• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I was playing my buddy in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on XBLA yesterday and he was complaining like MAD about the shitty 360 gamepad. I told him about the XFPS adaptor but it's kinda expensive. Are there any PS2 to Xbox 360, or PS3 to Xbox 360 converter/adaptors other than the overpriced XFPS or whatever?

I am most proud of these...

Sticks.jpg

Took for fucking ever to find them all. The Capcom and SNK versions are still pretty much brand new, and will remain that way as I prefer to use the pads anyway... :)

Ohh yeah, this is pretty nice too, but I really don't care for the Neo-Geo sticks. I would have imported another one but the damn shipping is just too high for these things...

FatalFury.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The FT Dreamcast sticks are VERY nice... they're optical sticks much like the Sanwa Flash... good choice.

^_^

If you ever decide to trade em off/sell em, let me know, I only have one :(

plik

FoxSpirit said:
Stick alert!!!

LaststicksHRAP2SA.png

http://akihabarashop.jp/developments/

This is probably the last chance to get this stick for a decent price. Not only that, it's a special full Sanwa edition, meaning you not only get a Sanwa stick but also the buttons.
And since it's a PS2 stick, there's a bunch of excellent adapters out there to use this for almost any console.

Adapter thread here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=132493

Get this while it's still available!

i don't see a price listed on that site, how much is it going to be?

i asked this a long time ago.

but never found a solution, since the pelican ps2/ps3 converter is impossible to find right now.

so what do you guys use with hrap 2 when connecting to the ps3?

thank.

FoxSpirit

Click on "calculating the total cost" ;-)

And yeah, hopefully I'll get another PS3 adapter for this. Or Pelican should simply do a rerelease.

LowParry

Alright, looking into invest into a 360 arcade stick now. What are the recommendations on this? (Stick, button change outs, etc).

CPS2

I'm probably gonna just get a 360 stick from http://www.arcadeinabox.com/secure/scripts/default.asp

Sanwa stick, Sanwa buttons, curved Japanese layout, + artwork. I think when the site's back up he's gonna have a cheaper box available. Also they're phasing out "arcade in a box" systems and just focusing on sticks, and rebuilding the site.

Got a Hori Fighting stick EX2, but don't like it and don't feel like modding it.

Daigoro

pretty nice looking.

UC1 said:
Got a Hori Fighting stick EX2, but don't like it and don't feel like modding it.

im pretty much in the same boat. its halfway decent, like i knew it would be. but its definately subpar to every other stick i own. the stick is just ok and the buttons suck ass.

i might just swap out the buttons to give it a little life, but id really like it fully modded with a good stick.

hmph.

might have to go for one of those arcade in a box sticks eventually.

kazuo

Daigoro said:
im pretty much in the same boat. its halfway decent, like i knew it would be. but its definately subpar to every other stick i own. the stick is just ok and the buttons suck ass.

i might just swap out the buttons to give it a little life, but id really like it fully modded with a good stick.

hmph.

might have to go for one of those arcade in a box sticks eventually.

Yeah, I also picked up the Hori EX2 recently for 360, and while it's passable considering the price, it's definitely far from perfect. The joystick is pretty bad (though better than the fucking dpad on 360 controllers), but the buttons are decent enough.

Modding the stick to use Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons is relatively simple (just solder some wires & dremel the holes out) but the joystick install looks like a giant PITA.

Still, the EX2 is way cheaper than going with AIAB. If money is not an object, however, I highly recommend anyone looking into picking up a joystick for the 360 pass on the Hori and just buy a custom-built unit from AIAB.

Daigoro

jeesus, thats a thing of beauty.

kazuo said:
Yeah, I also picked up the Hori EX2 recently for 360, and while it's passable considering the price, it's definitely far from perfect. The joystick is pretty bad (though better than the fucking dpad on 360 controllers), but the buttons are decent enough.

Modding the stick to use Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons is relatively simple (just solder some wires & dremel the holes out) but the joystick install looks like a giant PITA.

Still, the EX2 is way cheaper than going with AIAB. If money is not an object, however, I highly recommend anyone looking into picking up a joystick for the 360 pass on the Hori and just buy a custom-built unit from AIAB.

yeah money was an object for me. luckily i got VF5 and the Ex stick for 80, so i was happy enough.

it will suffice for now. ill have to upgrade at some point in the not to distant future though.

swapping in some Sanwa buttons will give it some life, and ill have to look into mounting a new stick. dunno if i want to put up with that mod though. we'll see.

NolbertoS

I bought the Hori EX 360 and PS3 versions so far. Sure it's nice for now, but I'll probably mod it down the road. Can't wait to try it out some more. So far just played Street Anniversary, VF5, DOA4 on the 360 one and Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Fatal Fury on the PS3 :D

Hey guys. I just had a quick question on the Hori Fighting Stick EX2 for the 360. Will this controller work just like the normal wired 360 controllers when I plug it into the PC via USB? I'm not sure if I do quite enough fighting and arcade games on the 360 to make it worthwhile, but if I could also use it for fighting and arcade games via GameTap on my laptop it would be a much better buy for me.

Jonnyram

Just got my Hori EX2 and not keen on the buttons... anyone got any advice for quick & easy replacements - is there anything I can get that doesn't require modifying the case? I don't mind soldering, though.

Teknoman

Really LTTP on this, but after thinking on the matter awhile...

How's this:

5127046.big.jpg

The Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3. After searching abit, I found an old ad that said it wasnt compatible with PS2 or PS1 games. Has that been fixed? Im hoping to make my PS3 my"official fighting system" so just wondering.

http://tinyurl.com/5jtjg8

Its at Fry's Electronics for 50 bucks, so that would be better for me than paying shipping from Playasia. Still wish someone would make a universal arcade stick just in case some kinda 360 exclusive fighting action ever surfaced...but for now this would suffice.

Going to use it for 2d and 3d fighters. Also not planning on doing any modding or anything just yet since this would be my first arcade stick.

Teknoman

MarkMan said:
Teknoman, if you check local EB/GS stores for old stock on the FS3, it'd be $29.99. Might want to check there..
---

If anyone has been following the latest info regarding the Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA(PS2) arcade stick... Play-Asia just put up their preorder/price...

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=5038952#post5038952

$190 X_X

Ah gotcha, thanks. I'll definately give that a shot.:D

However does the stick actually not work with PS2 and PS1 titles? Or has that been fixed with recent firmware upgrades?

west

Teknoman said:
Ah gotcha, thanks. I'll definately give that a shot.:D

However does the stick actually not work with PS2 and PS1 titles? Or has that been fixed with recent firmware upgrades?

It works.

My friend has one of those and we have played GGXX:AC with it. It does however not seem to work on the PC like my beloved VSHG <3.

Teknoman

west said:
It works.

My friend has one of those and we have played GGXX:AC with it. It does however not seem to work on the PC like my beloved VSHG <3.

Ah thats cool then. Im just planning on using it with my PS3 (Got KoF XI, GGXX, SFAC, SFAA, VF5, and of course plan on getting KOF XII, SFIV, SCIV, and Tekken 6). I just hope that I can adapt from fighting with a d-pad to a stick. Used to using it in arcades of course, but never used a stick at home.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
It's time to design and build myself a new Wireless 360 arcade stick. The fact that I didn't have one ready for Ikaruga makes me very sad.

LowParry

The EX2 for the 360 is pretty good. The buttons feel a little stiff. Can those be swapped out for Sanwa buttons?

Joule

I'm thinking of picking up a Ps2 stick of some sort. I don't need a HRAP but something decent and relatively inexpensive. What are my options? I know of the Tekken 5 stick and the Hori Fighting Stick 2 but is there anything else I should look into?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MarkMan said:
If anyone has been following the latest info regarding the Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA(PS2) arcade stick... Play-Asia just put up their preorder/price...

Hori... Sanwa.... PS2....

that pretty much makes it the best stick ever. They should just keep this on the market.... (drop the price)... bring it to the states even....

Whats the word on 360 to PS2 adapters? Can I dl something to make it work in the USB ports? Or does anyone have a tut for me to hack up the 360 stick to plug into a PS2? I need a stick for Tekken and am very poor.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I got the Hori Fighting Stick EX2 from Gamestop today, brand new for $39.99. I guess it went down. It was their last one. Got VF4 along w/ it.

Stick is perfect in size and in weight. The gate is square, and I don't like that, so I'm looking into modding it soon. I like the bat vs. ball and I want click buttons as well.

Hooked it up to the PC for CPS3 emu and MAME and all is well. had to find drivers first though.

As a general rule, are square 4-way gates better for fighters that the 8 way octagonal ones?

Sagitario

I ordered the Hori fighting stick for the Wii... I'm loving Guilty Gear with the CC controller and I'm sure I'll love it more once I get the arcade stick... :D [I still suck at fighting games tough]...

NolbertoS

Farore said:
I ordered the Hori fighting stick for the Wii... I'm loving Guilty Gear with the CC controller and I'm sure I'll love it more once I get the arcade stick... :D [I still suck at fighting games tough]...

It's a damn shame Nintendo's online service isn't up to par with Xbox Live. or I'd be all over it and buying the Wii Hori Ex Stick. I'm still on the fence on this, but playing Bleach, Super Smash Bros. and Guilty Gear X with it, is tempting.

Ecto311

NolbertoS said:
It's a damn shame Nintendo's online service isn't up to par with Xbox Live. or I'd be all over it and buying the Wii Hori Ex Stick. I'm still on the fence on this, but playing Bleach, Super Smash Bros. and Guilty Gear X with it, is tempting.

I was amped to play with it and brawl and it doesn't work. I don't know if it works with the older games but it does work awesome with guilty gear.

Teknoman

DaCocoBrova said:
I got the Hori Fighting Stick EX2 from Gamestop today, brand new for $39.99. I guess it went down. It was their last one. Got VF4 along w/ it.

Stick is perfect in size and in weight. The gate is square, and I don't like that, so I'm looking into modding it soon. I like the bat vs. ball and I want click buttons as well.

Hooked it up to the PC for CPS3 emu and MAME and all is well. had to find drivers first though.

As a general rule, are square 4-way gates better for fighters that the 8 way octagonal ones?

Heh you're lucky you got it for 39.99. Fry's was selling it for 59.99 :lol Anyway, just got back with my Fighting Stick 3 for PS3, but i've got some questions:

When rotating the stick, is it supposed to sound "clicky"? I mean it rotates smooth, but makes a clicky noise when moving. Also is the ball on top of the stick supposed to be able to rotate?

Just wondering because the boxes were sorta beat up. Not dented up badly, but you could tell they werent handled that well.

EDIT: Holy crap. I've gotta relearn playing Street Fighter III with this. I cant even get hadouken motions out fast :lol

Seems you have to be really precise with your movements unlike with a d-pad. I am able to do parrying and EX moves pretty well now that I have all the buttons right infront of me. Same with 360 motion supers.

EDIT 2: Oooh I see now. The whole 4 way vs 8 way restrictor. Might have to mode that then. And I see that the clicking noise is normal, so thats cool. Now just to figure out how to mod this. Cant see how JP people are so used to 4 way...just feels kinda stiff.

NolbertoS

Teknoman said:
Heh you're lucky you got it for 39.99. Fry's was selling it for 59.99 :lol Anyway, just got back with my Fighting Stick 3 for PS3, but i've got some questions:

When rotating the stick, is it supposed to sound "clicky"? I mean it rotates smooth, but makes a clicky noise when moving. Also is the ball on top of the stick supposed to be able to rotate?

Just wondering because the boxes were sorta beat up. Not dented up badly, but you could tell they werent handled that well.

EDIT: Holy crap. I've gotta relearn playing Street Fighter III with this. I cant even get hadouken motions out fast :lol

Seems you have to be really precise with your movements unlike with a d-pad. I am able to do parrying and EX moves pretty well now that I have all the buttons right infront of me. Same with 360 motion supers.

EDIT 2: Oooh I see now. The whole 4 way vs 8 way restrictor. Might have to mode that then. And I see that the clicking noise is normal, so thats cool. Now just to figure out how to mod this. Cant see how JP people are so used to 4 way...just feels kinda stiff.

I grew up playing with the Japanese Arcade sticks, as the Americanized Arcades were hard to find in my part of town, so I'm used to the stiffness of the joystick. The clicking noise is normal and can be annoying at times. I'm guessing your EB didn't care to have the Hori Stick in stock, as my PS3 Hori Stick was in perfect condition with box. The box was sitting in the front of the shop, hidden between Guitar Hero's, so lucky that I found it in time :p. I'm now maybe going to get the Wii Hori Stick, but I'm debating still.

Teknoman

NolbertoS said:
I grew up playing with the Japanese Arcade sticks, as the Americanized Arcades were hard to find in my part of town, so I'm used to the stiffness of the joystick. The clicking noise is normal and can be annoying at times. I'm guessing your EB didn't care to have the Hori Stick in stock, as my PS3 Hori Stick was in perfect condition with box. The box was sitting in the front of the shop, hidden between Guitar Hero's, so lucky that I found it in time :p. I'm now maybe going to get the Wii Hori Stick, but I'm debating still.

Yeah my local EB (well the one near Fry's where we were anyway) didnt have a clue what they were talking about. I looked around for it myself to no avail, then decided to ask about it. The guy told me that they werent out yet and probably would release later this year.... -_- then again he didnt seem like he wanted to work yesterday.

I guess I could get used to it, especially if modding is too hard/costly to do.

Tiefooz

I found a Hori Fighting Stick 3 yesterday too, thanks to the store availability link, which you can check out here:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64248

And yeah, don't listen to the nonsense on the website or the sticker on the box. The stick definitely works with legacy PlayStation titles, thanks to a hardware update. Just dropped to $30, and is one of the best purchases I've made in years. :D

Now, I just need to find the VF5 stick. Alas, nothing in a 100 mile range, damnit. Online looks to be the best solution. Sigh.

svenuce said:
Ok, does anyone know if the Arcade in a Box sticks for 360, will also work on a PS3?

I doubt it, since no stick I've heard of so far supports cross platform play... damn shame considering how every console now uses USB for controllers, and how there were several cross platform sticks last gen...

NolbertoS

Tiefooz said:
I found a Hori Fighting Stick 3 yesterday too, thanks to the store availability link, which you can check out here:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64248

And yeah, don't listen to the nonsense on the website or the sticker on the box. The stick definitely works with legacy PlayStation titles, thanks to a hardware update. Just dropped to $30, and is one of the best purchases I've made in years. :D

Now, I just need to find the VF5 stick. Alas, nothing in a 100 mile range, damnit. Online looks to be the best solution. Sigh.

Yeah Amazon is selling it $20 above the EB price, but get them while they last, as the sticks go for alot of ebay.

DaCocoBrova

Been spending some more time w/ the EX2 and I really would prefer an octagonal gate, versus the square one that it comes with. More precision in the diagonals.

Anyway, I've done some research and this is the one I'm supposed to get:

Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate:

sanwa_gty.jpg

Anyone have any experience w/ this? I want to change the buttons, but that seems like a PITA.

What are my button replacement options (by model #)?

Baron

My Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA stick arrived from Japan just this morning. It is a sweet stick. Has anyone else purchased this thing? It sold out astonishingly fast. It's kind of cool having something that was produced in such small quantities. I don't play too many fighting games, I bought it mostly for a true arcade shmupping experience.

hrap2sa.jpg

haunts

Bacon of Hope
DaCocoBrova said:
Been spending some more time w/ the EX2 and I really would prefer an octagonal gate, versus the square one that it comes with. More precision in the diagonals.

Anyway, I've done some research and this is the one I'm supposed to get:

Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate:

sanwa_gty.jpg

Anyone have any experience w/ this? I want to change the buttons, but that seems like a PITA.

What are my button replacement options (by model #)?

Octagonal Restrictor is good for 2d games but not for 3d form my experiences. I used octagonal gate for a while and had a hard time with virtua fighter. It was butter for 3rd Strike and CVS2 though.

DaCocoBrova

^^

I figured. I've been playing VF5 like a mad man (101W, 0L) and I'm adjusting, but QCF's etc w/ the 2D stuff just doesn't feel right with the stick as-is.

Is there not a best of both worlds alternative?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I find Virtua Stick High Grade the best of both worlds.

I have a modded Tekken stick with Sanwa parts which is the stick I was talking about, a custom P360 which is good for 2d but horrible for 3d, and a VSHG.

The VSHG is the best stick I own, although the Tekken stick is a good alternative. All I can say is go into traning mode, keep the square restrictor, and practice execution.

It can be done, you just may need to change your hand position. The way I hold the joy stick, my index and ringer finger are around the top part of the balltop, then the ring and pinky are under the metal rod splitting the two sets of figners like this "<". The thumb is on the bottom of the ball top of course. This is the best way to hold the stick for both types games imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom