• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
permutated said:
Care to say why? Or offer an alternative for the Dreamcast.

I had a dreamcast, your best bet is to use a Total Control adapter. You can use any Saturn Joystick. MAS systems builds great sticks with Happ parts and you can get a Saturn hookup for it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I just ordered a Sanwa bat top kit and Sanwa octagon gate for my Hori EX 2 stick. Question though, I don't have the proper tools at the moment to do a button swap, are the Seimitsu PS-14-KN(the ones DaCoco used) buttons the only ones that will work with this stick?

akuma001

here is a slide switch dual 360/ps3 hrap3 made for bookey over at vfdc.

it uses the stock hrap3 pcb and gamestop/madcatz 360 pcb. if ya'll didn't already know, the hrap3 pcb is common ground unlike the expensive hrapex. :D

buttons are sanwa obsf and balltop is also sanwa.

360 buttons are mapped
x, y, lb, lt
a, b, rb, rt

ps3 buttons are standard

home = guide
start = start
select = back

dualhrap3.jpg

guts
hrap3dualmodfinishedguts.jpg

switch guts
hrap3dualmodswitch.jpg

Okay, I'm pretty nubish when it comes to arcade sticks- but I would be most grateful for some expert advice.

I'm looking for an arcade stick for use with a 360. I already have 2 Namco sticks from way back in the PS1 era that still work a treat.

Would I be better off buying a new stick, or procuring an adapter to allow use of the ol' Namcos with the 360?

Which sticks are suitable? Or adapters?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
purg3 said:
I just ordered a Sanwa bat top kit and Sanwa octagon gate for my Hori EX 2 stick. Question though, I don't have the proper tools at the moment to do a button swap, are the Seimitsu PS-14-KN(the ones DaCoco used) buttons the only ones that will work with this stick?

Sanwa OBSF 30mm snap-ins fit, but you will need to file down the little metal tabs inside the case.

Let me know how you're battop+octagon gate mods go... I'm going down the exact same route you are.

toff74

Ok, here goes.

After many weeks of cursing & cussing at the 360 D-pad i did a quick search of the internet to see what i could find out about REAL arcade sticks. This lead me to the BYOAC forum and in no time i'd built myself a real arcade machine (its on there somewhere, half finished). Anyways, thought i'd turn my hand at what i'd originally set out to do in the firstplace...

Parts:

12mm mdf
3mm plexiglass
1x Siemitsu LS32 (was a sanwa JLF-8TY but got loose quickly)
8x multi-coloured Sanwa OBSN-30's (face button colours and for 2 triggers)
3x Sanwa OBSN-24's for select, start and guide.
2x 100 Ohm resistors (for triggers)
and of course a fully hacked wireless xbox 360 joypad

Here are the pictures: :D

Balls!!!! flikr dont work (or if it does, i'm just poo at this!!_

here's the link!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toff74/sets/72157606443407297/

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
akuma001: good stuff as usual!

---

I got 3 HRAP Amazon Editions sticks in the mail yesterday. Modded one of the HRAP1s with purple skeleton Seimitsus....

I wish these HRAP had the same bolts/panels as the HRAP2SA!

toff74 said:
I think i'm just rubbish.. how do you do that? I tried
and i got a nice cross in a box.

Sorry for being stoopid!!

When you view an image on flickr, click the "all sizes" tab, scroll down and you should see the direct image link.

If you're in firefox, right click on the image and select "view image" this will take you to the direct link. Copy and paste this link from your address bar into your post with img tags wrapping them.

toff74

Thank you :D

Here goes: again!!

Parts:

12mm mdf
3mm plexiglass
1x Siemitsu LS32 (was a sanwa JLF-8TY but got loose quickly)
8x multi-coloured Sanwa OBSN-30's (face button colours and for 2 triggers)
3x Sanwa OBSN-24's for select, start and guide.
2x 100 Ohm resistors (for triggers)
and of course a fully hacked wireless xbox 360 joypad

2713999881_2c0eee210c_o.jpg

2714814088_6ce0dc9493_o.jpg

2714000085_2e155afb9c_o.jpg

Its great and already planning MK 2 with a sixaxis added (switchable) and made from a more exotic wood.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just bought an SC4 stick for 360(Fighting EX 2 I believe), hope it don't suck!

Flesh Into Gear said:

I used to love this stick. So much SC1, Power Stone, MVSC, and Tech Romancer playtime.

purg3

slept with Malkin
jon bones said:
Sanwa OBSF 30mm snap-ins fit, but you will need to file down the little metal tabs inside the case.

Let me know how you're battop+octagon gate mods go... I'm going down the exact same route you are.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll post pics and impressions when I get it set up.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
purg3 said:
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll post pics and impressions when I get it set up.

these will really help you:

install the bat top + 8 way gate:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149488&referrerid=13029

this IS NOT what you want to do to get the buttons in BUT he uses 30mm sanwa's and notes "This is where you should take off the metal plate and grind down those little tabs with the Cresent File, also go around a few times with it to open up the holes for the buttons that you've chosen. I used 30mm Sanwa and you have to take just a bit more out of each hole. So grind away, fit the button, grind some more until you can fit the button in without a problem."

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=140160

I bought 2 of the Hori SC IV sticks online at Amazon for $41.99. I'm not a pro by any means and these seem to feel alright. Much preferable to the PS3 pad.

lionelhutz

For those with the EX2 Fighting Stick for 360/SCIV, any suggestions for the button mappings? I've tried a few combinations but I'm new enough to the game and arcade setup that it shouldn't be tough to learn new combos. Any suggestions would be helpful.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Starting at the left most buttons...

I would suggest one of these:

Code:
 A  B  K
G

Code:
 A  B 
G  K

The top one is the default arcade layout. The bottom is more like the typical controller layout for gamepads. Either way, those are good options.

purg3

slept with Malkin
MarkMan said:
Code:
 A  B  K
G

The top one is the default arcade layout. The bottom is more like the typical controller layout for gamepads. Either way, those are good options.

That's what I use. It feels more natural to have my and positioned that way.

Thanks for the links jon bones-bookmarked :)

Vinsanity

Here's my Xbox 360 stick:

360stickSmall.jpg

Nothing too fancy. Just the SFAC stick modded with a HAPP competition joystick. Replaced the stock buttons with black competition buttons, and added a red LED button on the side for the Live menu. Inside is a wired 360 controller PCB, and the bottom right has an extension for a headset.

My first stick ever. It's geeky, but I felt like I constructed/modded my own lightsaber. :D

CPS2

This is what I use for SC (semi-cheating =P). I never map a single button to throws though, doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

Code:
 A  B  K
G  K

lionelhutz said:
For those with the EX2 Fighting Stick for 360/SCIV, any suggestions for the button mappings? I've tried a few combinations but I'm new enough to the game and arcade setup that it shouldn't be tough to learn new combos. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I got one also. Using this:
Code:
 A  B  K
G
My hand starts feeling "crabby/clawish" after a while but looks like I'll need to adjust. Ironically I played with the 360 wireless controller later that day and I felt my actual competitive play was better (probably since I'm so use to SCII+III on the DS2 controller). But my god does my left hand's thumb feel it right now. I assume with sticks it's best to be a bit on top of them for the best leverage? And keep the buttons hand hovering above all the buttons with each finger used for a different button (like thumb for low-kick)?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Do you mean the red buttons that came stock with the HRAP3?

If so, those aren't Sanwa, but Hori clones ;(

25 shipped for 8 OBSF-30s is a good deal though ;)

MoxManiac

reggieandTFE said:
I bought 2 of the Hori SC IV sticks online at Amazon for $41.99. I'm not a pro by any means and these seem to feel alright. Much preferable to the PS3 pad.

Hey reggie, does that stick work with PS2 games?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I was about to say... Those are the POSs I yanked out of the POS stock EX2. Those tabs on the sides break very easily too.

??

I want to put light up LED buttons in my SF Anniversary stick. I only see on kind though:

trans_amber.jpg

That it? There's got to be other illuminated button options out there...

Vinsanity

I remember thinking the same thing when I was modding my SFA stick. Anyway, IIRC, I think some of the Seimetsu/Sanwa buttons should work for you; you would just have to get your own LEDs. As UC1 said above, check out the Seimetsu PS14KN. You can find it at Akihabarashop.jp. It's probably slightly too big (within mm) for the hole in the SFA stick, but with a little modding you can probably get it in there. Tell us how it goes, I'm curious as well.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
liposome said:
I remember thinking the same thing when I was modding my SFA stick. Anyway, IIRC, I think some of the Seimetsu/Sanwa buttons should work for you; you would just have to get your own LEDs. As UC1 said above, check out the Seimetsu PS14KN. You can find it at Akihabarashop.jp. It's probably slightly too big (within mm) for the hole in the SFA stick, but with a little modding you can probably get it in there. Tell us how it goes, I'm curious as well.

Yes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgF1KIIpjDU

Those are the buttons I just put in my EX2... I need a guide. I assume USB will put out enough voltage to light them up...

And I thought I was done modding my EX2.

This is great!

UC1, I don't see the tutorial link though.

kurahadol

Has there been a reproduce or new PS2 to PS3 adapter put out yet? I have my finkle stick sitting around with not much to do, it's crying to be used :/

I have an adapter now for it but there's a bit of lag with it so it annoys me a bit too much to justify using it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The two best ones are the Pelican and REAL.

The REAL one has ceased production temporarily due to cutting down on pollution in China. It should resume production after the Olympics are over.

kurahadol

Yeah I was aware of the Pelican adapter (was drawing a blank on the name which is why I didn't mention it in the previous post heh) but not of the REAL adapter. Seems like it's the way to go now, but I'm a month or so too late :/

Guess I'll keep my eye out, really don't feel like paying $70+ for a Pelican adapter though.

so i have an agetec dreamcast stick and i want to put sanwa parts in. how hard is that to do. im wondering if i should do it myself rather then send it to someone. i dont have any experience dong this sort of thing.

Karmacide

Hey guys:

I've always just used my arcade sticks out of the box and right now I'm tempted to hit up Markman's friend, Stridajin for a new Hori Real Arcade Pro.

I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro that's getting a little long in the tooth. Would it be hard to replace the stick and buttons and what stick and buttons would you recommend. Links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edit: this is the stick I have:

49389.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Hey guys I'm currently in the market for an arcade stick. I feel like I need one for SC4 and then SF4 when that comes out. The PS3 pad is good but I'm having a lot of trouble pulling off some moves. The last home arcade stick I owned was for the Genesis and I used it for MK2 haha. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good stick I can get? I dont want to spend a ton of money, around 80, would be preferred. I'm willing to go a bit higher though. Thanks for the help!

kurahadol

another question, which type of gates do you guys prefer? I have a square gate in mine but was wondering how a octagonal gate would work. I'm not all that great with sticks either, so I'm looking for whichever one would work best.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Karmacide said:
Hey guys:

I've always just used my arcade sticks out of the box and right now I'm tempted to hit up Markman's friend, Stridajin for a new Hori Real Arcade Pro.

I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro that's getting a little long in the tooth. Would it be hard to replace the stick and buttons and what stick and buttons would you recommend. Links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edit: this is the stick I have:

49389.jpg

Do you have that exact one in the picture? Mirror top? If so it is really easy to replace the stick with either Sanwa or Seimitsu. The buttons are a snap too. Everything is connected via quick disconnects so all you have to do is unplug the QD and pop out the button then put in the new button and reconnect the QD. Real easy stuff.

If you just want to go with a new arcade stick, I'd highly recommend the new Amazon HRAP or the Amazon HRAP 3 for PS3. Either way they are both good sticks. I received mine the other day and am very happy with my purchase.

Acid08 said:
Hey guys I'm currently in the market for an arcade stick. I feel like I need one for SC4 and then SF4 when that comes out. The PS3 pad is good but I'm having a lot of trouble pulling off some moves. The last home arcade stick I owned was for the Genesis and I used it for MK2 haha. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good stick I can get? I dont want to spend a ton of money, around 80, would be preferred. I'm willing to go a bit higher though. Thanks for the help!

If you're going to spend around $80, you might as well go all the way and invest in a higher end arcade stick ^_^ ... I would recommend either one of the new HRAP arcade sticks or a good PS2 stick + converter. Your call!

kurahadol said:
another question, which type of gates do you guys prefer? I have a square gate in mine but was wondering how a octagonal gate would work. I'm not all that great with sticks either, so I'm looking for whichever one would work best.

I prefer square. I don't mind octagonal but square is just something I'm accustomed to.

---

For more info on the new sticks, check out my post here:

http://sdtekken.com/2008/07/29/great-deal-new-exclusive-hori-real-arcade-pro-sticks/

For feedback/other customers Stridajin has dealt with check here:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=160592

Karmacide

MarkMan said:
Do you have that exact one in the picture? Mirror top? If so it is really easy to replace the stick with either Sanwa or Seimitsu. The buttons are a snap too. Everything is connected via quick disconnects so all you have to do is unplug the QD and pop out the button then put in the new button and reconnect the QD. Real easy stuff.

Yes, the stick in the picture is the exact one I have down to the mirror top. Thanks for taking the time to help, Markman. Could you lend me just a little more of your joystick expertise?

I'm looking over at lizardlick amusements, but I don't know which models buttons and stick I need.

I'm guessing the buttons I need are OBSF-30, could you confirm that? Also, I'm totally clueless about which model joystick to get. Do I need to get any other parts besides the stick and buttons?

Thanks again.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
What is wrong with your current joystick lever in your HRAP1 currently?

You can go for the same one JLF-TP-8Y-SK and if you want Sanwa buttons then yea go with OBSF-30.

If you want to replace the start/select buttons those are OBSF-24s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom