• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

hitsugi

I was about to pull the trigger on the x100t when it was discounted over christmas but held off to see what the x200 (or whatever it will be called) brings this year.

That.. is the only issue I'm having. Right now a used x100t can be had for $850 or so.. but when the next iteration comes out it may drop even further.

HOWEVER... my a6000 body is dropping in value every day, so that's an issue as well.

n0razi

I think im the only Sony E-Mount user (NEX-5T) that uses exclusively the Zeiss 24mm and the Sony 35mm.. I just hate swapping lenses so I use the 24mm most of the time and the 35mm when doing subjects/portraits.... both those lenses are versatile enough on their own. All the other lenses are limiting in most situations... other primes are either too short or too long FL or the zooms are too slow or too expensive.

RuGalz

Did some weight and size comparison between my various work-horse lenses between X-Pro2 and my current K-3 setup. I was surprised to find while the body is smaller and lighter for Fuji, the lenses are the opposite which reduced the size/weight advantage.

70RjHRv.png

Whew! that definitely cured the GBA a bit. :p I'll still upgrade the X-M1 when X-Pro2 tech trickles down to cheaper bodies for that PDAF. I'm mostly using it with the 27mm for street and casual outing and occasionally paired with my Pentax 15mm.

Well already told my girlfriend I'm giving her my old Nikon Coolpix 530 cause I don't use it. I figured she'd train on it and I'd get her a dslr for her birthday. I know D90's are cheap, but I'm hoping the D5200 drops in price more come November.

RuGalz

Well Pentax has the lightest zooms. They are even lighter than Sigma and Tarmon zooms. Fuji's strength is at the prime lens.

Yea, Fuji's primes are nice, fast and have good color rendition. However, since I actually need to stop down for extra DOF most of the time, being fast doesn't really help me compared to my smaller, cheaper Pentax primes that also have beautiful color reproduction. Hence, in the end, I only kept the 27mm since I can't get something of that focal length, size, weight and quality with Pentax. I could have gone with a GR or X100 series but being able to update the body is much more flexible.

Radec

I think im the only Sony E-Mount user (NEX-5T) that uses exclusively the Zeiss 24mm and the Sony 35mm.. I just hate swapping lenses so I use the 24mm most of the time and the 35mm when doing subjects/portraits.... both those lenses are versatile enough on their own. All the other lenses are limiting in most situations... other primes are either too short or too long FL or the zooms are too slow or too expensive.

My a6000 only has the 35mm. It's perfect for me.

Do you all have any ideas where I can borrow some film equipment? I'd like to work on some shit of my own since I left school, but I am penniless at the moment.

MickD

Do you all have any ideas where I can borrow some film equipment? I'd like to work on some shit of my own since I left school, but I am penniless at the moment.

Unless you live in a super small town you could always rent gear at a daily rate. The rental places also ship too.I use a local place called MLD video, They usually require some type of insurance.

Aurongel

I have a 50 1.4 that I'll take, but I'd like to not have to swap lenses while touring around the park.

In that case the Canon 16-35mm f2.8 (or f4 with IS!) might not be a bad option as far as versatile wide angles go.

You sound like a smart man, that's a good lens duo to have on an APS-C system like the NEX line. Having a fast 35mm FF-equivalent lens for E-mount is a dream for me. So far though, only Zeiss is really making anything that fills that super usable range and even then their solution has a ~$1000 price tag on it.

Do you have a link to anything you've shot with the 24mm Zeiss? Users of that lens seem super rare online if Flickr is anything to go by.

Photogaf. Current Equip.

I shoot mostly video but do some portrait photography

7D
F2.8 40mm Canon Pancake
F3.5-5 18-135 Canon Kit Lense
F1.8 18-35mm Sigma Art.

I am getting almost 2k back in taxes.

do i buy a

Panasonic GH4 with a metabones
or a 70-200 2.8 Gen 1 Canon (the one with no IS)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
video people. I need some software to splice together some videos i took this morning. Doesnt have to be fancy, i just need to edit D800 videos and cell phone videos together.

snaffles

video people. I need some software to splice together some videos i took this morning. Doesnt have to be fancy, i just need to edit D800 videos and cell phone videos together.

You can do that with the editor on youtube, not sure how practical that is for you or not.

snaffles

never used it, does it give you the option to download the video when your done?

Yeah you can download your own videos from youtube in mp4 format. They have to be uploaded first obviously, which is what makes it impractical for me with rubbish Australian internet.

captive

I don't have a smart phone. I'm trying to do anything that can spur some money. I think I should at least to try and do something with the degree I have.

i mean, i have no idea what to tell you. You could have bought my Olympus EP2 for $25 bucks, its old but still takes photos, but i sold it. You have to have some money to get a camera, your going to be hard pressed to find someone to just let you use their camera for free, unless you have very trusting friends.

Maybe a library or a small museum might have something you can borrow? You could try calling some pro photographers in your area to see if they have any old gear they wouldn't miss.

Yeah you can download your own videos from youtube in mp4 format. They have to be uploaded first obviously, which is what makes it impractical for me with rubbish Australian internet.

Thanks, looks like Lightroom will let me export the videos in MP4 format so that may be the best bet. And you aint joking about slow Aussie internet, when i worked in IT for an aussie company they used to complain all the time that connecting to the US datacenters was slow. I'm like, what do you want, your internet connection is going through microwaves in the air.

LProtag

I tried a while ago to get into photography with a Nikon D40 but due to time restraints and just not feeling it at the time, I gave up and sold it.

I'm considering trying to get back into it but thinking maybe a smaller point and shoot would be more fun way. Something I could just carry around while I'm traveling to use.

The Fujifilm X series seem pretty great from what I've read about them, but what would be the best compromise between budget (I'm a beginning teacher so... it's a bit low) and the basic features I'd want as someone starting out learning how to take a proper photo? (something like the X30 seems to be the most appealing to me)

Is a point and shoot a better way to get into it rather than just buying a DSLR all over again?

captive

Best places to sell used gear?

i prefer craigslist. I've sold thousands on there of camera gear and non camera gear. Typically no hassle, no paypal fees or anything like that. Just meet them in a public place. I've never once even had the slightest concerns from a buyer during a buy.

I tried a while ago to get into photography with a Nikon D40 but due to time restraints and just not feeling it at the time, I gave up and sold it.

I'm considering trying to get back into it but thinking maybe a smaller point and shoot would be more fun way. Something I could just carry around while I'm traveling to use.

The Fujifilm X series seem pretty great from what I've read about them, but what would be the best compromise between budget (I'm a beginning teacher so... it's a bit low) and the basic features I'd want as someone starting out learning how to take a proper photo? (something like the X30 seems to be the most appealing to me)

Is a point and shoot a better way to get into it rather than just buying a DSLR all over again?
If you don't want to spend too much just get like a used D90 or something, they're not that expensive and if you get one that was taken care of well you have a decent enough dslr to learn from. You're not really going to learn too much from a simple point and shoot and unless you get a higher end Sony one like the RX100 series it won't even be a step up from you cellphone.

Herbs

Banned
Photogaf. Current Equip.

I shoot mostly video but do some portrait photography

7D
F2.8 40mm Canon Pancake
F3.5-5 18-135 Canon Kit Lense
F1.8 18-35mm Sigma Art.

I am getting almost 2k back in taxes.

do i buy a

Panasonic GH4 with a metabones
or a 70-200 2.8 Gen 1 Canon (the one with no IS)

go for something with better video options. keep the 7d for your photography needs.

How far in terms of price would I have to go to get one that's worth it?
Depending on where you go a Sony RX100 costs about 400 bucks, but that's just the older version. The new version 4, close to a grand. I think others on here could recommend something else though. It's just the only good point and shoot that I know of.

To start off, the biggest immediate improvement will come from one simple trick: point the flash at the cieling, not the subject. This isn't the only technique obviously, but it's the first step to having flash be useful.

The built-in flash can't help but look like garbage for anything other than fill— it is on-axis with the lens and it's small. Using a flash well typically means big light coming from not the same place as the lens.

Some websites:
On-camera: NeilVN.com
Off-camera: Strobist.com

Book: Light: Science and Magic

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into it as soon as I got time.

I would look for a used RX100 Mark I. Best bang for the buck, and lots of people are upgrading to newer models. I bought one for $200.

RuGalz

I was thinking only in terms of new price. If you can find an used, first gen RX100 for $200 that'd be a steal. For new prices, you are probably looking at 350 and up which starts to get into the DSLR territory so you will have to figure out if size is more important or if other things are.

LProtag

I'm also seeing that maybe a used X100 or X100S could be a good choice.

The thing with my relation to photography is that I want something I can just drop in a bag and have on me to take shots with. What I found having a DSLR when I was younger was that I only really took it out with me when my intention was to go out and take photos and grew quickly disappointed with what I was shooting and felt like I was wasting a bunch of time. Now that I have even less time in my life, I feel like being able to take photos easily while I happen to be out would be the best way to go.

I guess I can just take more photos with my phone for the time being and start a fund.

The thing with my relation to photography is that I want something I can just drop in a bag and have on me to take shots with. What I found having a DSLR when I was younger was that I only really took it out with me when my intention was to go out and take photos and grew quickly disappointed with what I was shooting and felt like I was wasting a bunch of time. Now that I have even less time in my life, I feel like being able to take photos easily while I happen to be out would be the best way to go.

I guess I can just take more photos with my phone for the time being and start a fund.
Sounds like you just want a camera that would do all of the work for you.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm currently running the Red Scarlet for most things (a c100 as well) and am the first in line for a Red Raven but am troubled as to whether I want to pull my deposit and move it to the Scarlet-Weapon or not.

Changing to the Scarlet-Weapon.

Goddam.

giga

No, I don't think that's it. I feel (mostly) the same way he/she does. I only take my dslr out when I really want to go out shooting, but never in everyday situations. That's exactly why I'm eyeing the x100t or its successor. It seems like the perfect choice for this dilemma.

LProtag

No? I'd just like something I could carry with me wherever and take photos on a lark or when inspiration hits that would still allow me to learn to move towards using aperture priority and manual more often.

I basically just want something that encourages me to have my camera on me more often than not, if that makes sense.

No? I'd just like something I could carry with me wherever and take photos on a lark or when inspiration hits that would still allow me to learn to move towards using aperture priority and manual more often.

I basically just want something that encourages me to have my camera on me more often than not, if that makes sense.

I'd go to a camera store and hold some cameras in your hand and see how they feel. I have my Sony a6000 (and my NEX-5) in my work bag every day because it's relatively light and compact. It's just with me whenever I need it to be.

I also second the comments about the Sony RX100. It's a small, powerful camera that is very well regarded.

You want a no-nonsense portable camera? Get a Ricoh GR, get an used or new one and start shooting.

Yes that makes more sense. I was more thrown off about the comment about you being disappointed by your shots when you get back. I too would like a smaller camera, but I got what I got and learned a lot using it so on that front I can't really complain too much. I mean in the beginning your going to take some crap pictures, shit you'll still take the occasional crap shot till you die, but it's definitely something you have to work at. Yeah just get whatever suits you and have fun.

LProtag

Yes that makes more sense. I was more thrown off about the comment about you being disappointed by your shots when you get back. I too would like a smaller camera, but I got what I got and learned a lot using it so on that front I can't really complain too much. I mean in the beginning your going to take some crap pictures, shit you'll still take the occasional crap shot till you die, but it's definitely something you have to work at. Yeah just get whatever suits you and have fun.

Sorry, that could be seen as a bit confusing. I was a bit disappointed with my shots and felt like my trips were wasted, because I only went to take shots. I feel like with a more portable camera I could take it along with a hike, or a trip to the city, and take shots while still doing other things.

Sorry, that could be seen as a bit confusing. I was a bit disappointed with my shots and felt like my trips were wasted, because I only went to take shots. I feel like with a more portable camera I could take it along with a hike, or a trip to the city, and take shots while still doing other things.
With that being the case you should take the camera out as much as possible. Should've practiced more before you even went on the trips. Just always keep your expectations in check, be willing to learn and have fun.

Herbs

Banned

go for the x100.

LProtag

With that being the case you should take the camera out as much as possible. Should've practiced more before you even went on the trips. Just always keep your expectations in check, be willing to learn and have fun.

I know. Kind of a dumb kid at the time. Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to jot down a couple of these suggestions and start putting aside some money. Not going to pull the trigger just yet, unless a really great deal comes up on something I've got my eye on.

I know. Kind of a dumb kid at the time. Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to jot down a couple of these suggestions and start putting aside some money. Not going to pull the trigger just yet, unless a really great deal comes up on something I've got my eye on.
Yeah it just requires some patience but improving is part of the fun and agony. I swear my first thousand shots were utter dog shit looking at the old ones now. I've gotten more consistent and even still I'm not perfect. Luckily there are plenty of videos and tutorials you can watch and learn off of. Don't think of it as time wasted, it's more like level grinding than anything else.

tirant

Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading from my old point-and-shoot to a mirrorless one.

I can get the Fujifilm x-pro1 for around 450€ and the Sony Alpha 6000 for 500€ and the Alpha 5000 with SEL-1650 for 326€.

My purpose with the camera is to pick up when I left photography more than 15 years ago with my old Olympus SLR.

Video is secondary. I'd like to focus on landscapes, people portraits and day-to-day activities. Sports are also secondary.

How annoying is it to move filters across lenses?

I see that I can get a full spectrum modded A7s, which would be *awesome*, but I'd have to use a IR/UV filter on all of my lenses, and at $50 a pop, I... really don't wanna buy more than two.