpg
Yeah, Noel.

She looks really fun to play. I want to main her too. She's mid-tier, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I'll play at a level where it'll matter :lol

Yes Boss!

I've not really been following the game much...just gonna figure it out when it streets.

So, I guess the TE probably has the most useful layout for this game since the cab is Vewlix. I hope there is an option to shut down the unnecessary buttons (not a fan of button plugs).

I'm sure we will see a custom mod of the TE with Noel eventually.

Noelfull.jpg

C- Warrior said:
So several days ago I received my sanwa buttons and LS-32-01 seimetsu joy stick.

When installing them onto my Se fightstick, I notice how had to remove the moutning plate adn rotate it. Furthermore, it seems only two of the four screws are useable when finally mounting it to the fighstick unit. Is this normal?

I posted this on the last page -- didn't really get a response, I'm hoping somebody has experience with the LS-32-01.

Baron

C- Warrior said:
I posted this on the last page -- didn't really get a response, I'm hoping somebody has experience with the LS-32-01.

I've got experience with the LS-32-01. One situation involved switching out the stock Sanwa JLF stick in a HRAP2:SA for an LS-32-01. There are only two screw mount points to use for its mounting plate n that situation, and it has held just fine for some time with that. It's not an issue at all.

As for rotating the PCB, it isn't an issue either.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The BB stick is not an HRAP. I'll post a pic of it when I can. ;)

_dementia said:
I'm having a much worse experience with MadCatz CS.

Who are you dealing with? Let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

MarkMan said:
Who are you dealing with? Let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.
I PMed you. I don't the name of the representative I spoke with, but if the RMA number can help, I can get that to you. Please, if there is anything at all you could do to expedite the process in any way I'd be grateful. It's been almost a month.

DiddyBop

dralla said:
I can't believe I still can't find an arcade stick.

what the fuck :[
im sure the situation will stabilize in a few months. im glad i prepared my custom stick in december,who knew the demand would be this crazy?

Yes Boss!

dralla said:
I can't believe I still can't find an arcade stick.

what the fuck :[

Like someone said earlier, Hori has the HRAP SA rereleasing on their Japan store at the end of this very month. If you need a PS3 option I'm sure there would be a way to snag one.

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Looks like Tourney Editions in stock at Gamestop?

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...yword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=fightstick

Both PS3 and 360

Nice, pulled the trigger on a 360 version which I'm modding into a Princess Peach Wii stick. Hopefully it arrives.

Also, judgment got the better of me and I preordered the PS3 BlazBlue stick.

So, is this the fabled April rerelease? If so, might be a little too late but nice to see Madcatz finally be able to cash-in on the SFIV craze.

Yes Boss! said:
Nice, pulled the trigger on a 360 version which I'm modding into a Princess Peach Wii stick. Hopefully it arrives.

Also, judgment got the better of me and I preordered the PS3 BlazBlue stick.

So, is this the fabled April rerelease? If so, might be a little too late but nice to see Madcatz finally be able to cash-in on the SFIV craze.
Wow, be sure to update us with a stick family photo!

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
Wow, be sure to update us with a stick family photo!

I will, along with my Death Smiles which arrives in a few weeks.

Let me know if this mod is a good idea. I wanna make a custom Princess Peach Wii stick so If I do indeed get the 360 TE from Gamestop I'm modding my PS3 TE by gutting the Sony functionality and putting in a Hori PCB that I've already bought and stashing the Wiimote somehow in the cord storage department for full wireless. Gotta paint the bezel Pink as well.

Only iPhone photos since my camera is on loan to somebody in Europe.

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0235-1.jpg

dfyb

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Let me know if this mod is a good idea. [/IMG]
why not leave the PS3 PCB and have a dual stick...? i ordered a 360 stick today and plan on throwing in a cthuhlu for a dual PS360 stick

Yes Boss!

dfyb said:
why not leave the PS3 PCB and have a dual stick...? i ordered a 360 stick today and plan on throwing in a cthuhlu for a dual PS360 stick

I've already got a half dozen PS3 sticks. It is frustrating to no end that there are no high-end Wii sticks and the TE is the least obtrusive...after I'm done with it there will be no trace of its PS3 origins except that almost invisible home button. I plan to break apart the Wiimote and mount the battery and home button inside the flip-down door in the back for convenient access...perhaps mounting the IR camera pointing out. I assume it is doable but I can't find any examples online so I'll have to work it out myself.

milkham

Here's my ghetto stick, i got the idea after seeing the guy who made the sticks out of aluminum Nintendo DS cases. It's not quite finished I just have to wire up the barrier strips and get some more quick disconnects and make a little channel to feed the controller cable out.

The parts are the hori buttons from my hrap3 that I posted earlier, and the agetec stick out of my upcoming agetec axisdaptor stick which will have a jlf. The box is Commercial-Grade Plastic Case from the container store, its the smallest one. There's still room in there to store a ps1/2 to ps3 adapter that i haven't ordered yet. I was thinking that one of the larger cases may be able to fit a psone with lcd screen too. The box is dual layered plastic so its pretty rigid on the top and bottom but the side flexes like crazy so my drilling went off for the start and select buttons.

3427638459_36276c49fd_o.jpg

3430290057_ab1688ac9d.jpg

3431239748_755c271bce_o.jpg

3431265778_2c150731d1_o.jpg

it's kind of tall, its taller than an HRAP, i was thinking of adding rubber feet but that might make it too tall to be comfortable.

That is a badass case. I would like to see someone take in one step further so that the case is normal on the outside and when you open the case, the arcade stick is setup inside.

Kind of like those bomb computers in the movies where it looks like a suitcase from the outside and when you open it up there is a computer inside. You could even make padding cut-outs to protect the stick and buttons.

That would be REALLY sweet.

CPS2

NorrenRadd said:
That is a badass case. I would like to see someone take in one step further so that the case is normal on the outside and when you open the case, the arcade stick is setup inside.

Kind of like those bomb computers in the movies where it looks like a suitcase from the outside and when you open it up there is a computer inside. You could even make padding cut-outs to protect the stick and buttons.

That would be REALLY sweet.

That's what I'm gonna be doing for my custom.

Decado said:
Soooo...have some arcade sticks become available yet? Or does the shortage continue.

Within the last 24 hrs a couple retailers have posted stock online and quickly sold out. I think the answer to your question would be 'no'.

Vinsanity

Yes Boss! said:
I've already got a half dozen PS3 sticks. It is frustrating to no end that there are no high-end Wii sticks and the TE is the least obtrusive...after I'm done with it there will be no trace of its PS3 origins except that almost invisible home button. I plan to break apart the Wiimote and mount the battery and home button inside the flip-down door in the back for convenient access...perhaps mounting the IR camera pointing out. I assume it is doable but I can't find any examples online so I'll have to work it out myself.
Great idea--hope it works out. Since you're breaking apart the Wiimote anyway, would it be possible to mod the home button on the TE to work as the home button for the Wiimote?

Baron

liposome said:
Great idea--hope it works out. Since you're breaking apart the Wiimote anyway, would it be possible to mod the home button on the TE to work as the home button for the Wiimote?

I'm sure with a little forethought this could be done. The whole Wiimote integration is kind of similar to what I had planned on doing with my Wii stick - sticking the Wiimote pcb inside the stick housing, removing the accelerometer and IR camera and orienting them so the whole stick itself could function as a Wiimote. Yes Boss's talking about it has now got me thinking about doing it again. Damn you!

dralla

I got a TE stick from beachaudio :] how's the modabilty on these things? even worth it after spending so much on it in the first place?

DiddyBop

dralla said:
I got a TE stick from beachaudio :] how's the modabilty on these things? even worth it after spending so much on it in the first place?
the only thing worth changing is the artwork. the buttons and joystick are already the very best you can get. the only reason why youd change is the buttons is if you wanted it to match your new artwork if you decide to go that route, but it really isnt worth it imo.

decon

No one could help me in the SF4 thread so here goes again:

Okay where the hell can I order a HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3 that ships it to EU? Seriously, I've been waiting like 8 weeks for play-asia to get restocked!

Please I want a new stick :(

Anime/Comic T&A incoming..

Making plexiglass cover is harder than I thought here's the results of my mod:
Removed last set of buttons, dual pcb mod (cthulu) with dpdt switch and changed joystick top, I also painstakingly went and vectored the high res source art material:
I'm waiting to get my hands on an Imp board that allows system switching without requiring a switch to be installed.
IMG_0037.jpg

And for a friend just the art mod:
IMG_0036-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom