• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT9| Rick and Morty Mafia now taking Sign Ups!

SalvaPot

My ears perk up whenever I see a game that may have a map mechanic. Maybe I should just design a map game.

I haaate map mechanics, they are dumb and silly.

I love games with multiple factions, maybe I should just make another vigilante game, but in teams of 3.

Sophia

I've never been able to add a map mechanic to my games that I was satisfied with, be it a game I actually ran or one I haven't ran yet. : \

Is outer GAFia broken? I can't get to the forum.

Edit: using safari on IOS and I get a ”backing browser" page that is supposed to redirect and then it doesn't.

What's the status on running and upcoming games right now? As the current ganerunners may have noticed I had some problems with my raspberry pi again (unable to remotely edit the tool main page).

Turns out everything was broken and it was a small miracle it ran at all. Don't ask how it happened I have no clue. Depending on the timeframe we need the votetool back I will either try to get that part barebones running or I will try to set up everything else I had running. But as I'm not at home for the next couple of weeks, if I fuck up somewhere and can't connect remotely anymore, the tool might be gone for a couple of weeks.

Faddy

Banned
What's the status on running and upcoming games right now? As the current ganerunners may have noticed I had some problems with my raspberry pi again (unable to remotely edit the tool main page).

Turns out everything was broken and it was a small miracle it ran at all. Don't ask how it happened I have no clue. Depending on the timeframe we need the votetool back I will either try to get that part barebones running or I will try to set up everything else I had running. But as I'm not at home for the next couple of weeks, if I fuck up somewhere and can't connect remotely anymore, the tool might be gone for a couple of weeks.

I was getting expired certificate errors on the automatic counter, some HSTS Certificate error. (I ain't no web dev)

Also my game is coming along pretty well and I still only have 1 reviewer. So if anyone is up for helping me with feedback and tweaking it please feel free to volunteer.

Ty4on

What was the reason the page is https only again?
I got an issue that it expired a week ago, but was unable to get into the http version.

What was the reason the page is https only again?
I got an issue that it expired a week ago, but was unable to get into the http version.

I just had an auto-redirect to https in there, because why not. But you have to renew the cert every 90 days (?) and I didn't immediately set up a job to just renew it every month or something and when I finally wanted to tackle it, I couldn't get onto my pi anymore. I actually think its SD card might be dying. if something like that happens again, I'll get a new one.

Ty4on

I just had an auto-redirect to https in there, because why not. But you have to renew the cert every 90 days (?) and I didn't immediately set up a job to just renew it every month or something and when I finally wanted to tackle it, I couldn't get onto my pi anymore. I actually think its SD card might be dying. if something like that happens again, I'll get a new one.
I guess that's why not :p

Would it be hard to get it to write like a daily backup to the card and instead relying on keeping values in RAM? I can see the constant writing killing it; SD card write endurance sucks asssss

Faddy

Banned

Would it be hard to get it to write like a daily backup to the card and instead relying on keeping values in RAM? I can see the constant writing killing it; SD card write endurance sucks asssss

It is probably a better idea to get a small USB stick instead of an SD card.

Not with the current workflow, no. I wanted to write a new version anyway, not as php script but as executable with more features and so on. Maybe it's possible to implement it there, but my current knowledge on interfacing with other processes is not sufficient to assess that. That's going to be a steep learning process, I fear...

Ty4on

Not with the current workflow, no. I wanted to write a new version anyway, not as php script but as executable with more features and so on. Maybe it's possible to implement it there, but my current knowledge on interfacing with other processes is not sufficient to assess that. That's going to be a steep learning process, I fear...
Time to find sturdy SD cards I guess :p

Faddy

Banned
I think they can have the same issue. They're not designed to live life as internal storage drives and use low quality NAND.

I had a Pi as a XBMC device and running from a USB stick was much better than running from an SD card. I guess the vote count tool doesn't require much in the way of performance.

Ty4on

I had a Pi as a XBMC device and running from a USB stick was much better than running from an SD card. I guess the vote count tool doesn't require much in the way of performance.
It might. It could be why it's so slow to request a vote count.

Would a faster card help tho or is the bottleneck in the reader?

I think my game is the only game going right now, so if it goes down and I have to manually count I can. The biggest issue is that I'm in training all week, and so will not be able to watch the game as closely as I have been. An unfortunate timing conflict means the three days I'm in training are the three days of day phase #5.

It might. It could be why it's so slow to request a vote count.

Would a faster card help tho or is the bottleneck in the reader?
Nah, it just writes the HTML and a data file in the end. I'm pretty sure the bottleneck is the string processing. Maybe the download of the thread, but I'd say that's unlikely.

RetroMG

Schedule wise, yes, AbBro's Rick and Morty game is the only one running now. Ouro's invitational is supposed to begin on the heels of R&M finishing. I'll check with Ouro, but I'm pretty sure he'll be okay without the vote tool. (He had his own thing that he set up, IIRC.)

Also, Royal, I'm reopening work on Outer Gafia 2.0. If and when you have time, I would like to get with you and check to see if the vote tool will work on the new system. It won't be for a while yet, though. (I'm literally starting over today or tomorrow.)

A non-invitational game to run concurrently?

Yeah, looking forward to a new one

seems like the high activity members aren't as eager as the low activity players to play at the moment... a few pages ago in this thread, we saw cabot and hey_monkey, just as examples, pulling out of the R&M roster for a bit of break. the community's core members can probably use a bit of a breather to avoid burning out from playing back to back games.

so..... no new games until november, when the new recruitment thread will go up into main OT section

additionally, maybe this is a good time for those who'd like to reflect and review their past performances to reread how they did in previous games. maybe is a good chance to try and prep and upskill in future games. gafia's quality of play can definitely use a lift.

seems like the high activity members aren't as eager as the low activity players to play at the moment... a few pages ago in this thread, we saw cabot and hey_monkey, just as examples, pulling out of the R&M roster for a bit of break. the community's core members can probably use a bit of a breather to avoid burning out from playing back to back games.

so..... no new games until november, when the new recruitment thread will go up into main OT section

additionally, maybe this is a good time for those who'd like to reflect and review their past performances to reread how they did in previous games. maybe is a good chance to try and prep and upskill in future games. gafia's quality of play can definitely use a lift.

sweatv6u8l.gif

RetroMG

So we've been talking about this in Discord for the last few days, but I'm going to put this here, too. I've been working on building the new version of Outer Gafia. It's at www.outergafia.net.

It's not ready for full use yet, so for now, games will keep rolling on the current site. We'll make a full announcement when we are ready to migrate fully to the new site. For now, I just wanted to give everyone a look at what's coming down the line.

Top Bottom