• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BdoUK

So if one wanted the same pattern on the stick above, how would you request it during the ordering process?

I'm a huge Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter whore so that stick is all kinds of awesome in my book!

CPS2

They have a template, generally you just tick a box that says you want custom artwork, then send them a file with the artwork attached. I'm not sure where the VF would have come from, but there's a copy of the SF picture *here*

Johnkers

Looking back, does the Virtua Stick High Grade still have problems with Tekken DR? I need a stick that's primarily going to be used for that but anywhere I find that will ship to Australia at a reasonable price has the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 out of stock :(

Need it pretty soon so if anybody has any other recommendations for that or a site that has the Hori in stock (was going to go Renchi and NCSX seems too expensive)

Edit: Actually I can get two Hori Fighting Stick 3s for LESS then one Virtua Stick High Grade... which one would work better for Tekken out of the two?

Johnkers

Yeah, problem is I'm not actually buying it for me, but for someone who pretty much only plays Tekken. So doesn't looks like VSHG is the right stick.

It's a shame, the HRAP was in stock last time I checked and was just about to order today but :(

MarkMan said:
Just recently Hori announced they will be taking preorders for the upcoming Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA(Sanwa) Edition.

It will retail for 10,000 Yen ($97 USD as of this post) and will ship April 17th.

It is only available on Hori's web store.

http://www.hori.jp/products/ps2/controller/realarc_pro2_sa/

http://sdtekken.com/2008/03/09/hori-real-arcade-pro-2-sa-is-coming/

Let's hope this actually comes out and doesn't end up like the HRAP3 SA lol.

thats pretty cool. thanks for the info! im going to keep a watch for this one.

Hi

I have a nubytech Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Arcade Stick (its massive!) which I am very happy with, the only problem is that one of the buttons keeps on getting stuck down, does anyone know how I can sort this problem out or point me in the right direction,
thanks for advance for any help

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
More than likely it got dirty... Just open it up and clean it...

The anniversary sticks are very easy to maintain... ^_^

it Finally Came :D

stick1.jpg

stick2.jpg

Johnkers

Lucky I waited and managed to find a HRAP3 stick. Now the only other question I have is upgrades, what would I be looking at for some better parts (stick and buttons?), how much and are these easy to install?

Cheers

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Very easy...

Buttons are easy to swap in and out thanks to quick disconnects...

Check my review (linked above) on the HRAP3 for pictures of what it looks like inside...

The stick is already a Sanwa... but that's easily changed as well.

Johnkers

MarkMan said:
Very easy...

Buttons are easy to swap in and out thanks to quick disconnects...

Check my review (linked above) on the HRAP3 for pictures of what it looks like inside...

The stick is already a Sanwa... but that's easily changed as well.

Nice, must have skimmed past that the first time I read the review :p

Thanks

LowParry

Johnkers said:
Lucky I waited and managed to find a HRAP3 stick. Now the only other question I have is upgrades, what would I be looking at for some better parts (stick and buttons?), how much and are these easy to install?

Cheers

I just replaced the face buttons on my HRAP3 stick. The stick is already an Sanwa brand so get Sanwa buttons. They're pretty cheap to. Like $2 - 3 a button. Easy to install. Just remember once you open it up, the warrenty goes bye bye.

Check the front page for parts, forums and blah for info of what you do, ect. Soon as I find who I bought from, I'll give ya a shout.

EDIT: Ah, here we go. http://www.lizardlickamusements.com/ Fast deliver and you even have the options of color :D

Go with the Sanwa OBSF-30 Pushbutton with Vertical Microswitch types for your face buttons. There are 24 size which are used for your start/select buttons. I didn't bother to switch those out since you're not using those to begin with. (Yes, MarkMan helped me out with this so you can thank him to for helping me out with this.)

Edit edit: FFS. :lol If you want to see what I'm talkin about, I'll try to snag the digi cam away and I'll take some shots to give ya an idea of what I did. The process took like 30 mins to do total.

Johnkers

Sounds good, I think I'll wait to see how the buttons are before doing any of that. Glad to know the option is there though

Sanjay

here are my sticks

Happ-Modded [ps2/xbox]
P1000282.jpg

All Sanwa Parts [ps2/pc/xbox]
P1000281.jpg

I just got this in today, love it. (with VF5) which i love too.
P1000280.jpg

I hear it has problems with 3 inputs or more with TEKKEN 5: DR so i gave that a go and it seemed fine, I was Paul. markman what move should i try to give this a go and god why is there no practice mode.

im thinking of getting this, how easy would it be to mod this with all sanwa parts?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000SKLUW4/

besiktas1

Hey looking to buy my first Arcade stick, all this SF talk has got me hyped.

I want to invest in a stick for the 360 but also would like to use it connected to my pc via USB.

Is this possible with the Hori EX2?

What else is good for an arcade stick with the xbox360 I looked at the reviews and this seems to be the best choice.

I found it for £35 at Amazon. Is this a good price can I find it anywhere cheaper (except ebay (maybe gaf buy and trade?)

Thanks for all the help in advance, it's time for me to try something a little different. I'm giddy :D :D

Sanjay

"There is.... if you upgrade to Tekken DR Online."

Yeah I checked the wikipedia page on Tekken DR and found out that way, then I upgraded stright away:D

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Hey besiktas1, I have an EX2 and it works with Windows successfully in Final Burn and a CPS3 emulator. I haven't been able to get it to work with Wolfmame though. They were £20 at Gamestation for a while but I missed that offer and ended up buying at Amazon for £35 :(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
In Tekken 5: DR... try this with Paul...

f,f+1+2 his throw... out of 10 tries, see how many times you can get it to come out.

Another more extreme test, Try to see how often you can get Bryan's 1+3+4 taunt to come out on single inputs...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
How hard would it be to take an extra Xbox 360 wireless controller and rewire it into a Hori EX2?

Has anybody done it and is there a tutorial or walkthrough?

besiktas1

Geezer said:
Hey besiktas1, I have an EX2 and it works with Windows successfully in Final Burn and a CPS3 emulator. I haven't been able to get it to work with Wolfmame though. They were £20 at Gamestation for a while but I missed that offer and ended up buying at Amazon for £35 :(

:( God damn it, for £20 I would have bought it without a second thought.

I', going to order mine probably next week, sometime, I want to buy it but have no beatemups to play with on the 360 :lol

I'll probably get King of Fighters to tide me over until SF2 HD. No point buying SF2 to buy it again a little later...

Hows VF online? I'm always worried about lag..

Sanjay

"f,f+1+2 his throw... out of 10 tries" Mission complete all 10 times.
"Bryan's 1+3+4 taunt" Failed, managed to do it twice in 10 goes.

I rarely do 3 button moves anyway with tekken 5 (just not that good yet). so all is good.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The taunt thing always gave me trouble on the VSHG. No matter what...

Try this combo with Nina to test the f,f + button inputs.

d/f+2, d/f+3,2, d/f+3,2, f,f+1+2

See how many times that comes out successfully... From my testing, when going for that combo I would get standing jabs instead lol.

Sanjay

"d/f+2, d/f+3,2, d/f+3,2, f,f+1+2"

Is that one big chain of combo?

I could not pull that off, so I assumed they must be separate combo?

"f,f+1+2" I could do this at least 5 times in a row most times then I would mess up (standing jabs), but i dont know if thats down to me just not timing it right everytime.

d/f+2 (uppercut slap?) managed it more then 5 times no problems
d/f+3,2 (low attack then uppercut attack?) managed it more then 5 times no problems

I end up messing the timing after more then 5 times, sometimes I get to 7 then mess up, cant handle the pressure to reach the holy 10... kinda also like in online battles at key moments I go for petty low attacks all of a sudden.

I think this VSHG has most problems with direction + 3 button moves.

It has M engraved at the back, from what i hear these are the revised revisions but still did not fix all the problems but maybe some. maybe why its "Out of print" now at play-asia.

Dizzy-4U

Ok, I need some feedback here.

I have the "SF Anniversary stick" and I want it to use it on the 360. I've read about this "XFPS Sniper 3.0" thing that let's you do the trick.

Did anyone tried this? Is there any lag imput or dead zones?

besiktas1

Welcome me into your arms guys, I bit the bullet! :D

I ordered the (360) EX2 stick from Amazon 35pounds.

Now I just need games to play with it :lol :lol

Can I have suggestions please:

360 XBL Arcade
I got Sonic don't know how well that'll play...
Any others?

360 Retail?
VF5 is the main bet. Should I wait for SF4 or is there still a while for that? Basically I want to apply myself to a fighter, seen as though I got a stick might as well start getting serious :)

MAME Beat em up

MAME TMNT type games

MAME Shmups

Misc?

Kafel

Banned
besiktas1 said:
Can I have suggestions please:

360 XBL Arcade
I got Sonic don't know how well that'll play...
Any others?
SWOS
Triggerheart

360 Retail?
VF5 is the main bet. Should I wait for SF4 or is there still a while for that? Basically I want to apply myself to a fighter, seen as though I got a stick might as well start getting serious :)
VT3

maybe these ones

CPS2

besiktas1 check a site like http://www.system16.com/ its a good way to look up game titles and have a look at a couple of screenshots. Also VF5 is very good, but it will take a while to learn and it isn't really a good choice to fill in time before SFIV. If you get VF5 make sure you play it!

Daigoro

damn. i finally got a 360 and want to get VF5 bad. i have so many custom sticks already and no way to use them on my 360.

i just got a HRAP 2 and modded it a few months ago. it so sweet.

i just dont want to settle for a Hori... im sure it will be a decent stick, but it wont be up to snuff. id probably wear it out quick too.

these are a bitch to mod, right? i guess i dont have that many options...

kazuo

only way to make your xbox 1 sticks/non-xbox sticks work on Xbox360 is to buy a wired 360 pad, take out the PCB and run wires from your stick to the 360 PCB.

PITA, but doable. I believe that's how Arcade-in-a-box and most of these other guys do it.

I picked up a Hori EX stick or whatever recently; planning to hack it up and install Sanwa parts. Hopefully it all goes well.

Can't wait for Super IIx HD. :D

Daigoro

kazuo said:
only way to make your xbox 1 sticks/non-xbox sticks work on Xbox360 is to buy a wired 360 pad, take out the PCB and run wires from your stick to the 360 PCB.

PITA, but doable. I believe that's how Arcade-in-a-box and most of these other guys do it.

I picked up a Hori EX stick or whatever recently; planning to hack it up and install Sanwa parts. Hopefully it all goes well.

Can't wait for Super IIx HD. :D

yeah, i figured that.

bot the pcb and the hori mods are supposed to be a pain though, right?

or am i behind the times? guess ill have to do some reading up on Shoryuken.

I have a question and here's probably the best place to ask (for the stick enthusiasts).

What's the best right postition for the buttons on an arcade stick with the usual 3 on top and 3 on the bottom order? How many fingers do you normally use - 3 or 2 or what?

Because I've been learning to play SFA3 and KOFXI and some of the 2in1's are hella to do e.g. Charlie's close standing HP into a flash kick/super flash kick - my problem is moving my finger from HP to HK, so I've been using my finger tip to hit HP and the middle part of my finger to hit HK. Is there a more efficient method of moving around the buttons? What do the pros do?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There any guides out there for using the 360 controller PCB?

manzo

Since there is no HRAP2/3 for Xbox360, would it be possible to:

1) Byu HRAP 3
2) Mod it to work with 360?

What I dream of: HRAP2/3 with Seimitsu LS32 parts for Raiden Fighters, Shikigami 3 and the upcoming cave shooters.

Am I SoL or is there a way to achieve this?

CPS2

If you want to use an HRAP or any other arcade stick on 360 that doesn't use a 360 pcb, you'll need to hack one up. There's a thread here with some instructions, and the 360 pcb is shown here.

manzo

UC1 said:
If you want to use an HRAP or any other arcade stick on 360 that doesn't use a 360 pcb, you'll need to hack one up. There's a thread here with some instructions, and the 360 pcb is shown here.

Thanks man. I have a week of winter holidays coming up, might as well order the HRAP and warm up the soldering iron.

besiktas1

Yay! My first arcade stick !!

My Fighting Stick EX2 came through this afternoon :D It feels great, nice feedback from the stick part.

Now all I need is some 360 games to play it with :lol :lol I don't think I thought this through properly.

Currently too broke to buy VF5 so am stuck waiting...

Any EU gaffers got VF to trade
or give to a poor 360 fighter

edit:
Sorry for shitty webcam pic
30rr70p.jpg

kazuo

Daigoro said:
both the pcb and the hori mods are supposed to be a pain though, right?

Wiring up the pcb is tedious, so I guess yeah it's a PITA. Soldering 20+ wires is no fun.

Installing a Seimitsu/Sanwa stick on the EX2 sucks balls also, the buttons? Not so much. Just need a sharp file or a dremel. The dremel makes it STUPID easy, takes like 5 minutes to sand the holes so the buttons fit, and then about 10-15 mins to run the wires.

If you're not anal-retentive about the controls, I say just use the stick until the buttons start sticking/failing, THEN replace the parts.

FoxSpirit

Stick alert!!!

LaststicksHRAP2SA.png

http://akihabarashop.jp/developments/

This is probably the last chance to get this stick for a decent price. Not only that, it's a special full Sanwa edition, meaning you not only get a Sanwa stick but also the buttons.
And since it's a PS2 stick, there's a bunch of excellent adapters out there to use this for almost any console.

Adapter thread here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=132493

Get this while it's still available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom