• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joule

Joule said:
I'm thinking of picking up a Ps2 stick of some sort. I don't need a HRAP but something decent and relatively inexpensive. What are my options? I know of the Tekken 5 stick and the Hori Fighting Stick 2 but is there anything else I should look into?

Didn't really get an answer for this so I'm quoting it. Any insight would be good.

fin

Just picked up the Hori stick for 360.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the stick rotates. Other than that, Street Fighter 2 and VF5 haven't been the same!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Baron said:
My Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA stick arrived from Japan just this morning. It is a sweet stick. Has anyone else purchased this thing? It sold out astonishingly fast. It's kind of cool having something that was produced in such small quantities. I don't play too many fighting games, I bought it mostly for a true arcade shmupping experience.

hrap2sa.jpg

My my, that is beautiful.

I love the box that they packaged it in as well..

I might jump on the May preorders for the second batch.

Did you guys hear about the Hori voting process for HRAP1 and HRAP3?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/feature....H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=93705106&pf_rd_i=637394

FoxSpirit

Baron said:
My Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA stick arrived from Japan just this morning. It is a sweet stick. Has anyone else purchased this thing? It sold out astonishingly fast. It's kind of cool having something that was produced in such small quantities. I don't play too many fighting games, I bought it mostly for a true arcade shmupping experience.

hrap2sa.jpg

*cue Donkey*
Me, me, yes me!! /ahem

Yeah, I will get mine tomorrow. Also, I will mod it with a Semitsu LS-32-01 because I always wanted to try that stick which is reportedly the better SHMUP choice. Also, from some dry testing, I think I'll like this more for 2D fighters also. 3D fighters... I'll have to see.

harSon

Banned
I'm almost done with my stick. I've already constructed the box, the only thing left to do is sand the box (Just spread out some wood filler), spray paint it, and mount the joystick - buttons - and Playstation controller.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Tow quick questions guys.

1 - Is the Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT still the best stick out there?
2 - Why the hell cant I find clear buttons or bubbletop's in Australia anymore? :mad:

Lee N

Membre
Router said:
1 - Is the Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT still the best stick out there?
There is no better stick, it all comes down to personal preference. JLF-TP-8Y (JLF-TP-8YT is the same stick but it comes with a flat mounting plate) is Sanwa's best selling stick, and the best selling stick from Seimitsu would be the LS-32.

I prefer Sanwa because that's what I'm used to, but I won't say the Seimitsu LS-32 is bad - it's just different.

Here are some measurements for the most popular sticks around:

YgwFHeAVR.gif

Router said:
2 - Why the hell cant I find clear buttons or bubbletop's in Australia anymore? :mad:
I don't know.. but I order my stuff from these guys:

http://www.akihabarashop.jp/developments/

They ship all over the world.

Hinomura

I've just finished upgrading my Hori RAP with two Sanwa OSBF 24 pushbuttons (Select and Start), eight Sanwa OSBF 30 pushbuttons and a Seimitsu LS 32 stick. It's been the first time, so I've got noob problems and I've spent about four hours (most of the time spent preparing the wiring).

I did a first attempt some days ago, but I was missing the tools to unscrew the nuts inside; I've made the daisy chain and linked the internal wires to the stick using other short wires I obtained from old PC cables (ie. an old audiocard to optical cd rom output cable); I'll fix this once I buy some fastons to make better wiring. I've removed exceeding plastic shapes from LS32 obtaining the screws to fix its metal plate to the metal base of the RAP without removing it and this is lowering the stick. I'll check if a shorter stick is better or not in the next gaming sessions.

Obviously I've tested it, and yes, it's working. I've plugged it to a win PC via usb to check stick and buttons, and everything is working fine and it seems there's no additional lag for the extra little wiring. I've still one RAP to mod, but I'm waiting for the parts I need to do a more "professional" job.

2d7g6s0.jpg

4v00vb.jpg

Flock

hey does anyone know anybody in australia that could mod on of my sticks for xbox 360.

melbourne would be great, but if they aren't far i'd pay shipping of course.

Edit: of course im willing to pay a pretty decent amount.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys I have a VERY old MAS stick that has a PS2 plug. The stick is about 10 years old. I use a JoyBox psx>pc converter for mame and FBA, but I'm not really happy with the performance. I play Samurai Spirits 2 alot and pulling off certain moves like Ukyo's fire birds are a major pain in the ass.

Do you guys think I am getting lag on this setup, and if so do you think it's worth buying a VSHG to replace my MAS stick? I'm used to the American "bat top" type sticks, but is it easy to adapt to Japanese-style "ball-top" style sticks?

Is VSHG more responsive than MAS sticks in emulators?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I just put an octagonal gate on my EX2 and it's much better.

DSCN1779.jpg

Fuck that square shit.

FoxSpirit said:
*cue Donkey*
Me, me, yes me!! /ahem

Yeah, I will get mine tomorrow. Also, I will mod it with a Semitsu LS-32-01 because I always wanted to try that stick which is reportedly the better SHMUP choice. Also, from some dry testing, I think I'll like this more for 2D fighters also. 3D fighters... I'll have to see.

That stick is HELLA sweet!!

Askia47 said:
I read part of the thread, but it seems to be alot about 360/PS3/custom sticks. I just want a simple ps2 stick.

tekken 5 hori. usually around 30-40 used

anyone have any info about the Amazon voting for the HRAP 1/3? I'd love to get my hands on an HRAP 1.

Askia47

viewtiful_dru said:
tekken 5 hori. usually around 30-40 used

anyone have any info about the Amazon voting for the HRAP 1/3? I'd love to get my hands on an HRAP 1.

hmm, looked on ebay only found one result and it will be gone before i get a chance to get it.

is this stick any good? http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-2byy.html

also if i get a 80gb ps3 can i use something like this for Third Strike?
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-77-4-49-en-15-joy+stick+-70-1o24-43-bm.html

Teknoman

DaCocoBrova said:
I just put an octagonal gate on my EX2 and it's much better.

DSCN1779.jpg

Fuck that square shit.

Question: Octagonal is the standard American style that lets you do the smooth rotational movements/ quarter circle motions right?

For some reason since my Fighting Stick 3's original labeling has some air pockets under it...and I still cant get used to the japanese style restrictor, im thinking about getting someone to mod both the labeling and the restrictor.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The FS3 has a plastic cover over the main plate, you can take that off ^_^

Also an octagonal restrictor plate is closer to the Happ Competition/Ultimate stick, but doesn't quite feel the same. It's just the gate that is changing shape. Instead of a square it's more of an octagon. It still requires the same precise motions for you to accomplish your moves.

Teknoman

MarkMan said:
The FS3 has a plastic cover over the main plate, you can take that off ^_^

Also an octagonal restrictor plate is closer to the Happ Competition/Ultimate stick, but doesn't quite feel the same. It's just the gate that is changing shape. Instead of a square it's more of an octagon. It still requires the same precise motions for you to accomplish your moves.

lol thanks on the plastic cover part, I was worried it was something I did to the stick. Well thats one problem solved :D

EDIT: Well I know I brought up the whole restrictor plate issue before, and really its just a thing of me being used to the usual American style sticks in the arcades. The ball top I can get used to though. Kinda makes me want to keep practicing to get a feel for the japanese style though, since if others can do it...im sure I can too.

Of course it still would be nice to mod this stick to feel just like the sticks im more familiar with.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I figure this is a good place to ask. I have to assume my VFHG stick won't work with my 360, so I'm in need of a good arcade stick for the system. Any suggestions? I know there was a stick that came out with VF, but I haven't been able to track it down. Is that still the best one on the system?

Momar

aka Ryder
I may have missed it if it was already posted, but has anyone here actually gotten/tried out one of those new PS2 -> USB (PS3) converters from The Ant Commandoes? I'm looking to pick one up. If it's no good, I might just sell my Tekken 5 stick once and for all... :(

CPS2

Kintaro said:
I figure this is a good place to ask. I have to assume my VFHG stick won't work with my 360, so I'm in need of a good arcade stick for the system. Any suggestions? I know there was a stick that came out with VF, but I haven't been able to track it down. Is that still the best one on the system?

There's only really 2 options: Hori fighting stick EX2, or custom. The VF5, DOA4 and fighting stick EX2 controllers for 360 are all exactly the same. After I get the HRAP2SA, my next purchase will be a custom 360 stick from arcadeinabox.com

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Ryder said:
I may have missed it if it was already posted, but has anyone here actually gotten/tried out one of those new PS2 -> USB (PS3) converters from The Ant Commandoes? I'm looking to pick one up. If it's no good, I might just sell my Tekken 5 stick once and for all... :(

I better get mine in from them tomorrow. If so you can expect me to test it with fighting games. I'll post results as well.

Tekno: You can always get a Sanwa bat top adapter and use that instead of the ball. Some people prefer that style as well.

In regards to getting VSHG to work with a 360, I would suggest having dual PCBs and have it modded. I'm not sure who is still doing modding, might want to ask around in SRK tech forums or on VFDC.

Momar

aka Ryder
MarkMan said:
I better get mine in from them tomorrow. If so you can expect me to test it with fighting games. I'll post results as well.

Awesome man! I plan on using it for PC and PS3 usage (once I get a PS3, that is...), so let me know if/what you're planning on testing it with (although, I assume it should be pretty close).

Looking forward to reading your impressions!

If anyone here is looking for a cheap stick and has some soldering skills/knack I have a used (malfunctioning) HRAP1 I'd sell for $25 shipped as is. The price is due to the fact that it is stuck in the UP direction (when you plug it in and try to use it 'up' is stuck pressed) and I want to get rid of it. I did some trouble shooting on it and I'm pretty sure the PSX PCB is the problem and needs to be replaced. You'll need to get an old PSX controller which is like $5 and take its pcb and resolder the connections to it. There are schematics online. Either way, it's a cheap route to get something that can be later be modded with sanwa/seimitsu parts.
If interested PM.

Edit;

SOLD

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
PM sent.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it went thru, please let me know. I'm interested in it lol. (PM system acting weird here).

am I correct in assuming that the original Neo Geo AES stick is an 8-way or is it a 4-way?

I am thinking about looking into building my own fighting stick eventually, but I'm just doing some research first.

alternatively, does anyone know if the neo geo wii stick will be coming to the US? I don't want to spend $60 for the controller plus $30 shipping to import it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
JodyAnthony said:
am I correct in assuming that the original Neo Geo AES stick is an 8-way or is it a 4-way?

I am thinking about looking into building my own fighting stick eventually, but I'm just doing some research first.

It's an 8 way. Not sure if the Neo Geo Wii stick is coming out here, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Superblatt said:
I'm looking for an inexpensive and reliable PS2 --> PS3 adapter for my X-arcade. Does anyone have ideas?

I'll have to test my x-arcade (gotta find it)... But I'm pretty sure the Pelican will be perfect, and assuming the TAC one works like it is advertised, that one would be good too(haven't tested it yet).

I'll post for sure when there is more info on it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If 2008 is the year of the fighter.

Why wouldn't 2008 be the year of the arcade stick?

Hm?

O.

But it is. :)

HRAP2 SA
HRAP1 Amazon.jp
HRAP3 Amazon.jp
Neo Geo Wii Arcade Stick

and there are more coming out later this year!

JodyAnthony said:
alternatively, does anyone know if the neo geo wii stick will be coming to the US? I don't want to spend $60 for the controller plus $30 shipping to import it.
Probably not, and I wish it came it white so that it matched the Wii itself.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MarkMan said:
HRAP2 SA
HRAP1 Amazon.jp
HRAP3 Amazon.jp
Neo Geo Wii Arcade Stick

and there are more coming out later this year!

Anything interesting coming to the 360 you think? Just would like to have one for the system. Shame it doesn't take my VF stick. I'd be set for the entire gen. =(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm pretty sure there will be something coming for the 360 with all the fighting games coming out for it.

HD Remix
Battle Fantasia

etc...

lupin23rd

So from the reviews I've seen, the PS3 sticks are now supporting PS1 and PS2 games, correct?

However, if I've got Japanese PS2 games and a North American PS3, there is no stick currently that I can use with both machines, and thus would need to buy a PS2 stick and an adapter (or a PS3 stick and adapter, if it works both ways) - Is this correct?

I'd like a stick or two for my PS3 with all the fighters coming up, but wouldn't mind having one that I can use for all the PS2 shmups I've picked up in the last little while (along with Basara X).

Thanks in advance for the help!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The best thing to do in your situation would be, buy a PS2 stick and get a Pelican converter.

Speaking of converters, I'll have my review up of the TAC tonight.

lupin23rd said:
So from the reviews I've seen, the PS3 sticks are now supporting PS1 and PS2 games, correct?

However, if I've got Japanese PS2 games and a North American PS3, there is no stick currently that I can use with both machines, and thus would need to buy a PS2 stick and an adapter (or a PS3 stick and adapter, if it works both ways) - Is this correct?

I'd like a stick or two for my PS3 with all the fighters coming up, but wouldn't mind having one that I can use for all the PS2 shmups I've picked up in the last little while (along with Basara X).

Thanks in advance for the help!

How are you playing JP PS2 games on a NA PS3?

Crazy seeing so many people on here with some great sticks. I though I had a problem with the few I have but I can sleep easy tonight:lol

Some older pic when my HRAP 3 arrived...

DSC06671.jpg

DSC06673.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Here is a link to my review of the TAC PS2 to PS3 converter:

http://sdtekken.com

Top article.

NOTE: This review only pertains to the converter and it's use with fighting games. Our guitar compatibility portion of the review is still being written. Should be up sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom