• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT9| Rick and Morty Mafia now taking Sign Ups!

Gorlak

Banned
You're talking in circles here. Are activity levels abysmal and detrimental to the community? Or is there no problem at all with it? Is it enough to deal with it ingame? Post requirement vs vote requirement.

I'm in the camp of giving the decision power to the mod. The one in charge decides what kind of activity he/she wants to foster and can enforce rules accordingly.

But I also pretty much agree with Kawl's view. We are lacking something in this community to improve the game quality, don't know what exactly though.

If we do this then I'd like to request that smaller games be run far more regularly with a firmer hand in selecting game participants based on contribution levels for those of us who actually want to play mafia.

Smaller, faster games for those willing to participate would be great.

ezikmXX.png

01. Sorian
02. Dr. Worm
03. Dusk Soldier
04. Zippedpinhead
05. Acohrs
06. Bronx-man
07. Zeusy
08. *Splinter
09. Kalor
10. Kawl_USC
11. Burbeting
12. Ty4on
13. CCS

Replacement #1: Lord of Castamere

*Splinter

I believe another issue that came up ages ago is whether or not a Mod should do something if a person is active in a Secret Chat ( whether Scum Chat or otherwise ) but is barely posting anything in the Main Thread. I think in that instance a warning might be justified but I'm curious to know what others think.
👍

I'm fine with low activity players tbh, but intentional lurking bothers me a bit.

roytheone

My statement has nothing to do with the quality of the posts, and everything to do with the rules of the game.

If someone is invested enough into the game to post in such a way, why would they arbitrarily decided to not follow the rules of the game. In such a case they should consider leaving the game.

From what I've seen some games have game-specific rules instigated by the game runner. If someone followed every single rule and made nothing but quality, long ass posts, and yet decided to not follow one of those game specific rules because they thought it 'arbitrarily', should they not be considered for replacement or reprimand?

That's why we are discussing if the rules currently in place should stay or be adapted. Right now the rules also don't say anything about not being allowed to post nonsense to reach the number, but people do seem to have had problems with LP doing exactly that so clearly it is worth it to look at the rules to see if they need to change.

Sophia

That's why we are discussing if the rules currently in place should stay or be adapted. Right now the rules also don't say anything about not being allowed to post nonsense to reach the number, but people do seem to have had problems with LP doing exactly that so clearly it is worth it to look at the rules to see if they need to change.

Technically, they do. You have to respect all GAF rules as well while playing, and spamming is against GAF rules, so... :p

nin1000

Banned
Kawl, Roy and someone else.

Could you take a look over my game ?

You should have access to it.

It's been waiting since the 3rd of September to be looked at again :*

If my play during inFamous affected you, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to disregard or violate the spirit of the 10 post rule. While it may be arbitrary and not the best indicator of activity, it is objective, and I understand why it's there. I think modkilling is excessive, but at the same time the rule shouldn't be a soft guideline, and making an effort to contribute and participate in the game is necessary for the enjoyment of fellow players. I know at the end of the day it's supposed to be fun and casual, but it is a commitment every time you sign up, and it should be treated as such.

If I was town in inFamous, I would not have been happy with my play. Even though lurking/coasting is a valid scum strategy, it's not fun for the other players, and I can see how it's frustrating for scum to get a "free pass" by staying quiet. I will be better.

Sophia

At the end of the day, we simply need to be harsher, as players, on lurking and coasting. The tools are in our hands as far as meta goes. There's no reason we shouldn't have lynched Kark/Xbro on Day 1 of Love Boat mafia, for example. :p

RetroMG

At the end of the day, we simply need to be harsher, as players, on lurking and coasting. The tools are in our hands as far as meta goes. There's no reason we shouldn't have lynched Kark/Xbro on Day 1 of Love Boat mafia, for example. :p

I agree with your premise, but not your example.

Kark was trying to be active in Love Boat 2, but his partner was not - During the first day phase we talked to him several times and let it slide because of IRL issues. During the second day we talked to him several times and then finally replaced him. We attempted to give the player as much leeway as we felt was fair, because he was new and the early days of LB2 were overwhelming. In the end, it was unfair to Kark, who was chomping at the bit in his private thread to have someone to discuss the game with.

This is something that I also want to mention when we talk about Mod involvement - it's sometimes easy to believe that nothing is happening on the Mods' end because we try to handle as many things as possible privately. In this case we were doing our best to be as fair as possible, and in the end, I went and told Kark's original partner that he was going to be replaced. (Which is a truly sucky conversation to have.)

If a player feels like the mods aren't managing the games well enough, they are always welcome to come and talk to me about it privately. If a change needs to be made, I'll see that it happens, and if there's a reason things are how they are, I will tell you that, too. (Or at least as much as I can without ruining anything.)

I agree with your premise, but not your example.

Kark was trying to be active in Love Boat 2, but his partner was not - During the first day phase we talked to him several times and let it slide because of IRL issues. During the second day we talked to him several times and then finally replaced him. We attempted to give the player as much leeway as we felt was fair, because he was new and the early days of LB2 were overwhelming, but in the end, it was unfair to Kark, who was chomping at the bit in his private thread to have someone to discuss the game with.

This is something that I also want to mention when we talk about Mod involvement - it's sometimes easy to believe that nothing is happening on the Mods' end because we try to handle as many things as possible privately. In this case we were doing our best to be as fair as possible, and in the end, I went and told Kark's original partner that he was going to be replaced. (Which is a truly sucky conversation to have.)

If a player feels like the mods aren't managing the games well enough, they are always welcome to come and talk to me about it privately. If a change needs to be made, I'll see that it happens, and if there's a reason things are how they are, I will tell you that, too. (Or at least as much as I can without ruining anything.)

You're thinking of me. Kark is the one with the purple cat avatar and the unnecessary gambits...

Sophia

Yeah I was gonna say, Kark was the one who disappeared intentionally for most of the day phase and did a silly... whatever that was at the end of Day 1. We totally should have lynched him when he admitted being in his love boat, lol.

Xbro

In my defense, I had a reason for Day 1 absence. Subsequent days were just me deciding to roll with the playstyle I'd been going with.

Granted I'm a pretty quiet player usually, but not at that level.

If my play during inFamous affected you, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to disregard or violate the spirit of the 10 post rule. While it may be arbitrary and not the best indicator of activity, it is objective, and I understand why it's there. I think modkilling is excessive, but at the same time the rule shouldn't be a soft guideline, and making an effort to contribute and participate in the game is necessary for the enjoyment of fellow players. I know at the end of the day it's supposed to be fun and casual, but it is a commitment every time you sign up, and it should be treated as such.

If I was town in inFamous, I would not have been happy with my play. Even though lurking/coasting is a valid scum strategy, it's not fun for the other players, and I can see how it's frustrating for scum to get a "free pass" by staying quiet. I will be better.
You know what's actually funny is that I did a look-over of your play in Pokemon and compared it with Gods which is why I leaned towards you being town lol. I wasn't really too bothered by it since I've played with you at low activity level before.

I do agree that coasting is valid as scum because it isn't on them to move discussion along as it is to their detriment. And I'd rather not be just be mad when scum fluffs their way to the post limit (pretty sure that isaacnukem did a more egregious version on another day). So it really is up to the rest of town to pull the average post amount up with more (quality) posts. Just need to keep in mind that not everybody will ever have the 100s of posts that can be easily attained by some players regardless of how townie they are. However, I also think it should be at the mod's discretion if they think that there is people abusing the rule and take the same action as they would against someone who was under the post limit.

On a side note, I think it would be interesting to see what the post count per 24 hour breakdown is during a day phase.

franconp

Coasting can also be a valid strategy as town. Some players when they get a good role try to not involve too much so they don't get targeted by scum.

I fail to see why the mods should act with low content players. It can be one strategy like any other. Sure, It's not the more fun to play with but it's still valid.

I do like a minimum baseline of activity, because in some games there's competition for spots and it's kind of shitty if you knock someone else out to get into a game and only post like twice a day phase. That doesn't do much for anyone in the game or out.

Sophia

Coasting can also be a valid strategy as town. Some players when they get a good role try to not involve too much so they don't get targeted by scum.

I fail to see why the mods should act with low content players. It can be one strategy like any other. Sure, It's not the more fun to play with but it's still valid.

This is why I think the ten post requirement is beneficial to players. It's a very low bar to meet during a full day phase of Mafia, and gives players a clear distinction between inactive players and players legitimately attempting to lay low. Contrast the one post requirement we had before, which basically made no such distinction and was pretty much worthless.

franconp

I do like a minimum baseline of activity, because in some games there's competition for spots and it's kind of shitty if you knock someone else out to get into a game and only post like twice a day phase. That doesn't do much for anyone in the game or out.

I feel the same but not everyone plays the same way. I think that restricting game styles because people don't like them is not good. That's lowering the bar and making the games easier for town.

This is why I think the ten post requirement is beneficial to players. It's a very low bar to meet during a full day phase of Mafia, and gives players a clear distinction between inactive players and players legitimately attempting to lay low. Contrast the one post requirement we had before, which basically made no such distinction and was pretty much worthless.

I agree. I still believe the 10 post rule is a decent rule. Way better than the 1 post per day rule that we had before.

So, not to derail the current conversation, but I mentioned at some point that I would probably write about the community, since I research games and digital spaces, and I have a project assignment this semester that fits, so here we are. I just wanted to give you all a heads up since I'll be documenting on the blog I write for too. I'm not naming the community there and I won't mention anyone by name - actually what I'm looking at is the absolutely WEALTH of documentation produced because it's really fascinating. If this starts to look like a Real Project I'll talk to the mods because I'll have to do some paperwork but for now it's just exploration and all. I just didn't want anyone to be stumble across my work and be all UGH THAT SHADY MONKEY.

Anyway, I have nothing but praise for everyone and the community. Except for Ouro, of course. But outside of Ouro, who is the worst, I'm amazed at how this place keeps going and everything it produces and all the ways you welcome in new players and help them learn.

that is all. carry on with rule discussions.

cabot

I feel the same but not everyone plays the same way. I think that restricting game styles because people don't like them is not good. That's lowering the bar and making the games easier for town.

I agree. I still believe the 10 post rule is a decent rule. Way better than the 1 post per day rule that we had before.

I agree with the second point, which is more of a clarification on your first.

LP was on the fringes of the activity rule, that's within his right to do so. I did also townread it like OA did, because LP is normally like this (minus maybe the time he just posted 10).

It's frustrating at times but yeah, Town should've wasted him early instead of having him in lylo. That's on us as players.

isaac was a bit more grating. After Bar, I personally won't modkill for inactivity, but that day phase in particular where isaac just posted crud to make the ten, I would've had the discussion about forced replacement.

I think the solution is contextual, remove the 'you have to be less than ten twice consecutively' section of the rule and make it up to the mods whether or not they feel the player is just not respecting the ten post rule. Then force replace, not modkill. If I was inFAMOUS mod, I'd have kept L_P and replaced isaac.

cabot

So, not to derail the current conversation, but I mentioned at some point that I would probably write about the community, since I research games and digital spaces, and I have a project assignment this semester that fits, so here we are. I just wanted to give you all a heads up since I'll be documenting on the blog I write for too. I'm not naming the community there and I won't mention anyone by name - actually what I'm looking at is the absolutely WEALTH of documentation produced because it's really fascinating. If this starts to look like a Real Project I'll talk to the mods because I'll have to do some paperwork but for now it's just exploration and all. I just didn't want anyone to be stumble across my work and be all UGH THAT SHADY MONKEY.

Anyway, I have nothing but praise for everyone and the community. Except for Ouro, of course. But outside of Ouro, who is the worst, I'm amazed at how this place keeps going and everything it produces and all the ways you welcome in new players and help them learn.

where your blog at. Is it full of cool stuff.

Sorian

Banned

You can use my name but only if you also add my title as 4th best mafia player in the world.
I was robbed, should have been top 3 easy.

Swamped

Banned

Can't wait to read about my splendorous play! Also, you write well so I'm looking forward to reading it :)

Btw, remember way back someone blogged about gafia and they specifically talked about Blarg? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a player so it was an actual fan lol. I think Retro posted the link to that.

Can't wait to read about my splendorous play! Also, you write well so I'm looking forward to reading it :)

Btw, remember way back someone blogged about gafia and they specifically talked about Blarg? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a player so it was an actual fan lol. I think Retro posted the link to that.

I would love to read that. I'm gonna hunt it down.

Ourobolus

Banned

I read your first post, I am disappointed in the lack of namedropping me and how I am varying degrees of superlatives

Top Bottom