• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ryder said:
Blah

So I kept putting off buying my own Pelican PS2 -> USB adaptor (PL 6338)...

...aaaaaaand now it's discontinued. I can't seem to find it anywhere. All the Gamestop's I went to ran out and were no longer receiving shipments (obviously), amazon doesn't have any, nor does any other vendor I can find through google.

I saw an adaptor being sold at Radioshack, but it's also discontinued. I only saw one left at the store, but I was afraid to buy it because I won't be able to test it for lag and such until I get back to school (in another state), so I won't be able to return it.

Anyone used the Radioshack one can give impressions? Or maybe someone who knows where I can find a Pelican? My assumption is that Pelican will eventually release a new one that sorts out all the guitar hero issues it was having (read the amazon reviews for an idea, people are MAD :lol ).
Shit.. I wanted that Pelican adapter :(

If it's the same radioshack one they've had for years, then it has a tiny bit of lag. I have one and next time I buy I wouldn't settle for anything less than perfect.

Momar

aka Ryder
BocoDragon said:
Shit.. I wanted that Pelican adapter :(

If it's the same radioshack one they've had for years, then it has a tiny bit of lag. I have one and next time I buy I wouldn't settle for anything less than perfect.

Well this sucks...

Anyone selling a Pelican adapter?

I'll try post some pics of my current stick later (HRAP1 + Sanwa buttons, nothing outrageously custom), but i thought it'd be fun to hunt out this arcade stick i once had as a kid - took a while to find, apparantly the site i found it on isn't even sure it was released! It was, and it was a complete turd and went back to the shop within a week. Unfortunately i was scarred by this stick and it took several years for me to try again, first with an x-fighting stick on XBOX (not bad, like a Saturn Virtua Stick), and then onto my current stick, which finally lives up to my childhood dreams!

Super JoJo!
superjo-jo.jpg

Anyone else have any ancient arcade sticks they'd like to show? From memory, real arcade parts were introduced in PS/Saturn era, most everything was dodgy before then.

Yeah i wanted that one, the Super Advantage or Score Master, but by the time i had saved the money the JoJo was the only one left on shelves! Now i know why :p

super_advantage.jpg

joy022.jpg

CPS2

Gotta add one of the old MD arcade sticks...

joy055.jpg

Out of all these oldies, I've only used the 3 button megadrive stick and the super advantage =P Took until the Dreamcast before I was satisfied with a console stick (never owned a PS1 or Namco).

UC1 said:

joy055.jpg

Out of all these oldies, I've only used the 3 button megadrive stick and the super advantage =P Took until the Dreamcast before I was satisfied with a console stick (never owned a PS1 or Namco).

The 3 button version of this could be modded with the smaller arcade "start" buttons. I've seen it done; great for Megadrive shmups.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I picked this up recently :)
It's my first time using Seimitsu parts and they just fucking rock, no way could I use Sanwa for shooters again.

7x9zl8y.jpg

for those who can't find a Pelican adapter ps2/ps3,(including myself) what other options are out there?

ps i have HRAP 2 for my ps2 and i want to use it on my ps3.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
It's tough, there is probably only one other converter that I would recc, but even that one is hard to find :(

I haven't checked any of the recent converters though as most of my research was based on my findings/stuff last year... ;/

Jirotrom

Bonerville High said:
What's better for PC/PS3/PS2 games on PS3: the Hori Real Arcade Pro or the Virtua Stick High Grade?
MarkMan can tell you but what it comes down to are the types of games you like to play using a stick.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Well since sega is dropping VF5 price to 30euros, i am actually going to buy it finally.

Now time to start looking for a good stick :/

Jirotrom said:
MarkMan can tell you but what it comes down to are the types of games you like to play using a stick.

VF5 and soon to be Soul Calibur 4 on PS3, Third Strike on PS2 (through PS3 backwards compat), shooters on MAME. Does the HRAP3 work on PC as well as the VSHG does?

Jirotrom

Bonerville High said:
VF5 and soon to be Soul Calibur 4 on PS3, Third Strike on PS2 (through PS3 backwards compat), shooters on MAME. Does the HRAP3 work on PC as well as the VSHG does?
Im not sure but if you want a stick for VF5, from what I here the High grade is excellent.

Chittagong said:
How come there isn't a single wireless stick? Would buy one in an eyeblink
In the case of Xbox 360, it would probably have to be made by Microsoft due to the bizzare wireless licensing crap.

Also, lag.

CPS2

VSHG vs HRAP3 = GO WITH HRAP3!!!!

I bought 2 VSHGs and love them, but there is a problem with hitting 3 buttons at once. If you're trying to CC in SFA2, or roman cancel in GG, or change stance in VF5, anything else that uses 3 buttons, it's pretty tricky.

The buttons in HRAP3 aren't as good, but they can easily be swapped out.

CPS2

I have a feeling that Sanwa might be a little too light for shmups. They're great if you're hitting 6 different buttons in quick succession, but if you're hitting the same button over and over again, something with a bit more click and response might be better. Comes down to preference in the end...

Rlan

UC1 said:

joy055.jpg

This and the 3 button version were also worked really well for games like Sonic 3D Blast. The game would cramp up your hands hard otherwise :)

Geezer

FoxSpirit said:
Seimitsu sticks have a shorter throw, so it takes less movement to make contact with the switches and feels more accurate. It's easier to make very small adjustments in shmups :)
For fighters I don't really mind either way, both manufacturers make great parts.

aktham said:
What is that? and where didn't you get it? and how much?:D
It's a Sigma Raijin supergun. I got it for about £230 including shipping via Yahoo Japan (it's heavy).

Here's a couple of sites that sell them in Japan (but don't ship outside Japan):
http://www.mak-jp.com/ctrbox.html
http://www.setup-japan.com/sub/contorolbox.htm

I've actually just bought a Sigma AV7000+9000TB as the Raijin is too cumbersome to use in my bedroom so I'm letting it go:
http://shmups.system11.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17992&highlight=raijin
(Shipping to UK only)

Geezer

UC1 said:
I have a feeling that Sanwa might be a little too light for shmups. They're great if you're hitting 6 different buttons in quick succession, but if you're hitting the same button over and over again, something with a bit more click and response might be better. Comes down to preference in the end...
I don't actually mind either way for the buttons, it's the stick itself that feels much nicer :)

Daigoro

i recent bought my first HRAP2. i modded it with Sanwa buttons and just swapped in a Seimitsu LS3201 stick this weekend. its fantastic.

i also modded my 2nd Agetec, left as a standard DC controller, with all Sanwa parts. its sweet. had some nice Under Defeat runs this weekend. bliss.

wish i had a camera to show off my collection.

Geezer said:
I don't actually mind either way for the buttons, it's the stick itself that feels much nicer :)

heh. glad you posted that. i was going to question wether you meant just the stick or not. Sanwa buttons are great for shmups.

What's this I hear about the HRAP3 not fully working for backwards compatible PS2 games? Apparently it does random inputs, how often?

I'm still really torn between the VSHG and HRAP3. I need something for Virtua Fighter 5/Soul Calibur 4 on PS3, which they both will do fine at. I need something for PC emulation, which I know the VSHG can do and I'm pretty sure the HRAP3 can do. I need something for PS2 games on PS3, which apparently the VSHG can do perfectly and the HRAP3 can do imperfectly?

So it sounds like the VSHG works for everything I need but suffers from input problems, while the HRAP3 won't work on everything I need but has no input problems. How to decide...

LowParry

Bonerville High said:
What's this I hear about the HRAP3 not fully working for backwards compatible PS2 games? Apparently it does random inputs, how often?

I'm still really torn between the VSHG and HRAP3. I need something for Virtua Fighter 5/Soul Calibur 4 on PS3, which they both will do fine at. I need something for PC emulation, which I know the VSHG can do and I'm pretty sure the HRAP3 can do. I need something for PS2 games on PS3, which apparently the VSHG can do perfectly and the HRAP3 can do imperfectly?

So it sounds like the VSHG works for everything I need but suffers from input problems, while the HRAP3 won't work on everything I need but has no input problems. How to decide...

I have a HRAP3 and it works with all my PS2 fighting games. Well, the one's I have at least. Street Fighter Alpha Trilogy, Guilty Gear: AC, King of Fighters XI. They work perfectly well for me. Plus switching out the buttons for sanwa type is the ideal thing to do for a HRAP3. No regrets. Very awesome stick.

v0yce

UC1 said:
Saw this one at another forum...

quickjoy_sn_programmable_sv-336.jpg

Not sure how good the programming aspect is...

LOL, I have that stick.

I used to program MK fatalities with it. But it only worked some of the time.

my darn dog chewed the USB cable on my Hori EX2 for the 360.

Anybody got info on how to replace or repair the USB cable for this stick?

UC1 said:
One of each! :D

I actually considered this, but then I'd never get used to one :p

CcrooK said:
I have a HRAP3 and it works with all my PS2 fighting games. Well, the one's I have at least. Street Fighter Alpha Trilogy, Guilty Gear: AC, King of Fighters XI. They work perfectly well for me. Plus switching out the buttons for sanwa type is the ideal thing to do for a HRAP3. No regrets. Very awesome stick.

Hell yeah, I went with the HRAP3 from this recommendation, even if it didn't work with any PS2 games at all, I only really play two - one of which (Super Turbo) is coming out on PS3 in HD anyway, and the other (Third Strike) which is playable through emulation.

Thanks for the input, it made my decision a lot easier.

LowParry

tribal24 said:
i got a question the doa 4 stick any rare?

I believe so. I don't ever really see them except for Ebay. You'r probably better off just aiming for one of those EX2 sticks. That's what I'll be investing in next. Although I wonder if buttons need to be replaced on that one as well.

tribal24

Banned
CcrooK said:
I believe so. I don't ever really see them except for Ebay. You'r probably better off just aiming for one of those EX2 sticks. That's what I'll be investing in next. Although I wonder if buttons need to be replaced on that one as well.

how much are they on ebay? cause i found one brand new at a local shop lol i wanna resell it

HELP! I need a stick for my X360. I want to start playing Hyper Fighting again, and want to have one for sure by the time SSF2HD Remix hits.

Few questions:

1) I've been considering just doing it myself, but... What are the most reliable shops to buy parts from on the web?

2) I remember ArcadeStickMonk posting a guide on here for custom sticks (X360 guide I thought), but my searches turned up nothing.

3) I'm also willing to buy a custom stick. I've seen a lot of nice custom sticks from a guy named Finkle, but I can't freaking find his web site if he even has one? His sticks look like quality and are supposed to be a bit cheaper than Byrdo's.

If I do go the build it myself route, and it turns out well, I want to build a UMK3 stick also.

Thanks for the help!

Momar

aka Ryder
I'm planning on selling my PS2 Tekken Arcade stick soon, so keep your eyes peeled in the buy/sell/trade thread for a picture and more information. It's in perfect condition and has received very little use (hence my decision to sell). PMs welcome. If you need any reviews of it there are plenty of informative links in this thread.

p.s. I'm also planning on selling my 19" monitor for any interested parties :O

akuma001

Crippled By Pizza said:
HELP! I need a stick for my X360. I want to start playing Hyper Fighting again, and want to have one for sure by the time SSF2HD Remix hits.

Few questions:

1) I've been considering just doing it myself, but... What are the most reliable shops to buy parts from on the web?

2) I remember ArcadeStickMonk posting a guide on here for custom sticks (X360 guide I thought), but my searches turned up nothing.

3) I'm also willing to buy a custom stick. I've seen a lot of nice custom sticks from a guy named Finkle, but I can't freaking find his web site if he even has one? His sticks look like quality and are supposed to be a bit cheaper than Byrdo's.

If I do go the build it myself route, and it turns out well, I want to build a UMK3 stick also.

Thanks for the help!

1. www.lizardlick.com

2. arcadestickmonk had a guide to mod the streetfighter anniversary joystick to fit happ parts and i think a guide to mod the namco stick to fit sanwa parts. sorry but i don't know the site anymore.

3. check out the trading outlet on www.shoryuken.com, you will have to register to see it. there are many custom builders there including byrdo and finkle as well as other noteworthy builders like timoe and jaxel. there is a big wait list to get a stick done by any of these builders though.

the only commercially made sticks for 360 are the hori ex2 and doa4 stick. if you want an american parts one, mas also makes 360 sticks now.

Xtyle

I got the sticks (VSHG) modded and received them...one stops responding during play (360 vf5)...any idea what is causing this? This happens within the first few mins of play...and seems to be random.

CPS2

^Is it the whole stick? If so, it's probably a faulty pcb or cable. If it's just a button, then it could be a matter of just opening it up and checking to see if the disconnects are attached properly.

On an unrelated note, saw this mod over at SRK. The buttons light up when activated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgF1KIIpjDU

Xtyle

the whole stick.
when it drops out, the character either is stand still, or is stick at moving left, or right...but non of the button works until I reset 360...360 also never reports controller lost connection

CPS2

Yeah it's probably a faulty PCB, could be that a solder point isn't forming a good connection.

Probably best to contact the guys who did the mod and ask if they have any kind of warranty.

Xtyle

yea that's what I am doing.
those are very solid joysticks. I love them. I feel like I have much better control over my characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom