• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

Agreed. The GH5 is better in basically every way over Sony's offerings IMO. There's a very minor improvement in low light w A7sII but that's about it. You also save over $1k with better weather sealing and better ergo. No contest.
The mirrorless realm is so jam packed with good competition that I'm forever confused why people think that the best route is to go Sony. Don't get me wrong, it's a route, it's a good route, but it's not the only route.

Chumley

Banned
The mirrorless realm is so jam packed with good competition that I'm forever confused why people think that the best route is to go Sony. Don't get me wrong, it's a route, it's a good route, but it's not the only route.

It's because the GH4 had a terrible video-y look that just sucked for filmmaking and Sony came in with a 4k solution at a similar price point shortly after that had none of those problems, but the GH5 fixed all of that and I'm not sure if everyone is yet aware of how big of an upgrade it actually is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you want IBIS go Panasonic. They seem to have one of the best implementations or Olympus. Fuji seems to have OIS on the lenses that need it like the telephoto stuff and the kit lens oddly enough. I personally view IBIS as mostly a video thing, but that's really just me. I wouldn't mind having it, but to be honest I've been able to live without it. Now if you want something smaller to pair with the A7Rii I'd recommend a G85. Should have everything you ask for...granted a smaller sensor size.

Video is a nice to have for me, but I'm still mainly interested in stills. I'm looking into APS-C cameras right now to serve as a companion to my A7R ii, but I'm not in any rush to buy.

As far as I can tell, the only attractive options for APS-C mirrorless models on the market right now are the Fuji X-T2 and X-T20, and the Sony A6500, but all of them have strong enough negatives that prevent me from pulling the trigger right now. The A6500 would probably be perfect for me and it has just about all of the features I would want, but I really don't like the form factor.

I'm sure Panasonic is great and all, but I really have no interest in going smaller than APS-C. Then again, maybe I need to look into Micro Four Thirds more. I admit to not knowing much about it or Panasonic's ecosystem.

Probably because they have consistently been putting out "game changer" cameras starting with the A6000. Sure, the competition quickly catches up (and surpasses in many ways) Sony's offerings, but know one cares about a catch-up story. Sony knows how to make a splash and get people talking about them.

I like how at least every month, if not every week, this thread always bashes Sony.

d29c741aa18f2241fbaa5cb9011e37ce.jpg

Chumley

Banned
But yeah for stills I'm not getting rid of my Canon anytime soon. Pansonic owns the DSLR video field right now, but Canon is still IMO the king for photography.

Hell, I still get a lot of HD video work with my 5d Mk. III. Put a prime lens on there and you get beautiful visuals.

Video is a nice to have for me, but I'm still mainly interested in stills. I'm looking into APS-C cameras right now to serve as a companion to my A7R ii, but I'm not in any rush to buy.

As far as I can tell, the only attractive options for APS-C mirrorless models on the market right now are the Fuji X-T2 and X-T20, and the Sony A6500, but all of them have strong enough negatives that prevent me from pulling the trigger right now. The A6500 would probably be perfect for me and it has just about all of the features I would want, but I really don't like the form factor.

I'm sure Panasonic is great and all, but I really have no interest in going smaller than APS-C. Then again, maybe I need to look into Micro Four Thirds more. I admit to not knowing much about it or Panasonic's ecosystem.

Probably because they have consistently been putting out "game changer" cameras starting with the A6000. Sure, the competition quickly catches up (and surpasses in many ways) Sony's offerings, but know one cares about a catch-up story. Sony knows how to make a splash and get people talking about them.
When it comes to stuff with drawbacks I usually just look at the things that are the most important. I don't think there is ever going to be a camera that exists that checks off every box. Also regarding Panasonic, sensor size was the only reason why I didn't just get a G85. I like that camera a lot, it's just the sensor size that made me go against it. I will admit that at first I wasn't too hot on Fuji stuff, but the more I use it the more I figure stuff out with it. Started to customize the Fn buttons and it really streamlined some of the stuff I'd have to menu dive for like switching focus modes and such. I'll probably take it out again this week, it really just depends on what I'm in the mood to shoot with. My D810 is still an excellent camera so I'm not dropping that any time soon, nor DSLR's in general. I think everything has it niche and place in the market. People wishing that DSLR's would stop existing just cause Mirrorless exists actually kind of annoy me. I took my D810 into a park in 85 degree weather for about two hours to take pictures, didn't kill me and I got some kick ass shots with it. At some point I'll take the XT-2, but it's currently losing the glass war and lacks stamina (1 battery). I think I shot off 200+ pics recently and it was at 57% battery. I'm not getting rid of either camera though.
I like how at least every month, if not every week, this thread always bashes Sony.

d29c741aa18f2241fbaa5cb9011e37ce.jpg
Critiquing and bashing are not the same things.

Sony works for you because all your FF lenses will work with the a6500. No need to invest thousands in another lens system.

I think the Fuji X-T2 is pure sex, and I will probably pull the trigger at some point, but I also think Sony has been putting out fantastic cameras that make owners of other systems uncomfortable. I don't really know why that is the case, but it is.

If the a7iii releases this year, it will be a fantastic camera, probably a lot better than the XT-2.

Sony works for you because all your FF lenses will work with the a6500. No need to invest thousands in another lens system.

I think the Fuji X-T2 is pure sex, and I will probably pull the trigger at some point, but I also think Sony has been putting out fantastic cameras that make owners of other systems uncomfortable. I don't really know why that is the case, but it is.

If the a7iii releases this year, it will be a fantastic camera, probably a lot better than the XT-2.
I honestly think every manufacturer is good at something, it just depends on if that lines up specifically with what you need. I'm a stills person so Nikon and Fuji is right up my alley. Sure I can do video, but I honestly just don't care for it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

One of the main reasons I'm looking into an APS-C backup is for the size, so I would probably be buying a couple of dedicated APS-C lenses anyway.

I think I'll definitely wait for a while. By this time next year, I'm sure Sony will have a few new offerings on the market and we may even have news from Fuji about their future plans.

My A7R ii more than gets the job done for most situations, but I really want an even more compact option that also does great with fast movement. The auto-focus system on the A7R ii is great, but it really doesn't cover enough of the frame (45% or so?) and I wouldn't mind a faster frame rate for consecutive shots.

One of the main reasons I'm looking into an APS-C backup is for the size, so I would probably be buying a couple of dedicated APS-C lenses anyway.

I think I'll definitely wait for a while. By this time next year, I'm sure Sony will have a few new offerings on the market and we may even have news from Fuji about their future plans.

My A7R ii more than gets the job done for most situations, but I really want an even more compact option that also does great with fast movement. The auto-focus system on the A7R ii is great, but it really doesn't cover enough of the frame (45% or so?) and I wouldn't mind a faster frame rate for consecutive shots.
My main thing with Sony is the same thing with Nikon. They really don't put that much time, money or thought into their crop sensor lenses. I think what's available now is what's going to be available two years from now regarding those two. If you want something dedicated to crop sensor then your best bet actually is Fuji. It might be lacking a couple of bells and whistles for you, but it's still a top rated camera without the IBIS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My main thing with Sony is the same thing with Nikon. They really don't put that much time, money or thought into their crop sensor lenses. I think what's available now is what's going to be available two years from now regarding those two. If you want something dedicated to crop sensor then your best bet actually is Fuji. It might be lacking a couple of bells and whistles for you, but it's still a top rated camera without the IBIS.

For sure. I think the Fuji X-T2 is awesome and if I do end up pulling the trigger on something before the end of the year, it will definitely be that. I just need to decide if the lack of IBIS is really that big of a deal or not. I think I'll play with my friend's model a bit more and try out some editing with the raw files before deciding either way.

For sure. I think the Fuji X-T2 is awesome and if I do end up pulling the trigger on something before the end of the year, it will definitely be that. I just need to decide if the lack of IBIS is really that big of a deal or not. I think I'll play with my friend's model a bit more and try out some editing with the raw files before deciding either way.
Just letting you know now RAF files are fucking weird. I usually know what to expect with my Nikon NEF files, but the Fuji RAF files have like no life to them at all, there's no pop, they're a bit flat. I can still edit the shit out of them if need be, but man they require some rescuing.
my perfect camera would be a XT-2/XT-20 with IBIS. I wish Nikon would hurry up and announce their mirrorless already
Whatever they announce better be more thought out than the last mirrorless they rolled out. At least FX please.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, all bets are off if Nikon gets serious about mirrorless.

Personally, there's no way I would ever consider getting a DSLR again, but I would love to see what Nikon (and Canon) would bring to the table if they invested in mirrorless.

Man, all bets are off if Nikon gets serious about mirrorless.

Personally, there's no way I would ever consider getting a DSLR again, but I would love to see what Nikon (and Canon) would bring to the table if they invested in mirrorless.
Canon has gotten better with the M5. Nikon really needs to step it up though and it has to be better than an A6000 in my opinion (I'm not knocking it, it's just at this point the goal post has shifted). It's getting to the point where that market is jam packed with good stuff. It's like you either hit the ground running with it or it's DOA.

sneaky77

Just letting you know now RAF files are fucking weird. I usually know what to expect with my Nikon NEF files, but the Fuji RAF files have like no life to them at all, there's no pop, they're a bit flat. I can still edit the shit out of them if need be, but man they require some rescuing.

Whatever they announce better be more thought out than the last mirrorless they rolled out. At least FX please.

Aren't all raw files flat? That's technically the definition of it, maybe you're doing some import auto process in the Nikon ones. I see people mentioning the stuff about RAF but I don't see that many issues, and some people I follow on youtube that shoot some fuji seem to be ok with it too. You'll get used to it I guess lol.

About the 18mm.. I don't know where you get that is bad, sure it may not be a top of the line L glass equivalent like the 16mm, but is a very capable lens, I've been pretty satisfied when I've used it.

RuGalz

Canon has gotten better with the M5. Nikon really needs to step it up though and it has to be better than an A6000 in my opinion (I'm not knocking it, it's just at this point the goal post has shifted). It's getting to the point where that market is jam packed with good stuff. It's like you either hit the ground running with it or it's DOA.

Good luck getting latest sensor from Sony (probably). Sensors play an even larger role with MILC for all the features that people want. So even if they can get the same ones Sony uses from Sony, Nikon's cost will be higher overall and people will just bitch whatever they make only 'matches Sony' but cost xxx dollars more.

anything from nikon will probably have serious quality control issues anyway
Depending on how hot you like your cameras so will Sony. Has the D500 been recalled yet? I think they've gotten better recently.
Good luck getting latest sensor from Sony (probably). Sensors play an even larger role with MILC for all the features that people want. So even if they can get the same ones Sony uses from Sony, Nikon's cost will be higher overall and people will just bitch whatever they make only 'matches Sony' but cost xxx dollars more.
Yeah the MILC world is too competitive. I'd almost be perfectly fine if they just stick a D810 sensor in it and just improve the AF performance.
Aren't all raw files flat? That's technically the definition of it, maybe you're doing some import auto process in the Nikon ones. I see people mentioning the stuff about RAF but I don't see that many issues, and some people I follow on youtube that shoot some fuji seem to be ok with it too. You'll get used to it I guess lol.

About the 18mm.. I don't know where you get that is bad, sure it may not be a top of the line L glass equivalent like the 16mm, but is a very capable lens, I've been pretty satisfied when I've used it.
That's good to hear. I'll probably be on the look out for the 35 1.4 at some point.

I either under expose a lot on my X-T2 or they're just processed differently from what I'm used to on my Nikon. I'm not sure, but there's definitely something different about them.

dhlt25

at least you know Nikon will have a competent touch screen interface unlike sony

sneaky77

I either under expose a lot on my X-T2 or they're just processed differently from what I'm used to on my Nikon. I'm not sure, but there's definitely something different about them.

I don't have the XT2, but I do have the XPro2, make sure you set the DR to DR100, not in auto, I heard sometimes that may affect stuff, also, on mine I usually underexpose in purpose to -1 to save highlights, since it tends to blow them on me otherwise a lot of the time. So I usually do have to bring the shadows and brightness, so I can see that being a thing I guess.

at least you know Nikon will have a competent touch screen interface unlike sony
Oh shit.
I don't have the XT2, but I do have the XPro2, make sure you set the DR to DR100, not in auto, I heard sometimes that may affect stuff, also, on mine I usually underexpose in purpose to -1 to save highlights, since it tends to blow them on me otherwise a lot of the time. So I usually do have to bring the shadows and brightness, so I can see that being a thing I guess.
Thanks I'll be looking into this when I get home.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a total amateur, but I feel like FroKnows is kind of not so good at photography and editing despite being in the game for so long. Nothing against the guy personal, and all of this stuff is pretty subjective, but some of his advice is pretty bonkers and he likes to jack up the contrast by 50 ~ 100 in just about every photo he edits. I realize most of his stuff is geared for complete beginners, but I certainly wouldn't point anyone to his channel.

I'm a total amateur, but I feel like FroKnows is kind of not so good at photography and editing despite being in the game for so long. Nothing against the guy personal, and all of this stuff is pretty subjective, but some of his advice is pretty bonkers and he likes to jack up the contrast by 50 ~ 100 in just about every photo he edits. I realize most of his stuff is geared for complete beginners, but I certainly wouldn't point anyone to his channel.
I know all about FroKnows. He's turning into a bit of a shill. I don't hate him but damn. I jack up my contrast as well but it depends. I also tone down the vibrance and saturation to keep the colors from getting too unrealistic. There's a lot of editing stuff he does not go into at all. I think he just deals with the basics cause a lot of people really are not in control of their own cameras.

sneaky77

That's cool, I don't really watch him that much and I have picked up stuff here and there specially beginner stuff, like you mentioned, as per editing all that is at taste but since he was dealing with RAF files on lightroom i thought it was interesting,no worries, i am sure there's a bunch of other youtube material.

A thing to keep in mind about his photography is that we see his workflow, him working on a large volume of his shooting and, truth is, most of it won't ever see the light of day.

I work in the creative industry and I can tell you that the volume of garbage I produce vastly, vastly outweighs the good stuff. For each good idea, I have twenty bad ones; for each golden idea, I have hundreds of misses. Being in this industry for so long and dealing with cinema directors, writers, photographers, designers etc, I can tell it's pretty much universal. The constant among creatives is that you only make good stuff if you make a lot of garbage.

All that said, I personally dislike most of his photography, albeit I can see how some of it might have appeal to some people; and I find his style utterly jarring.

sneaky77

A thing to keep in mind about his photography is that we see his workflow, him working on a large volume of his shooting and, truth is, most of it won't ever see the light of day.

I cull plenty and i just do photography for fun so I can relate with that, I have learnt to be more choosy with some yrs definitely

I work in the creative industry and I can tell you that the volume of garbage I produce vastly, vastly outweighs the good stuff. For each good idea, I have twenty bad ones; for each golden idea, I have hundreds of misses. Being in this industry for so long and dealing with cinema directors, writers, photographers, designers etc, I can tell it's pretty much universal. The constant among creatives is that you only make good stuff if you make a lot of garbage.

All that said, I personally dislike most of his photography, albeit I can see how some of it might have appeal to some people; and I find his style utterly jarring.
I think I have something like a 15-20% keeper rate, it really depends on a couple of things these days. I can probably even narrow that down a lot more, but I do tend to keep doubles of certain shots if I make a B&W of something.
That's cool, I don't really watch him that much and I have picked up stuff here and there specially beginner stuff, like you mentioned, as per editing all that is at taste but since he was dealing with RAF files on lightroom i thought it was interesting,no worries, i am sure there's a bunch of other youtube material.
Editing really is a taste thing. I used to clarity the christ out of my portraits but I stopped cause it don't look good. Sometimes I'll nudge it but I think on people 10 is tops in Lightroom. There's a popular look with B&W's where they just over do something on people and I don't like the damn look of it, it's not realistic at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am probably closer to 5 ~ 10% in terms of what I keep and maybe 2 ~ 5% when it comes to what I actually share with others.

Then again, a lot of my photography is done shooting in continuous mode (5 fps) and taking pictures of my kids and their friends, so there is a lot of luck involved in capturing the right moment.

I am probably closer to 5 ~ 10% in terms of what I keep and maybe 2 ~ 5% when it comes to what I actually share with others.

Then again, a lot of my photography is done shooting in continuous mode (5 fps) and taking pictures of my kids and their friends. So there is a lot of luck involved in capturing the right moment.
Yeah this is true. I used to just keep everything. Not so much anymore. I know I can cull more but it depends on a couple of things, also depends on how fixable something is and what mood I'm in.

I was shooting on a Pentax K-7 but my rig has been a Lumix GH4 for a year now. I should post a pic of it in its cage now that the follow focus is properly hooked up!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this is true. I used to just keep everything. Not so much anymore. I know I can cull more but it depends on a couple of things, also depends on how fixable something is and what mood I'm in.

I would probably keep more if the A7R ii RAW files weren't so ridiculously huge!

I would probably keep more if the A7R ii RAW files weren't so ridiculously huge!
I can sympathize. The D810 is like the biggest I can tolerate. I shoot uncompressed on the XT2 but it's not that much bigger than lossless on the D810. I should probably just flat out dump my non keepers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How big are the D810 files? I imagine it's pretty similar considering the close megapixel count.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Uncompressed is about 75mb, lossless is 45-50mbs.

Yeah, sounds almost the same. Sony offers uncompressed RAW (80+ MB) and compressed RAW (40~50 MB). I go with the compressed version since I really didn't notice that much of a difference in the quality.

Yeah, sounds almost the same. Sony offers uncompressed RAW (80+ MB) and compressed RAW (40~50 MB). I go with the compressed version since I really didn't notice that much of a difference in the quality.
I don't touch uncompressed on my damn camera. Had it like that once...the first week I got it, had a model shoot and it took up like 40gbs and that was after switching to lossless in the middle of it.

Stencil

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I need help:

I just bought a Canon AF35M point & shoot, and the lens shield doesn't open when I switch it open. The issue isn't that exactly, the issue is that when I do switch it to open, the shutter fires. Or it sounds & acts like it's taking a picture. I haven't developed my first roll yet but I'm pretty sure that's what is happening. Any recommendations on how to fix? Should I just push the shield open and leave it open? Am I just being paranoid?

TKM

Samsung was first, but Sony has been relentless with pushing MILC. I'd say they've been putting out "game changer" cameras well before the A6000. I had an NEX-5. It had no built-in viewfinder, clunky menus, slow CDAF, and didn't challenge DSLRs in a meaningful way. Small body, kit lens with good OSS, and decent 1080P video were the highlights.

Bought the NEX-5N after. Better noise performance, and electronic first-curtain shutter. Low light performance up there with the best APS-C DSLRs of its time, low shutter lag, still hopeless menus.

Then the NEX-7 with SEL24F18Z and my peers took notice. The designers raided the A-77 parts bin and gave it a 24MP sensor and OLED EVF. Alpha shoe for flash and triple-dials. All buttons on a camera should be customizable IMO, and the NEX-7 indulged.

Sony doesn't seem to care about cannibalizing their other lines, and just put out cameras with whatever new parts are available. Like the mad RX1 and RX1R full frame oddities with fixed 35mm lens. It was expensive, had no OVF/EVF, and slow AF. A friend of mine had it, we marveled at the tech but shooting with it kind of sucked. But development no doubt helped pave the way for the A7 line.

They sell FIVE different versions of the RX100 simultaneously because Sony designers can't stop iterating.

As someone who jumped from an NEX-7 to a A6500, I appreciate the rapid progress. There's nothing I'd want from an APS-C DSLR, and it's nearly the perfect camera for my needs.

Menus could still use work though. Sony seems more focused on advancing camera tech than photography.

Ty4on

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I need help:

I just bought a Canon AF35M point & shoot, and the lens shield doesn't open when I switch it open. The issue isn't that exactly, the issue is that when I do switch it to open, the shutter fires. Or it sounds & acts like it's taking a picture. I haven't developed my first roll yet but I'm pretty sure that's what is happening. Any recommendations on how to fix? Should I just push the shield open and leave it open? Am I just being paranoid?
Take a picture with the button. Does the shield open then too?

sneaky77

Anybody here know if the Fuji 35 1.4 is as loud and slow as people make it out to be?

I don't feel like it is, I think people online exaggerate way too much about it, I guess if you need to be dead silent, then yes, is not, but reading some of those comments and my experience with it, I've never had those issues.

I don't feel like it is, I think people online exaggerate way too much about it, I guess if you need to be dead silent, then yes, is not, but reading some of those comments and my experience with it, I've never had those issues.
So it's pretty much just the internet being drama queens?

Jeff-DSA

I did it, GAF. I am converting from Canon to Sony. I'm going from an aging Canon 7D to a Sony a6300. Decided to take a small step into the mirrorless world and if I really love it, I'll invest deeper on the next camera.

I got the Metabones adapter to use my Canon lenses on the a6300, but I'm wondering if I should just slowly start transitioning to E mount lenses and ditch the adapter. Any thoughts on that?

I did it, GAF. I am converting from Canon to Sony. I'm going from an aging Canon 7D to a Sony a6300. Decided to take a small step into the mirrorless world and if I really love it, I'll invest deeper on the next camera.

I got the Metabones adapter to use my Canon lenses on the a6300, but I'm wondering if I should just slowly start transitioning to E mount lenses and ditch the adapter. Any thoughts on that?
Sony body, Canon lens is actually a very well known set up, just keep the Canon glass, especially if it's L lens tier.
imo yeah pretty much that
Online does like to complain a lot, especially with stuff like focus breathing.

sneaky77

Online does like to complain a lot, especially with stuff like focus breathing.

There's counted times I wish it had better close focus, that's the only thing I've noticed, sometimes it will hunt slightly when low light, but I think that's pretty normal. Other than that, I think is really good glass. But I am not a pro, and I am not comparing to $4000 cameras either lol

There's counted times I wish it had better close focus, that's the only thing I've noticed, sometimes it will hunt slightly when low light, but I think that's pretty normal. Other than that, I think is really good glass. But I am not a pro, and I am not comparing to $4000 cameras either lol
It's probably only oddly soft a 1.4 I would assume. Most likely could be worse. I'll most likely get it depending on what price I find it at. If I see a good copy at 300 I'll snatch it.

Jeff-DSA

Sony body, Canon lens is actually a very well known set up, just keep the Canon glass, especially if it's L lens tier.

Yeah, I have some nice lenses. I'll stick with them. I guess any new lenses I pick up might as well be the correct mount, but no reason to go through the process of converting everything.