• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Soybean

I just got this Citizen Eco-Drive watch with perpetual calendar. Despite how large and thick it is compared to my skinny wrists, I love it (my wrist must not be THAT bad; 2 of the removable links are still on the band).

I like how all the movements are discrete. I mean, it looks like an analog watch, but all the hands have discrete positions. So when you're setting the time, rotating the bezel doesn't just move the minute hand freely. The hand increments in whole minutes. It's basically a digital watch with an analog representation. Not as classy as a purely mechanical watch, but I love it.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Trying to rebuy one of these:

1.jpg

ebay_kronoforms.jpg

Sadly I hear they go for $200+ on eBay.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nomster said:
OnkelC do you have a recommendation for a single automatic watch winder?
I'd pay the local jeweller a visit. make sure that it winds in both directions and has an interval switch.

Does someone want to buy me a Nomos Tangente?

I really like their classic and basic style. But damn are they expensive. :(
It doesnt get any cheaper than the prices on their homepage, or does it?

The Nomos Ludwig looks quite nice, too:

D_201_Ludwig_FRONT.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Graf Nudu said:
Does someone want to buy me a Nomos Tangente?

I really like their classic and basic style. But damn are they expensive. :(
It doesnt get any cheaper than the prices on their homepage, or does it?

The Nomos Ludwig looks quite nice, too:

D_201_Ludwig_FRONT.jpg
I can give you one for free. Have to charge you 2.5k EUR for shipping, though.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Graf Nudu said:
You live in Bonn, right? I could pick it up there, so you wouldn't need to ship it.
Actually, I am a Nigerian Prince and need the shipping money for a greater good...

Truant

I don't know anything about watches, but I got this Tag Heuer form my dad as a gift.

China_Product_C2007116144132725964_TAG_Heuer_Men_s_2000_Aquaracer_Watch_WAF1113_BA0801.jpg

Any good?

EDIT: I'm not sure if that's exactly the same, but it looks sorta similar to the one I got.

To the guys that say they have skinny wrists, what are some good watches to buy that won't look HUGE.

Most of the ones I am looking at are too big I think (Like the Citizen Blue Angels Skyhawk or Tag Aquaracer 2000). Also, I don't want to pay over $1k on a watch.

BTW, I have 6 inch wrists (I just measured with tape measure.) I would find it hard to believe someone much smaller than that.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
with 6inch wrists, I'd go for a watch diameter of 38mm, 40mm max. There are several options around, make sure that the lugs are angled a bit so they will fit snug around your wrist.

SUPREME1

Banned
Amazon is having some deals on watches for Father's Day. Just ordered this G-Shock for $55.99

I've been needing a watch I can wear while Golfing or other activities and this fits the bill.

I once had a G-Shock which I took off during a basketball game and left with some stuff courtside, someone stole it. :\

Anyway, I think this is a good deal.

132130169_4172736935_o.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RoodyPooUS said:
To the guys that say they have skinny wrists, what are some good watches to buy that won't look HUGE.

Most of the ones I am looking at are too big I think (Like the Citizen Blue Angels Skyhawk or Tag Aquaracer 2000). Also, I don't want to pay over $1k on a watch.

BTW, I have 6 inch wrists (I just measured with tape measure.) I would find it hard to believe someone much smaller than that.
yeah that's about what i'm at, maybe 6.25"

spoon!

God, forgot all about this thread :lol

Between now and then, I've bought a submariner LV, a speedmaster pro, and a speedmaster pro gemini. Might post pics later :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
spoon! said:
God, forgot all about this thread :lol

Between now and then, I've bought a submariner LV, a speedmaster pro, and a speedmaster pro gemini. Might post pics later :p
do it.

Great thread, I only just caught this. There are some beautiful pieces here.

In preperation for a diving holiday in three weeks in Cozumel, I bought an Omega Seamaster Pro yesterday after some reccomendations. It's very chunky, but that's the point I suppose (the size of it seems to be growing on me though). I love the colur scheme too and it feels fantastic on my wrist, like it's glued there, although this shouldn't be a surprise given its weight. One of the best automatics I've used after first impressions. Sorry for the poor pics, they're best I can do right now.

1ovkea.jpg

4tuele.jpg

I've got a Milgauss 116400 GV at home which I use on a semi-regular basis since I bought it for work which sometimes involves being near large magnetic fields. I've also got a
fake
Breitling Navitimer 103(?) which I've had for years. :lol

I'll try to post more pictures if I can get back home in the next few weeks before I leave for Mexico.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
movado_m_b2.jpg

Been rocking this one for years, although my fiancee LOST her corresponding piece a while back.

spoon!

OnkelC said:
As you wish! I dont have much time tonight, so heres a few quick snaps. Apologies for the poor shots, the lighting in my room isn't ideal. I'll try to get some shots during the day next weekend with natural lighting :p

Anyway to start with, all three of the lovely ladies....
united.jpg

Closer shot of the Omega Speedmaster Pro. I bought this one for my dad. The AD didnt have any more at the store, so this one came straight from the factory in Biel. A little history behind the watch..The Speedmaster, nicknamed the 'Moonwatch', was the first watch worn on the moon. The first watch qualified for extra-vehicular use by NASA, it survived a range of physical tests, such as being able to sustain forces of 7G's, extreme temperature fluctuations, shock and vibrations. Of all the watches purchased by NASA for testing, this was the only one that survived. More details around the testing here: http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=239&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1122&tx_ttnews[backPid]=224
speedmaster.jpg

Next is the Speedmaster Pro Gemini. A limited edition of the Speedmaster to celebrate it's 40th anniversary, distinguished by its blue face and bezel, as well as the rhodium hands and dials. The Omega logo is also now applied, instead of being printed. The back of the watch features the space patch of the first moon walk, as well as the watch number. Only 2005 of these were ever made.
gemini.jpg

geminiback.jpg

And finally, the piece that got me started - The Rolex Submariner LV 16610. The Lunette Vert is an anniversary edition of the timeless Submariner. With a couple of disguishing features. First and most obviously, is the green bezel. I fell in love with it because the green was something a little different, and it just set the rest of the watch off nicely. Was a little concerned that the green was a bit much for formal wear, but after looking at it in person, theres nothing 'loud' about the colour. Hard to show it with a photo, but the way it reflects light gives it a lovely range of greens. Second and less obvious is that it carries Rolex's new maxi dials, just another small tweak to make the watch a bit easier to read.
lv.jpg

That's it for now.

olore

Fine timepieces allround mates.

My watches:
three.jpg

To the left a TAG Heuer Super Professional 1000m on a black NATO-strap.
In the middle, a german made Sinn EZM3.
And to the right my newest aqcuisition, a rare IWC Aquatimer of the no more made 3536 model. In steel to be specific. These were also made in titanium. A very beautiful and classic timepiece.

But, the 16600 looms in the horizon... :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Argh.

Today Chronoshark has this badboy for sale:
429.jpg

$299 from a retail price of $795. I ended up buying a Lucien Piccard and another Invicta off of them within the last few weeks, but this one has me extremely tempted. What does watch-gaf think? I do have a black tie event coming up on Friday, so it'd be cool to have it for then... argh.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm already looking ahead to my next trip to Singapore in September, and starting to research my next possible watch purchase.

Given I might then have the beginnings of a collection on my hands, I was wondering whether anyone was using a case to hold their own collection? If so, pics or recommendations?

StuBurns

Banned
I have an Omega Speedmaster, not the pro, the smaller one with the automatic movement, but it's a little wreaked, needs sending in I think. I've already broke it once though, not sure if I can be bothered.

I want this though. Doubt I'll ever buy it.

25.jpg

Yasser

Wellington said:
Argh.

Today Chronoshark has this badboy for sale:
429.jpg

$299 from a retail price of $795. I ended up buying a Lucien Piccard and another Invicta off of them within the last few weeks, but this one has me extremely tempted. What does watch-gaf think? I do have a black tie even coming up on Friday, so it'd be cool to have it for then... argh.
that is fucking gorgeous!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Awesome collection Spoon! I think the Speedmaster is the nicest Omega.

Also, I love the Aquatimer 3536...very very nice!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Alright fuckit, I ordered the Movado.

So within the last two weeks, I have ordered off of Chronoshark:

00005355.jpeg
424.jpg
429.jpg

I am going to delete the bookmark, spending way too much money on this. :lol Should be getting the Lucien today. I've had the Invicta for about a week - I like it, but I should have known that the 44 mm face was going to be too bold, I feel like a freakin' rapper with it on.

cilonen

I got my Speedy Pro in the first half of the year after a long time coveting.

I really like the style of the Bell & Ross instruments - BR01 and BR03 but they're really fashion watches styled to look like mission timers from the SR-71 Blackbird rather than having any aeronautical or piloting history.

I'd also go for a Rolex GMT Master II in steel, with the pepsi-can bezel if I could find one second hand and for a reasonable price (I'm not so keen on the newest GMT II with the black bezel), and it has proper aeronautical history, being a result of Pan-Am requesting Rolex design a model so it's pilots could keep track of time on intercontinental flight.

Then there's the Seiko SBDB001 Prospex (Google it!) probably the ultimate diving watch, 600m, GMT hand, Spring Drive, Titanium; what's not to like? The Spring Drive mechanism fascinates me, and IMO this is the nicest functional watch it comes in (I'm not big on dress watches).

If I do have enough funds to start a collection someday then those three will be my next places to look; but I've always wanted a Speedy, and actually having saved the money and being free enough of commitments to make a dream come true felt wonderful. If I never have another watch, I'll be a happy man.

olore

cilonen: My sentiments exactly regarding B&R watches. They feel a tad too fashiony (new word, yay) and without any proper history. Fashion toolwatches, who would`ve thought?

The Prospex-Seiko is a monster.

Azar

I've had one of these since 10th grade in high school, I think. I still wear it and love it.

92494.jpg

It's a Swatch, from when they did a bunch of watches commemorating the James Bond movies. From Russia Wish Love edition.

cilonen

Like the internet doesn't have enough pictures of Speedy Pros; here's mine :lol

A bit blurry as I didn't feel like getting the tripod out and setting things up properly.

speedy_pro316.jpg

cilonen

olore said:
cilonen: My sentiments exactly regarding B&R watches. They feel a tad too fashiony (new word, yay) and without any proper history. Fashion toolwatches, who would`ve thought?

The Prospex-Seiko is a monster.

Good to hear I'm not the only one a bit confused by B&R's positioning! They're massive too, even the BR03 which is supposed to be the smaller one (and have the same diameter as the speedy IIRC) is absolutely freaking enormous when you see it in person and try it on.

tombur

Decision time. I have about 250/300 GBP to spend on a nice watch, preferably chronograph. I have shortlisted some of these but if anyone has any more ideas similar to these below then please help!

Christopher Ward C7 Rapide
225 GBP
C7SKK.jpg

Christopher Ward C7 Rapide
250 GBP
C7SKS.jpg

Tissot PRC200
225 GBP
o_EBqoZLdIpvAXZvJ.jpg

Seiko Gents Chronograph - SND721P1
165 GBP
SND721P1.jpg

I also like the look of this Swiss Certina watch, however I cant find a UK retailer that sells them.

C53670294265-1.jpg

Tf53

I can't afford a fraction of the watches here, but I did buy a new watch for my wedding day. I was looking for a low profile watch with a round simplistic clockface and black leather strap. Then, as I was flying back from London, I spotted this in the on-flight sales brochure:

233xxlslb-1.jpg

233XXLSLB_1.jpg

I think I'm getting another new watch from the missus on the morning after our wedding. I hope I can control this weird urge to buy some more. I can't afford this shit! :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
olore said:
Fine timepieces allround mates.

My watches:
three.jpg

To the left a TAG Heuer Super Professional 1000m on a black NATO-strap.
In the middle, a german made Sinn EZM3.
And to the right my newest aqcuisition, a rare IWC Aquatimer of the no more made 3536 model. In steel to be specific. These were also made in titanium. A very beautiful and classic timepiece.

But, the 16600 looms in the horizon... :D
Hello, fellow dive watch lover! :) a niche, thought-out collection. you won't get around the 16600, i tried as well, but couldn't resist... :lol :lol :lol

smallP1040068.jpg

smallP1040071.jpg

Peru

My dream watch is an IWC Portuguese..

IWCPortuguese_front6.jpg

, but it's so many years ahead, when I've got a steady income and cash to burn. Also perhaps I'll stumble over a deal someday. Btw, it's a close race between some of the Baume & Mercier models and this, with B&M being cheaper, but I can't help I'd regret my watch not being a Portuguese if I ever doled out for a B&M.

Meanwhile, in more realistic territory, I'm looking at getting a Stowa (probably Antea Kleine Sekunde) this year (christmas). Stowa fits my idea of an elegant watch, and it seems those who own ones are satisfied with the build.

b16.jpg

Peru

(ongoing conversation with myself)

I actually tried on the Portuguese today and it's just too big for my wrist. I've found a new goal, the Longines Master Collection Moonphase Automatic Chronograph:

100_0278_edited-1.jpg

P1010928.jpg

I mean, that's just unbelievably beautiful. Best looking Longines by a mile, and it's half the price of the IWC, so it's almost 'affordable'. 40 mm width. Once the idea got in my head I can't stop thinking about having a moonphase complication, there's an almost nostalgic beauty in a mechanical mini representation of the night sky on your wrist.

The_Joint

breit01.jpg

I like this one a lot but I don't wear it as much because it so heavy. Sometimes I switch the band between this and the Navitimer or Cosmonaut.

The_Joint

This is the watch I make. I source the movements from Switzerland or they are rescued from old pocket watches.
I get the bands from Hong Kong, the cases are made to spec in Germany, the hands are made to spec in Switzerland and the dials are produced from my design in the U.K.

front01.jpg

The basic movement is produced and finished in Switzerland:

back01.jpg

I have some fancy movements, hand engraved, that come out of Hong Kong:

back02.jpg

And then there are the "rescued" movements that come from old pocket watches.
I completely dissassemble the movement, clean it and adjust, occassionally replacing some parts (usually the mainspring).
I think some of them quite nice and I find it interesting to have a 30-50 year old watch movement in a modern watch. YMMV

back03.jpg

One thing I do with all the watches is use engine-turned crown and ratchet wheels. I also blue all of the screws by hand.

Top Bottom