• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'd like to get some opinions on a watch I just impulse ordered vs my current watch.

the twitch purchase was because a) it was selling for 75% off the RRP (paid £69, amazon rrp is £279) b) there was only one left in stock and c) its Versace..kind of.

thoughts?

414MBJsziVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

a13lcq901-a009-1.jpg

http://www.swatchoutlet.com/store/VERSUS/A13LCQ901-A009.jpg

current watch:

514qoJsTE-L._SS500_.jpg

rage1973 said:
I finally decided to buy my second watch to add to my Rolex Sea Dweller.
Panerai Radomir Black Seal 45mm

1176807326118_1176299615157_PAM_00287_sch%20copia.jpg

I love Panerai - I hope they are as uncommon as they are now when I'm ready to get one. This is my favourite:

1176298924132_PAM_00240_sch.jpg

These are the two watches I own, a TechnoMarine Cruise CG01, and a Cartier 'Santos de Cartier Galbée" LE, in the medium size.

3742650693_1949973a35.jpg

I love love love the Technomarine for playing sports, going to the beach, etc., and use the other day-to-day. Unfortunately, the steel band isn't too happy about that, and a buff and polish costs $350...

3743442104_17a0d24a28.jpg

3743442400_57e747e237.jpg

Bill_Duke

Just got a new watch today! First one in 8-9 years. Ended up getting Certina DS Podium and I'm loving it. Just decided to upgrade from my old busted Citizen after its wristband broke.

Here's a blurry picture:

ak8knp.jpg

Peru

Anyone here shop watches online? Specifically, I'm looking at, thinking about, considering ways of purchasing an Omega Speedmaster, and I'm wondering if there are any solid, reputable sources selling them for perhaps slightly less cash money than the stores around here... (and ship to Europe).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Peru said:
Anyone here shop watches online? Specifically, I'm looking at, thinking about, considering ways of purchasing an Omega Speedmaster, and I'm wondering if there are any solid, reputable sources selling them for perhaps slightly less cash money than the stores around here... (and ship to Europe).
I bought all of my watches online, but any Brick and Mortar AD in Europe should sell the Speedmaster with a discount of around 10-20% off retail.

Peru

Oh dear.. this hobby is quite dangerous, isn't it? Not a quick rush of emotions and then an equally quick fade to apathy like so many other things I 'get into'.

Anyway, I just ordered a watch. A chinese one, Sea-Gull.. prejucides have been set aside after reading impressions and info, and understanding that this company is a pretty big mammoth and apparently making 1/3 of the mechanical movements in the world.

A beautiful watch with column wheel chronograph, which I understand is HIGHLY unusual at this price level (or just plain impossible in swiss watches unless you dole out the big cash) and maybe most importantly for me, a moon phase. I've longed for a moonphase watch since I first saw that enthralling representation of the night sky on a watch as a kid. Normally they're priced to high heavens, but this company's prices ..

M199S-1.jpg

Look at the movement:
M199S-3.jpg

400 us dollars.

TxdoHawk

As you'll see, this Casio Futurist looks like it has been through a war. I originally bought it off Ebay when I started my first college job...I needed an hourly alarm, but it had to be silent, as I was working in a library. That was about 7 or 8 years ago, it has been through several jobs, including ones that unfortunately took its toll on the watch.

IMG00012-20091129-1159.jpg

I want to eventually retire it for something more dressy and analog, now that I'm working white-collar jobs. I'm thinking either a Seiko Spirit, or an older Omega off Ebay (although I'm scared the cost of original parts and repairs may be ridiculous). It's low on the to-do list though.

Then there's my other watch, for when I want to impress the ladies:

IMG00013-20091129-1212.jpg

I bought this thing when i was fourteen or so. :lol I kind of want to fix/replace the strap and replace the long-dead battery some day, just because I can.

olore

Machado said:
I'm sorry to bump this thread but I want to buy a decent watch for about $100 and I really believe you can provide me with the information needed. I know $100 is not a lot but that's all I have. so far I've checked Amazon and some of the ones I (kinda) liked are thesetwo:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Ana-Digi-Chronograph-Watch-AMW330D-1AV/dp/B0013M6B20/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1259501597&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Analog-Reverse-Bezel-MDV301D-2AV/dp/B0013MAWL6/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1259501621&sr=1-35

what other sites should I visit? can you provide me with links?

thank you very much GAF

You should be able to find some pretty nice japanese automatics if you can go a bit above 100$ on the big auction site.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Machado said:
what other sites should I visit? can you provide me with links?

I haven't bought anything from there yet, but Chronoshark was mentioned earlier in the thread. Daily watch deals that are typically less than $100 and somewhat along the lines of the watches you are looking at. Down side of course is that you may have to watch the site for a while before they offer something you actually want.

http://www.chronoshark.com/
http://invicta.chronoshark.com

Ptaaty

31iVZlrSa7L._SL500_AA260_.jpg

Not exactly fine...but I love it, a Seiko "Black Monster" Automatic Divers. Excellent solid band with solid endlinks.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
icrosoft001 said:
What does GAF think of Lucien Piccard and Invicta watches?

I'm a new watch collector and I'd really like to slowly build up a quality collection over time. I'm really not familiar with these brands and I was wondering if they would be considered good value by other watch collectors and respectable purchases?

I just recently picked up this Lucien Piccard from Chronoshark:

http://www.chronoshark.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/616.jpg
I bought both a Lucien and Invicta watch off of Chronoshark - absolutely no complaints.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
icrosoft001 said:
Anybody? OnkelC?
Personally, I would steer clear of Invicta, as their quality is somewhat doubtful. Same goes for Lucien Piccard, both brands are basically chinese watches rebadged. Their designs are cheap knockoffs of Rolex, Omega and other high end watches, any person interested in watches will spot them and identify them as those from a mile. If shopping for a budget watch, I'd recommend Seiko, Citizen and Casio watches.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
New flat, new clock!
Casio Ref.: GQ-500-8EF, around 45EUR, weighs around a pound and can be tossed without danger (for the clock!) around the bedroom!:D

Size comparison with a G-Shock DW-5600E:

Top:

Side:

Illuminate!:

8ytboi.gif

olore

Wow, and here i am foolishly thinking that the 14060 is The Last Watch I´ll ever buy (tm). One Nixie please and then i`m all set!

EDIT: What`s this "not selling in the EEA"? Where did you get yours Uncle?

ZiZ

Danj said:
I have the metal strap version of this one:

CMD-40-1ZTER.jpg

I use the calculator and IR functions regularly, so I couldn't really switch to another type of watch at this point.

I had a watch like that when I was in high school.

it broke. now every watch I see seems obsolete. I've never worn a watch since.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
olore said:
Wow, and here i am foolishly thinking that the 14060 is The Last Watch I´ll ever buy (tm). One Nixie please and then i`m all set!

EDIT: What`s this "not selling in the EEA"? Where did you get yours Uncle?
The Embargo is because of the lightbulb prohibition.

slider

I'm thinking of getting an Edox. Spotted one in a local jewellers and I liked it a lot. Thing is I've never heard of them before! They don't sell in the UK at least. Anyone know if they're any good??

Not sure if they count as 'fine timepieces' but I'm loving Tokyo Flash watches at the moment, I will probably buy one at some point.

mosaic

go eat paint
My fiance just gave me an engraved pocketwatch for Christmas. I have no clue how you're supposed to wear the thing, or even if you are. My dress pants don't have the same little pocket my jeans do, but I rarely wear jeans anymore!

kaskade

I was looking at this Stuhrling. I'm not really a watch type of person but this one was really cool looking. I'm not sure if that's the exact one I saw in the book but I believe it is.

51zBXH0+m6L.jpg

stldave2

OnkelC said:
I just ordered this one:
queen-front.jpg

Hope I'll get one, there are only 2 of them around.

I have one a lot like that! I think mine is a touch smaller than the one you got though, I'm jealous:D

4219653871_431af7b982_o.jpg

When people come over they always stare at it for a little while, it's neat to watch the numbers change in the tubes. But (like iamblades said) they are not cheap to repair. I'd suggest turning it off if you aren't around :lol

I finally got a watch winder on Christmas. No more having to set the time before I leave home!

4219653917_19e61051ef_o.jpg

Gabyskra

Banned
God damn it. Why did I read this thread? I hate watches. I do, they're uncomfortable, I'd rather take out my cell. And now, I want a Movado watch. They look so cool. GAF I hate you.

Dr.Acula said:
Hey, does anyone know where I can order one of these online?
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii94/princeeggtarts/retroiconwatch.jpg

Retro Icon Watch. They're Korean.

Holy shit, I actually have one of those. My dad gave it to me a year back, so I'll ask him when I get the chance, although he bought it from a store in LA.

Love it, but the screen is cracked now after I wore it to a party which I don't remember very well :lol

EDIT: you should be able to find a few sites that sell it. like this one

Got this Swatch from my wife for Christmas. It's the most comfortable watch I've ever put on so it's much more likely I'll wear it over my Fossils and Tommy. Plus I really like the minimalist look of it, matches my iPhone case too...

SUJM704__1.jpg

swatch_32824.jpg

32824_1.jpg

Link

crispyben

I'm not a fan of watches, but my wife gave me a very nice one for my 30th. It's a Hermès Cape Cod Tonneau. Mine is like the one on the left, with the date, but its wristband is the color of the one on the right, though it's a regular one with a deployant clasp. I love it!

fekojl.jpg

livestOne

Peru said:
(ongoing conversation with myself)

I actually tried on the Portuguese today and it's just too big for my wrist. I've found a new goal, the Longines Master Collection Moonphase Automatic Chronograph:

100_0278_edited-1.jpg

P1010928.jpg

I mean, that's just unbelievably beautiful. Best looking Longines by a mile, and it's half the price of the IWC, so it's almost 'affordable'. 40 mm width. Once the idea got in my head I can't stop thinking about having a moonphase complication, there's an almost nostalgic beauty in a mechanical mini representation of the night sky on your wrist.

Wow that is a beauty, used to hate the moonphase but done it right it fights, and looks beautiful. Will definitely try to get my hands on this watch!

adelante

whatsinaname said:
Haven't worn a watch for about 10 years now. Saw this and had to get it. And now that Retro Icon thing looks tempting as well. :D

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2009/08/fossil-analog-dial-watch.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]
that looks nice...I think my next watch will be a Fossil...got this bout a month ago, my first watch in like 5 years, I like the typeface on it...

[IMG]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/640913136_7Q97L-O.jpg

Anyone ever order anything from ChronoShark? Are they legit? I've seen some nice (and expensive) watches on that site go for some insane deals. Like, a watch that is normally $500 going for $59. The watch has to be a knockoff, right?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
U K Narayan said:
Anyone ever order anything from ChronoShark? Are they legit? I've seen some nice (and expensive) watches on that site go for some insane deals. Like, a watch that is normally $500 going for $59. The watch has to be a knockoff, right?
Most "private Labels" as Invicta and the like feature insane/ridiculous list prices to make such deals affordable. Any "real" brand wouldn't be had at such a discount, even Swatches don't go at any reasonable discount. Rule of thumb in the watch world: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Ptaaty

OnkelC said:
Most "private Labels" as Invicta and the like feature insane/ridiculous list prices to make such deals affordable. Any "real" brand wouldn't be had at such a discount, even Swatches don't go at any reasonable discount. Rule of thumb in the watch world: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

There are many great deals there, on numerous brands. Tags, Citizen Ecodrives, Seikos, Bulova, Movado and a number of other brands, even some of the higher ends (more rare).

The last 5 deals have all been the brands you speak of, but there are some awesome prices on great watches as well, they just aren't featured as often.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice watches. The Seiko is a classic, and no words need to be spoken about the classic Zenith.

I was craving one of these lately:
0013.jpg

13.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

img_2099.jpg

Admittedly, they are an acquired taste. The first time I saw them, I was like "LOL machinery prototype", but two years later, I really dig the design...

I got this one lately. It's my first watch since 16 years. I don't know nothing about it though (exept that it is extremly robust and water resistant)

34774ew.jpg

15h03f9.jpg

255jak9.jpg

MickD

12570026155946.jpeg

Got this for $60. Put a metal band on it. Thinking about replacing (the band) with something else. Can't find the right one.

Help me, watch-GAF;

I'm looking for a nice watch within a reasonable budget (probably less than $100 USD). Requirements: classy and somewhat minimalist, not so huge as to look ridiculous on my small wrist.

I'm a watch noob, but I decided it was finally time to get one.

Top Bottom