• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #89: Life in Comics/Between the Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
I was asked how I export pdf files, and password protect them, and I thought I might as well post it here, just in case somebody else wants to read it.

First off, I use pdfs, because pdfs are platform agnostic, so universal in that regard. Second, I use dropbox, because it's so easy, to put and remove entries. All one has to do is place your file in the public folder part of dropbox, then right click, and copy the link, before pasting here. Read the dropbox help file if you want; but its really easy.

Creating password protected pdfs:

Open office/ Libre Office- file-export as pdf. Security is the last tab to the right. And the set password option is there. Export when ready. Job done.

Cyan

Banned
Objects in Mirror Are Closer than they Appear (1100)

I don't do much soul searching. It makes me itch. And I always get the feeling if I gaze too long into my own soul, something cold and dank and primeval will gaze back. Something wrong.

Truth, justice, and the American way, right? It's a bullshit marketing slogan, is what it is. My publicist, Gary, came up with it a few years back when the tabloids were on my ass. Turned things around in a heartbeat, but it's grade-A crap.

It was that last bit that did it. People think they believe in truth and justice, but that's horseshit. Truth and justice are what people claim to believe in so they can look good in front of other people. Or, sometimes, themselves.

What people really believe in, when it comes down to it, is tribalism.

I killed my first man when I was fourteen.

http://tinypaste.com/bf26e2f2 (pw: neogaf)

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Davedough - Reluctant Hero (1,556 words)

Ashes1396 - Digital Pulp Fiction - password: neogaf

Ward - Wardworks presents: Executive Session

Bootaaay - The Electric Man (1,898 words)

Tangent - Holding on to the Past (1,422 words)

RDreamer - Finding Superman (1,993 words)

Alfarif - Scratch (1,462 words)

Sober - The Masked Maverick's Day Off (1,992 words)

Tim the Wiz - Pedigree

Puddles - Mellow Mountain

Cyan - Objects in Mirror Are Closer than they Appear (1,100 words) - password: neogaf

Somebody else is probably going to have to tally up the votes since I kind of suck at math. ;P

Tangent

Creating password protected pdfs: Open office/ Libre Office- file-export as pdf. Security is the last tab to the right. And the set password option is there. Export when ready. Job done.

This is good stuff. I get it: pswd protect in the PDF itself rather than in dropbox. Great idea. Thanks!

Alfarif

Wow, there were so many good stories this time around...

1. Tangent - This had me CRACKING UP, even if you didn't intend it. This was the kind of stuff I was hoping would come out. Bravo.
2. RDreamer - Loved this story. It just felt... right.
3. Cyan - Such great visuals. It felt like sitting and having a drink with a guy who recounts his stories and you're just enthralled.

HM:

Tim the Wiz - this is going to stick with me like all of your stories do. I'll probably end up having a damn dream about this.

Sober - The conversation in the car was perfect. It was like a wink, wink, nudge at movies and comic books and the way dialogue unfolds in those mediums. The only issue I had was that it got a little hard to figure out who was saying what near the tail end of the story.

Comments, sorry if they get repetitive...it's 4AM and my brain's turning to mush;

Davedough - good opening and I liked the twist with the newspaper headline.

Ashes1396 - awesome and unique presentation containing the usual excellent standard of writing I've come to expect from an Ashes piece. I especially liked 1 & 5, although if there was a connection between the pieces at all, it went over my head.

Ward - good dialogue, you drew me in to the scene well, but it needs an ending.

Bootaaay - I don't ever like how you write dialogue, it seems forced and unnatural. Also, the change of Frank's mental state during the final scene seemed too abrubt.

Tangent - not much to say about this, other than it's very well written and a really clever idea.

RDreamer - I really liked this, there was good tension in Frank telling his story, and although I liked the way you went about the ending, it felt slightly abrubt. 'hell-hole of a city' and 'you don't know what I've seen' felt a bit cliched too, but in general the dialogue well written.

Alfarif - this is so well written, I loved the way you introduced Milo and kept the tension up throughout.

Sober - this was a fun read. The dialogue was a bit confused at first, but was generally well written, although I felt the matter-of-factness worked against it in places.

Tim the Wiz - just an exceptionally well written piece, powerful and engaging throughout.

Puddles - beautifully written, it has a very warm, wistful tone throughout that I liked and felt fit perfectly with the story you were telling.

Cyan - good take on the theme, and I enjoyed the gut-punch of an ending.

01. Puddles
02. Tim the Wiz
03. RDreamer

HM; Ashes1396, Tangent, Alfarif

Puddles

Banned
So much good stuff in this challenge. My votes will probably come at the last minute.

Edit: won't comment until voting is done.

RDreamer

1. Bootaaay
2. Cyan
3. Tim the Wiz

Great work by pretty much everyone. Hard to choose an absolute winner. I think honestly I preferred the writing styles of Cyan and Tim the Wiz just a tiny hair better, but Bootaaay won me over with the cool idea of having a super hero work for the mob in order to get protection. I'm an ideas man, and I think that's just cool. His writing was pretty great, too, though. Really great and inspiring writing all around.

RDreamer - I really liked this, there was good tension in Frank telling his story, and although I liked the way you went about the ending, it felt slightly abrubt. 'hell-hole of a city' and 'you don't know what I've seen' felt a bit cliched too, but in general the dialogue well written.

Yeah, the ending was definitely abrupt. It'd probably have been much better if I hadn't found this thread literally an hour before submitting the story. I'm also not used to doing short stories like this anymore. I've only written novels lately. So I had that ending in mind right away, but I couldn't edit things so that it came a bit more smoothly. And yeah, some of the dialogue is a bit cliched. Part of that is just that I had absolutely no editing. What you saw was what I wrote down right away. I was also struggling with whether to make Frank just a drunken asshole or someone who really was trying to do something good. I think if given a novel length he'd probably start out noble and continually spiral downward until he was literally nothing but a drunken and drugged up asshole. Meanwhile, if given a novel's length, I think Gavin would catch his break and slowly go upward in the world, while still having the ghost of reality haunt him in the form of Frank.

Cyan

Banned
1. Tim the Wiz - "Pedigree"
2. Ashes1396 - "Digital Pulp Fiction"
3. RDreamer - "Finding Superman"
HM: Tangent, Bootaaay

Puddles

Banned
Davedough (Reluctant Hero) - I really enjoyed the comic book take on this theme. I could really feel the hero's frustration when the "twist" occurred. I thought it was all wrapped up a bit too neatly at the end, but I'd guess that was a time-constraint issue.

Ashes (Digital Pulp Fiction) - Probably some of the best prose in this challenge. I'm not sure I got the connections between each of the individual pieces.

Ward (Executive Season) - I thought this was an interesting idea, and I liked the idea for the florist character who would be featured in the video. Is there a reason you used baseball player names?

Bootaaay (The Electric Man) - This is a really good concept, and your action scenes are top notch. Lots of telling and not enough showing, but I think this could definitely work as something bigger.

Tangent (Holding on to the Past) - This was awesome, albeit a little abrupt at times. It could have benefited from a few extra sentences here and there to flesh out a description or make a smoother transition between scenes.

RDreamer (Finding Superman) - This was a very well-written piece. A look at how our heroes are all flawed humans, and the idealized superhero can never really exist. Some of the best comics also explore this idea. I like how you explore the idea of creating an idealized figure out of the best parts of a very disturbed individual.

Alfarif (Scratch) - Damn! This was one very effectively creepy piece. I loved the resolution. It was just as long as it needed to be. You did a good job evoking the overall mood. Well done.

Sober (The Masked Maverick's Day Off) - I definitely laughed a lot. Really great dialogue, and it was just really damn funny.

Tim the Wiz (Pedigree) - I think this is the best-written of all the stories, and it works very well as a self-contained piece. The flashbacks were great. The amorality of the Nazi officer was established very well through his internal dialogue, and he really worked as a character. I almost felt bad for him, which is the sign of good writing. The action scene with the knife was great. The line about shit intruded on the lovers' embrace was quite visceral, both literally and figuratively.

Cyan (Objects in Mirror Are Closer than they Appear) - I think this one really needs to become something more, because it felt like a great first chapter. As a stand-alone story, it was also pretty damn good. I loved how it went right into "I killed my first man when I was sixteen." That was a flawless transition. Great prose, great internal monologue.

1. Tim the Wiz
2. Cyan
3. Alfarif

HM: probably all of them.

Tangent

Gotta go sleep for 4.5 hrs, so I'll try to post up crits later!

Votes:
1. Puddles
2. Alfarif
3. Cyan
HM: RDreamer... btw, all of these were very fun to read... I could put everyone here for HM. It was really neat how everyone took fascinating and thought-provoking interpretations of the prompt. Bravo!

Puddles

Banned
Puddles - beautifully written, it has a very warm, wistful tone throughout that I liked and felt fit perfectly with the story you were telling.

Glad you liked it!

Did you (or anyone else) get the idea that there was something going on that dramatically affected the dialogue and the way the narrator described things? I tried to hint at it without coming out and saying it.

Sober

Comments in the morning! (or afternoon if I ever get up)

1. Puddles
2. RDreamer
3. Davedough
HMs: Pretty much everyone really; I thought there were some pretty interesting interpretations of the topic from everyone involved.

Yeah, the ending was definitely abrupt. It'd probably have been much better if I hadn't found this thread literally an hour before submitting the story. I'm also not used to doing short stories like this anymore. I've only written novels lately. So I had that ending in mind right away, but I couldn't edit things so that it came a bit more smoothly. And yeah, some of the dialogue is a bit cliched. Part of that is just that I had absolutely no editing. What you saw was what I wrote down right away. I was also struggling with whether to make Frank just a drunken asshole or someone who really was trying to do something good. I think if given a novel length he'd probably start out noble and continually spiral downward until he was literally nothing but a drunken and drugged up asshole. Meanwhile, if given a novel's length, I think Gavin would catch his break and slowly go upward in the world, while still having the ghost of reality haunt him in the form of Frank.
Personally I think it worked out fine. I don't have much experience writing short stories (or fiction for that matter) but as far as I could tell whatever else you could've added would mostly just add some more nuance to your characters. Maybe it's just me but most of the time I write too much superfluous stuff (things that might work in a longer form but don't do so well when needing to be concise) and I end up editing it out because I need to make room to write a proper ending.

Cyan

Banned
Glad you liked it!

Did you (or anyone else) get the idea that there was something going on that dramatically affected the dialogue and the way the narrator described things? I tried to hint at it without coming out and saying it.

What, that they're all
high as kites
? Seemed pretty clear to me. ;)

Ashes

Banned
I've had two hours sleep over the last 48 hours, so I guess, I'm in no real state to read. My sincerest apologies, but if it is any consolation, I do read over the week, just cause... So I'll absolutely read the entries this week.

Very good stuff Ashes, but I'm a bit confused. Was that 5 submissions for the challenge, to be rated individually?

I don't know how I missed this, but I did, and though it is a futile now, I shall still answer it. At first I had this story, that I was going to enter, as part of this Digital magazine. And in the editorial, it was going to be a sad affair criticising the state of short stories, and the woeful treatment here in the UK.

Then I thought, okay, I'll need other stuff to fill in the background- its pointless to have a one story magazine; but I'll be clear in that the show piece was going to be my actual entry. It'll be challenging I thought, to write up a couple of other stories.

Then, I suppose, I made the error of having fun, which made the whole thing super easy. The challenging part went out the window; so I thought fuck it, I'll enter the whole damn thing as one thing. Why not? We're allowed one entry, not one story... right? :p

Anyway, this here is news regarding Costa adding a short story category to its books prizes. And here is a piece, close to my own thoughts on the matter, which basically confirms that although, they have a short story category now, it won't compete in the overall Costa Book of the year, like the other awards - First Novel, Novel, Biography, Poetry and Children’s Book - ; because they are awarding it to single stories, rather then collections.

tldr, thought I had plans, threw them out the window; was supposed to be challenging, but it turned out to be fun, so made the whole task easy; everything just fit, and there's a new short story category in the Costa Book of the year award.

Ashes1396 - awesome and unique presentation containing the usual excellent standard of writing I've come to expect from an Ashes piece. I especially liked 1 & 5, although if there was a connection between the pieces at all, it went over my head.

Cheers Bootaaay; Just to add to the above, in the interest of laying it out the table, the first story, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is something I have been working on for a couple of months. To reiterate, that is the only piece that had been worked on outside the period.

Good luck Guys and Gals.

Cyan

Banned
Inspired by Ashes from last time around, I'm doing slightly more in-depth critiques this time. I'm going to split them into positives, negatives, and the single thing that I think would most improve the story.

Davedough - "Reluctant Hero"
+
Solid arc from beginning to end.
The superhero is an interesting character, with the resentment of his role and wanting it to be exposed as a fraud a cool element you don't usually see.
Neo-G is an awesome name for a superhero. ;)
-
Some needless telling. e.g. "he has become jaded because..." That becomes clear through the story; there's no need to tell us straight out.
The talking to himself feels wrong. Feels more like he's talking to us.
I'd like a stronger hook at the beginning. The main conflict is hinted at, but I'd like it a little more clear!

Single thing that would most improve the story:
We've got this great conflict here, with the hero who doesn't want to do it becuase it's onerous and because he's disgusted by the adulation. Show us some of that! Maybe the initial scene could've been something he found tedious and kind of ridiculous, or maybe it could've featured a ridiculously effusive fan. Find a way to make us really feel what he feels.

Ashes1396 - "Digital Pulp Fiction"
+
Awesome and creative take on the theme.
You focus here on one of your greatest strengths: relationships between people. Great choice.
The different angles, the different takes on your central theme are cool to watch.
-
Parts 1 and 5 are crying out for some trimming.
Part 2 is the weakest, and seems almost unnecessary. Not sure what it really adds. (wait, was this for the secondary objective?)

Single thing:
If there's something tying these together beyond the central theme of relationships, I'm not sure what it is. Might be I'm missing something obvious, or it might need a little more explication. If there isn't something tying them together... there should be!

Ward - "Wardworks presents: Executive Session"
+
Snappy dialogue, as always.
Exaggeration examples were great, would've liked to see more of those.
The whole thing feels totally real. I know some people like this. :)
-
Some confusing bits. Answering the phone threw me off with the conversation shift.
The conflict hook doesn't happen until the end. Whyyyyyy?
No ending?

Single thing:
Sort of following along from the minuses up there, I think this story might be better off shifted in time. The real story here is about to happen--what happens to our hero after he loses his main actor? Unless this is the opening for a much longer story, in which case you could probably get away with that much setup. But if not, you'd likely be better shifting so the ending is the new beginning.

Bootaaay - "The Electric Man"
+
Your talent for visceral description shines through again.
Someone else mentioned this, but awesome idea. Superhero as mob enforcer, who woulda thought... Bootaaay, apparently. ;)
Love that the interstitials are actually important to the story!
-
Final segment needed some work. Just didn't match the strength of the jewelry shop segment.
A bit much exposition at the start. Try sprinkling it in around the segment, rather than bunching it all up.
The ending could use a wee bit more punch. This is actually an easy fix: cut "Frank thought darkly", and give "his fingers sparked with charge" its own paragraph.

Single thing:
We don't get to really see a build from simple enforcing to outright murder. We hear the MC claim that he has no experience killing, but then it's right into killing fools left and right. There's no doubt, no disgust, he just kinda does it. This leaves the self-argument at the end ringing hollow--he has no inner voice telling him not to do it, so the argument can only have one conclusion.

Tangent - "Holding on to the Past"
+
The first sentence is about Smokey the Bear making a profile on a dating website. Do I need to say more?
Smokey's clinging to the past is great and totally rings true.
Surprisingly sweet moment when the girl turns out to be a former dancing bear.
"She gave him a bear hug."
-
We don't get to hear about any of Smokey's other responses? What made him settle on this girl?
A few redundancies. Like when Woodsy says that groovy is out, you can leave it at that. It's clear Smokey ain't quite with the times. Or Cassandra's laugh being mocking when she says "are you kidding?" Or, "Cassandra tried to reason with him." Might consider some trimming.

Single thing:
The conflict isn't introduced until halfway through the story. I don't think you need to timeshift or anything, but maybe introduce the problem earlier. You mention Smokey's lower profile earlier, maybe you could mention his efforts to make a comeback, or mention growing problems with people being more careless than they once were, or that sort of thing. As is, it sort of just appears halfway in.

Whew... the rest later.

Ashes

Banned
Inspired by Ashes from last time around, I'm doing slightly more in-depth critiques this time. I'm going to split them into positives, negatives, and the single thing that I think would most improve the story.

Ashes1396 - "Digital Pulp Fiction"
+
Awesome and creative take on the theme.
You focus here on one of your greatest strengths: relationships between people. Great choice.
The different angles, the different takes on your central theme are cool to watch.
-
Parts 1 and 5 are crying out for some trimming.
Part 2 is the weakest, and seems almost unnecessary. Not sure what it really adds. (wait, was this for the secondary objective?)

Single thing:
If there's something tying these together beyond the central theme of relationships, I'm not sure what it is. Might be I'm missing something obvious, or it might need a little more explication. If there isn't something tying them together... there should be!

er. I've changed my mind, in the last sixty seconds, I've read all the stories, my votes goes to

1. Cyan

And that's it. :p Critiques like that mean that you've really attempted to engage with the story. And that's the job of the reviewer, no?

There is absolutely a link between all the stories, and all the comics. Someone pmed me asking me for an explanation of the comics, and the only thing I said was regarding the sofa in front of the TV. I don't really want to explain stuff anymore / these days. Sorry If that's lazy... ;P

I say now, that once it's left the authors/artist's hand, It takes up and lives and dies in other people's minds. Interpret it as you wish, or go to sleep, never to worry about it ever again. It's all cool. This story is probably more illegal an entry then legal, I reckon.

Davedough

Congrats Tim.

Thanks for the comments guys. It really helps in areas that I already thought were weak but didn't know how to fix. Its good to know that I'm not the only one that saw where my flaws were, it helps to have them pointed out so eloquently.

Ashes

Banned
Congrats Tim.

Thanks for the comments guys. It really helps in areas that I already thought were weak but didn't know how to fix. Its good to know that I'm not the only one that saw where my flaws were, it helps to have them pointed out so eloquently.

Glad we writer gaf could help. :p

We be chilling at the bottom of the board - like a boss¬! ;)

RDreamer

Congrats to Tim the Wiz. Definitely deserved. Absolutely love your writing style. The way you describe things is inspiring, and it's where I wish I could go with my own writing. I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

RDreamer (Finding Superman) - This was a very well-written piece. A look at how our heroes are all flawed humans, and the idealized superhero can never really exist. Some of the best comics also explore this idea. I like how you explore the idea of creating an idealized figure out of the best parts of a very disturbed individual.

Yeah, this is really what I was going for, and I have really wanted to tackle that idea since reading Watchmen. I felt like that touched on the subject probably best of any comic book, but I feel like there's still more to say on the subject. I also wanted to say something about writers and artists and how they can take someone that's depraved and extract something from them that almost seems foreign afterwards.

Personally I think it worked out fine. I don't have much experience writing short stories (or fiction for that matter) but as far as I could tell whatever else you could've added would mostly just add some more nuance to your characters. Maybe it's just me but most of the time I write too much superfluous stuff (things that might work in a longer form but don't do so well when needing to be concise) and I end up editing it out because I need to make room to write a proper ending.

My writing is usually pretty barebones when I first write it down. It's pretty much just the basics of what need to be said. I usually have to make a few passes to add in more detail and to smooth things out a bit.

Cyan

Banned
er. I've changed my mind, in the last sixty seconds, I've read all the stories, my votes goes to

1. Cyan

And that's it. :p Critiques like that mean that you've really attempted to engage with the story. And that's the job of the reviewer, no?
I like your new voting style, Mike Works! :p

I say now, that once it's left the authors/artist's hand, It takes up and lives and dies in other people's minds.
Well isn't that convenient?

Nah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I want to explain things, but usually I feel like I should let what I write stand on its own.

Ashes

Banned
I like your new voting style, Mike Works! :p

Well isn't that convenient?

Nah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I want to explain things, but usually I feel like I should let what I write stand on its own.

I've always thought it a cop out not to explain things and questioned how deliberate works are, even back in the day, when I was studying this stuff; and I've explained my stories lots of time in these threads before; but reading up on critiquing, reviewing etc, I've come round recently. Just let it be, I reckon. Sometimes people interpret it beautifully - far exceeding my own skill to explain. ;)

Its a good train read, my friend said, so I'm happy this week. Woot! she's so hard to please. lol!

Some awesome entries this week. Really good stuff.

Alfarif

Cyan... this might sound weird and maybe, just maybe, I shoudl actually know this but... what do the numbers in parantheses mean?

Puddles

Banned
Cyan... this might sound weird and maybe, just maybe, I shoudl actually know this but... what do the numbers in parantheses mean?

First place votes.

Incidentally, this is the second or third time I've gotten the most first place votes, but finished second overall. Not even mad though; I would have felt bad winning over Tim's piece, which I think was much more fully-realized than mine.

Cyan

Banned
First place votes.
Ayup! First place votes serve as the primary tie-breaker, so I like to have a count of those included in the final tally. Also, it can be interesting.

Incidentally, this is the second or third time I've gotten the most first place votes, but finished second overall. Not even mad though; I would have felt bad winning over Tim's piece, which I think was much more fully-realized than mine.
It happens! I take it to mean that the people who enjoyed your story really loved it, but there were fewer of them.

Puddles

Banned
Oh, and in response to your response to my earlier question, yeah, all the characters were tripping. There's this place on Koh Phangan, Thailand called Mellow Mountain which somehow can openly sell mushroom shakes, even though drugs are highly illegal in Thailand (I think they pay a lot of bribe money). I was there last year with a few friends who I had met in a hostel. We had the most amazing experience, and the whole thing somehow felt very spiritual and introspective to me. I tried to capture what it felt like, but of course you can never really describe something like that, which tied into the theme (my "panels" were the travel photos).

Cyan

Banned
For future reference, generally when the winner is unable or doesn't want to make the new thread, the privilege falls to the second place person.

No big deal, just... next time. ;)

Cyan

Banned
And the latter half! Again, I'm hitting positives, negatives, and the one thing that I think would most improve each story.

RDreamer - "Finding Superman"
+
Frank is a great character. Colorful and interesting.
I like the ambiguity of Frank--how it's not clear if he's making things up, how he's sort of heroic but also just out looking for trouble.
Good concept, with the guy sort of stealing his friend's stories and making what he can of them.
-
Hearing Frank's backstory almost takes away more than it adds... I'd kind of prefer him to remain mysterious. Or maybe have it dolloped out instead of just stated outright.
The opening is really confusing. Probably because of lack of editing time. Events are out of order and chatoic.
Gavin's backstory, too, was a bit much. In this case, simply because it was in one big lump, not because he's better off mysterious.

One thing:
The ending. It's a great concept, but it's just so bald, so two-by-four, that the impact is weakened. I want something subtler. Let the reader figure out what's going on. Let us have that moment of "Oh! He's basing his comics on his friend Frank!" rather than just stating it outright.

Alfarif - "Scratch"
+
Well written. This is a really smooth read.
The single-minded mania comes off as quite believable.
Great final line/paragraph.
-
That whole aside with Milo... what? It was hilarious as a throw-away gotcha joke, but it totally broke the reality of the story. We suddenly move from regular modern-day suburbia to some kind of scifi thing, purely for that one joke. While it's a funny joke, it isn't worth the broken verisimilitude.

One thing:
Rhyme or reason--I want the ending to have it! As it is, it's just a giant head-scratcher (hey-o!). Where did the scratches come from? Why? Was the thing at the end what made them? If so, what was its purpose? Why does it tell the MC in advance that it's going to eat him or whatever?

I think the problem here is the mixing of two ending twists in such a way that both are robbed of their impact. One twist is the drawings themselves--oh how creepy, he's got a stalker or something, etc etc. The other twist is the final drawing--here's a record of his life, and look, the very last one represents... this exact moment, in which he's about to die! Either twist would be totally fine on its own, but together they raise too many questions for this slender story to support.

Sober - "The Masked Maverick's Day Off"
+
Hilarious premise.
Love the ridiculous script, as well as the unscripted bit in the car.
Of course the secret lair is behind a bookcase that swings open!
-
Dialogue could use some sharpening. My favorite trick is to read it out loud and see how it falls on the ear.
The bit with the school bully doesn't quite mesh with the tone of the rest of the piece.
They've been together three years and she's only now figuring it out?

One thing:
I understand that this is meant to be light-hearted, but I think it could use some raising of the stakes. The central issue is Masked Maverick wanting to just get a break, and not being able to. But maybe make it more difficult. Have him getting phone calls from Great Gentleman from the start. Make his girlfriend singularly fixated on this date being perfect, so he has to nail the script. Make the guy in the basement be ill, or the MC forgot to feed him for days, or something. Amp it all up!

Tim the Wiz - "Pedigree"
+
The "insular farmers" feeling percolates through the whole story. Great atmosphere.
Goddamnit, you made me feel sympathy for an unrepentant Nazi.
Feels nicely historically grounded.
Plus more than I want to list, you did a lot well in this story.
-
Got really confused because it seemed like they arrived in a random village, and yet it was her home village? Seems like a real stretch of a coincidence. Also, given how he got her, he should've known where she was from.
The structure is confusing. I'm... not sure if I'd recommend changing it or not, because it's effective. It's just also confusing. ;)

One thing:
This might sound counterintuitive, but I'd drop the line about the camp where they kill Jews. Too, too on the nose. That's something that belongs in the subtext, unspoken, where it burrows deeper and burns hotter. (you got it right by never actually using the word "Nazi"; this is along the same lines)

On second thought though, maybe don't drop the line altogether but simply alter it so it's more subtle. "The camp? Where the trains from the ghettos go?" Something like that. That version doesn't quite work, but you get the idea.

Puddles - "Mellow Mountain"
+
Awesome descriptive work.
I like that you were somewhat subtle about the... state of the group of friends. The only real hand-tip was the title.
"Just yesterday I wondered if I should even hold her hand." Great line, captures a lot in a few words.
-
After all that nice subtlety, the ending is too on the nose regarding how the piece fits the theme.
I feel like there was one character too many. Could John and Bert have been combined? Four is a lot of central characters for such a short piece.

One thing:
"Motion is everything." There's really no motion in this piece, aside from the aforementioned line about holding hands. And that movement really only takes place within that single line. You don't necessarily need to add a big conflict or a story arc or anything to this piece--in fact, that would probably break it.

But some kind of motion. They were seeking an awakening. Why? From what? Answer that, and you should be able to inject a subtle movement to the piece, complementary to the rhythm and music, like a dancing pyromancer.

Alfarif

Alfarif - "Scratch"
+
Well written. This is a really smooth read.
The single-minded mania comes off as quite believable.
Great final line/paragraph.
-
That whole aside with Milo... what? It was hilarious as a throw-away gotcha joke, but it totally broke the reality of the story. We suddenly move from regular modern-day suburbia to some kind of scifi thing, purely for that one joke. While it's a funny joke, it isn't worth the broken verisimilitude.

One thing:
Rhyme or reason--I want the ending to have it! As it is, it's just a giant head-scratcher (hey-o!). Where did the scratches come from? Why? Was the thing at the end what made them? If so, what was its purpose? Why does it tell the MC in advance that it's going to eat him or whatever?

I think the problem here is the mixing of two ending twists in such a way that both are robbed of their impact. One twist is the drawings themselves--oh how creepy, he's got a stalker or something, etc etc. The other twist is the final drawing--here's a record of his life, and look, the very last one represents... this exact moment, in which he's about to die! Either twist would be totally fine on its own, but together they raise too many questions for this slender story to support.

I was kind of thinknig about adding a few more science fiction elements early on in the story, but I felt like it would be too much - like they were shoehorned in. The pace had to be somewhat fast. Milo was the secondary objective (because I thought it was funny to have this massive blob with spider legs talking in a sing songy high pitched human voice while delivering the mail). When I was editing, I considered (and kind of suggested) that Milo was the thing making the scratches at the end. That didn't really work out how I wanted it to, unfortunately. Like you said, maybe if I had put in around 300 more words, I could have better explained a few of the ideas there.

As for the ending, the thing actually carved all of Nathaniel's major life events before they happened. The rest of Nathaniel's life is lived in between the panels. What I think would have clarified this a bit was if I had written the apartment building in such a way that there was a network of halls between each room and the passageways between them were a lot bigger. Then I could have had Nathaniel look down different hallways and see these huge murals of comic book layouts featuring boys and girls. The final panel of each one would end the exact same way his final panel ended. Perhaps the thing is hungry so it creates or manipulates events in such a way with its comic book creating powers to bring that, now, well matured and plump food right to its mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom