• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
It depends on the Hori stick you have.

The Hori Real Arcade Pro 1, Pro 2, and Pro 3 all have quick disconnects and it will be a snap(literally) to replace the buttons with Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons.

If you have another Hori stick that has wiring soldered onto the actual buttons it'll be a bit more difficult.

And for the record, I am glad/proud to have made this thread and am happy now knowing I'm not the only dude out there that likes/appreciates a good arcade stick. :)

Grifter

Yeah, this was a great idea. =)

I was practically raised by arcades so the idea of gamers nowadays not even knowing how to handle a stick or how it affects controls is kinda depressing. Suddenly older gamers are joystick snobs and fighter nerds.

vissione

Banned
6ug8c9g.jpg

Yeah. It's not awesome but it does its job. I like that it's not feather light, but not brick heavy either. It's just right IMO. The stick is loose and the square gate is not even that "square." The buttons react to slight taps which is both good and bad IMO. Every fighting game worth a damn will let you change the commands and/or use platform agnostic naming for each action such as "P" "K" "G" etc so it's ok that the layout is retarded (although it still bugs me). I'd love to change the art and the buttons (for aesthetics), but beyond that I think it's fine for me. It's mainly for Tekken 5DR, but I foresee using it with SF2THDR, Soul Calibur IV, Tekken 6, and if it lives long enough, SF4. :D

I own two sticks, The Hori Tekken 5 Stick and a Fighting Stick 3.
Boy do I love my tekken stick though, been through a shit load of Tekken 5 (still gets put through a ton of Tekken:D )

robot

How much do those custom sticks usually go for? Or to have someone mod a hori 360 stick?

Edit: Nevermind, links are on the 1st post.

Odrion

Banned
Well, went on a huge search for a possible X-Box arcade stick and I found this: A migraine.

Well, this too but I don't trust anything that's wireless and only twenty bucks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm pretty sure that the way to go is console controller converters. From what I've been told, lag isn't an issue? (which is surprising) I say invest in a great playstation stick, and with the proper adapters you can get it working on PS3, Cube/Wii, Xbox 1, etc.

360 is still the tricky one. Should I ever expect a PS->360 adapter, or does Microsoft's proprietary tech prevent this from being likely?

dock

I either use this:
419335712_99d709e76a.jpg

or this:
cab2006_photo4.jpg

(I'm using entirely sanwa parts in my arcade machine, and an octagonal restriction plate)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
^^ Nice!

Nice cab! I have an old Sega Astro City I use for playin' CPS games...

It's really nice having a candy cab... On the other hand, I also have a woody... Tekken Tag Tournament with Happ competition sticks/buttons.

dock

MarkMan said:
^^ Nice!

Nice cab! I have an old Sega Astro City I use for playin' CPS games...

It's really nice having a candy cab... On the other hand, I also have a woody... Tekken Tag Tournament with Happ competition sticks/buttons.
Yeah I'm definitely happy to have my Candy cab in the house, it serves me pretty well. I'm probably sacrilegious because I have it hooked up to consoles (xbox for mame and SF3, ps2 for other stuff, previously it was hooked up to Dreamcast) but I like having a range of titles to choose from.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I just saw 001's mod of his VSHG that has a switch to make his VSHG compatible with BOTH PS3 and XBOX 360.... :drool:

360moddedvshg.jpg

Jirotrom

MarkMan said:
I just saw 001's mod of his VSHG that has a switch to make his VSHG compatible with BOTH PS3 and XBOX 360.... :drool:

360moddedvshg.jpg
he's the one that just modded my stick. All around great guy.

Jirotrom

Teknopathetic said:
"he's the one that just modded my stick. All around great guy."

How much did it run you (Besides the stick, of course)?
He charges $50.00 for the work. add $10.00 if you want laminated art. You have to cover shipping and parts as you stated.

"He charges $50.00 for the work. add $10.00 if you want laminated art. You have to cover shipping and parts as you stated."

Shit, that's not bad at all. I've got a spare 360 pad. I'll definitely have to hit him up about that once I buy a 360/VF5.

Jirotrom

Teknopathetic said:
"He charges $50.00 for the work. add $10.00 if you want laminated art. You have to cover shipping and parts as you stated."

Shit, that's not bad at all. I've got a spare 360 pad. I'll definitely have to hit him up about that once I buy a 360/VF5.
im not sure how much he charges to actually build a stick? Im sure he could do it though.

"im not sure how much he charges to actually build a stick? Im sure he could do it though."

Oh no, I'll be inquiring him about modding a VSHG.

God, I've been waiting for this thread for like FOREVER....my needs are simple. I can tell that most of these sticks are geared towards fighters...which is cool...but I'm really looking for something that is more geared towards old-school arcade games...specifically the kind on XBLA -- stiff with good directional detection, especially in the Up-Down & Left-Right, and not as sensitive to the 45 degree axes...

I bought the Hori DOA4 stick, but was sadly disappointed (for how I wish to use it)...its a fine stick, but its really built for fighters (and I paid a decent price as it was the time many months before VF5 was announced and they were VERY scarce).

There are no commercial ones that I can find, so a custom seems the best way. Can any of you stick aficionados recommend the appropriate parts (and or complete stick) for non-fighter control that can be modded to work with a 360?

tia

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The more I play with my EX2 stick on VF5, the more I like it. I'll probably keep it, but mod it with Sanwa parts and a custom image on the thing if I get the money.

v0yce

Awsome thread. I love looking at these sticks.

Question. Is there an easy way to add a bat top to the DOA 4 stick? And by easy, I really mean, can I order a bat top and just unscrew the ball and screw on a bat?

BocoDragon said:
I'm pretty sure that the way to go is console controller converters. From what I've been told, lag isn't an issue? (which is surprising) I say invest in a great playstation stick, and with the proper adapters you can get it working on PS3, Cube/Wii, Xbox 1, etc.

360 is still the tricky one. Should I ever expect a PS->360 adapter, or does Microsoft's proprietary tech prevent this from being likely?

I always thought the way these guys did it would be ideal. Make the stick with just standard PC style ports and then make little specific boxes for each console you want to use. Nice and clean, and should my adapatable to any new consoles that would come out.

Any advice for absolute jealous noob? What's the learning curve for someone with zero soddering experience and circuit board knowledge? I think with a little trial and error I could get the box made well, but the guts of the thing always scare me off from trying.

Jirotrom

v0yce said:
Awsome thread. I love looking at these sticks.

Question. Is there an easy way to add a bat top to the DOA 4 stick? And by easy, I really mean, can I order a bat top and just unscrew the ball and screw on a bat?

I always thought the way these guys did it would be ideal. Make the stick with just standard PC style ports and then make little specific boxes for each console you want to use. Nice and clean, and should my adapatable to any new consoles that would come out.

Any advice for absolute jealous noob? What's the learning curve for someone with zero soddering experience and circuit board knowledge? I think with a little trial and error I could get the box made well, but the guts of the thing always scare me off from trying.

http://forums.xbox.com/1/5956513/ShowPost.aspx#5956513

hope this helps:D

Momar

aka Ryder
What's a good site to buy one of these Hori Sticks from? Preferably a North American site? Play-Asia seems to be out of stock of all the sticks most of you guys mentioned, and I can't exactly navigate horistore.com. Help for an arcade stick noob? :)

CPS2

Great Poster said:
God, I've been waiting for this thread for like FOREVER....my needs are simple. I can tell that most of these sticks are geared towards fighters...which is cool...but I'm really looking for something that is more geared towards old-school arcade games...specifically the kind on XBLA -- stiff with good directional detection, especially in the Up-Down & Left-Right, and not as sensitive to the 45 degree axes...

I bought the Hori DOA4 stick, but was sadly disappointed (for how I wish to use it)...its a fine stick, but its really built for fighters (and I paid a decent price as it was the time many months before VF5 was announced and they were VERY scarce).

There are no commercial ones that I can find, so a custom seems the best way. Can any of you stick aficionados recommend the appropriate parts (and or complete stick) for non-fighter control that can be modded to work with a 360?

tia

Looks like you'd be after an octagonal gate. The restrictor in the DOA4 stick is a square, so it makes hitting corners easier, which is preferable for fighters (depending on who you ask, but it's the standard in Japan, HK, etc, not so much in USA). If you get a Sanwa stick, you can easily clip on an octagonal gate which will make it easier to hit up/down/left/right. Also helps with 360s/720s...

Ryder said:
What's a good site to buy one of these Hori Sticks from? Preferably a North American site? Play-Asia seems to be out of stock of all the sticks most of you guys mentioned, and I can't exactly navigate horistore.com. Help for an arcade stick noob? :)

afaik, the only place you can get HRAP2 is horistore.com or ebay. horistore is WAY cheaper, but you might need to get someone from Japan to help you out.
They only just got back in stock, after being out of production for a long time. So I don't think they're selling anywhere besides their own site.

It shouldn't be a problem to get an HRAP3 or VSHG from somewhere else tho...

UC1 said:
Looks like you'd be after an octagonal gate. The restrictor in the DOA4 stick is a square, so it makes hitting corners easier, which is preferable for fighters (depending on who you ask, but it's the standard in Japan, HK, etc, not so much in USA). If you get a Sanwa stick, you can easily clip on an octagonal gate which will make it easier to hit up/down/left/right. Also helps with 360s/720s....

thanks UC...so, if I'm putting all of this together correctly (in my mind that is), I should be able to get JUST the stick component and replace that in the Hori housing (and of course do the wires & whatnot)?

Is there a stick with the stiffness (centering) that anyone can recommend -- again, I'm looking for the (what I assume) is the antithesis of figthers...

CPS2

EDIT: I knew I read this somewhere before, turns out the info was in Jirotrom's link...

Yeah, you can actually use the Sanwa octagonal gate on the stock Hori joystick.

All you need to do is order the part (http://www.akihabarashop.com/ is a good shop, they're just doing site maintenance at the moment).

Easiest thing in the world to do, unclip the square gate, and replace it with the octagonal one.

Shawn128

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. VSHG 360 mod. There has got to be instructions on how to do this myself. Can anyone get me a link?

Jirotrom

UC1 said:
EDIT: I knew I read this somewhere before, turns out the info was in Jirotrom's link...

Yeah, you can actually use the Sanwa octagonal gate on the stock Hori joystick.

All you need to do is order the part (http://www.akihabarashop.com/ is a good shop, they're just doing site maintenance at the moment).

Easiest thing in the world to do, unclip the square gate, and replace it with the octagonal one.
just have him order from Lizardlick, Chad has excellent service, very fast.

shuri

Banned
Arg, that sucks. I bought one of those DOA4 style stick for the 360, it's not the DOA-themed one, but it feels super cheap. I have my old custom made xbox/ps2 sticks (that i'll post pics of a bit later) that still kicks asses.

It's a shame all those sticks look the same now on SRK.

mosaic

go eat paint
v0yce said:
Question. Is there an easy way to add a bat top to the DOA 4 stick?
Yes, order Sanwa part LB-30-N and the corresponding screw adapter (LizardLick.com has both). You'll probably have to remove the base of the stick so that you can hold the shaft in place--no pun intended--while you unscrew the ball top and replace it with the bat top+adaptor.

Flek

Banned
haha i bought a stick but i made a mistake and ordered the wrong one .. what i wanted: hori real arcade pro 3 what i bought hori fighting stick 3 (for ~25 Euro..)

i will recieve it tomorrow the only thing realy stupid .. i also ordered 8 new push ins and a new top...so the question is keep it or send it back ?

cheers

Flek

Banned
_dementia said:
you must have thought you were getting quite a deal :lol
+
hell yeha :lol

iam asking myself are the Sanwa OBSF-30 and the new balltop still going to fit? if not iam going to send the shit back 100% :lol :lol

edit: ok i found it - they will ...well then i guess iam going to give it a try :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This might be the best place to ask this..... when the smoke cleared, what turned out to be the best PS2->USB adaptor for use with PS3? (ie no lag)

I'm also interested in using it with both PC and Mac... (dance pad compatible too please) :D

bob_arctor said:
Is it possible/relatively easy to replace the buttons on the Hori DOA4 360 stick with Sanwa ones?
It's possible, but apparently a pain in the ass, involving filing and dremeling the case to make room for the larger Sanwa buttons. One of the links in the OP describes the process.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
BocoDragon said:
Wow nice... I've been really picky about getting the best converter and this has way more features than I would ever expect. Thanks.

Oh yea! The thing doesn't work well with Guitar Hero II, you can play it, the buttons are off, and also you can't HO or PO.... But then again I only use it for fighters and don't care about GH much ^_^

My SF Anniversary Collection stick is borked. PS2 connection is dead. I have to dig my XB out of the closet to see if it still works there. I'm considering taking it apart and tinkering with it. Hope it doesn't explode in my face. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom