• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee N

Membre
MarkMan said:
Ah I see what you're doing... The thing is, if you press and hold the buttons down, there is no problem. But hitting them and inputting them on the exact same frame when it is required does not come out 100% of the time (For Emulators and T5DR anyway)... for example. I need to hit square/triangle/x at the same time. It definately works. But if I try to press all three at once on the exact same frame, it (the move I'm trying to do) won't come out. But if I try to get it to register/recognize in the controller setup menu, there is no problem.
I tried both ways obviously.. and even odd combinations like holding down a few buttons and then push 4 others at the same time, and there are no problems with the stick.

If anything, there's a difference in how the VSHG sends the signal to the system compared to the HRAP3 - and then there's an issue with the software reading this signal. Again, if it was a hardware issue you'd notice it everywhere.

Zissou

I bought the VSHG a while ago for pretty much solely VF5 playing purposes, but the problems with Tekken 5: DR have made me consider buying another PS3 stick (most likely the HRAP 3). I had a general question about button/layout hand position for different fighting games. Prior to VF5, I usually just played with a controller, but I really don't want to back to that after become acclimated to the stick, but what is the ideal button layout and hand position on a stick for Tekken/KoF purposes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas where you can get hold of a PS2 compatible pcb? My plan was to hunt down a DS A-series for the dummies friendly, no-soldering solution but those controllers are long gone in my area.

Kuran

Banned
A few questions about the Virtua Stick High Grade..

How long is the cable? If I use a USB extension cable, will that cause any delay?

Will it all its inputs get recognized in Windows, without having to install drivers?

Fatalah said:
4758.gif
I've seen this on clearance for under $10. Is it good for any games, fighting or otherwise?

two arcade sticks I'm getting rid of (don't have a PS2/Xbox/GCN anymore). Top one is modded with Happs competition joystick and buttons, bottom is unmodded:

d015_1.JPG

I'm selling these on ebay...will look for the buy/sell thread and post an auction link there.

ant1532

Banned
Linkzg said:
well, it does work for PC without any hassle.
Thing is I already have VF for PS3 and I wanted it for 360 too to play online and I was going to get it plus the High Grade stick if it worked for both copies but yeah it doesn't. I still am considering it though.

Does it work backwards compatible with PS2 games on PS3?

ant1532 said:
Thing is I already have VF for PS3 and I wanted it for 360 too to play online and I was going to get it plus the High Grade stick if it worked for both copies but yeah it doesn't. I still am considering it though.

Does it work backwards compatible with PS2 games on PS3?

im pretty sure it works with PS2 games, atleast when I tried it back when I first got it with GGX2 it worked.

but get another confirmation because I remember there were some problems around it a while back.

ant1532

Banned
Oh boy, but yeah if anyone else confirms if it works with PS2 games(I really just care about Street Fighter Anniversary Collection to play 3rd strike with it) please hit this up with a reply. I need to know!

Jirotrom

akuma001 posts here now and I know he is able to mod the high grade. I plan on getting a high grade modded next year some time.

CPS2

Took some photos of my arcade sticks n stuff...

Just retired these to the garbage bin, as they're worn out-

HFSEX.jpg

HFSEXSP.jpg

And here's my current stuff-

setup4.jpg

setup3.jpg

setup2.jpg

setup1.jpg

CPS2

Virtua Stick high grade, Hori Real Arcade Pro 3, or Hori Fighting Stick 3 would be your best bet. Have a look through the thread, there's more detailed info.

I'd recommend either VSHG or HRAP3.

kurahadol

Thing about the high grade though is that it won't work with PS2 games, which is a pretty big thing for me. Can't keep playing KoF02/03 and XI on gamepad, it's a travesty. Are the Hori sticks you mentioned compatible with PS2 games?

Kuran

Banned
I love my Virtua Stick!

However... trying Mortal Kombat 2 (PSN) with it, I noticed that I was unable to perform any special moves.. is this because the stick is too 'loose'? What is the technical reason?

I don't really mind, as Samurai Shodown and Fist of the North Star play great with it.. !

The only bad thing is... I will have to buy a second one. And shipping to EU isn't that cheap for it.

If I don't my girlfriend will be left out!

Pengew

does anyone know if it is possible to swap the circular stick top with the other tear drop shape stick top on the VF5 arcade stick.

mosaic

go eat paint
galactus_eat_world said:
does anyone know if it is possible to swap the circular stick top with the other tear drop shape stick top on the VF5 arcade stick.
Assuming by "tear drop" you mean bat top, Yes. It has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. You need Sanwa part #LB-30-N and the joystick adapter screw.

www.lizardlick.com has both for just under $6 before shipping.

Askia47

What do you guys recommend for games like Street Fighter 3rd strike and KOF XI. I'd like something simple for ps2, as i dont know if modding will help me any since I'm a newbie at arcade sticks.

After looking at some of the photos in this thread I never realised how SMALL the 360 stick is, is it still fairly useable without your arms hurting while resting on the edges?

Crowza

Here are some photos of my custom Xbox 360 stick (made to somewhat resemble the VF High Grade PS3 stick) created from the guys at Arcade-in-a-Box. It's sitting next to the Hori 360 stick.

custom-vf5-stick1.jpg

custom-vf5-stick2.jpg

custom-vf5-stick3.jpg

Please don't sue me, Sega. :D

Darkman M

Crowza said:
Here are some photos of my custom Xbox 360 stick (made to somewhat resemble the VF High Grade PS3 stick) created from the guys at Arcade-in-a-Box. It's sitting next to the Hori 360 stick.

custom-vf5-stick1.jpg

custom-vf5-stick2.jpg

custom-vf5-stick3.jpg

Nice stick looks super high quality.

Crowza said:

how much did you pay for your A-I-a-B VFHG custom?

Crowza

Great Poster said:
how much did you pay for your A-I-a-B VFHG custom?

I think it was right around $200. You can go to arcadeinabox.com and build one using the options you'd like. Personally, I used the Japanese button layout, Sanwa stick, Sanwa convex buttons (with the exception of the Guide, Start and Back buttons), custom artwork. Came to right around $200 (can't remember exactly).

The artwork finish is fantastic! Just like an arcade machine. The buttons and stick (both being Sanwa parts) are top notch. Worth every penny and then some!

If anyone would like to use my layout (ripping off the Sega VFHG stick) for their own design, just let me know which two characters you'd like on it and I'll post an Adobe PSD file to download.

Mr Jared

Crowza said:
I think it was right around $200. You can go to arcadeinabox.com and build one using the options you'd like. Personally, I used the Japanese button layout, Sanwa stick, Sanwa convex buttons (with the exception of the Guide, Start and Back buttons), custom artwork. Came to right around $200 (can't remember exactly).

The artwork finish is fantastic! Just like an arcade machine. The buttons and stick (both being Sanwa parts) are top notch. Worth every penny and then some!

If anyone would like to use my layout (ripping off the Sega VFHG stick) for their own design, just let me know which two characters you'd like on it and I'll post an Adobe PSD file to download.

Thanks for the AIAB impressions. I was really wanting to order from them out of laziness yet I didn't know anyone who got one. Sounds like solid stuff.

One question: When you were ordering did they give you a choice for button colors? If so, what were those choices? Did they let you write in for other colors? I'll need this info for my design :)

kurahadol

so I'm getting a custom stick built from finkle (will follow up with pics when it's completed) with a PS1/2 PCB and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a Pelican PS2 to PS3 adapter. They seem to be almost impossible to find around here and I can't seem to locate anywhere that will ship them to Canada.

If I can't find a Pelican, can anyone suggest another brand that would work just as well? I've seen some others around like an ASID one.

Crowza

alkaline black said:
Thanks for the AIAB impressions. I was really wanting to order from them out of laziness yet I didn't know anyone who got one. Sounds like solid stuff.

One question: When you were ordering did they give you a choice for button colors? If so, what were those choices? Did they let you write in for other colors? I'll need this info for my design :)

Ed gives you a choice of button colors and a choice of joystick color. The various color choices depend on the brand of stick you use and what colors they are available in. I don't think you'll run into any problems finding exactly what you need.

Ed will definitely work with you. He is very responsive to emails and he will make you exactly what you want. That's why he got my business. I think there were several days where we exchanged at least five emails in one day! That was even before I ordered anything!

I've just buy the VFSHG to play SF Alpha 3 on my PS3 but some moves are suprizingly harder to do than with the PS3 controller.
The settings are on turbo 2 because that's how i used to play the game.
I don't really understand because i'll always had quite good skils when i was playing arcades.
Maybe it's because the stick range is very wide (i mean that when you're doing quater circles the "distance" that you must do with the stick is bigger).
Sorry for my shitty explanation but i don't know how to describe what bother me :/
Maybe i'll need to play more so i can be used to it.

Grifter

Any good guide for ripping up a 360 pad and soldering to stick? I need a new one and want to do it right this time.

Chorazin

After reading this thread I was driven to order a Sanwa octagonal gate for my DoA4 stick, seems like an easy enough beginner mod that should improve performance.

Grifter

j^aws said:

Memories flooding in. Totally forgot I had this. I bought the US version for VF2 and SNK and Capcom games. Wonder if I have it boxed away somewhere.

By "metal top," do you mean for the stick, or the top cover? Were the rest of the parts the same?

UltiGamer

Ok, so reading through this thread, I thought I had settled on the VSHG for PS3. But then I read Mark's post about the three punch/kick input problem on SF games. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

The games I will be playing most are 2d fighters (once some more get released, i.e. SSF2THDR, and SF4 plus any other Jpn. only games that get released) and VF5, I play Tekken 5 but not as much as the others.

Also, does the VSHG work well with shooters? I will be playing Soldner X when that is released for the PSN as well and would like to know how it works? Thanks!

One last question, now that it has been around for a while, how is the Hori Wii stick? I want to get it for the VC games and Castle Shikigami as well as Guilty Gear Accent Core.

Thanks!

kurahadol

The bad thing about the High Grade stick is that it doesn't take multi-button pressing well. 2 buttons is fine but anything 3 and over causes problems with the stick. So fighters like Alpha wouldn't bode well with this stick.

j^aws

Grifter said:
Memories flooding in. Totally forgot I had this. I bought the US version for VF2 and SNK and Capcom games. Wonder if I have it boxed away somewhere.

By "metal top," do you mean for the stick, or the top cover? Were the rest of the parts the same?

Yeah, it's the top cover that's metal and also the base, which gives it some weight. When I was in the market looking for one, there were two distinct price ranges for the Japanese and American versions, and was told that was the main difference; even though they both 'look' similar. I'm not sure if the parts are the same though... Hori changing parts for different markets wouldn't surprise me...

CPS2

Chû Totoro said:
I've just buy the VFSHG to play SF Alpha 3 on my PS3 but some moves are suprizingly harder to do than with the PS3 controller.
The settings are on turbo 2 because that's how i used to play the game.
I don't really understand because i'll always had quite good skils when i was playing arcades.
Maybe it's because the stick range is very wide (i mean that when you're doing quater circles the "distance" that you must do with the stick is bigger).
Sorry for my shitty explanation but i don't know how to describe what bother me :/
Maybe i'll need to play more so i can be used to it.

Try going into the options menu, and bring up the GUI that shows your inputs on screen. Make sure you're activating the moves correctly. Could just be a matter of getting used to it.

What kind of moves aren't working properly?

UltiGamer

Hmm, so for someone playing a lot more 2d fighters would the HRAP3 be the stick of choice? This will be my first stick purchase. Also, does the HRAP3 work well with VF5? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom