• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Davey Cakes

To be honest I listened to Savages' first album Silence Yourself and thought it was merely okay. I can do that sort of music but the songs didn't really resonate.

I listened to Siouxsie and the Banshees afterward and if we're talking that post-punk, new wave, gothic rock sound, I much preferred their work. Then again, they have a whole discography to explore, with some great albums during the 80s. I also enjoyed Siouxsie Sioux's more recent solo effort Mantaray.

In the end I guess I have something to thank Savages for, at least.

To be honest I listened to Savages' first album Silence Yourself and thought it was merely okay. I can do that sort of music but the songs didn't really resonate.

I listened to Siouxsie and the Banshees afterward and if we're talking that post-punk, new wave, gothic rock sound, I much preferred their work. Then again, they have a whole discography to explore, with some great albums during the 80s. I also enjoyed Siouxsie Sioux's more recent solo effort Mantaray.

In the end I guess I have something to thank Savages for, at least.
I'm used to so many post punk, new wave, shoe gaze dream pop, goth and other such weirdness that Savages doesn't bother me too much. They're nowhere near as experimental as Siouxsie and the Banshees, but Savages has been pretty catchy and it scratches that itch for me. In my honest opinion todays groups that were inspired by the 80's groups aren't as talented as the originators, but they still do a pretty good job and strike out in their own ways. I mean you really can't cover a My Bloody Valentine song and do it justice, but as long as you put your own spin on it it's fine enough usually. One of my favorite groups Mira covered When You Sleep and while the timing and energy is quite different from the original I still like it.
When You Sleep (My Bloody Valentine cover)
Meanwhile you have Collide that covered a Faith and the Muse song...and they did it justice in my opinion. I'd link it but it's a straight pain in the ass to find, it's on the Vera Causa album.

Edit:
I'm also just happy to find new groups that make music I like that are still actually together. I also had no idea Siouxsie was still making music.

faridmon

The comparison between Savages and Siouxsie have been baffling to me. They sound nothing alike apart from being two bands that have a strong female as a vocalist. Siouxsie never ventured into the Noise sound at all, and the first album, only sounded shredded because none of them played guitar before and they actually wrote music as they were learning how to use their instruments. Siouxsie abandoned Post-Punk any ways after their first album and their most successful albums were closer to pop than to rock even. If anything, Savages should be compared to female-lead No-wave bands of New Yorks such as The Raincoats, Rosa Yemen, Lydian Lunch and Bush Tetras, who were heavily influenced by the political activity in their time, sang angrily and aggressively with heavy emphasis on noise and chaotic Rhythms.Hong Kong Gardens certainly didn't have any of that.

Jimmy Eat World isn't the kind of reference that makes me wanna listen to a band. But The Replacements is. I'll give it a go.

Jimmy Eat World were a great band. The only band that walked a fine line of not sounding too whiny emo-like many of those Pop Punk bands that and sounding pretentioas when whining like many of those late 90s Emo bands
coughAmericanFootballcough

faridmon

Personally, I loved Peepshow of all their albums, although I admit, I haven't listened to much of Juju or Kaleidoscope

I honestly hate The Scream and Join Hands. Such awful records with just amateur writing

Davey Cakes

The comparison is more about influence than sound. If the sound was actually similar, I'd probably like Savages more. That's the point. But, it does take some inspiration in terms of the genre in general. We're talking the difference between the 70s/80s and 2010s though.

Plus, I just jumped on Siouxsie as an example because I have experience with her work, and the fact that I really did jump into that band after having tried Savages, by coincidence.

While we're on the topic, perhaps I'm the dissenting opinion but I actually enjoyed Hyaena (1984) more than the other albums.

The comparison between Savages and Siouxsie have been baffling to me. They sound nothing alike apart from being two bands that have a strong female as a vocalist. Siouxsie never ventured into the Noise sound at all, and the first album, only sounded shredded because none of them played guitar before and they actually wrote music as they were learning how to use their instruments. Siouxsie abandoned Post-Punk any ways after their first album and their most successful albums were closer to pop than to rock even. If anything, Savages should be compared to female-lead No-wave bands of New Yorks such as The Raincoats, Rosa Yemen, Lydian Lunch and Bush Tetras, who were heavily influenced by the political activity in their time, sang angrily and aggressively with heavy emphasis on noise and chaotic Rhythms.Hong Kong Gardens certainly didn't have any of that.
]
I'm sorry about that. The two vocalists sound similar to me, that is it. The music outside of that are way different. I always thought by me saying "she" that it was blatant that I just meant the singer. And even with that she's nowhere near as sultry or seductive as Siouxsie tends to be and even with that the similarity is only there for certain Banshees tracks. The woman from Banshees seems to be a lot more throaty by comparison. I'm youtubing all of the mentioned bands and no wave or at least from that era is not my cup of tea. Ok Bush Tetras aren't too bad. Kind of remind of Romeo Void, but Romeo Void might not be as chaotic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVPaxfNsKQ

Linius

Jimmy Eat World were a great band. The only band that walked a fine line of not sounding too whiny emo-like many of those Pop Punk bands that and sounding pretentioas when whining like many of those late 90s Emo bands
coughAmericanFootballcough

American Football is great. Their selftitled album is a classic. And let's not forget you had a great time at The Van Pelt gig, talking about late nineties emo bands. Please understand.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'd need to dedicate a whole other post to Ought, probably my fav new artist going.

Also if anyone wants to venture in to the more experimental areas of post punk Algiers self-titled debut is a totally solid and criminally overlooked mix of noisy post-punk and southen rock/gospel.

Keep the post punk recommendations coming. There's a lot of good music this year but I find myself continually going back to Ought and nothing else has really grabbed me since Sun Coming Down dropped.

Linius

Not even Protomartyr? Get on it Lamaroo

I need you guys in the AOTY thread to help Protomartyr, Viet Cong and Ought get their stardom when the time comes

HiResDes

Girls Names released a pretty good post-punk album too guys. Oh and Negative Scanner. Protomartyr is the clear front runner for me though. I really don't think the Viet Cong nor Ought are all that great.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Not even Protomartyr? Get on it Lamaroo

I need you guys in the AOTY thread to help Protomartyr, Viet Cong and Ought get their stardom when the time comes

The new Protomartyr is good, hasn't broken my love for Sun Coming Down though.

The new Deerhunter on the other hand was pretty disappointing on first listen, and I haven't gone back to it.

Girl Band is great, loving it.

Steamlord

Olga Bell's new Incitation EP is really good. She seems to have gone somewhat back to her pre-Krai sound, but you can tell she learned a lot from writing and recording Krai so the influence definitely still shows.

big ander

the Negative Scanner lp is pretty good, wiry and confident. vocals sound like Screaming Females. all dogs record is good too, though it's more sedate than the EP

Fjordson

Echo Park Records twitter says Chromatics finished Dear Tommy in April but will release it when they feel "it's the right time". K.

HiResDes

I literally didn't know I needed this until now. Thanks for the tip Des.
Glad to see people liking it, I'm a huge fan of theirs in general, I listened to them maybe two years ago and went back and copped their whole discography basically. Found them on accident while searching for The Gun Club albums lol.

Fjordson

whoa whoa. Pretty much everything that Italians Do It Better puts out is still gold imo (including the recent Chromatics tracks). And whenever I've ordered a vinyl or something from them they always throw in a handful of free goodies so they seem like alright people. But yeah, the random disappearances and delays are weird.

Honestly if he drops in November it'll totally be the right time for me, especially given the thinning of high profile indie releases. Any later then that and he can fuck right off.

faridmon

Haha All Years Leaving Festival sold out the moment I bought my tickets, Feels good to be the last person to buy the tickets.

American Football is great. Their selftitled album is a classic. And let's not forget you had a great time at The Van Pelt gig, talking about late nineties emo bands. Please understand.

American Football is whiny as fuck and that's what makes it fun. I mean, the gorgeous guitars certainly don't hurt either.

Just saying :p

The comparison is more about influence than sound. If the sound was actually similar, I'd probably like Savages more. That's the point. But, it does take some inspiration in terms of the genre in general. We're talking the difference between the 70s/80s and 2010s though.

Plus, I just jumped on Siouxsie as an example because I have experience with her work, and the fact that I really did jump into that band after having tried Savages, by coincidence.

While we're on the topic, perhaps I'm the dissenting opinion but I actually enjoyed Hyaena (1984) more than the other albums.

Ah Fair enough. Although I have seen the comparisons being thrown around the web for years now. I can see the influence and the general likeness, but it always confused me when people just put those two names side by side. Especially the fact the we had plenty of female-fronted bands who happen to play Post-Punk/Noise rock as of recent years.

faridmon

I saw Deradoorian when she opened for Laetitia Sadier and she was awesome.

Can't wait seeing her next month, if that is the case!

This new Killing Joke album is quite good.

Last album I listened to them was, Absolute Dissent, which was surprisingly enjoyable, but.... Are they still an Industrial Elctro-hardcore band? Their first album was a classic, too bad they don't play that kind of music.

Last album I listened to them was, Absolute Dissent, which was surprisingly enjoyable, but.... Are they still an Industrial Elctro-hardcore band? Their first album was a classic, too bad they don't play that kind of music.

Kind of? They are hard to classify and sort of vary song to song. I'd say on the whole this album is them with a metal bent, but check out this song, it's a fucking gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrliVJuTyeA

I think this might be their best album since Pandemonium.

Saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor last night, opening night of the Simple Things Festival at the Colston Hall in Bristol. It was probably the best live gig I've ever seen. It was just phenomenal. My ears are feeling it today but it was so worth it.

Setlist:

Hope Drone
Gathering Storm
Peasantry or 'Light! Inside of Light!'
Lambs' Breath
Asunder, Sweet
Piss Crowns Are Trebled
Moya
New song (I think)
The Sad Mafioso

Gathering Storm and The Sad Mafioso were the highlights for me.

Top Bottom