• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia Season 7 |Review Thread| In Memory of Byron J Crabbington

Wowee zowee. Ynnny I'm gonna need a mini maf or something in the middle of this if we're really waiting a few months to kick off more games :p

there's always more mafia at mafia universe :3

although their lingo sucks and the way they speak to each other is meh compared to gafia's texture :x

as for S8 kick off, realistically it will be up SOON(tm) ...

... ask retro how SOON :3

Natiko

Banned
there's always more mafia at mafia universe :3

although their lingo sucks and the way they speak to each other is meh compared to gafia's texture :x

as for S8 kick off, realistically it will be up SOON(tm) ...

... ask retro how SOON :3
Something tells me we can scrounge up a better participant than my sorry self. Not trying to rush anyone, just was surprised by such a distant time :p

Something tells me we can scrounge up a better participant than my sorry self. Not trying to rush anyone, just was surprised by such a distant time :p

fair query :>

i'll poke the MOD CONCLAVE to see their response and get back to y'all on this actually

thanks for the prod, natichan o7

RetroMG

I would like to start signups early next week, ideally. I am working with the other mods to see how likely this is.

I apologize that this has dragged on so long - Part of allowing the crazier games in for a season means we have to at least TRY to balance the crazier games, which is a harder task than you would think. We've also had some health issues in play, some IRL issues, and, well, let's be honest, there have been a LOT of really good video games out lately. Zelda AND Persona, am I right?

*ahem*

Two games are fully vetted. One game is just a smidge away from being ready. One game is going to depend on the overall health of the gamerunner, and I don't even know what's going on with that fifth game.

When we have three games, we're going to launch. If we can get a fourth or even a fifth in there, great. So... be looking for something early next week.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like we had this conversation a few seasons ago, except it was "how do we get scum to win more"

Some of it was poor play, some of it was poor balance. Eventually it worked itself out. As long as players and mods are learning from experience, this will work itself out too.

I agree. Most of town's losses were poor play. I don't think any were from unbalanced games. Mafia and town have different learning curves. It's not intuitive to play scum early on, and new town win all the time. When scum get good, that then catches town totally unawares. Our collective town play is quite poor at the moment. Roles have very little to do with it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
1. mid season games (with scum winningz) are mostly done at a faster cycle

Also this. GAF's approach to time duration is blargh. "Oh I think 3 days is too long for a Day Phase". You don't have time to establish tells or anything. The statistical rate of final moment wagons on GAFia is higher than any other mafia site I know. That's admittedly only a sample of 5 others, but even so - I don't even play MafiaUniverse or Town of Salem, so others may be able to indepedently corroborate me.

And I think the reason town don't value time is because they haven't figured out how to use it yet. Too much of our days are wasted time. Partly because people don't know how to use time, and partly because our towns largely just lynch people who make more contributions - I think because contributions are necessarily often wrong, and people attribute that to malice rather than: it's Day 2, of course lots of other people are going to be wrong. This is slowly making better players much more inclined not to contribute, which then makes the problem even worse over time.

I'm all in favour of really working to slow down GAFia play and encourage deliberative, intentioned lynches.

Put another way: games have to be designed such that if all town actions were taken entirely at random, scum would win. Why? Because otherwise, at the start of the game, all town would agree to use an RNG or some such and anyone that deviated would be scum, since over time town would win more often than not. What makes town actions non-random is how you react to other people - their quirks and tells. This is revealed over the course of time. The less time you have, the less quirks you get, the closer to random the game becomes, the more likely scum are to win.

Ty4on

In my experience when it comes to time managment we see a much better utilization of time in games with shorter phases. In 4/3 games time is such a seemingly limitless resource that players can procrastinate. Not that all games should be 1/1, but more that we should maybe have more short games to teach the importance of using your time wisely.

I agree very much about the late wagons. I played around with a script visualizing votes for Gafia 3 and noticed right off the bat that there were zero wagons until EoD. One thing MU games tend to do which may help is to disable the majority lynch on D1 so players don't have to be scared of putting someone into turbo territory. I think mostly it's just the meta that needs a bit of changing. Votes moving around can be scary for scum because they're less sure where it'll settle and are forced to act and 6 votes is still a mile away from being a turbo.
And I think the reason town don't value time is because they haven't figured out how to use it yet. Too much of our days are wasted time. Partly because people don't know how to use time, and partly because our towns largely just lynch people who make more contributions - I think because contributions are necessarily often wrong, and people attribute that to malice rather than: it's Day 2, of course lots of other people are going to be wrong. This is slowly making better players much more inclined not to contribute, which then makes the problem even worse over time.
This is a very natural way of playing because you focus on the players that you're thinking about. If you look back at past games and who were scum, more often than not they're going to be those you probably didn't pay much attention to.
I think there are two ways of dealing with it. The first is to look at the playerlist more and study the players that don't stick out. The second is to focus more on town reading, especially those that stick out. You can never really guarantee someone's alignment from text; anything town writes scum can write too, it's just text. Focus more on the likelyhood and experiences from past games.

The contributions thing is very true. People are quite scared of being mislynched and tone themselves down. I think we need to work against that, in part by focusing on town reads more. I bring it up again because feel the meta is very much on finding #scumtells, but that punishes activity and reactive play. Can't have scumtells when you have #notells :p

Top Bottom