• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPS2

gregor7777 said:
OK, so for the project I posted a few posts back.

Somewhere along the line that TV I have installed in it got fucked. Won't even turn on.

Now I have a problem. CRTs are easy enough to come by on Craigslist, but I wonder if anyone has had any experience with arcade cabs and LCD monitors.

I loved the CRT 'look' because it seemed authentic, but it would be soooo much easier (and more lightweight) to install a flat panel instead.

Are modern arcade machines running LCD's these days? I haven't been in an proper arcade in years.

EDIT: (post #829)

Newer arcade boards use VGA and DVI, so if you choose that route you've got a lot of options, and it's also far easier to get Mame going. If you check http://www.system16.com/ they show which outputs the different systems have.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Got a few PMs re: modding the EX2. It was an adventure. I deviated a bit and used wires for 4 of the 6 buttons.

IMG_0999-2.jpg

Askia47

MarkMan said:
Don't worry, it might feel a bit odd at first, but after you get used to JPN style sticks it plays like a dream! (assuming you can adapt well!) ^_^

Yeah, I'm playing SF3 on mame and its tricky, especially getting off Super Arts. I feel as thought im too rough with it though. :p However I do enjoy it though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I think if you're looking for a quality stick you should just go for the HRAPEX. Either that or get a custom. I wouldn't exactly call the X-Arcade a quality stick....

I doubt that there will be an official adapter for use of it on the 360 too.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just played with my new EX2 for a little.

My thoughts:
-way better than a game pad but I pretty much need an 8 way gate. square gate is death to dragon punches.

-I thought the "Japanese" style stick would bother me, because I've only ever played on tight HAPP sticks, but I really think I like the looser feel more. Replacing the ball with a bat top will really seal the deal.

-new buttons are also a must, it's a shame I can't fit convex buttons in, though.

CPS2

Got my HRAPEX and chucked in some Sanwa buttons...

ex.jpg

I'll be getting some skeletal buttons, new balltops and some hole plugs pretty soon, make it look a little nicer. Tested it out and it plays brilliantly =]

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
jon bones said:
wow, looks great! what's the complete list of mods?

Gate:
Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate

Buttons:
PS-14-KN 30mm Pushbutton with Vertical Microswitch

Ball-Top
Seimitsu LB-39 Clear Joystick Ball Top

Buttons were the most difficult part, by far. The rest was very simple.

shas'la

UC1 said:
Got my HRAPEX and chucked in some Sanwa buttons...

ex.jpg

I'll be getting some skeletal buttons, new balltops and some hole plugs pretty soon, make it look a little nicer. Tested it out and it plays brilliantly =]

I hate you.

CPS2

MarkMan said:
UC1 did you swap the quick DCs for the button placement too?
I left it as is for now. I can understand why you'd change them, if say you want to plug it in to another console and play a specific game without remapping the keys, but this controller's gonna be staying here for the most part and I can just remap the keys in-game. I'm thinking of building a stick inside an attache case, for the purpose of making it really portable. Ideally it'd split into 2 sections and have a controller in each one...

Def Jukie said:
That looks slick UC1. Is that stick wired or wireless?
It's just wired.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I'm looking to pick up a good stick for the 360. Problem is, I suck at modding in parts. Should I just look to pick up a custom stick off SRK or are their other options that are around the same quality as the VFHG for PS3?

Kintaro said:
So, I'm looking to pick up a good stick for the 360. Problem is, I suck at modding in parts. Should I just look to pick up a custom stick off SRK or are their other options that are around the same quality as the VFHG for PS3?
You could pick up the HORI Real Arcade Pro EX, which has a Sanwa stick. I think the buttons are still lower quality HORI clone parts, but they're easier to swap for actual arcade-spec buttons than the HORI Fighting Stick EX, your only other option.

Kintaro

_dementia said:
You could pick up the HORI Real Arcade Pro EX, which has a Sanwa stick. I think the buttons are still lower quality HORI clone parts, but they're easier to swap for actual arcade-spec buttons than the HORI Fighting Stick EX, your only other option.

So, basically keep my eyes peeled on PlayAsia for the EX.

goldenticket said:
so i have a green goblin and i just want a better stick and buttons put in. can anyone reccomend a person/business that will do this? im in los angeles so if they are local that would be great.

bump

"So, basically keep my eyes peeled on PlayAsia for the EX."

You could also get an Arcade-in-a-box 360 stick made to your specs (American/Japanese layout, what kind of stick, what kind of buttons). I do believe a GAFfer received one a few weeks ago.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
goldenticket said:

I'm not sure of anyone locally within Los Angeles, but there are a ton of good places to get parts quickly.

I would suggest contacting Chad at Lizard Lick - www.lizardlick.com .

The Dreamcast Agetec/Ascii stick can be modded with Sanwa/Seimitsu parts.

Another option is to go with Rollie Electronics, you can contact them on SRK in this thread:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=159821 (his email is listed here)..

Kintaro

Teknopathetic said:

You could also get an Arcade-in-a-box 360 stick made to your specs (American/Japanese layout, what kind of stick, what kind of buttons). I do believe a GAFfer received one a few weeks ago.

Hmmm...either way I'll be shelling out some dough huh? That EX2 looked like a pain to customize too. =(

tribal24

Banned
ok im getting a arcade stick soon for soul calibur and i want to know which are the best and the worst arcade sticks and what peices do i need to mod ?

Kintaro

Teknopathetic said:
You could wait and see what Capcom's official SF4 stick comes out like.

True...I think I'll just pick up the SC4 one for now and hope for some hotness when SF4 hits.

MARKMAN BETTER NOT LET ME DOWN! :D

My friend just got finished modding my VSHG and its fucking amazing, so nice for VF5 and Soulcalibur XBLA, it works great for DoA4 too, but after playing so much VF5, DOA just makes me angry and want to break thing with how in accurate it is :p ....still fun a fun game, just not worth modding a stick for :p

Kintaro

Nobiru said:
My friend just got finished modding my VSHG and its fucking amazing, so nice for VF5 and Soulcalibur XBLA, it works great for DoA4 too, but after playing so much VF5, DOA just makes me angry and want to break thing with how in accurate it is :p ....still fun a fun game, just not worth modding a stick for :p

Wait, how did he mod it?

Xapati

ok im getting a arcade stick soon for soul calibur and i want to know which are the best and the worst arcade sticks and what peices do i need to mod ?

I'm in the same boat. I'm a real noob when it comes to arcade sticks. I was thinking of picking up the Hori EX2 arcade stick as it seems to be an introductory stick, but I really have no clue. Are there any good articles on Arcade Sticks, everything I come across seems to be for people who already know their stuff.

Teknopathetic said:

Unfortunately he got banned it seems. I wouldn't mind more information on these, but I wouldn't have a clue which customization to choose.

VaLiancY

This thread shall be my bible since I'm getting back into fighting games. A lot of good material to read, thanks for posting everyone. I find myself reading SRK more than GAF now. :lol

Gaogaogao

Is there a decent bluetooth stick for ps3? thinking about getting one for soul caliber, but im too far away for usb. Im not that seriously into fighting games, it would be my first arcade stick and if I cant find one the dualshock 3 is fine too.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If you want a Bluetooth PS3 stick, you're better off hacking a SIXAXIS or DS3 and making a custom stick.

There are no wireless arcade sticks (good ones) for PS3.

qcf x2

idk how you guys can use those tops. I made the mistake of purchasing the DoA4 stick recently to use with Mame & my 360. I hate it. I miss my $30 pelican behemoth that I had for ps2/xbox. A pity it doesn't work with my usb converters.

I guess I still need an arcade stick...because this isn't going to cut it. I can't even grip the thing and it's so light that I can't rest it on my lap. Oh well, guess I'll be coughing up $100 for someone to make me a custom one.

Ok I just got a Dreamcast, now I've heard some mixed reactions to the X-Arcade stick that has separate adapters you can buy, but for $120 it looks the part.

twoplayer1.jpg

Any personal experience or recommendation with this thing guys?
Are the buttons solid? How does the stick feel? Should I go for the one or two player option?

Otherwise, what's a better arcade stick for the Dreamcast that I can buy?

permutated said:
Ok I just got a Dreamcast, now I've heard some mixed reactions to the X-Arcade stick that has separate adapters you can buy, but for $120 it looks the part.

twoplayer1.jpg

Are the buttons solid? How does the stick feel? Should I go for the one or two player option?

Shit I came in here to ask about a X-Arcade Dual as well. Anyone? As a reference point does anyone have any experience with this unit and either the official dreamcast sticks or the Capcom Street Fighter Anniversary stick?

ollin

Where's the best place to order the HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3 for the PS3 shipped to the US. Play Asia has it but shipping is too expensive.

rocK`

Banned
permutated said:

twoplayer1.jpg

don't.

just, don't.

akuma001

ollin said:
Where's the best place to order the HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3 for the PS3 shipped to the US. Play Asia has it but shipping is too expensive.

if you have an account on srk there is a guy selling the amazon hrap3's for like 135 shipped. check for a user named stridajin in the trading forum.

permutated said:
Care to say why? Or offer an alternative for the Dreamcast.

Cheaply made, yet overpriced.

In the BYOAC realm, it's laughed at because we can make controls 2x the quality for a fraction of the price.

That said, I don't know what they retail for these days.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
qcf x2 said:
idk how you guys can use those tops. I made the mistake of purchasing the DoA4 stick recently to use with Mame & my 360. I hate it. I miss my $30 pelican behemoth that I had for ps2/xbox. A pity it doesn't work with my usb converters.

I guess I still need an arcade stick...because this isn't going to cut it. I can't even grip the thing and it's so light that I can't rest it on my lap. Oh well, guess I'll be coughing up $100 for someone to make me a custom one.

I have an EX2 (same as the DoA4/SCIV stick) and I hate the balltop. Luckily I found this easy mod to throw an 8 way gate and bat top in:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149488&referrerid=13029

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom