• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I did it, GAF. I am converting from Canon to Sony. I'm going from an aging Canon 7D to a Sony a6300. Decided to take a small step into the mirrorless world and if I really love it, I'll invest deeper on the next camera.

I got the Metabones adapter to use my Canon lenses on the a6300, but I'm wondering if I should just slowly start transitioning to E mount lenses and ditch the adapter. Any thoughts on that?

If you have a decent amount of good Canon lenses, then definitely invest in the adapter. I've used the Mark V Metabones and it works great. Feels like using a native Canon lens on a Canon body in my experience.

With that said, you can't take advantage of the native Sony features like eye detect. Eye detection (continuous eye auto-focus) is fucking amazing and absolutely worth it if you shoot people frequently.

If you have the budget, I would recommend spending the extra cash and getting the a6500. It has a much bigger buffer than the a6300, so you won't get locked out from shooting as much (and can actually truly take advantage of the 11fps shooting ability). More importantly, it has the in-body image stabilization, too, which I find pretty crucial if you do handheld shooting at lower shutter speeds.

Jeff-DSA

If you have a decent amount of good Canon lenses, then definitely invest in the adapter. I've used the Mark V Metabones and it works great. Feels like using a native Canon lens on a Canon body in my experience.

With that said, you can't take advantage of the native Sony features like eye detect. Eye detection (continuous eye auto-focus) is fucking amazing and absolutely worth it if you shoot people frequently.

If you have the budget, I would recommend spending the extra cash and getting the a6500. It has a much bigger buffer than the a6300, so you won't get locked out from shooting as much (and can actually truly take advantage of the 11fps shooting ability). More importantly, it has the in-body image stabilization, too, which I find pretty crucial if you do handheld shooting at lower shutter speeds.

Thanks, for the input. Makes sense to me.

I went with the a6300 because I found one locally that a wedding photographer bought for an employee that bailed and they only had used it for a few shoots. The photographer shoots only high-end Nikon, and was selling this for super cheap. It was $350 with the kit lens.

If I really like the a6300, I figure I can easily sell for what I'm into it and step up to the a6500 or whatever comes down the line in the next year or two.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, for the input. Makes sense to me.

I went with the a6300 because I found one locally that a wedding photographer bought for an employee that bailed and they only had used it for a few shoots. The photographer shoots only high-end Nikon, and was selling this for super cheap. It was $350 with the kit lens.

If I really like the a6300, I figure I can easily sell for what I'm into it and step up to the a6500 or whatever comes down the line in the next year or two.

Holy shit at that price. Yeah, that's a no-brainer.

I really need to get on this Lightroom game, because I'm accumulating tons of pictures. A lot of them I don't want, but it's hard to organize them from windows explorer or iPhoto.

Also I'm going to need an external hard drive because ever since I got the a7ii shit is getting ridiculous. I already maxed all my space in my Macbook Air.

Ty4on

I really need to get on this Lightroom game, because I'm accumulating tons of pictures. A lot of them I don't want, but it's hard to organize them from windows explorer or iPhoto.

Also I'm going to need an external hard drive because ever since I got the a7ii shit is getting ridiculous. I already maxed all my space in my Macbook Air.

I'd look into a desktop or a NAS to store all of it.

Maybe just me (I own a desktop and no laptop), but I couldn't stand having to work with a bunch of external drives.

Jeff-DSA

I'd look into a desktop or a NAS to store all of it.

Maybe just me (I own a desktop and no laptop), but I couldn't stand having to work with a bunch of external drives.

I have a bunch of external drives filled up with photos. If you're VERY good at cataloging and labeling, it's not so bad. But honestly, it's kind of annoying having to store them and then worrying about the older drives. I need to update my storage solution.

RuGalz

I have a bunch of external drives filled up with photos. If you're VERY good at cataloging and labeling, it's not so bad. But honestly, it's kind of annoying having to store them and then worrying about the older drives. I need to update my storage solution.

If you really care about your photos, NAS plus online backup is the only safe way to go imo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I need to figure out a better method for storage and backup.

Right now I just have all of my RAW files on a single computer's hard drive. The outputted JPEGs get uploaded to my iCloud photostream and some of them go on Flickr, too, but I definitely need to get a backup solution sorted sooner than later.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, I need to figure out a better method for storage and backup.

Right now I just have all of my RAW files on a single computer's hard drive. The outputted JPEGs get uploaded to my iCloud photostream and some of them go on Flickr, too, but I definitely need to get a backup solution sorted sooner than later.

https://www.wdc.com/products/external-storage/my-book-new.html

This is a very easy solution for local backup. If you have Amazon Prime, you get unlimited free photo backup, even for RAWs.

I have waited a long time for the 6D MK II, and boy am I disappointed. Small bump in features that would have been great a while back, but for $2,000, no thanks. That's not an 'affordable' FF DSLR.

Damn. People love to complain about the D810 for some odd reason, but it's still an excellent camera.

Where do you see these complaints? I'm not a Nikon guy but anything from the D610 and up are amazing cameras. I've always had my perception that the D810 is a beast. I personally prefer the way Canon and Sony feel better in my hands, but any person worth their salt know that those Nikon models are outstanding cameras.

I'm pretty disappointed in the 6D II. This was Canon's chance to catch up to Sony, and they failed. I don't know why they continue avoiding 4k, and at the $2k range a dual card slot is a must have feature at this point. After this, all signs are pointing the Sony's a7iii as my next camera.

For what they are askingm might as well get a 5d MIII.

Where do you see these complaints? I'm not a Nikon guy but anything from the D610 and up are amazing cameras. I've always had my perception that the D810 is a beast. I personally prefer the way Canon and Sony feel better in my hands, but any person worth their salt know that those Nikon models are outstanding cameras.

I'm pretty disappointed in the 6D II. This was Canon's chance to catch up to Sony, and they failed. I don't know why they continue avoiding 4k, and at the $2k range a dual card slot is a must have feature at this point. After this, all signs are pointing the Sony's a7iii as my next camera.

For what they are askingm might as well get a 5d MIII.
Depends on where you go and who you meet. I guess I just run into some complaining ass photographers in NYC. The D810 doesn't always have the snappiest AF and the FPS is...well slower than what some people want, but that's it. Only complaints I'd ever freaking come up with. I'm not selling this thing ever. I personally recommend it over the D750, but that's just me. The last couple of Canon's kind of sound phoned in. I'm sure they're still very capable cameras, but there just doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking with them.

RuGalz

I'm pretty disappointed in the 6D II. This was Canon's chance to catch up to Sony, and they failed. I don't know why they continue avoiding 4k

Because making a FF sensor with fast read out isn't an easy task. Sony can do it because they are an electronic company first. Canon probably could have supported 4k by cutting corners and people will still compare to Sony and say it's just not as good (due to binning and whatever). Unfortunately Samsung bailed out of the market so now we have a monopoly situation, so expect Sony prices to rise once these other giants fail.

RuGalz

The last couple of Canon's kind of sound phoned in. I'm sure they're still very capable cameras, but there just doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking with them.

What else is there to innovate in DSLR? MILC still has plenty of room to improve that's why we are seeing more progress more quickly there. The progression will slow down soon enough.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Depends on where you go and who you meet. I guess I just run into some complaining ass photographers in NYC. The D810 doesn't always have the snappiest AF and the FPS is...well slower than what some people want, but that's it. Only complaints I'd ever freaking come up with. I'm not selling this thing ever. I personally recommend it over the D750, but that's just me. The last couple of Canon's kind of sound phoned in. I'm sure they're still very capable cameras, but there just doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking with them.

I'm not sure what they're complaining about. If they wanted AF speed and FPS, then they should have gotten a D500 or D5. The D810 maximizes megapixels and dynamic range. It's all a game of compromises and choosing the best tool for the job, and they should understand that.

I'm not sure what they're complaining about. If they wanted AF speed and FPS, then they should have gotten a D500 or D5. The D810 maximizes megapixels and dynamic range. It's all a game of compromises and choosing the best tool for the job, and they should understand that.
I know right? I like it fine for what I do with it...also nobody told that guy to take his D810 into a rain storm...nothing gonna survive that shit.
What else is there to innovate in DSLR? MILC still has plenty of room to improve that's why we are seeing more progress more quickly there. The progression will slow down soon enough.
MILC is actually catching up pretty well. I was hesitant cause of how the early ones were, but the most recent crop seem to be great. I love the X-T2 and I'm quite sure it tracks better than anything I've ever used, just have no good glass for it yet. I guess people are just expecting too much out of DSLR's these days cause outside of the increase in AF points and ISO what more can you really do?

RuGalz

MILC is actually catching up pretty well. I was hesitant cause of how the early ones were, but the most recent crop seem to be great. I love the X-T2 and I'm quite sure it tracks better than anything I've ever used, just have no good glass for it yet. I guess people are just expecting too much out of DSLR's these days cause outside of the increase in AF points and ISO what more can you really do?

MILC has definitely reached the point where I start to recommend it to people new to photography. Many features will surpass DSLR (and many already are) just because it being able to analyze the image in real time. I'll always have a DSLR because I can't stand EVF or don't need its features in various situations. I also don't trust weather sealing on MILC. And my MILC will always only have prime/pancake lenses in order to actually take advantage of having a smaller body. I own Pentax DSLR so I already have to make up the AF-C deficiency using techniques, which I think are good to have, so I honestly don't care for AF that much as long as I can override the focus without having to switch to MF mode on the lens/camera. I always tell people: There are plenty of BIF images captured by people on film cameras with MF. I already have way better tool than they did so there's no reason why I can't at least match what they could do.

MILC has definitely reached the point where I start to recommend it to people new to photography. Many features will surpass DSLR (and many already are) just because it being able to analyze the image in real time. I'll always have a DSLR because I can't stand EVF or don't need its features in various situations. I also don't trust weather sealing on MILC. And my MILC will always only have prime/pancake lenses in order to actually take advantage of having a smaller body. I own Pentax DSLR so I already have to make up the AF-C deficiency using techniques, which I think are good to have, so I honestly don't care for AF that much as long as I can override the focus without having to switch to MF mode on the lens/camera.
I will admit some of the MILC makers need to up their prime game. I would love a 105 F2 prime or something like that on my Fuji. I do like the weight saving, but if I need to do something intensive I'm bringing my DSLR.

I wonder if the 6D mk1 price will go down much, probably not enough for me to buy one but you never know

Edit - Whoa, Henrys has a 1000 dollar Canadian difference between the two

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I certainly can't think of any way that DSLRs can improve other than marginal upgrades. It's dead-end tech as far as I am concerned. The mirror and prism system was developed to let people see through their lenses to better frame their shots. It was the best solution at the time, but mirrorless is a far better solution, because it not only lets you see through your lens, but also see through your camera body, so there's no question about what your shot will look like.

I really want to see Canon and Nikon get into the mirrorless game. It's not good for the market if Sony is the only player in the full frame mirrorless category. Even in APS-C, the only rival is Fuji, who are awesome, but it's hard to call them a huge player in the market.

Honestly, I think the A9 that recently came out represents a tipping point where mirrorless cameras no longer have to carry compromises compared to DSLRs. Auto-focusing tech was really the last bastion where DSLRs were objectively superior, but that's no longer the case and I think we will continue to see mirrorless cameras improve in this realm, skyrocketing past DSLR tech.

There is still so much room for innovating in the mirrorless realm. It's unquestionably the future of digital cameras. DSLRs won't disappear anytime soon, but they are definitely going the way of the film camera. I would love to see more variety in bodies. If Canon and Nikon could put out some bodies that are able to take advantage of their massive lens lineups, then that would be amazing.

MILC has definitely reached the point where I start to recommend it to people new to photography. Many features will surpass DSLR (and many already are) just because it being able to analyze the image in real time. I'll always have a DSLR because I can't stand EVF or don't need its features in various situations. I also don't trust weather sealing on MILC. And my MILC will always only have prime/pancake lenses in order to actually take advantage of having a smaller body. I own Pentax DSLR so I already have to make up the AF-C deficiency using techniques, which I think are good to have, so I honestly don't care for AF that much as long as I can override the focus without having to switch to MF mode on the lens/camera. I always tell people: There are plenty of BIF images captured by people on film cameras with MF. I already have way better tool than they did so there's no reason why I can't at least match what they could do.

This honestly reads like "well, the tech isn't in my camera of choice, so I don't need it!" That's fine and all. If people are happy with their gear and the results they are getting from them then there's no need for them to change to anything else, but I also don't understand the desire to argue against better tech, which is the impression I got.

For example, if AF-C deficiencies did not exist and all cameras had 1,000+ ultra-fast auto-focus points covering 100% of the frame with various options for what to prioritize, etc. would you so value those "techniques" you talk about? When it comes to overriding the autofocus, don't most camera bodies have an AF button that can either be pressed to hold or clicked to toggle auto-focus on and off for quick access to manual focus whe nyou need it? No need to flip a switch on the lens itself or take your eye away from the viewfinder.

Personally, I can't understand the appreciation of an optical viewfinder, but that's probably like arguing with someone who swears by film and film only about the merits of digital. Seems like a lot of it is about "feeling" and what the person is used to.

I certainly can't think of any way that DSLRs can improve other than marginal upgrades. It's dead-end tech as far as I am concerned. The mirror and prism system was developed to let people see through their lenses to better frame their shots. It was the best solution at the time, but mirrorless is a far better solution, because it not only lets you see through your lens, but also see through your camera body, so there's no question about what your shot will look like.

I really want to see Canon and Nikon get into the mirrorless game. It's not good for the market if Sony is the only player in the full frame mirrorless category. Even in APS-C, the only rival is Fuji, who are awesome, but it's hard to call them a huge player in the market.

Honestly, I think the A9 that recently came out represents a tipping point where mirrorless cameras no longer have to carry compromises compared to DSLRs. Auto-focusing tech was really the last bastion where DSLRs were objectively superior, but that's no longer the case and I think we will continue to see mirrorless cameras improve in this realm, skyrocketing past DSLR tech.

There is still so much room for innovating in the mirrorless realm. It's unquestionably the future of digital cameras. DSLRs won't disappear anytime soon, but they are definitely going the way of the film camera. I would love to see more variety in bodies. If Canon and Nikon could put out some bodies that are able to take advantage of their massive lens lineups, then that would be amazing.
I honestly think an A9 with at least the mechanical shutter from the A99ii would've been damn near perfect. If Nikon can put the D500 and new D810 tech into a MILC body they'll have something in my opinion. And now that I'm thinking about it why the heck can't Sony put XQD cards in their damn cameras?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly think an A9 with at least the mechanical shutter from the A99ii would've been damn near perfect. If Nikon can put the D500 and new D810 tech into a MILC body they'll have something in my opinion. And now that I'm thinking about it why the heck can't Sony put XQD cards in their damn cameras?

Seriously. The mechanical shutter on the A9 is a gross oversight considering they already have the tech in other bodies, but chose to recycle a worse/cheaper version. I guess they were just so confident in their electronic shutter (with good reason) that they didn't think anyone would want it. At $3,000 or under, I would have agreed with them, but not at $4,500. Same with the memory cards. Also with the lack of 4k60fps.

Oh, well. Maybe next year. For better or worse, Sony loves to iterate quickly.

Seriously. The mechanical shutter on the A9 is a gross oversight considering they already have the tech in other bodies, but chose to recycle a worse/cheaper version. I guess they were just so confident in their electronic shutter (with good reason) that they didn't think anyone would want it. At $3,000 or under, I would have agreed with them, but not at $4,500. Same with the memory cards. Also with the lack of 4k60fps and a touch screen.

Oh, well. Maybe next year. For better or worse, Sony loves to iterate quickly.
Don't get me wrong the banding has been reduced, but it's still there at times. If it's not there in 200 pictures you don't care about but it's in the so called money shot you're going to be pissed. Sony make XQD cards, but they don't put them in their premier sports bodies? What's up with that?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong the banding has been reduced, but it's still there at times. If it's not there in 200 pictures you don't care about but it's in the so called money shot you're going to be pissed. Sony make XQD cards, but they don't put them in their premier sports bodies? What's up with that?

I've spent a lot of time researching the A9 and I honestly haven't seen any compelling evidence that banding is an issue except for this one blog post: https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170525_2056-Sony_A9-PatternNoise-at-ISO100.html

The guy has to do some extreme cropping and editing to even expose the red channel banding, and it's really not visible in color image viewed at a reasonable size. Even the Angry Photographer said he couldn't identify any banding issues when he tested the thing under all kinds of shitty lighting, and that could would certainly not hesitate to tear Sony a new one for any fault, no matter how minor.

I've spent a lot of time researching the A9 and I honestly haven't seen any compelling evidence that banding is an issue except for this one blog post: https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170525_2056-Sony_A9-PatternNoise-at-ISO100.html

The guy has to do some extreme cropping and editing to even expose the red channel banding, and it's really not visible in color image viewed at a reasonable size. Even the Angry Photographer said he couldn't identify any banding issues when he tested the thing under all kinds of shitty lighting, and that could would certainly not hesitate to tear Sony a new one for any fault, no matter how minor.
It might be a case by case basis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv1JCHfXDdY

Wow, I hadn't seen that before. Some of that looks really awful. I hope it's just a QC issue and not an inherent fault in their system.

I first thought it might have been related to the shutter speed, but then he shows some perfectly clean shots at 1/5000.
Yeah you never know with this one. I hope it's a small problem. Granted I like mechanical shutters, but I want the electronic tech to work out. I was hesitant with EVF's, but I like it in the X-T2 after I got used to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah you never know with this one. I hope it's a small problem. Granted I like mechanical shutters, but I want the electronic tech to work out. I was hesitant with EVF's, but I like it in the X-T2 after I got used to it.

Indeed. Those issues are really inexcusable in a $4,500 camera if it's inherently a problem with the tech and not just an issue with some specific bodies. That's especially exacerbated when you consider the mechanical shutter in the A9 sucks.

Indeed. Those issues are really inexcusable in a $4,500 camera if it's inherently a problem with the tech and not just an issue with some specific bodies. That's especially exacerbated when you consider the mechanical shutter in the A9 sucks.
This is why I don't really see sports photographers switching over to it. I really wouldn't even buy it over a D4S, tech or not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is why I don't really see sports photographers switching over to it. I really wouldn't even buy it over a D4S, tech or not.

For stadium sports where noise isn't a concern at all, there's zero reason to switch. The focusing tech is about on par with the D5, which is best-in-class, but not necessarily better.

I read through the comments in the video you linked and some people are theorizing that it has to do with the LED lights reflecting off of white surfaces and how their light frequencies cause the banding/rolling shutter effect at higher shutter speeds. If that's the case, then the camera is dead for stadium sports, since LED lights certainly aren't going anywhere.

I would certainly love one for shooting my family and friends and outdoors sporting events, etc. but the price is too high still for that. I'm hoping the tech, even if at a lower framerate, makes its way into the A7iii or A7siii, which I imagine are the next models to get announced.

If it is an issue with the high speed readout, it won't be a software fix and probably not a localized problem.

One thing to test is shooting warmer, longer bursts that heat up the sensor. Heat worsens the noise profile of amps, and if the problem is due to the readout pipeline (e.g. amps), it would make the issue show up.

RuGalz

Ever wonder why Fuji tends to be a bit behind in term of tech side of things besides them not being an electronic giant? Guess who makes Fuji's sensor? Sony. Canon and Nikon can't get Sony's cutting edge sensors period (or maybe too cost prohibiting) and almost all the 'innovations' in MILC currently rely on having faster read out from the sensor. Maybe it will eventually trickle down after Sony has a firm grip to be the dominant player in the market but by then the monopoly has established, the costs won't be passing down to consumers. Canon still makes their own sensor but it's obviously behind a bit.

This honestly reads like "well, the tech isn't in my camera of choice, so I don't need it!" That's fine and all. If people are happy with their gear and the results they are getting from them then there's no need for them to change to anything else, but I also don't understand the desire to argue against better tech, which is the impression I got.

I'm all for innovations; I'm still a geek at heart. I only said I don't need it, not preaching that nobody should be using these products. Furthermore, I'm NOT willing to pay for these stepping stone products. I'm willing to make up the difference using my own techniques. However, the tendency I see is over reliance and emphasis on technology than the other way around. Good, proper techniques are useful no matter what camera you use it's very simple concept.

For example, if AF-C deficiencies did not exist and all cameras had 1,000+ ultra-fast auto-focus points covering 100% of the frame with various options for what to prioritize, etc. would you so value those "techniques" you talk about?
Until the camera can read my mind, knowing exactly what I want to be in focus, techniques are still valuable arsenal. You can have a million focus points and it still won't know the focus should be this little area at lower left corner of the frame. And you know there are sports / wild life shooters that prefer AF-S over AF-C. They are in the minority for sure but it's not like they don't produce outstanding work. Would they care for 20fp?
Not really... There are many ways to solve the same problem and different preferences.

When it comes to overriding the autofocus, don't most camera bodies have an AF button that can either be pressed to hold or clicked to toggle auto-focus on and off for quick access to manual focus whe nyou need it? No need to flip a switch on the lens itself or take your eye away from the viewfinder.

Not all cameras / lenses work the same way. My go-to lenses are the ones that can change focus by just turning the focus ring at any time. Most MILC lenses I believe tend to work that way because they are focus by wire. Mechanical ones have to be designed to work that way.

Personally, I can't understand the appreciation of an optical viewfinder, but that's probably like arguing with someone who swears by film and film only about the merits of digital. Seems like a lot of it is about "feeling" and what the person is used to.

There's a difference between someone who knows pros and cons of both sides vs someone who just wants the old ways just because what they are used to. Once EVF can reach 240fps, has close to zero lag, and lack of screen door effect maybe it won't bother me any more. If I'm asked to shoot an event and I'm barfing all over the floor due to motion sickness caused by EVF, then I have failed my assignment.

For stadium sports where noise isn't a concern at all, there's zero reason to switch. The focusing tech is about on par with the D5, which is best-in-class, but not necessarily better.

I read through the comments in the video you linked and some people are theorizing that it has to do with the LED lights reflecting off of white surfaces and how their light frequencies cause the banding/rolling shutter effect at higher shutter speeds. If that's the case, then the camera is dead for stadium sports, since LED lights certainly aren't going anywhere.

I would certainly love one for shooting my family and friends and outdoors sporting events, etc. but the price is too high still for that. I'm hoping the tech, even if at a lower framerate, makes its way into the A7iii or A7siii, which I imagine are the next models to get announced.
So is the A9 then the worlds first dedicated golf camera?
Ever wonder why Fuji tends to be a bit behind in term of tech side of things besides them not being an electronic giant? Guess who makes Fuji's sensor? Sony. Canon and Nikon can't get Sony's cutting edge sensors period (or maybe too cost prohibiting) and almost all the 'innovations' in MILC currently rely on having faster read out from the sensor. Maybe it will eventually trickle down after Sony has a firm grip to be the dominant player in the market but by then the monopoly has established, the costs won't be passing down to consumers. Canon still makes their own sensor but it's obviously behind a bit.

I'm all for innovations; I'm still a geek at heart. I only said I don't need it, not preaching that nobody should be using these products. Furthermore, I'm NOT willing to pay for these stepping stone products. I'm willing to make up the difference using my own techniques. However, the tendency I see is over reliance and emphasis on technology than the other way around. Good, proper techniques are useful no matter what camera you use it's very simple concept.

Until the camera can read my mind, knowing exactly what I want to be in focus, techniques are still valuable arsenal. You can have a million focus points and it still won't know the focus should be this little area at lower left corner of the frame. And you know there are sports / wild life shooters that prefer AF-S over AF-C. They are in the minority for sure but it's not like they don't produce outstanding work. Would they care for 20fp?
Not really... There are many ways to solve the same problem and different preferences.

Not all cameras / lenses work the same way. My go-to lenses are the ones that can change focus by just turning the focus ring at any time. Most MILC lenses I believe tend to work that way because they are focus by wire. Mechanical ones have to be designed to work that way.

There's a difference between someone who knows pros and cons of both sides vs someone who just wants the old ways just because what they are used to. Once EVF can reach 240fps, has close to zero lag, and lack of screen door effect maybe it won't bother me any more. If I'm asked to shoot an event and I'm barfing all over the floor due to motion sickness caused by EVF, then I have failed my assignment.
There are a lot of excellent comments in this post. Tech shouldn't be made to override overall technique. Reading about people that can't live without something like face detection is annoying. It's great if you got one person in front of you but with street photography it's going to pick a random face and it will not be the one you want. I turned that nonsense off after the second day of having my Fuji. Tech is fine, but no photographer should rely on it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is the A9 then the worlds first dedicated golf camera?

Haha, maybe. Also super useful for photographing live shows (music, plays, etc.), weddings, ceremonies of all kinds, etc.

There are a lot of excellent comments in this post. Tech shouldn't be made to override overall technique. Reading about people that can't live without something like face detection is annoying. It's great if you got one person in front of you but with street photography it's going to pick a random face and it will not be the one you want. I turned that nonsense off after the second day of having my Fuji. Tech is fine, but no photographer should rely on it.

My take is that better tech lowers the barrier to entry and further democratizes photography. I think that's great, personally. I know I would not have picked up an interest in photography if we were still stuck with film and only the ability to focus manually. Too much trouble for me.

Haha, maybe. Also super useful for photographing live shows (music, plays, etc.), weddings, ceremonies of all kinds, etc.

My take is that better tech lowers the barrier to entry and further democratizes photography. I think that's great, personally. I know I would not have picked up an interest in photography if we were still stuck with film and only the ability to focus manually. Too much trouble for me.
I'm one of those "you're paying me to be here" people. If you don't want to hear shutter slaps then don't pay a photographer to take pictures of your event. You think photojournalists give a shit? Those dude damn near drown out a dude as he's giving a public speech, shit's hilarious. If we were still stuck in film and MF I wouldn't be a photographer. I get lowering the barrier for entry, but at the end of the day you still need some semblance of control of your camera. I personally hate seeing people out in open daylight taking pictures with their pop up flash up cause their camera is in auto mode. It's laughable and sad.

LProtag

Finally got a chance to take my Ricoh GR on a vacation to some busy cities.

Snap focus is so much fun. Still getting used to judging the distance though, I have to move between 1.5 and 2 meters often at the distances I work at usually.

I'm one of those "you're paying me to be here" people. If you don't want to hear shutter slaps then don't pay a photographer to take pictures of your event. You think photojournalists give a shit? Those dude damn near drown out a dude as he's giving a public speech, shit's hilarious. If we were still stuck in film and MF I wouldn't be a photographer. I get lowering the barrier for entry, but at the end of the day you still need some semblance of control of your camera. I personally hate seeing people out in open daylight taking pictures with their pop up flash up cause their camera is in auto mode. It's laughable and sad.

Maybe they are exposing for the sky and adding the flash to light the subject :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

They *do* drown out public speeches and it's fucking ridiculous. One more reason why I hope electronic shutter tech improves to the point where it will be unacceptable to use a goddamn slapping shutter in any setting where silence is valued or other people are trying to hear something. I can't wait for the day when the people paying photographers request they use a silent camera. The world will be better off.

Learning how the camera works and getting out of auto is definitely important, I will agree with that. The concepts really aren't that hard to digest when explained plainly.

Maybe they are exposing for the sky and adding the flash to light the subject :p

Unlikely, but that is one situation in which a pop-up flash can be useful!

They *do* drown out public speeches and it's fucking ridiculous. One more reason why I hope electronic shutter tech improves to the point where it will be unacceptable to use a goddamn slapping shutter in any setting where silence is valued or other people are trying to hear something. I can't wait for the day when the people paying photographers request they use a silent camera. The world will be better off.

Learning how the camera works and getting out of auto is definitely important, I will agree with that. The concepts really aren't that hard to digest when explained plainly.
The way I see it is that they're their to do a job. It's their job to photograph the event plain and simple. If they started to worry about if people can't hear them they risk fucking something up and not getting paid. It only really becomes a problem in stuff like press briefings. On top of this a lot of modern cameras aren't that loud. My 810 and XT2 are plenty quiet with their mechanical shutters. Regarding people learning the basics of photography there are a lot of people that don't want to put the time into it. It's really not that complicated, but some are just lazy and go "fuck it auto mode."
If they're doing it from a few feet away, then ok.

If they're doing it from more than that, then it's not contributing jack.
You don't need a pop up flash to photograph a building a block and a half away.
I'd say the main reason is the lens ecosystem, and cost, really.
It has gotten better, but it's really not something I'd want to migrate into and sports shooters most likely already have the Nikon/Canon versions of those lens, which have been honed over multiple versions. I don't think they'd want to be beta testers for Sony's first versions of large telephoto 2.8 primes.