• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt

I hope that GAF would never normalize GG bigotry, the forum has never been about providing a platform for that. We just need to ride out the storm for a few days and the trolls will move on to their next target, with the forum hopefully remaining under the auspices of a stringent moderation system.

The thing is, those mods all left to virtue signal against Tyler. Whether you think he deserves it or not, it happened. Now, it really doesn't mean everything is going to suddenly devolve into hysterical 4chan bullshit, have a little more faith in your community.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The thing is, those mods all left to virtue signal against Tyler. Whether you think he deserves it or not, it happened. Now, it really doesn't mean everything is going to suddenly devolve into hysterical 4chan bullshit, have a little more faith in your community.

Yeah the quality of posts and moderation on display for the past few hours really inspire a lot of faith.

What hope is there exactly when any kind of talk that would support women/minorities/LGBT will now be banned on this site?

Not only that, but so many good people have left the site. What kind of "community" are we now?

Trey

You characterize it as virtue signaling whereas Evilore characterized it as mods wanting to maintain anonymity and avoid doxxing, and the Kotaku and Waypoint articles which have direct mod quotes cite that they were unhappy with Evilore's leadership decisions for a while and unsatisfied with his response to this situation.

Why is that?

If you guys didn't just label dissent with bad buzzwords and completely discredit them, you might actually acquire more information.

Funny that you say this.

But according to posts prior to GAF being momentarily shut down, the moderation team quit in fear of being doxxed. That's not virtue signaling at all!

Yeah the quality of posts and moderation on display for the past few hours really inspire a lot of faith.

I respect your opinion, yet I disagree. I'm speaking truth and I'm pretty specific in my choice of words. If you have any contention with what I say, you can always continue down the dialog tree instead of deflecting with a sarcastic remark. I have a feeling that initiating a dog pile isn't going to work this time.

It's funny because I'm not the one that sees's it as black and white, you are.

You literally just said bad views as if you have the individual power to determine what is bad and what is good.

My point about Trump was to show that really it wasnt about what the poster asked. It was about who he directed it towards. In other words the validity of the question was never actually examined and discussed. It was dismissed and the poster was banned

You literally just said people don't get banned for insulting Trump even though the reasons for insulting him are because his ideas are bad and he's a bad person. You equated Trump to a feminist who only wanted you to empathize with what women struggle with in the game industry.

You know why he was banned. You just don't care. I get your shtick. ;)

I do believe bad views deserve to be listened to.

It's how you determine what the correct views are.

This is stupid. We call them bad ideas because we have already listened to them and know they're bad. We know gassing Jews is bad but we don't need to hear arguments for almost 80 years later. Same with Civil Rights. Same with treating women with respect.

But hey, enjoy yourself. You don't seem keen on doing anything but having discussions and instead of doing action... you know, the thing you do after having a discussion.

You're still here with your constant "virtue signaling" and "culture war" bullshit, so their faith in the community should in fact be at it's lowest.

RinsFury

It doesn't matter if people aren't openly misogynistic. One of their primary goals was to remove even the discussion of things like female representation in gaming which is what this no politics bs amounts to.

I'm still not ready to give up on this community, time will tell what direction this forum will take

But according to posts prior to GAF being momentarily shut down, the moderation team quit in fear of being doxxed. That's not virtue signaling at all!

Could those possibly be... untrue?? Could they be, true yet irrelevant? I'm suggesting that some mods left to virtue signal, not all. You can see the actual virtue signalling on social media.

You're still here with your constant "virtue signaling" and "culture war" bullshit, so their faith in the community should in fact be at it's lowest.

You can refer to my last post. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252774604&postcount=260

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

BadAss2961

You guys act like people who got dogpiled or banned in OT posted well-reasoned and thoughtful arguments from a conservative position. That's not what it was like at all. And I spent 99.9% of my time in OT, instead of just occasionally drifting over there.

The majority of those people didn't have good conservative arguments they were just being lazily contrarian. Like you post some actual statistics about private enterprise and capitalism having demonstrable benefits to standards of living and nobody would dog pile you for that. I know, because I've done that.
Dogpiling would usually turn to ban-baiting. Some groups would look to do it at the slightest challenge to their bubble, and often it would work.

Extreme cases, and users just outright being disrespectful aside, people should feel free to share opinions that may be unpopular without fear of catching a ban. Clown them if they deserve it, but don't silence people. That's how echo chambers happen -- we definitely had a problem with those.

I respect your opinion, yet I disagree. I'm speaking truth and I'm pretty specific in my choice of words. If you have any contention with what I say, you can always continue down the dialog tree instead of deflecting with a sarcastic remark. I have a feeling that initiating a dog pile isn't going to work this time.

Christ am I participating in a Turing Test right now? Why would I initiate a dog pile?

It's also not empty sarcasm, it's an invitation to actually look around.

Dogpiling would usually turn to ban-baiting. Some groups would look to do it at the slightest challenge to their bubble, and often it would work.

Extreme cases, and users just outright being disrespectful aside, people should feel free to share opinions that may be unpopular without fear of catching a ban. Clown them if they deserve it, but don't silence people. That's how echo chambers happen -- we definitely had a problem with those.

I really wish we could thumbs up/down individual posts.

Thumbs up by the way.

Christ am I participating in a Turing Test right now? Why would I initiate a dog pile?

It's also not empty sarcasm, it's an invitation to actually look around.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump is president and Republicans control every branch of government despite drifting further and further right.

Sorry if I don't share your optimism thanks to polls. If anything, what's going on right now on this forum parallels the fact that people hide their shitty views until they feel it safe to reveal them.

That's honestly what surprised me the most about this forum going up in flames. I was on vacation when it happened and had to check Twitter to figure out what was going on... there were a lot of accounts from recognizable gaf members suddenly celebrating about how this was karmic justice because gaf was a "leftist echo chamber" where they couldn't "speak their mind." Dudes that lived and breathed this forum everyday suddenly acting like oppressed victims because the stringent moderation meant they couldn't play devil's advocate for racism or derail every thread to being about how Anita Sarkessian is actually a huge bitch. You think you know some people.

conman

What hope is there exactly when any kind of talk that would support women/minorities/LGBT will now be banned on this site?

Not only that, but so many good people have left the site. What kind of "community" are we now?
I think you’ve answered your own question. Many of us are taking this as an opportunity to say our (long overdue) farewells to the site.

Jeels

That's honestly what surprised me the most about this forum going up in flames. I was on vacation when it happened and had to check Twitter to figure out what was going on... there were a lot of accounts from recognizable gaf members suddenly celebrating about how this was karmic justice because gaf was a "leftist echo chamber" where they couldn't "speak their mind." Dudes that lived and breathed this forum everyday suddenly acting like oppressed victims because the stringent moderation meant they couldn't play devil's advocate for racism or derail every thread to being about how Anita Sarkessian is actually a huge bitch. You think you know some people.

Ya it has really been an eye opener.

Plenty of leftists/liberals or whatever felt like they couldn't speak their minds.
The forum toxicity/self-eating extends far beyond political lines or lines of any other group.

ckaneo

You literally just said people don't get banned for insulting Trump even though the reasons for insulting him are because his ideas are bad and he's a bad person. You equated Trump to a feminist who only wanted you to empathize with what women struggle with in the game industry.

You know why he was banned. You just don't care. I get your shtick. ;)

I said that the poster shouldnt have been banned, I know why. My argument has always been against the overmoderation on this forum. And you are just making my point for me.

It also is crazy to me that the OT is the place that got targeted for all the vitriol when honestly the toxic culture of the gaming side was far worse and that really had nothing to do with politics. Trashing community people when they were trying to get community feedback is far worse for the site than someone talking about how they think there should be more lgbt representation in gaming

The toxic knee-jerk reactions extend far past "politics" and the attempt to shut down certain discussions seems tailored to deflect more than anything

You all obviously have the option to leave, I don't think you should though. There's too much histrionics, chill out, it's not the end of Gaf that's silly.

Look at all the things you've ascribed to me now with your buzzwords, yet you know nothing about me. How charitable.

You can share unpopular opinions. You were even allowed to make pro-Trump threads. You had to be reasonable and articulate your position, though, which they never did.

Diablos was a Trump fan and wasn't banned because he liked Trump. Dude navigated his toxic ways without being banned. Y'all were just scared to say your minds because you 100% know you would say something that deserved a ban.

You guys silenced yourselves. Deal with it.

Novoitus

Banned

The only people who couldn't feel like they could speak their mind were racists and sexists?

Stop. If anything what happened here was a good thing it was to stop more people who think like you.

This.

Trey

You can share unpopular opinions. You were even allowed to make pro-Trump threads. You had to be reasonable and articulate your position, though, which they never did.

Diablos was a Trump fan and wasn't banned because he liked Trump. Dude navigated his toxic ways without being banned. Y'all were just scared to say your minds because you 100% know you would say something that deserved a ban.

shatterjager played that game too. Let's just say there's a finesse that most folks of that mold don't possess.

You all obviously have the option to leave, I don't think you should though. There's too much histrionics, chill out, it's not the end of Gaf that's silly.

Look at all the things you've ascribed to me now with your buzzwords, yet you know nothing about me. How charitable.

At this point in time, GAF doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. I'm already seeing plenty of people with awful views coming out of the woodwork without any kind of repercussions coming to them. This is not what I came to GAF for; if I wanted to be dehumanized I'd just go to GameFAQs.

No it's just the end of what made the site unique and interesting

Also maybe if you weren't intentionally cryptic to cultivate some weird "above to all" image it would be easier to understand where you were coming from?

Novoitus

Banned
At this point in time, GAF doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. I'm already seeing plenty of people with awful views coming out of the woodwork without any kind of repercussions coming to them. This is not what I came to GAF for; if I wanted to be dehumanized I'd just go to GameFAQs.

True. I don't want my views challenged so I'm just going to leave. Seems like the proper sentiment for most of the GAF users who lived and loved under the hive mind type thinking.

Thumbs fucking Up

"Straight, white, and male."

As a white male, seeing it come to that is sad af

EMT0

Banned

Here I was, just about to post about Diablos. You can be a Trump supporter and not get banned. Not everybody else's fault that supporting Trump near equivocally equates with being an A-grade jackass with awful views.

True. I don't want my views challenged so I'm just going to leave. Seems like the proper sentiment for most of the GAF users who lived and loved under the hive mind type thinking.

My status as a human being is not up for debate. Are you being fucking serious with this?

Striek

I visited this forum most days, haven't left, don't use twitter and think this whole thing is a beat-up but damn man, OT was brutal with dissenting opinions at times.

I mean, I think even if the story is 100% true with no nuance, its not that big a deal, relatively trivial mistakes were made that shouldn't go further than the two individuals involved, move on. But that would be a vile, disgusting, enabling, woman-hating stance to some progressives and an almost guaranteed ban in OT.

The only people who couldn't feel like they could speak their mind were racists and sexists?

Stop. If anything what happened here was a good thing it was to stop more people who think like you.

The fuck are you talking about? If by "more people who think like you," you mean people that aren't pieces of shit, how is it a good thing to stop them from coming here?

aliengmr

This is true. It was a high bar to be sure, you couldn't half ass a post/thread like that, but eventually they would fuck up. Shitposting is an easy trap to fall into.

Hell, I've probably written triple the posts I've actually made and I don't have any controversial views.

And just like I said, an LGBTs humanity somehow is political, therefore trying to have any kind of discussion withoit that just strips them of who they are.

Top Bottom