• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

I really want to learn how to use a flash. Never used one before except for the tiny one that came with my camera, and pictures look like crap with it.

The built-in flash can't help but look like garbage for anything other than fill— it is on-axis with the lens and it's small. Using a flash well typically means big light coming from not the same place as the lens.

Some websites:
On-camera: NeilVN.com
Off-camera: Strobist.com

Book: Light: Science and Magic

Lender

Why not get the XT10? Cheaper version of the XT1

I love the ISO dial on the X-T1, plus weathersealing is a plus as well.

what's the concern? just curious

You know, I don't really have a need for it right now. But it's a camera I've always found very interesting and wanted to own one day. So I either wait for the moment I really need one, or I jump on the occasion now and spent some unforeseen money. :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Going on a honeymoon trip for two weeks to the Nordic countries, and want to upgrade my camera game.

Back in college, I had lots of experience on a 5DmkII and a good range of L glass. Personally, I just bought a cheap 40D and a couple kit lenses, and then rented out nicer lenses for free from the journalism school. I'm a strong, bigger guy - but I hated lugging around a big body and big lenses in a big bag. When I graduated, I took a hard look at Micro 4/3rds bodies, but they just weren't "there" yet for me, between slow AF, small sensors, a limited lens selection.

I eventually sold all my gear about three years ago, and have just used a Fuji X10 since, and I absolutely love it. Going to upgrade, I think, for my honeymoon... in addition, we now have a companion pass with Southwest, so I imagine we'll be hitting a LOT more locations traveling in the next year. Currently Denver, Sedona, San Diego, Mexico, and Tokyo are on our short list.

Long story short, without dropping a helluva lot of coin, but being very spoiled with professional equipement, I think I've found a good compromise in the Fuji X-T1. I had used a X-Pro 1 for a bit a couple years ago - and while I loved the build, it had a lot of glaring issues that seem resolved with the X-T1, now.

Probably going to pair it with a 16mm 1.4 - that'll work in street, low light, and lots of landscape... and I can grab the occasional macro and even an okay portrait if I can move around. I won't have any reach, but I don't think I'm going to need it at first.

Am I crazy going with the 16? I've considered the 23, which is a 35mm equiv, and that might be a "safe" pick for Lens #1 - but I can't imagine I'll be too hamstrung by the 16 walking through the highlands in Iceland or the streets of Stockholm. And the 16 is weather resistant, which will come in handy, I think.

I'm more of a prime guy than a zoom, so that's why I'm between these two. Thoughts? Browsing Fredmiranda, I can probably have great condition, used samples in my hand for about $750 and $750... $1,500 to get going.

Aurongel

Gonna be taking my A7ii with 35mm to asia in a week. First time shooting only with a prime.
I just got back from a trip that I shoot on full frame with 35mm and I found it to be a great experience for 99% of street shooting. IF you're only going to have one focal length then that is the one to own.

sfedai0

Banned
I just got back from a trip that I shoot on full frame with 35mm and I found it to be a great experience for 99% of street shooting. IF you're only going to have one focal length then that is the one to own.

Nice to hear. Yea, took Evilore's advice and taking a 35mm instead of 55mm for street shots.

RuGalz

You know, I don't really have a need for it right now. But it's a camera I've always found very interesting and wanted to own one day. So I either wait for the moment I really need one, or I jump on the occasion now and spent some unforeseen money. :p

I hear you. My itchy finger wants X-T10 even though I don't really need it. Ultimately I should wait for X-Pro2's 24MP sensor to trickle down...

Am I crazy going with the 16? I've considered the 23, which is a 35mm equiv, and that might be a "safe" pick for Lens #1 - but I can't imagine I'll be too hamstrung by the 16 walking through the highlands in Iceland or the streets of Stockholm. And the 16 is weather resistant, which will come in handy, I think.

It could work but personally I think 16 is too wide assuming you are going to take many pictures with your wife in it.

Aurongel

Nice to hear. Yea, took Evilore's advice and taking a 35mm instead of 55mm for street shots.
I'd only recommend the 55 for street photography if you're in a not-so-good neighborhood or are bad with people. For as much as I love the 35mm, it requires you to be more or less within the peripheral vision of people on the street (at least with how I shoot). That's fine in most cases but I never got as much heat from pissy bystanders with my 50mm like I do with my 35mm. Might be anecdotal but it's something to keep in mind depending on the area.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

16mm is at the point where you'll have to be more aware of perspective distortion. Although being a 25mm equivalent, it's not too wide. You'll just have robber in close to your subjects. 35mm would ease all of these issues with the caveat of losing that nice expansive look. So, I would decide base on whether you'll be focusing in street life, people, details (35mm), or overall architecture, landscapes, unique angles (16mm).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Going on a honeymoon trip for two weeks to the Nordic countries, and want to upgrade my camera game.

Back in college, I had lots of experience on a 5DmkII and a good range of L glass. Personally, I just bought a cheap 40D and a couple kit lenses, and then rented out nicer lenses for free from the journalism school. I'm a strong, bigger guy - but I hated lugging around a big body and big lenses in a big bag. When I graduated, I took a hard look at Micro 4/3rds bodies, but they just weren't "there" yet for me, between slow AF, small sensors, a limited lens selection.

I eventually sold all my gear about three years ago, and have just used a Fuji X10 since, and I absolutely love it. Going to upgrade, I think, for my honeymoon... in addition, we now have a companion pass with Southwest, so I imagine we'll be hitting a LOT more locations traveling in the next year. Currently Denver, Sedona, San Diego, Mexico, and Tokyo are on our short list.

Long story short, without dropping a helluva lot of coin, but being very spoiled with professional equipement, I think I've found a good compromise in the Fuji X-T1. I had used a X-Pro 1 for a bit a couple years ago - and while I loved the build, it had a lot of glaring issues that seem resolved with the X-T1, now.

Probably going to pair it with a 16mm 1.4 - that'll work in street, low light, and lots of landscape... and I can grab the occasional macro and even an okay portrait if I can move around. I won't have any reach, but I don't think I'm going to need it at first.

I'm more of a prime guy than a zoom, so that's why I'm between these two. Thoughts? Browsing Fredmiranda, I can probably have great condition, used samples in my hand for about $750 and $750... $1,500 to get going.

If you're only going to have one lens -- a prime lens -- with you on a long travel scenario, and you're not *absolutely* confident that you want the specific look of a different focal length, then a bright 35mm equivalent is what to take, without hesitation. There's a reason the Fuji X100 series and the Sony RX1 series both have bright fixed 35mm equivalent lenses attached. I kept a Fuji X100 and then X100S with me as my main camera for years of world travel and looking back at my photo library I have no regrets whatsoever about doing so. 35mm equivalent (which is 23mm on Fuji's APS-C systems) is the perfect all-purpose travel companion.

Compare the flickr pages for both lenses and you'll have a much better idea of what sort of output they'll give you.

Fuji 16mm f1.4

Fuji 23mm f1.4

I imagine it'll be obvious what you want as your single prime on a long trip after comparing both of those photo pools.

Also remember that you can always grab the 18-55 kit lens really cheaply used as a second lens for your trip, to satisfy any urges to hit different focal lengths.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thank you for all the input, guys, I really appreciate it.

I had looked at sample picks on DPReview for both, and - to be honest - I still lean toward the 16mm. After looking at Flickr, I'm even more confident it fits with my style - and looks a lot like the stuff I used to take with my 24/2.8 on the 5D.

With all that said, the 23mm seems like the universal suggestion. I happen to be in New York & Niagara Falls next week. So, I put in two offers on FredMiranda, and just locked down the X-T1 and 23mm for $1325 OTD. I figure I'll screw around with the 23mm - and I imagine I'll love it - and end up saving a few bucks. Worst case, I have a few months to resell and rebuy.

Thanks, all! I'll post some shots when I get back.

MickD

How do I mount a big telephoto lens? Will this tripod work? Do I just hold the camera? Any examples of how I would make this work? I also have a monopod.

Thank you for all the input, guys, I really appreciate it.

I had looked at sample picks on DPReview for both, and - to be honest - I still lean toward the 16mm. After looking at Flickr, I'm even more confident it fits with my style - and looks a lot like the stuff I used to take with my 24/2.8 on the 5D.

With all that said, the 23mm seems like the universal suggestion. I happen to be in New York & Niagara Falls next week. So, I put in two offers on FredMiranda, and just locked down the X-T1 and 23mm for $1325 OTD. I figure I'll screw around with the 23mm - and I imagine I'll love it - and end up saving a few bucks. Worst case, I have a few months to resell and rebuy.

Thanks, all! I'll post some shots when I get back.

iIrpmGz.jpg

What is this like 40K in camera gear in one picture?

oh man, that reminds me. When I worked for Ritz camera a few years back, Nikon and their reps would setup what we called the "Nikon Weekend" every fall in Park City Utah. It was a special event for Ritz employees and big time customers to demo pretty much the full range of equipment Nikon had on offer at the time. Between me, my friend and my brother we would check out tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear to use through out the day. Good times using cameras like the D3, PC-E lenses, and the 200mm F/2 (and many more).

Skel1ingt0n

oh man, that reminds me. When I worked for Ritz camera a few years back, Nikon and their reps would setup what we called the "Nikon Weekend" every fall in Park City Utah. It was a special event for Ritz employees and big time customers to demo pretty much the full range of equipment Nikon had on offer at the time. Between me, my friend and my brother we would check out tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear to use through out the day. Good times using cameras like the D3, PC-E lenses, and the 200mm F/2 (and many more).

Knowing a lens weighs ten pounds is one thing - trying to actually maneuver a foot long, ten pound piece of equipment is another thing entirely. I was more distracted about hitting stuff - a wall, a tree, a desk, the ground, that I didn't even enjoy my time with some 600mm lenses back in the day. I don't dare imagine what 800mm glass is like.

God damn I was hanging out at B&H's camera department and god damn I can't wait to get that Nikon 1.8G 85mm. They had it on a D750 and that thing is too good, same goes for the 750. Funny enough I was fucking around with some of the bridge cameras and those things feel like toys to me now. Menu system is damn confusing, I was like "where the hell is my iso button?" Oddly enough I used to be impressed with my old bridge camera and that was during the summer. Shit. Also find it really weird that I can talk cameras with the dude and make perfect sense.
Sounds like a low estimate.
70k then? That's just one expensive looking picture.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
your first estimate was closer. Those look like the 400f2.8's which are 10-12k, sure they are using the top of the line pro cameras which are 6-8k and then the 14-24 looking lens is *only* 2k. Probably 45k.

your first estimate was closer. Those look like the 400f2.8's which are 10-12k, sure they are using the top of the line pro cameras which are 6-8k and then the 14-24 looking lens is *only* 2k. Probably 45k.
I just realized the dude taking the pic is using both a Nikon and a Canon. How often do you see that? Glad to know that I wasn't that far off, I guess all the time I spend eyeballing gear is being soaked into my head.

Where the hell can you get counterweights for a shoulder rig??

I've been playing around with the rig the last few days and while it's kinda smooth, it needs a proper counterweight at the back to balance it out.

Right now, I've got my 3 pound monopod as the counterweight but obviously it's a little tall to hang out behind my back so I don't think it's a good setup. I'd probably need something like 4 pounds to get it balanced correctly.

John Blade

I've been playing around with the rig the last few days and while it's kinda smooth, it needs a proper counterweight at the back to balance it out.

Right now, I've got my 3 pound monopod as the counterweight but obviously it's a little tall to hang out behind my back so I don't think it's a good setup. I'd probably need something like 4 pounds to get it balanced correctly.

Just get lead weight from a dive shop or sporting good store.

Just get lead weight from a dive shop or sporting good store.

Lol dive shops don't exist here in the landlocked region of Dallas.

Even better, when I search for "lead weight" on the local sports stores all I get is ammunition haha.

I might just buy a 4 pound block of wood then drill a hole so I can screw it in the back handle. Amazon has some but $20 bucks for a piece of metal? I'm not even shooting a movie, I just need the shoulder rig so I can do some tracking shots for our next shoot.

FYI - A 4th edition of Understanding Exposure is coming in March.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the refurb A6000, so now I'll have a bunch of time with it before I get the book.

Flo_Evans

Does it have 15mm rods?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171M3CXG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have a redrock micro rig but they are ridiculously expensive... http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/microbalanceQR/

Does it have 15mm rods?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171M3CXG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have a redrock micro rig but they are ridiculously expensive... http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/microbalanceQR/

Holy fnck, $340 for a 4lb weight?!?!

Anyway, this is the rig I got: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMXQCZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

On the handle that's behind your back, there's a standard sized screw hole(whatever you call them), and that's where I mounted my monopod so I can actually just fabricate something to fit there or something like that.

I did test it out last night again and with my DSLR + heaviest lens(about 2.2lbs) I might actually need a 5lb weight because the thing just tilts down lol. I might actually just buy a 5lb kettleball and hang it from there haha.

On the other hand, I literally just got my hands on proDAD's Mercalli V3 so I'm gonna be playing around with that all day and evaluate what I need.

A friend was asking for camera suggestions, primarily for photography of toys she makes and travel. I figure she does not want something DSLR sized and likely would prefer something without interchangeable lenses but with manual controls, so any suggestions as to what cameras fit this criteria? Are the Sony RX100 models still good for this purpose, as I see the first model for $400 on amazon?

A friend was asking for camera suggestions, primarily for photography of toys she makes and travel. I figure she does not want something DSLR sized and likely would prefer something without interchangeable lenses but with manual controls, so any suggestions as to what cameras fit this criteria? Are the Sony RX100 models still good for this purpose, as I see the first model for $400 on amazon?

She may not get the sweet BOKEH but yes, the RX100 should be great.

snaffles

Thanks. Did the mark ii or iii come with image quality, focus speed, or exterior control upgrades that are worth the price?

They added wifi to the Mk II and III. The Mk III was the first one to include a viewfinder I think, so that would be the biggest consideration. Picture quality wise there isn't a huge difference between them all as far as I am aware. If you go with one of the newer ones the prices do start creeping up into the price range of micro four thirds cameras, which are also pretty great for the things you have described.

Kyaw

Any beginner tripod recommendations? Something under £100? I'm going to be travelling and needs something lightweight/compact for A6000 with normal-sized lenses. Main usage is probably gonna be night time star photography and long exposures generally.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.

Coolest evf is done in by the flash.

Any beginner tripod recommendations? Something under £100? I'm going to be travelling and needs something lightweight/compact for A6000 with normal-sized lenses. Main usage is probably gonna be night time star photography and long exposures generally.

Any of the Amazon basics tripods look good, not the all plastic ones. Aluminum ballhead, pistol grip or video head. Or the carbon fiber which comes in at 2.4 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=basics+tripod

Loci

Hey guys.
I wanna get some recommendations on buying a camera if you don't mind.

I will go abroad for a year starting in February and have basically never possessed a camera. Since I have no idea where to start I'm gonna ask here.

All I wanna do is take some nice pictures really. It doesn't have to be fancy or high end, I'm not gonna become a photographer over night.

1. What is your budget budget?
tops 200€
2. Main purpose of the camera?
Wanna take some pretty pictures while traveling
3. What form factor is most appealing to you?
as small as possible sounds good
4. Will you be investing in the camera? (buying more stuff for it later)
no
5. Any cameras you've used before or liked?
nothing

Just wondering if there is any go-to camera for amateurs who like to take a picture here and there.

thanks captive for redirecting me here.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hell yeah at Fuji's new 24MP sensor (produced by Sony) on the X-Pro2. That it's copper-based like the A7RII's sensor will allow for dramatic improvements in ISO noise and processing speed, despite the MP increase. Fuji's already demonstrated this with apparently showing off a high quality 12800 shot at their unveiling event. And weather-sealed and lots of focusing points. Nice work, Fuji. Not a whole lot else to ask for.

giga

Hell yeah at Fuji's new 24MP sensor (produced by Sony) on the X-Pro2. That it's copper-based like the A7RII's sensor will allow for dramatic improvements in ISO noise and processing speed, despite the MP increase. Fuji's already demonstrated this with apparently showing off a high quality 12800 shot at their unveiling event. And weather-sealed and lots of focusing points. Nice work, Fuji. Not a whole lot else to ask for.

they need to put it in the x100 body