• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
corkscrewblow said:
Wow I'm enjoying this octagon gate far more than my square gate. Even with charge characters I'm not doing any miss inputs like I was all last night using square. Buffalo headbutt -> ultra is MUCH easier with the octagon and I'm not sure why. Haven't missed it once. I think I might be getting better with this stick finally!

Sigh, I've been waiting for over a month now for my octoganal gates from LL. It's been so long now that my second TE stick is going to be in my hands before they arrive (shipped yesterday from Amazon). I'm definitely getting better bit by bit but I can't find my up, down, left and right when I really need them. Hats off to all of you who are really good with the square gates, you must have phenomally accurate wrist control.

Baron

AFreak said:
Ok, I got some money for my birthday, and well I bought a Fightpad for 360(got one for 40 shipped, so said why not), but I'm willing to sell it if I can make a great Arcade stick for around $100 or $120. Mostly want it for SF4 and Genesis Ultimate Collection(can't stand the 360 D-Pad).

However, I have never made anything electronic in my life besides putting together my PC, and then I had a friend help plus it was pretty easy...this seems hard and just want to know what you guys think a good stick should be like?

If you're a complete newbie with the whole stick situation, I recommend looking through the Shoryuken Tech Talk forum - there is an abundance of information there, specifically check out the stickied starter threads at the top.

You're asking way too broad questions, though. Everyone's ideal stick will differ somehow. Some people like playing with American-style Happ parts, others like Japanese-style parts. Some like one particular Japanese manufacturer over another - Sanwa versus Seimitsu. It gets complicated. :p But basically, if a stick responds well, can stand up to some punishment and a few years of use, all the while being comfortable to use, I'd consider it a very good stick.

If you want to make a 360 stick, you can probably get all the parts you need for around the price you mentioned, but there still exists the issue of a case to put it all in. You can spend from $50 up to $200 on a really nice case. But a hacked 360 pad PCB, stick, buttons, and various other bits would probably be about $100 bucks or so.

The famed Pizza Stick is one idea.

pizza_stick.jpg

AFreak

Banned
Baron said:
If you're a complete newbie with the whole stick situation, I recommend looking through the Shoryuken Tech Talk forum - there is an abundance of information there, specifically check out the stickied starter threads at the top.

You're asking way too broad questions, though. Everyone's ideal stick will differ somehow. Some people like playing with American-style Happ parts, others like Japanese-style parts. Some like one particular Japanese manufacturer over another - Sanwa versus Seimitsu. It gets complicated. :p But basically, if a stick responds well, can stand up to some punishment and a few years of use, all the while being comfortable to use, I'd consider it a very good stick.

If you want to make a 360 stick, you can probably get all the parts you need for around the price you mentioned, but there still exists the issue of a case to put it all in. You can spend from $50 up to $200 on a really nice case. But a hacked 360 pad PCB, stick, buttons, and various other bits would probably be about $100 bucks or so.

The famed Pizza Stick is one idea.

pizza_stick.jpg

Yeah, I'm a complete Newbie, so thanks for the forum, I'll read through it and see what I think.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
My MadCatz TE, finally finished!

nrxstick.jpg

nrxstick2.jpg

The design is by me, and the art is an original piece of Bengus/CRMK art in Copic marker acquired with the aid of Matthew "Slasher Quan" Taylor back in the day. Young Ryu was on the left in the original piece, both figures on a plain white background -- much like Bengus's illustrations for the Street Fighter Zero 1 Gamest mook.

TRIVIA: The stamp is a stylized seal script 隆, Ryu. The slogan is the classic Ryu quote, 俺より強い奴に会いに行く ("I'm going to go find someone stronger than me").

I printed it at a Kinkos, and I'm just not satisfied with the quality. Does anyone know of a better option? Perhaps somewhere I could send away and have it printed on vinyl, or something? I'm used to CMYK plate printing, and Kinkos is just not doing it for me.

Aokage

_dementia said:
needs more logos

I tried to think of more to add! I have a hardcore logo fetish. I was thisclose to putting QSound on there, but somehow it didn't seem right...

Aokage said:
I tried to think of more to add! I have a hardcore logo fetish. I was thisclose to putting QSound on there, but somehow it didn't seem right...
Dimps, Madcatz, Sanwa Denshi could have appeared next to Capcom.

As for the printing dilemma, I hear great things about mamemarquees.com's polycarbonate prints. The stuff on the site looks rather garish but they do offer custom printing.

Aokage

_dementia said:
Dimps, Madcatz, Sanwa Denshi could have appeared next to Capcom.

Ohhh snap! Seimitsu too. Yes, yes... more delicious logos to vectorize for Stick Version 2...

mamemarquees.com looks very, very interesting. I think I'm gonna try 'em. Much appreciated!

So Japan is threatening to shoot down North Korea missles...

About the same time frame is when Akihabara and Lizardlick stopped taking orders...

I mean seriously...how retarded is the situation...that we can't get parts...and they keep blaming SFIV. Wouldn't Sanwa and Seimitsu ramp up production with the release of a high-profile fighter...with Blaz Blue and KOFXII following afterward?

btrick

So I'm a newb at the arcade stick market, so can anyone recommend me a good wireless arcade stick? (if such a thing even exists...)

i've been playing a lot of SF4 on the ps3 and I'm looking to ditch the crappy controller.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Spiderjericho said:
So Japan is threatening to shoot down North Korea missles...

About the same time frame is when Akihabara and Lizardlick stopped taking orders...

I mean seriously...how retarded is the situation...that we can't get parts...and they keep blaming SFIV. Wouldn't Sanwa and Seimitsu ramp up production with the release of a high-profile fighter...with Blaz Blue and KOFXII following afterward?
I hope WWIII doesn't break out because that would make it really hard to get arcade stick parts.

I got a Hori EX2 because it was literally the only arcade stick I could find in a 200 mile radius. But the stick feels a little loose and I don't care for all the clicking noises. Is there an easy mod or will I just have to invest in one of the better sticks?

SapientWolf said:
I hope WWIII doesn't break out because that would make it really hard to get arcade stick parts.

I got a Hori EX2 because it was literally the only arcade stick I could find in a 200 mile radius. But the stick feels a little loose and I don't care for all the clicking noises. Is there an easy mod or will I just have to invest in one of the better sticks?

There's a few thread floating around SRK on how to modify the EX2 (they might be in the OP Markman posted)...also...I want to say either Baron or Yes Boss have modded their EX2s and have posted pictures. All of the Japanese style sticks have clicking sounds...it's just the nature of the beast...I like it.

Nikorasu

Hey all. A store nearby just got a Madcatz stick in, regular edition. Chances of them getting any TEs is slim to nil. Is it worth picking this one up? How is it for modding (will probably be getting higher-grade buttons and stick) and does it hold up to rigorous play? It's the last one they have and I'm heading out soon so I don't have a whole lot of time to read up on this thing, sorry.

Nikorasu said:
Hey all. A store nearby just got a Madcatz stick in, regular edition. Chances of them getting any TEs is slim to nil. Is it worth picking this one up? How is it for modding (will probably be getting higher-grade buttons and stick) and does it hold up to rigorous play? It's the last one they have and I'm heading out soon so I don't have a whole lot of time to read up on this thing, sorry.

It's a nice stick for modding but the stock parts are bad.

MrMephistoX

Nikorasu said:
How bad...say, compared to the hori EX2?

Bad... I acually liked my EX-2 SCIV edition ( not sure if they improved the quality over time?) but the SE stick is pure garbage. The case is awesome though and I'm sure I'd love it after modding but I got a good deal on the Real Arcade Pro 3: free for my bday ;)

Nikorasu

MrMephistoX said:
Bad... I acually liked my EX-2 SCIV edition ( not sure if they improved the quality over time?) but the SE stick is pure garbage. The case is awesome though and I'm sure I'd love it after modding but I got a good deal on the Real Arcade Pro 3: free for my bday ;)

Heh, yeah it really is terrible. You really have to pound the buttons to make them register and the stick likes to, well...stick. The build is really nice though. Very heavy and solid and it's a great size. Works wonderfully on my pc with no configuration too.
I have a sanwa stick and some seimitsu buttons coming (sometime...everyone seems backordered). I'm just not sure if I should get a mounting plate for the JLF.

I was in the local game market in Hong Kong and I brought this 360 stick. As I left my Hori stick back in England and I have not seen a Madcatz stick localy I decided to get it.

I had a demo first and the buttons and stick feel nice.

DSC05890.jpg

DSC05891.jpg

It is really cheaply made, the demo stick in the store did not have the artwork on it just plain black. I actually asked if they has one without art as it's poorly printed on paper and it's going to wear off really quickly anyway.
The stick is responsive and the buttons are OK, but not great. Also the buttons were scratched as I know the factory must have had these delivered in a plastick bag so the metal contacts have scraped the plastic topt in tranport.
The top of the board is made of solid wood and the suction cups on the bottom are really strong. Despite it's looks it's generally better than my Hori. It has a wonderful hand-made hack feel to it, despite being a comercial product.

I did wonder how they managed to get around the problem of the 360 security chip that stops unlicenced controllers working. I looked inside.

And saw how hand made this really was!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i use an imported hori pad on my 360, and i've never heard of peripherals being region locked, so you should be fine

Nikorasu

If anyone could point me towards someplace selling white seimitsu PS-14-K(N?)s I would be most appreciative. They seem to be sold out everywhere. :(

EDIT: Another one: Is it possible to use a JLF GT-Y octogate with a seimitsu LS-32-01?

Baron

buffi said:
They do.
LS-32-01 has a square gate.
Donkey Show is mistaken.

There is a circle sub-gate available for the LS-32, though, in case Nikoraku is looking for an alternative to the stock square one. I have one installed on the LS-32 in my HRAP2:SA. It feels great.

btrick said:
So I'm a newb at the arcade stick market, so can anyone recommend me a good wireless arcade stick? (if such a thing even exists...)

i've been playing a lot of SF4 on the ps3 and I'm looking to ditch the crappy controller.

As far as I know, there isn't one. I've been looking around for the same thing for quite a while.

Yes Boss!

Any Arcana Heart fans here getting the Hori stick release for AH2? I did not see it for sale at any importers.

Also, anybody have any idea what the print run for the EX-SE was? I see Hori just did some type of lottery for the second run. Seems silly that they don't just rerelease it properly given all the fighters and shooters streeting.

Baron

Yes Boss! said:
Any Arcana Heart fans here getting the Hori stick release for AH2? I did not see it for sale at any importers.

Also, anybody have any idea what the print run for the EX-SE was? I see Hori just did some type of lottery for the second run. Seems silly that they don't just rerelease it properly given all the fighters and shooters streeting.

Is it seriously not even getting a proper second manufacturing? Wow - this has got to be the most limited release stick Hori's ever made. I'm pleased I was able to score one. I was thinking about adding a Saturn PCB to the thing, but given the fact that it exists in such limited quantities I may just keep it stock and mod another stick instead

I thought I read somewhere that the first run was 1000 or so, but I have no source for that.

Baron said:
Is it seriously not even getting a proper second manufacturing? Wow - this has got to be the most limited release stick Hori's ever made.
No it isn't. The original HRAP SE for PS2 was limited to only 400 units. That's Hori's most limited stick.

taku

Team Klimt said:
Gorgeous^
Thanks man! It's actually just temporary until I can find the time to cut out a plastic sheet for some real art. It was really hard to cut that fabric without messing it all up >_>

This stick would look much better if it was all white. Any advice on how to paint it and what kind of paint I should use? Anyone?

taku said:
Thanks man! It's actually just temporary until I can find the time to cut out a plastic sheet for some real art. It was really hard to cut that fabric without messing it all up >_>

This stick would look much better if it was all white. Any advice on how to paint it and what kind of paint I should use? Anyone?
Vinyl die would work much better than paint. Since you're staining the plastic itself, it won't scratch off like paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom