• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #147 - "The Garden Path"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "The Garden Path"

Literal, idiomatic, as you like it.

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Friday, July 11th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, July 12th, and goes until Monday, July 14th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Both deadlines will have a grace period through the following morning when the story list is compiled and/or the votes are counted, but it is advised that you submit on time.

Optional Secondary Objective: Poetry Corner

The objective here is not to write a poem for this challenge, but to also participate in the currently running Poetry Corner thread. By a startling coincidence, the theme is the same! The objective here is to write a poem for that thread which relates to the story you write for this thread. It could be a song or poem from the world you're writing in, it could be an alternate take on your story, or it could simply explore similar themes. (Poetry is hard, yes. It's a different skill from prose writing. But working at it and trying to write it well can be hugely helpful to your prose writing skills.)

Please note that the deadline for the poetry thread is this coming Saturday.

Submission Guidelines:
- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Cyan

Banned
I couldn't resist fiddling with--recasting, really--the deadlines again, but they're effectively the same as they have been the last few challenges.

Also note the slightly higher word limit this time around.

sqwarlock

Posting to say I might be doing this one. I'm moving to California tomorrow though, so I may not be able to do the secondary objective in time.

Nezumi

I was gonna participate in the poetry thread anyway, so the secondary shouldn't be that much of a problem :)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
streams_wide-590x244.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
A family has an unexpected encounter on the way to dinner at Olive Garden

The serpent of the garden of Eden pleads his case

Something something lawn gnomes

Fuck it, I'll just write something with Deep Thinking Goat again.

Newcomer to these challenges... I've always seen these threads for a long time but never participated :eek: Might give it a shot this time.

I've got a fantasy-genre idea boiling in my head right now, I hope it turns out well.

I have a setting sketched out in my mind and some very rough character outlines. Now all I need to do is think of a plot.

Mike M

Nick N
I have like... six things I want to entitle this as.

Maybe I'll break it out into subsections with their own titles...

First draft and nearly 200 words over the limit. I haven't been this much over in ages! Exciting! Cutting extraneous words is going to be a bitch and a half considering my central premise. Grrrrrrrr....

Cyan

Banned
Got damn you guys are fast. O_O

Mike, sounds like you have some extra words to donate to a poem!

Mike M

Nick N
If it makes you all feel better, my story drifted pretty far from the initial seed of an idea and now the theme isn't even remotely apparent anymore.

Something something the idea wandered down the garden path of my mind and out the gate something something.

Cyan

Banned
Those of you who are fans of Writing Excuses might like this: http://brandonsanderson.com/introducing-the-writing-excuses-anthology/

They've talked about this anthology on the podcast for a while. The concept was for each of the four casters to brainstorm, write, get critique on, and then polish up a short story or novella. The anthology includes the final stories along with the initial drafts, transcripts of the brainstorming and critique sessions, and some further thoughts and notes on process.

The brainstorming sessions were all done on the podcast sometime last year or the year before, I don't recall. They recorded two of the critique sessions at the retreat I went to last year (and we got to read the early drafts of those stories), which was super interesting, but I'm pretty sure those haven't made it into an episode yet. I think the idea was to wait until the anthology was released, so we'll probably see them soon.

Anyway. While I haven't read through this book yet, I can tell you that the pieces I've already seen were very cool and interesting.

Mike M

Nick N
Those of you who are fans of Writing Excuses might like this: http://brandonsanderson.com/introducing-the-writing-excuses-anthology/

They've talked about this anthology on the podcast for a while. The concept was for each of the four casters to brainstorm, write, get critique on, and then polish up a short story or novella. The anthology includes the final stories along with the initial drafts, transcripts of the brainstorming and critique sessions, and some further thoughts and notes on process.

The brainstorming sessions were all done on the podcast sometime last year or the year before, I don't recall. They recorded two of the critique sessions at the retreat I went to last year (and we got to read the early drafts of those stories), which was super interesting, but I'm pretty sure those haven't made it into an episode yet. I think the idea was to wait until the anthology was released, so we'll probably see them soon.

Anyway. While I haven't read through this book yet, I can tell you that the pieces I've already seen were very cool and interesting.
Writing Excuses is ridiculously good, nothing even comes close. It pains me that their podcasts are only <20 min a week. Pains me.

Super tempted to get this, as I retain my drafts with my markups until I post my final entry each competition. I brought it to my writing group one just as a sharing of our individual processes and they were kind of dumbfounded how much I tear things apart (anyone who's been the recipient of my in depth comments know how I am with it). Really interested to see how first drafts look for published authors. It may either I've me hope, or crush my dreams.

Only 43 words over the limit for this latest entry as of my second draft today. This a gonna be cut to the bone by the time I'm done...

Nezumi

No matter how much I wreck my brain I just don't have any ideas neither for the poetry thread not for this one :/

Edit: Had a hatchling of an idea for the poetry thread... Now I only have to worry about how to use it for a story for this one.

Cyan

Banned

Speaking of which: first half of critique session for Brandon's story now up.

Aaron

A Harsh Whisper in a Storm
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61429030/Harsh Whisper.pdf

password:
neogaf

Missed the previous challenges due to the intense labor of shopping for a new car. All the researching, the youtube video watching, and the test driving... lord preserve me from driving the same route half a dozen times in one day with vehicles I dare not scratch. Even making the deal wasn't as bad as that.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
A Harsh Whisper in a Storm
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61429030/Harsh Whisper.pdf

password:
neogaf

Missed the previous challenges due to the intense labor of shopping for a new car. All the researching, the youtube video watching, and the test driving... lord preserve me from driving the same route half a dozen times in one day with vehicles I dare not scratch. Even making the deal wasn't as bad as that.

Seriously, I've been looking like crazy for any password option in dropbox – how the hell do you guys do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom