• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Yeah, unless really weird things happen, Uncharted has the next one on lock.

Based on developer quality alone I think Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3 and Persona 5 would all be in the running.

However, we don't know if they will dip in quality relative to general expectations, nor do we know the quality of any other 2016 releases. And not to mention, there might be other no-brainer GOTY contenders coming this year that haven't yet been announced.

Saying Uncharted 4 has it on lock is a bit silly at this point. Nothing weird has to happen for something else to take GAFs #1.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Congrats, now you know how I feel every time I see people insist that Bloodborne is a new IP.
But it is a new IP... but obviously very Souls-like.

Is it fair to say that people were excited about The Last of Us because they enjoyed Uncharted games and Naughty Dog's recent track record?

Now to be fair TLoU is more different than Uncharted than Bloodborne is different than Souls, but still, the principle is the same. A lot of people were excited by Bloodborne because they were Souls fans. And a lot of people were excited because it wasn't Souls.

I don't really understand. I remember the excitement being through the roof for Bloodborne and it was largely because its a Souls game. Same as how there was excitement for XCX because of XC.

I think Bloodborne is the first souls game for half of the people on here, including me. That's why. However, it's not my 1# but it's in my top 10.

Malus

But it is a new IP... but obviously very Souls-like.

Is it fair to say that people were excited about The Last of Us because they enjoyed Uncharted games and Naughty Dog's recent track record?

Now to be fair TLoU is more different than Uncharted than Bloodborne is different than Souls, but still, the principle is the same. A lot of people were excited by Bloodborne because they were Souls fans. And a lot of people were excited because it wasn't Souls.

It is a new IP for sure, but it's not starting from scratch like was said earlier. There was a built in following based on the developer like you said, and because it's so similar to previous games in the 'series'.

I think Bloodborne is the first souls game for half of the people on here, including me. That's why. However, it's not my 1# but it's in my top 10.

It was mine too, but I bought it because of the reputation of Souls games and the expectation that it would provide a similar experience, which it does.

It is a new IP for sure, but it's not starting from scratch like was said earlier. There was a built in following based on the developer like you said, and because it's so similar to previous games in the 'series'.

I think people lean on this way too hard, as if all From and Sony had to do is sit back and let Miyazaki and From's worldwide fame sell the game by itself. They still had plenty of work to do, both in differentiating it from Souls (which I think they did really well) and to sell the game to the 2 million+ people who bought it, because it's not like it had the name recognition Dark Souls had when it came out.

They're completely unrelated. Bloodborne was starting totally from scratch and was a big underdog.

I completely and utterly disagree with this sentiment. From the second it was leaked people expected a new spin on Souls and when it was officially unveiled it turned out to be just that. It still had the hype of the Souls pedigree behind it through and through and is mostly categorized along with the other Souls games on a regular basis. So no, it did not start from scratch whatsoever and it was never a big underdog considering how critically acclaimed Miyazaki's last game was.

Malus

I think people lean on this way too hard, as if all From and Sony had to do is sit back and let Miyazaki and From's worldwide fame sell the game by itself. They still had plenty of work to do, both in differentiating it from Souls (which I think they did really well) and to sell the game to the 2 million+ people who bought it, because it's not like it had the name recognition Dark Souls had when it came out.

It had even more recognition because it came out after Dark Souls.

I don't think anyone here was trying to attack Sony lol. They did a good job of capitalizing on the series' recent success. The discussion was about gaf popularity and I mean come on, Bloodborne's got like a half dozen OTs going here. It wasn't some mystery game and I definitely expected it to compete for the GOTY top spot.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This "terrible year" hyperbole is totally lost on me, it was a great year as far as gaming goes.
It's individuals that say it. I think voter participation (provided the voting period is equally long( is the most accurate way to track how good a year was.

Not to take away from the years where voter participation wasn't as high, those harbor some of my favorites games.

Bloodborne is as much of a new IP as Dark Souls was when it came out. It literally is Souls game with a name change and Victorian/Lovecraft theme rather than medieval.

GamerJM

Banned
I thought 2014 and 2012 were both great (2012 especially), and 2015 was sort of an off-year wherein download-only/indie games appealed to my sensibilities more than they typically do and them, along with a few other key titles, saved the year from being truly bad. It's still probably one of my least favorite years in gaming since around 1991 though. I hardly play anything western publishers put out though, since I mostly play JRPGs, fighting games, rhythm games, platformers, visual novels, and basically anything Nintendo puts out.

It had even more recognition because it came out after Dark Souls.

I don't think anyone here was trying to attack Sony lol. They did a good job of capitalizing on the series' recent success. The discussion was about gaf popularity and I mean come on, Bloodborne's got like a half dozen OTs going here. It wasn't some mystery game and I definitely expected it to compete for the GOTY top spot.

You've lost me. Attack Sony? Mystery game? You realise Cyan was being sarcastic, right? I thought you got that after Stump's "whoosh." No-one was saying it came out of nowhere. Morrigan Stark even compared the situation to TLOU, which also didn't come out of nowhere.

I was just replying to your dismissive comments, because it sounded the same as most of the ones thrown at Bloodborne.

They're completely unrelated. Bloodborne was starting totally from scratch and was a big underdog.

Calling it a new IP I can understand, but calling it an underdog? Please, it's a Dark Souls-esque game developed by From Software, that ain't no underdog, there's a built-in audience.

myco666

Bloodborne is as much of a new IP as Dark Souls was when it came out. It literally is Souls game with a name change and Victorian/Lovecraft theme rather than medieval.

I disagree. Differences between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are very minor when comparing either of those to Bloodborne. Yes Bloodborne is built around the same framework as those games but that doesn't mean it isn't a new IP. If Bloodborne isn't a new IP then SOMA isn't a new IP either as it is pretty much Amnesia in future which again is pretty much Penumbra in 1800.

it was all right. better than 2014 at least. but then, what isn't. 2012? probably.

I thought this year was ok enough, and I didn't even get around to Bloodboourns. I usually find more than enough I enjoy most years, but my opinion may be skewed by the fact that I usually only have time for about 15 games a year.

This "terrible year" hyperbole is totally lost on me, it was a great year as far as gaming goes.

That's what I'm thinking. Actually for me it was an exceptional year and I consider Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and Life is Strange somewhere among my all time favorite games already.

Malus

You've lost me. Attack Sony? Mystery game? You realise Cyan was being sarcastic, right? I thought you got that after Stump's "whoosh." No-one was saying it came out of nowhere. Morrigan Stark even compared the situation to TLOU, which also didn't come out of nowhere.

I was just replying to your dismissive comments, because it sounded the same as most of the ones thrown at Bloodborne.

You've lost me too. I'm just replying to you and others continuing the conversation :p

I said no one's attacking Sony because you seemed to be defending them for some reason. Otherwise I don't really understand what points you're trying to make.

eot

Banned
"Bloodborne finally does away with the Souls series' penchant for sluggish, trial-and-error gameplay, and replaces it with some much-needed fast-paced, offense-oriented combat."

How can you think Souls is trial and error but Bloodborne isn't?
I'm glad Bloodborne reached more people, but it's good for all the same reasons the previous games are.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
"Bloodborne finally does away with the Souls series' penchant for sluggish, trial-and-error gameplay, and replaces it with some much-needed fast-paced, offense-oriented combat."

How can you think Souls is trial and error but Bloodborne isn't?
I'm glad Bloodborne reached more people, but it's good for all the same reasons the previous games are.
But if you think Bloodborne is good because of the aggressive offensive oriented combat then that is not the same reason as the other games.

Top Bottom