• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The new ones still have the input problem just not as bad as the early model. Sad really since it would take the cake as the best mass production arcade stick.

As far as my stick collection:

I have a custom Sanwa stick for Xbox1 with headset support. The yellow Namco (made by Hori) stick like in Markman's picture, and a few Hori X360 DOA sticks. My brother got himself the VSHG which is very nice apart from the input problem.

The Hori X360 DOA stick is really shitty. The biggest problem with it is the buttons they used, which not only feel cheap but are really mushy. I modded one of the sticks with Sanwa buttons yesterday, and it was kind of a bitch but well worth it in the end. Even took apart the joystick and replaced the spring with a spare sanwa one I had laying around. I prefer the sticks to be pretty lose and it worked a treat.

I guess next up is getting a dual PS3 and 360 custom stick. :p

000_0956-1.jpg

Here's mine : /

I need to get better at using an arcade stick before I mod it in anyway. I've been strictly a dpad only fighter until recently.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Flesh Into Gear said:
000_0956-1.jpg

I need to get better at using an arcade stick before I mod it in anyway. I've been strictly a dpad only fighter until recently.

That stick right there is an EXCELLENT out the box stick too... :)

alisdair

I'm currently converting my Capcom Fighting Jam Hori RAP using a wireless 360 controller, and fitting some newer Sanwa parts at the same time. It's a massive pain to do, and I wish someone would sell a wireless stick.

Most of the pad hacking is straightforward, although a few of the solder points are tricky. The worst bit is that the 360 D-pad doesn't have a common ground, so I'm having to build a circuit to map the standard Sanwa 5-pin connector to an 8-pin D-pad.

It'll be awesome when it's finished, although at this rate, probably only just in time for SF2T:HD.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
alisdair said:
I'm currently converting my Capcom Fighting Jam Hori RAP using a wireless 360 controller, and fitting some newer Sanwa parts at the same time. It's a massive pain to do, and I wish someone would sell a wireless stick.

Most of the pad hacking is straightforward, although a few of the solder points are tricky. The worst bit is that the 360 D-pad doesn't have a common ground, so I'm having to build a circuit to map the standard Sanwa 5-pin connector to an 8-pin D-pad.

It'll be awesome when it's finished, although at this rate, probably only just in time for SF2T:HD.

Keep us updated!(with pics if possible!) It'll be a nice project no doubt. Good stick too.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Jirotrom said:
Shit... awesome! The last two look like they are Finkle sticks.

Those are timoe sticks right, he doesn't wire anymore. Sad because the wiring on them was phenomenal.

Yes those are Timoe's sticks. I know him personally and he is one of the most skillful stick builders out there. He's also an incredibly awesome and cool guy IRL. Yeah, he doesn't like fucking around with the electrical side of things too much, and would prefer someone else to handle the wiring job. I'll probably hit him up for a couple 360 sticks soon. Toodles is the one you wanna contact for wiring purposes. He's currently working on a secret project of mine :D

inthegray

d9ea_1.JPG

grabbed the image online, but i've been using the ps1 namco stick for some time now. couldn't bring myself to pay for a custom stick when this one works so well.

BdoUK

Mark,

Thanks for starting a great thread! Are there any rumblings of a wireless stick coming for either the PS3 or the 360? It blows my mind that no one has made a wireless stick for either system (at least in Japan).

Jirotrom

isamu said:
Yes those are Timoe's sticks. I know him personally and he is one of the most skillful stick builders out there. He's also an incredibly awesome and cool guy IRL. Yeah, he doesn't like fucking around with the electrical side of things too much, and would prefer someone else to handle the wiring job. I'll probably hit him up for a couple 360 sticks soon. Toodles is the one you wanna contact for wiring purposes. He's currently working on a secret project of mine :D
but his wiring is so good:(

Nykad, great job, I really like it:D

I love arcade sticks, and I've put a lot of thought into buying/building one, but I'm really, really awful at fighters.

I did end up getting the Tekken 5 stick for cheap, and that's good enough for my skill level.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Thanks for the thread, dude. I'm rocking a Hori EX2 stick for Virtua Fighter 5, but when I get the money, I'm ditching it for a custom stick, one with a button configuration that will work with Ultimate MK3. I'll be referencing this thread when the time comes. :D

Grifter

What exactly went wrong in the VSHG inputs?

Is MAS still around? I'm still using a DC/PS/PC stick from them that I bought like 6 years ago and I love the weight and sloped angle.

Odrion

Banned
Okay how about...

I'm not a arcade stick nerd, I don't want to buy some custom stick or some really expensive controller for some subtle quality I won't even notice, what sort of x-box arcade stick should I buy?

I'm not going to be playing in some Street Fighter tournament or whatever, I just want a good quality stick.

sullyj

I am kinda in the same boat. I love the look of those custom sticks but do not want to pay more than $75-$100. Anything out there work with both PS3 and 360?

Momar

aka Ryder
Odrion said:
Okay how about...

I'm not a arcade stick nerd, I don't want to buy some custom stick or some really expensive controller for some subtle quality I won't even notice, what sort of x-box arcade stick should I buy?

I'm not going to be playing in some Street Fighter tournament or whatever, I just want a good quality stick.

I feel like I'm in the same position, but for a PS2 stick. There are so god damn many, and all the reasonable ones are sold out :(

Echoes

I bought DOA stick last week, and very satisfied with it. It's my 1st stick, and going to buy Hori's Wii stick ASAP.

doastick-captured.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Grifter said:
What exactly went wrong in the VSHG inputs?

Is MAS still around? I'm still using a DC/PS/PC stick from them that I bought like 6 years ago and I love the weight and sloped angle.

MAS is still around!

As for the VSHG, the problem is with some PC emulators and T5DR on PS3.

Whenever you try to do a move that requires 2 or more simultaneous button inputs it doesn't come out at a high success rate.

For example. Doing f+1+2 with Bryan in Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (forward + both punch buttons) should be easy enough that you can do it 100% on a normal joystick. On the VSHG I guarantee you won't get it out all the time :( You'll be lucky if you can do it consistently without buffering or being so anal precise.

robot

I had a MAS stick for my Neo Geo AES, but sold it with the system when I bought a candy cab. Amazing stick, never once touched the Neo stocks when I got that thing. It had American style buttons but I never knew the awesomeness of Japanese buttons so it was all good.

The HORI 360 stick is also great, I'm a little too lazy to swap out the parts but it's really not that bad. Third Strike, VF 5 (demo for now) and even Streets of Rage 2 are a blast to play with it.

Ryder said:
I feel like I'm in the same position, but for a PS2 stick. There are so god damn many, and all the reasonable ones are sold out :(
Tekken 5 and the SFAC (Multiplatorm Xbox and PS2) are decent options for this situation, and I own both. They may be somewhat scarce, but it is possible to find these heavily marked down inside Brick and Mortar EB games stores.

I actually have a couple of last gen arcade sticks I've been meaning to put on ebay, but I've been too lazy, lol.

I'll try to post some pics later. They're both those big Pelican Universal Arcade sticks (Xbox/PS2/GCN), but one is modded with a Happs joystick and Happs buttons. One also has a working voice chat port for Xbox 1 games.

Grifter

MarkMan said:
MAS is still around!

Whenever you try to do a move that requires 2 or more simultaneous button inputs it doesn't come out at a high success rate.

For example. Doing f+1+2 with Bryan in Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (forward + both punch buttons) should be easy enough that you can do it 100% on a normal joystick. On the VSHG I guarantee you won't get it out all the time :( You'll be lucky if you can do it consistently without buffering or being so anal precise.

How is it that the product was recalled and still flawed? They didn't fully fix the problem?

Given Sega's hardware experience, it's hard to believe that they'd let this flaw slip (it's not hard to believe when given their overall history). Must've cut a corner somewhere despite the premium parts.

Jirotrom

MarkMan said:
MAS is still around!

y does it have that problem, that seems like a response problem?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Jirotrom said:
y does it have that problem, that seems like a response problem?

Thats what I would like to know. Everyone I talked to has said it's the VSHG PCB...

I'm thinking about swapping mine out with a FS3 PCB lol.

Flek

Banned
i want to buy a ps3 stick and i never played with an arcade stick before...so guys can you give me some tipps which one should i get

Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 OR the virtua stick high grade? Also i would love to try a mod ..so maybe i should go with the cheaper one? I could get the Hori Fighting Stick 3 ~40 Euros..

Flek said:
i want to buy a ps3 stick and i never played with an arcade stick before...so guys can you give me some tipps which one should i get

Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 OR the virtua stick high grade? Also i would love to try a mod ..so maybe i should go with the cheaper one? I could get the Hori Fighting Stick 3 ~40 Euros..

HRAP if you play tekken more
VSHG if you play virtua fighter more

Tain

I have so many spare Happ parts lying around. I need to make something out of them that isn't held together by cardboard.

knee

Maybe I can find the link through here.

I remember seeing a site which sold pre-cut and drilled MDF for joystick housing.

I have buttons and the ability to solder, but my woodwork is terrible. Does anyone have a link to a site where I'd be able to just buy the housing? Either that, or a creative suggestion for joystick housing?! (Plastic?)

Please Help! :lol

Ronabo

Kinda OT: But what ever happened to ArcadeStickMonk?

He hasn't logged in over a year.

He's site is still up for that SF Ani mod.

Flek

Banned
MarkMan said:
which game will you be playing with it more?

well actualy i want it for every fighting game (vf5, tekken5dr and upcoming tekken 4 and streetfighter HD). Ah and thx for the link!

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Does anyone have any recommendations for sites where I can buy Sanwa parts? I've got a DOA4 stick that I'd like to mod. I searched through the original post but I couldn't find anything. I may just be overlooking it though...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Minotauro said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for sites where I can buy Sanwa parts? I've got a DOA4 stick that I'd like to mod. I searched through the original post but I couldn't find anything. I may just be overlooking it though...

If you're located in the US I would recc Lizard Lick....

http://www.lizardlick.com/

Flesh Into Gear said:
000_0956-1.jpg

Ah, the Green Goblin. Everytime I get back into Ikaruga I lament not owning one.

Jirotrom

Minotauro said:
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated.

While we're on the subject though, do you know of any tutorials online for modding one of the 360 Hori sticks?
http://forums.xbox.com/1/5956513/ShowPost.aspx#5956513

thats for the stick only I believe, the botton mod is actually kind of difficult from what I saw, It's on SRK some where. Also Lizardlick is fantastic! Very fast shipping, I totally recommend Chad, he's great to work with and a really nice guy all around.

mosaic

go eat paint
I second LizardLick.com for Sanwa parts.

First, they're one of the few sites that actually sells the screw adaptors necessary to put Sanwa bat tops onto Hori DOA4 sticks.

Second, when I ordered from them, they emailed me later to tell me they were out of those adaptors. They gave me the choice to cancel the order, change it, or to wait for restock. Four days later, they restocked and shipped the order, which I received two days later.

Smooth, painless, and my DOA4 stick is like buttah baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom