• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Rpgs (2011 edition)

DaBuddaDa

Lostconfused said:
I don't know if I should post my list. Because after trying to come up with reasons for listing the games it turns out that I liked most of them for their setting and story.
Just post it. This is a cumulative collaboration, nobody is going to pick apart any specific list. If your list is Final Fantasy 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and 10, that's fine.

aktham said:
If you guys want to get technical, ALL videogames are role-playing games. IMO Diablo is an RPG. I simply consider it WRPG, because it's so different from the RPGs I prefer.

WRPGs,for whatever reason, just don't flow well story wise for me. If I had to narrow it down, it's because the main character always seems like a shell (that's you're supposed to imagine yourself as that shell).
There are tons of JRPGs main characters that don't have personality whatsoever. Dragon Quest in particular, until they remove the choice between male and female...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, at this point I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have two lists, one for JRPGs and one for WRPGs - which is a distinction based on style, not neccessarily nation of origin - as I think that the two approaches are diverging considerably now as is to whom these titles appeal.

Philia

In NO SPECIFIC ORDER... my brain will explode.

1. Dragon Warrior III for nes - This is the jrpg that got me into the rpg genre. Period. There's so many things about this game that I loved so much there's not enough space on here for it. But yes, its my first Dragon Warrior/Quest game to love and to beat via rental.
2. Tales of Phantasia for snes - The first rpg with an unique take on a battle system for me. Memorable spritework to tracks made this game a constant recommendation.
3. Opoona - Wholly refreshing rpg to the staple Dragon Quest fanfare with additional surprises and a much sweeter gameplay to boot.
4. Final Fantasy IV for snes - My first Final Fantasy. I shit you not. I don't even remember touching the first one on nes before this, but nevertheless, it was very memorable the first 10 minutes in. You'd think I was wow'ed by the air balloon travel in Dragon Warrior IV, but the airship theme within those first few minutes were glorious. Totally worth a few months worth of fasting lunches to save my lunch money for.
5. Phantasy Star III - This was my first Phantasy Star. The memory of playing this via rental for Christmas day was profound enough to staple this to a list of must replay (something of a rarity with me). In particular most tracks were powerful enough for me to be attached to them. Especially the variations of battles music (Easy, normal and hard opportunities!).
6. Phantasy Star IV - This is where I not only still loved Ippo for their tracks, but definitely loved the overall improvements in the series.
7. Suikoden II - The whole story arc in this game was sheer phenomenal enough to just hang it up on rpg plots in whole. Best in a while.
8. Valkyrie Profile - The music, sprite work, and that glorious battle system. :D I loved this game for how it really tests your understanding in exploiting the gems in the battles. The timing in combos to understanding how to "juggle" the enemies to make them drop gems/crystals to awesome awesome awesome ending skill moves. This is the game that made me spoiled for the rpg battle system.
9. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean- Just like in Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Phantasia, I fell in love with this game's battle system. Great music, great backdrops, and definitely engaging card battles. (NM the VA lol).
10. Ultima VII - Loved this one quite a bit for it to be my first wrpg. It was the first for me to be able to loot anything! I knew I've been looking in SO many drawers in Dragon Quest games but this game literally had it all in EVERYTHING! And believe me, I'm a fan of being able to do so! Best part? You can stuff your friend's corpse into a sack and revive him before Lord British! :D

Honorable mentions:
Dragon Warrior VII
Final Fantasy VI
Star Ocean II
Chrono Trigger
Lufia II
Mother 3
Legend of the Ghost Lion
Xenogears
Popolocrois
Paladin's Quest
Legend of Mana
Arc the Lad II
Shining Force II

1. Earthbound: Simply the most enjoyable game ever made. The world is charming, with each location having its own unique feel, and the soundtrack is to die for. On top of that, the battle system is one of the all time greats. Features like the rolling health bars (allowing you to heal a character before they die) and automatically winning fights against weak opponents when you're revisiting old areas need to be implemented in more games. The crappy inventory system is the only real thing I can dock against it.

2. Mother 3: In many ways, Mother 3 takes what I loved about Earthbound and improves on it. The battle system keeps all the great parts, and adds in the rhythm based elements to shake things up more. Additionally, the story is much stronger in Mother 3, with lots of great emotional moments and well fleshed out characters. However, the world isn't nearly as diverse as Earthbound, and there's not a lot of exploring to be done. For that reason, I still prefer Earthbound.

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4: Persona 4 is the game that I always wanted to play, and it lived up to my imaginary game in every way. The game does an amazing job at portraying that small town feel, and the characters are all extraordinarily well developed. I think the cast in Persona 4 (both the main party and the supporting cast) is easily the strongest in any video game. The game play is another big win for the game, with the mix between dungeon crawling and socializing being very strong. The difficulty level is also just about right; the game challenged me, but never left me feeling overly frustrated.

4. Final Fantasy IX: Still the pinnacle of the Final Fantasy series, with a charming cast and an absolutely gorgeous soundtrack. The world of Final Fantasy IX is whimsical and fun to explore as well, and the game has a number of interesting mechanics at work which make it really excel.

5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: The Thousand Year Door easily has one of the most enjoyable combat systems ever developed. The mixture of timing based attacks (never done better) with traditional turn based elements is absolutely perfect here. In addition to that, the story is well told. The writing is fun, but the game also manages to get the tension up at the appropriate moments, and the characters all come across very well. They also manage to break up the main parts of the game with other fun things to do, which always keeps the flow of the game strong.

6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: As a Star Wars junkie, there's not much better than this. Getting to explore the Star Wars galaxy with a memorable cast of characters, and make choices which actually affect what is going on is an incredible experience. Each of the locations you visit are well fleshed out, as well. I just wish that the decisions I was making had carried more (or any) weight once I actually got to the end game.

7. Final Fantasy XIII: Probably the most enjoyable battle system I have ever had the fortune to play. FF XIII easily proves that you can make a fast paced RPG without having to dumb things down for players. In fact, it actually winds up making things more strategic than a lot of previous games in the series were. The world they craft in the game is also really well done, and the characters are all well developed and actually change over the course of the story in meaningful ways, which is a big plus.

8. Mass Effect 2: While the combat is still crap, and I dislike some of the ways the game was streamlined, Mass Effect 2 finally gave me what I could only dream of while playing the original Mass Effect. Getting to visit massive worlds and having tons of people to talk to (unlike the first game where you spend most of your time on remote outposts and uncharted worlds) was an incredible experience. On top of that, the cast of Mass Effect 2 is great, especially Mordin and Thane. If Bioware can just take what they learned here and beef up the customization for 3, they'll deliver a great experience.

9. Mass Effect: Despite the weak combat, Mass Effect manages to make my list by virtue of the story and the experience. Bioware did a great job in creating a really interesting and fleshed out universe. Getting to explore places like the Citadel is awesome, and the story kept me moving along throughout the ride. That's to say nothing of the absolutely incredible soundtrack for the game.

10. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep: The perfect evolution of everything that the Kingdom Hearts series had been up until this point. The combat is far better than any previous game in the series, and finally not having to mess around with the D-pad during combat is extremely refreshing. It's also very nice to see new worlds for the first time since 2006. I do wish that some of the world's had been a little longer, but they're still generally well implemented. The command board is also highly addictive, and I wasted many hours just playing around on there.

There are a lot more games that I wish I could include on this list, but I feel like these 10 games are all highly deserving of being here.

Let me preface this by saying I missed out entirely on the golden age of PC WRPG's and the SNES, so this list is representative of my personal experience. It's also really in no particular order.

1. Final Fantasy 1 (NES) - For many console gamers in America this game, more so than Dragon Warrior, was their first introduction into the RPG genre and its many fundamentals that are taken for granted now, such as a party system, HP, MP and turn-based battles. For me, it is what got me into the genre.

2. Phantasy Star IV - With it's anime-inspired story board cutscenes, optional side quests and hunts, vehilce combat and sci-fi presentation it not only showed the full evolution of the Phantasy Star series, but foreshadowed for me the evolution of th JRPG genre.

3. Lunar - An excellent traditional JRPG with voice acting and cutscenes long before such elements of JRPG's were standard.

4. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - My first real WRPG that showed that the traditional PC-centric genre could find a home on a console. It also has perhaps the best Star Wars story line outside of the original trilogy.

5. Final Fantasy Tactics - While it wasn't the first SRPG, it perfectly melded that atmosphere of the Tactics Ogre series with Final Fantasy. It was also challenging, but thankfully, far more easily exploitable that Tactics Ogre.

6. Xenogears - A sci-fi epic filled with religious symbolism, crucificed robots and a story that includes great allusions to existential philosopy and soylent green. It was so epic they couldn't even finish he last disc.

7. Dragon Quest VIII - A love letter to people who grew up playing traditional JRPG's like Final Fantsy 1. The story is also light hearted and fun. Great side quests and no filler.

8. Dragon Age Origins - Hated by some, for a console a gamer, I loved it.

9. Valkyria Chronicles - Beautiful art style with a completely unique and fun take on SRPG gameplay mechanics.

10. Mass Effect 2 - While the story is not as engaging as Mass Effect 1 and there are those that will decry its lack of RPG-ness, it showed that you could actually have combat in a WRPG that didn't suck and could at the same time appeal to more broader audience.

Thinking about it, Chrono Trigger is really the only "RPG" RPG I own... There's games like Warcraft III with RPG elements, and borderline debatable cases like Zelda, but Chrono Trigger is really the only game I own that falls squarely in the RPG genre (I say "own" because I'm not counting demos etc.). So I guess I'll just say Chrono Trigger.

Ninja edit: forgot about Pokémon... I guess those games get a vote too, but really Chrono Trigger is the one I want to highlight.

The_Technomancer said:
Heh, I like Avernum, but Geneforge managed such awesome world building, feelings of exploration of an alien culture, and a good story that I like it more. Its probably the best I've ever seen a truly different culture of magic and society built, which is a large part of why it makes my list.

That's totally fair, I may have just burned myself on Spidweb games by playing 2 avernums, then nethergate before playing it.

Jokey665

1 Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - So good I've completed it over 150 times.
2 Final Fantasy VIII - The best FF game out there. Haters can eat a dick.
3 Final Fantasy V - The best 2D FF game out there.
4 Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - I love big numbers and the characters rock.
5 Pokemon 4th gen (D/P/Pt/HG/SS) - 4th gen really does stand out from all the previous ones in terms of quality, and that's saying a lot (well, not when compared with 3). If I can't pick the whole gen and have to pick one game it would be Platinum then, I think.
6 Planescape: Torment - 'nuff said
7 Diablo II - It's so addictive. And who doesn't like loot?
8 Etrian Odyssey - Possibly the best game on the DS. Old school glory.
9 The World Ends With You - The other contender for DS best game. Tons of new ideas that all work superbly.
10 Phantasy Star Online - I have a love-hate relationship with this game. I love this game but it fucking hates me because it's deleted my extremely high level characters twice now (due to corruption). I've sworn off playing it forever because of that but that doesn't change the fact that it's amazing.

cosmicblizzard said:
I have played A LOT of WRPGs. The only one that didn't put me to sleep was Diablo 2. Did I give all of them a fair chance? Probably not, but many I gave at least 2-3 hours. I am by no means a close minded person, I just don't find the genre fun. I'm not going to fault anyone for disliking JRPGs even if I think it's one of the most broad genres out there.

Diablo 2 is a click/lootfest. Which, not to say is not without its charms, doesn't have much in the way of depth. And that to me isn't as fun or satisfying as the Baldur's Gates or the Fallouts out there, for instance.

But hey, Bioware seems to be catering to those types with Dragon Age 2!

Ferro

hmm where to start, the list is not any kind of order of preferance, I dont really like ranking games in list.

Vampire the Masquarde Bloodlines
Fallout
Fallout 2
Planescape Tormnet
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Demon's Souls
Jade Empire
Okami
Odium/Gorky 17
Bioshock

I dont know if some of this games actually count for the highly coveted RPG categorization. Like Bioshock which was branded as the "spirtiual successor" to System Shock 2, and had a lot of SS2 elements the RPG mechanics were stripped down quite a bit. So is it still an RPG? I dont know...

Anyway, just take the ones that you think are ok to be called RPG.

jmdajr

I can only List what I have played but these are my most memorable. Not any order.

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Secret of Mana
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Y's Book I and 2 for my Turbografx cd!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK, I'll give it a shot. I'd rather leave them unranked, but I'll change that if needed

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
One of the most important titles in my history as a gamer. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has topped my experience playing it for the first time. As kid who only gamed on consoles, I couldn't believe that a game could big so big and so limitless in the freedom and exploration that it provides. I've played the game recently, and I'm still discovering new things. Plus, Vvardenfell was an awesome setting. It had some deep, interesting lore and I loved the variety of settings across the map like the blighted Red Mountain, the grand Vivec city, the otherworldly Telmora, the swamps of Seyda Neen...I could go on forever. Morrowind is not only my favorite RPG, but one of my most beloved games of all-time.

Demon's Souls Snuggler's Cream of the Crop Vote!
Immaculate. There isn't much to say about Demon's Souls that hasn't already been said, but it's the single most satisfying experience that I've had in any videogame. The boss battles had my hands trembling, my eyes dry from not blinking and I felt a unparalleled since of triumph from slaying those fuckers. It has a reputation for being difficult, but there is so much more to it. The combat is intense and rewards tact and patience, it's RPG aspects are very deep, the level design is great (so many hidden secrets) and I loved the setting. Bolertaria is a bleak, melancholy and incredibly memorable place. The best game of this generation, no contest.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
KOTOR was pretty much my dream game: a Star Wars RPG. It didn't feel like some average game with the Star Wars license slapped on, for me it's the best Star Wars story outside of the Original Trilogy. Love it.

Skies of Arcadia
Admittedly, it's been a very long time since I've played it, but Skies is my most fondly remembered JRPG. How couldn't love Vyse, Aika and Feena? A grand, wonderful adventure.

Fallout 3/New Vegas
I would probably have just listed New Vegas if I had been able to play the game more, but unfortunately my system died 40 hours in. Anyways, both are right up my alley. They're tense and atmospheric, deep and challenging at times. I don't really care that much about the stories or quests, it's all about setting a destination and enjoying the journey. It's best moments are those that are unique to the player's experience.

Mass Effect 1&2
I can't overstate how much I dig the Mass Effect universe. The species, the technology, the planets...it's all so slick and cool. Mass Effect 1 had the superior story, but it was held back by lousy combat and sloppy RPG elements but ME2 was a major improvement in the gameplay department, even if it's plot wasn't as memorable. Anyways, ME is probably the best new IP of this gen and I can't wait for the next one.

Pokemon Red
It's hard to choose just one of them, since they're all pretty much the same thing, but I went with Red because it's the one I played most. All these years later it's still a captivating and addictive series.

Phantasy Star Online (Sega Dreamcast)
Like Skies, it's been a long time since I've played this one, but there's no denying how awesome it was. My first and only experience with an online focused RPG, but that's probably a good thing since it pretty much consumed my life. Our parents hated it, since no one could call the house since we were using the phone line to play it all day. I don't even want to know how much time I sunk into this lovely game. It's also responsible for my single most tragic gaming moment: when my asshole brother saved over my beloved character, Timmy the Robot.

* I feel like I'm missing something, but whatever. There were a few games I've seen in this thread that I'd like to list but I don't necessarily consider them straight up RPG's, like Deus Ex and Valkyria Chronicles. I want to list Planescape, but it would be disingenuous since I haven't beaten it yet. My "true" list is still pending since there are a lot of classic CRPG's that I have yet to play, but that's something I plan on fixing soon.

Smo21

1. Final Fantasy 6 - First Rpg were i actually cared about the characters and what happened to them.

2. Starwars Knights of the Old Republic - I picked this game up for $15 cuz i need a game for Xbox… I thought it was an action game… To my surprise what i got was one of the best rpg's Ive played.

3. Final Fantasy Tactics - One of the only tactical rpgs vie played and enjoyed.

4. Chrono Trigger - Quirky and super fun. Love the battle system.

5. Secret of Mana - Multiplayer Rpg! Amazing!

6. Valrykie Profile - Battle system is sick. Liked the balance when it came to keeping or sending up characters.

7. Fallout 3 - The engine is ugly and everyone pierces your soul with a glare… but none of that stopped me from putting in 100+ hours

8. Pokemon Red/Blue - Probably my 1st rpg. This will always hold a special place in my heart.

9. Persona 4 - Just a solid rpg with a clever twist

10. Yakuza - Another case of mistaken genre. I really enjoyed the crazy story. There is something fun about beating a guy with a giant pylon.

1. Elders Scrolls 3: Morrowind
2. Icewind Dale 2
3. Baldurs Gate 2
4. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
5. Fallout 2
6. Fallout New Vegas
7. Grandia 2
8. FF6
9. Fallout 3
10. Pokemon D/P/P

rbenchley

These are not necessarily my favorites, but I would consider them "essential". In no particular order:

Phantasy Star: Pretty much introduced the JRPG to the West.

Dragon Quest: I'm not a huge fan of the series, but it's too huge to ignore.

Chrono Trigger: Huge improvement over the console RPGs that proceeded it. Great graphics, great music, great gameplay

Final Fantasy VII: The first RPG to really hit big in the West. Eastablished the series as a perennial contender for best graphics and music in any game in any genre.

Panzer Dragoon Saga: There still hasn't been a RPG as unique as PDS. Fantastic post-apocalyptic setting, haunting music and a wonderful battle system. As good as Orta was on the X-Box, I was dissapointed that they returned to the series' shooter roots (and all of the shooters are fantastic in their own right, Orta included) rather than continuing in Saga's footsteps as a role playing game.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Even if longtime fans prefer Morrowind, this one was the first to hit big and significantly expand the audience. Aside from the usual PC release, Oblivion also hit big on the 360 and PS3. Bsically, Oblivion was to WRPGs what FF VII was to JRPGs, expanding interest in WRPGs rather than being a small niche genre.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Revitalized WRPGs. I've always been more of a console/JRPG fan, but the Bioware games from KOTOR on rekindled my interest in WRPGs. For me, the Bioware games kind of split the difference between Eastern and Western style RPGs.

Ultima: the great grandaddy of RPGs

World of Warcraft: I loathe MMORPGs, but Blizzard has figured out the formula for designing an online RPG that appeals to just about everyone.

Pokemon: Another RPG series that I don't care for, but it is the best selling RPG series of all time and it figured out how to get kids interested in RPGs.

Mass Effect 1 (two points please) - Generic but extremely well told and interesting Sci Fi story along with excellent setting and great depth to the world.

Knights of the old republic - One of the best Star Wars stories since the original trilogy.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Great modern day setting based on the PnP game. It has some nice touches to make it feel like modern day along with stuff like radio shows and television and commercials. It’s very dark, characters will lie and dick you over and generally everything in the game is twisted and corrupted.

Baldur’s Gate II - Probably the best first chapter of any RPGI played, ignoring the first dungeon. Throws you right into the world if tons of things to do and places to explore and tells you to get to it. I guess because Bioware did as a straight sequel to BG1 it feels like you start straight in the middle of the game. The quests are long and detailed, with major rewards instead of just silly kill rats get health potion that most RPGs meander in. Also throwing all these quests at you right off the bat gives it better flow than BG1 or Planescape.

Never Winter Nights 2: Mask of The Betrayer – A well told story with good characters. It feels different from the standard Forgotten Realms cliché that a lot of DnD based games ended up being. Interesting quests along with a “morality” system that inst purely good and evil along with 3rd edition being the most familiar rule set to me, it made the game very enjoyable to play.

Chrono Trigger - I probably shouldn’t even list this in an RPG list, because honestly I could care less about RPG aspects of this game. I only played it for the first time on the DS several years ago. The way the story developed, some of the game mechanics or things that the game made you or the somewhat 4th wall breaking stuff was great. The game felt like a breath of fresh air, it was so different and original it was unlike anything else I experienced. I guess because today’s games became so formulaic and standard that everything old is new again.

Planescape: Torment – Original and totally out there characters and story. Although I feel like it suffers from pacing issues. Although its likely that it was my fault, several times in the game I got stuck and had no idea how to progress the story. Honestly it would almost be better as a book for me because I just want it to flow from one plot point to the next because when I lost momentum it completely killed my enjoyment of the game.

The Witcher – Another great take on dark/hard fantasy. Monsters and fantasy races like Dwarves and Elves inhabit the world in conflict with humanity. While the human world almost feels mundane with things like: corruption, crime, prostitution. It creates a rather interesting contrast. While not original the main character being an anti-hero gives the game another twist.

Persona 3:FES – I think I liked the overall storyline and characters a bit more in 3 than 4. I Loved the fact that a major portion of the game can be spent focusing on character interaction and developing social links.

Edit: I can't include Demon's Souls. It just doesn't feel like an rpg to me. Its a great game but its focus on skill, reaction, timing and learning patterns puts in the same category as Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.

thcsquad

1. Suikoden II - The story, gameplay, and soundtrack are masterpieces, and the beautiful 2d sprites still hold up today. Army and castle building, memorable characters, great character customization without being too complicated, and heart. All other RPGs (Japanese and Western) just fall short as a complete package.

2. Final Fantasy Tactics - This had me addicted for a long time. Coming up with character builds has never been more fun than in this game. Story was batshit insane, but I enjoyed it anyway.

3. Baldur's Gate - Character builds are almost as cool as in FFT, but engineering a great party is where this really shines. I don't even remember what went on in the story, but rampaging across the countryside and cautiously advancing through dungeons was hella-fun. Part of what made the gameplay so great was wandering around and randomly getting your ass kicked (by a non-boss, just some enemy who is higher level), then figuring out how to beat them, coming back, and exacting your revenge. A lot of RPGs only are challenging during boss battles, but BG keeps you on your toes.

4. Suikoden III - They decided to go in a different direction after II, and the Trinity Sight system is still innovative eight years later. The story was great, and tugged on my heart-strings just about as much as II. Some of the gameplay innovations didn't quite work for me (Buddy system), and the story felt rushed near the end, so it ends up falling a bit short of II. However, this was the last time the Suikoden team took a risk, and mostly succeeded, so it deserves a high rank.

5. Valkyria Chronicles - I loved the update on SRPG gameplay, bringing aiming into consideration without being a twitch shooter. The battle system itself is still probably the most intriguing and fun system I've ever played with, but the cookie-cutter story and limited tech tree/customization keep it from being higher.

6. Mass Effect 2 - Not too much customization here so it didn't really play like an RPG. However, I loved the story, squad-based combat, space exploration, and character development. Also, Tali.

7. Folklore - The atmosphere and story just pulled me in. Gameplay was pretty cool as well. Nothing legendary, but one of the best usages of the SixAxis controller I've played.

8. Demons Souls - I'm only near the beginning, but it already is one of my favorite games to play. The controls as as smooth as butter, and they are a big part of it. I hated Oblivion because the controls were so clunky, but when I started DS I thought 'this is what Oblivion wishes it controlled like'. Being cautious is rewarding, and the dungeon crawling is just the right amount of scary for me.

9. Final Fantasy VII - The only mainline Final Fantasy I've really gotten into. A lot of it is standard JRPG fare, but it just holds a special place in my heart. Exploring the overworld, side quests, the story, and soundtrack were the strong points for me.

10. Suikoden V - Rehash of Suikoden II on better hardware. It basically did everything right that Suikoden II also did right, and also had the advantage of voice acting. However, the soundtrack was generic and I can't avoid docking points for being a rehash of one of my favorite games. Yes, you can call me a hypocrite about FFT/Tactics Ogre but I've never played Tactics Ogre so I can't comment on it.

methos75 said:
I just want to know where these JRPGs with sophisticated battle systems are at, I have probably played and beaten well over 100 JRPGS and I sure haven't found one that mets that criteria yet.

If you want a JRPG with a crazy as shit battle system, look at Resonance of Fate.

I'll also comment on JRPG vs WRPG. They're both great! I have more JRPGs on my list because I've always mainly been a console gamer. I was able to play the original BG on my parents' computer but by the time 1990-2000 rolled around I simply didn't have anything to play WRPGs on. Also, I'm a Linux zealot so I only use Windows for things I absolutely need it for and do 99% of my gaming on consoles / occasionally Linux (Battle for Wesnoth and Humble Indie Bundles FTW!). If my situation was different I might have a couple more WRPGs on my list.

charsace

Grimmy said:
No order:

1. Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Betrayal at Krondor
4. Mother 3
5. Fallout 3
6. Eye of the Beholder 2: The Legend of Darkmoon
7. Persona 2: Innocent Sin
8. Final Fantasy X
9. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
10. Planescape: Torment

No hybrid RPGs included, otherwise the list would include the Ys series, Jagged Alliance, Zeliard, etc.
I loved Betrayal at Krondor. Too bad the mediocre sequel killed the series.

BlazeDSM

1. Phantasy Star II
2. Shining Force II
3. Final Fantasy 7
4. Final Fantasy 10
5. Tales of Vesperia
6. Grandia
7. Grandia II
8. Shadowrun (Genesis)
9. Skies of Arcadia
10. Diablo

I'm only going by what I have played, so there will be holes in the lineup that need to be filled. I am working on this diligently. :p

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

One of the finest RPGs of the last decade, it benefitted from a smooth transition to 3D, a more open morality/path system, flawless art-to-graphics transitions, Shoji Meguro's awakening as one of gaming's best composers, and the illustrious Press Turn System. R&D1 was on fucking fire here.

Final Fantasy VI

Another masterpiece of its respective series, Squaresoft at the height of their respective powers. Chock full of secrets, a genuinely interesting tale with both drama and comedy, orbited by a great cast. Great bad guy and his final boss theme is the best of all time, hands down.

Demon's Souls

Destined to be a significant game in this generation to every knowledgable player and dev. Kinda like that fable of the blind men and the elephant, many seem to see different things when thinking of DS, but they wouldn't bother if it wasn't one of the best-made this generation as well. Lots of Ignored Game Design Wisdom here, folks.

Vagrant Story

Another magnum opus. About the only thing it lacked was a quick-switch feature mapped to R1 or L1 for weapons. If you ever hear some slackjawed idiot berating all JRPGs for kiddiness, cliche, or anime tropin' seriously, they have not played this.

Planetscape Torment

GoG.com, THANK YOU. Only 15 hours in, but everything clicks so well here. Some character design is kinda fugly though. That's about it for critiquing.

Suikoden II

Another JRPG Classic. Suikoden I's world taken to its logical and game design maximum perfectly. It is so rare (and apparently tenuous) to craft worlds like this over several games. It needs the right to continue (for real; none of this Tierkreis BS).

Etrian Odyssey II

Even in a RPG list, yada yada. A fine evolution of EO1, but without EO3's oversoftened edges and game-breaking subclassing. Updating Wizardry and holding the banner of "You are not a special snowflake, this is not a self-esteem dispenser, this is goddamn dungeon crawling...until you DO succeed and DO do something majestic. THEN you may feel special." above high overhead with cute, colorful, detailed art and yet another delicious Koshiro OST of awesomeness trying their damnedest to distract you from the brutal indifference of the Labyrinth.

Persona 4

A JRPG. A game steeped Japanese EVERYTHING. About teenagers saving the day. Yet, somehow, it's the least egrarious about all JRPGs that visit these conditions. May have the finest cast ensemble ever assembled in an RPG. Magnificent job interweaving the various facets of the game so that they influence each other without crippling yourself for ignoring one completely. Has a 5 hour intro that feels like 5 minutes (OTHER DEVS TAKE NOTES FOR GODS SAKE).

Edit (brainstormed the other 2)

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2

Home of some of the best cutscenes (and some of the most fucked up events within them as well) in RPGs. The attention to detail and creativity (just watch how Heat and Argilla talk in demon form) is outstanding. Great combat, great soundtracks. Overlooked gems, sadly.

World of Warcraft

Especially around 2.4, where they zinged the balance between Risk and Reward and before they started feeling the influence of metric-manipulation, using raw psychological stimuli, and cost-effectiveness strategies (while hooking the playerbase on faster- consumed content-driven fun more than ever...). Catackalism is pulling the clock back to 2008, and it's a great thing.

Few get the many reasons why its so great (just watch WoW threads!), and is seen by fans as the reliable success they can and would want to hop back into when others are found wanting.

Chrono Trigger (SNES/DS) (two votes): I think this is the best game ever. It has everything, a nice story, cool characters, awesome soundtrack, great battlesystem, different endings, etc.

Terranigma (SNES)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Fallout 3 (360)
Tales of Symphonia (Cube)
Dragon Quest V (DS)
Final Fantasy IX (PSone)
Final Fantasy Legend II (GameBoy) (aka Saga 2 right?)
Fable (Xbox)
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story (GBA)

It was kinda hard not to make this a Final Fantasy list... I also noticed that this generation sucks compared to previous generations. Even DS stays behind GBA if you ask me, but that's offtopic.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Chrono Trigger - easily the best JRPG of all time. a simple but fun combat system, awesome characters, a fantastically fun plot full of time travel shenanigans, great 2D graphics, tons of alternate endings; what's NOT to love about this game?

Final Fantasy VI - still the best Final Fantasy game. awesome ensemble cast, great story moments and one of the most memorable game villains of all time.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - very simple (but fun), timing-based battle system, but with fantastic and funny writing all the way through. It's the best Gamecube game with Mario in it. (Yeah I said it.)

Skies of Arcadia: Legends - I know someone will say the DC version was better, but I played on Gamecube so whatever. Pretty standard RPG with the addition of some cool airship exploration. Also love the protagonist for his refusal to whine and brood.

Tales of Symphonia - Again, I know someone's going to come in and say some other Tales game was better, but this is the one I loved so screw you. I love the action-y battle system in these games. And now you're going to hear LLoyd's voice in your head. DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG!

Lord of the Rings Online - I lost interest in WoW by about level 20, but the story stuff in this game got me addicted, HARD. It doesn't hurt that it's got a game world where every single place you go has tons of "history" behind it, thanks to Tolkien. I like the classes, I like the quests, I like the quest TEXT, I like the skirmish system and the Legendary weapons, the game looks great, and now you don't even have to pay for it. Easily my favorite MMO.

Fire Emblem - This is the GBA game simply called FE, the one with Lyn and Hector and Eliwood as main characters. It's an utterly fantastic turn based SRPG where you need to be real careful or your recruited characters will die. FOR GOOD. I haven't finished the Gamecube or Wii versions, but they seem just as good.

I'm going to leave this at 7 games for now. My list lacks WRPGs because, well, I haven't played many. Thinking about getting into Morrowind or KOTOR or something. We'll see.

Htown said:
Chrono Trigger - easily the best JRPG of all time. a simple but fun combat system, awesome characters, a fantastically fun plot full of time travel shenanigans, great 2D graphics, tons of alternate endings; what's NOT to love about this game?

Final Fantasy VI - still the best Final Fantasy game. awesome ensemble cast, great story moments and one of the most memorable game villains of all time.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - very simple (but fun), timing-based battle system, but with fantastic and funny writing all the way through. It's the best Gamecube game with Mario in it. (Yeah I said it.)

Skies of Arcadia: Legends - I know someone will say the DC version was better, but I played on Gamecube so whatever. Pretty standard RPG with the addition of some cool airship exploration. Also love the protagonist for his refusal to whine and brood.

Tales of Symphonia - Again, I know someone's going to come in and say some other Tales game was better, but this is the one I loved so screw you. I love the action-y battle system in these games. And now you're going to hear LLoyd's voice in your head. DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG! DEMON FANG!

Lord of the Rings Online - I lost interest in WoW by about level 20, but the story stuff in this game got me addicted, HARD. It doesn't hurt that it's got a game world where every single place you go has tons of "history" behind it, thanks to Tolkien. I like the classes, I like the quests, I like the quest TEXT, I like the skirmish system and the Legendary weapons, the game looks great, and now you don't even have to pay for it. Easily my favorite MMO.

Fire Emblem - This is the GBA game simply called FE, the one with Lyn and Hector and Eliwood as main characters. It's an utterly fantastic turn based SRPG where you need to be real careful or your recruited characters will die. FOR GOOD. I haven't finished the Gamecube or Wii versions, but they seem just as good.

I'm going to leave this at 7 games for now. My list lacks WRPGs because, well, I haven't played many. Thinking about getting into Morrowind or KOTOR or something. We'll see.

Get thee to GOG and their holiday sale, stat! Lot of awesome RPGs there, including a couple I've been meaning to check out, like Betrayal at Krondor.

I don't mind anyone not liking WRPGs in comparison to JRPGs for good reasons, but to make an exception for lootfests when you like turn based JRPGs, for instance... WTF?!?! Especially since many JRPGs are distilled from old-school D&D and spawned from the old wave of Western CRPGs like Ultima and Wizardry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chrono Trigger - the quintessential JRPG (sorry FF6!)

Baldur's Gate 2 - the quintessential WRPG

The Witcher - the quintessential ERPG

Borderlands - take the boring ARPG grind but make it a good FPS. Genius.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 - perhaps FFT is the quintessential SRPG (or maybe Tactics Ogre?), but this seemed to breathe new life into the genre.

Star Control 2 - the RPG elements and the open world is something that Mass Effect tried so desperately to emulate, but you can't copy the original.

Persona 4 - I enjoy the megaten formula, but wrapping it in "real world" Japan makes the game so much more endearing than its counterparts.

Yakuza 3 - again, recaptures a very specific aspect of Japanese culture. I think the orphanage moments sell it though.

Fallout New Vegas - I had to put an OE game on this list.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - Troika's last game and probably one of the most atmospheric and interesting WRPGs.

charsace said:

Do you mean Antara or Return to Krondor? :lol

BaK would be an honorable mention for me - I love it, but I don't know if it holds up after all this time. Gonna buy it on GOG though.

1. Baldur's Gate 2

2. Mass Effect

3. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

4. Final Fantasy 3 (U.S. Version)

5. Chrono Trigger

6. Fallout 2

7. Planescape: Torment

8. Secret of Mana

9. Knights of the Old Republic

10. World of Warcraft

larvi

Pokemon Platinum - Hard to pick a definitve pokemon version, usually everyone just goes with whatever one they played first and got hooked on. But for the most part each new version has added improvements to the previous without altering the orginal formula. So I'm going with Platinum (at least until black and white are release here)

Wizardry VII Crusaders of the Dark Savant - Wizardry has long been one of my favorite series and I think VII was the best.

Wizardry 8 - Almost as good as VII overall and plays better on modern systems

Wizadry IV - Wizardry with the roles reversed and you play the bad guy who just got his ass stomped by a bunch of do gooders and looking for revenge. Unique premise and brutal difficutly set this one apart. Just try getting through it without FAQs and Maps. Remember this came out before the interwebs so at the time we had to figure it out for ourselves.

Might and Magic III -This was Jon Van Caneghem at his best in my opinion. Lighter fare than the wizardry games as far as combat difficulty but lots of exploring to do and puzzles to solve. I enjoyed all of the Might and Magic games but this was my favorite of the series

Fire Emblem (GBA)- Again hard to pick a definative FE game as pretty much all of them are good but this was the one I played through the most and lent itself well to a portable platform considering it was originally a console series.

Diablo II - Although I generally prefer turn based combat RPGs, I also love random loot games and this is the best of the genre

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind - I also tend to prefer party based RPGs but the amount of freedom you have to wander around in this game and do pretty much anything you want is very satisfying

Baldur's Gate II - Party based AD&D at its finest

Pool of Radiance (SSI Gold box version) - Tactical SRPG based AD&D at its finest

I've thought about picking up Baldur's Gate 2 on GOG because it seems like required playing for every gamer but the time investment is a little overwhelming, especially when I look at my ever increasing backlog.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
No order

Baldur's Gate II
Final Fantasy Tactics
Mass Effect 2
Super Mario RPG
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Chrono Trigger
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Pokemon Red/Blue
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Felix Lighter said:
I've thought about picking up Baldur's Gate 2 on GOG because it seems like required playing for every gamer but the time investment is a little overwhelming, especially when I look at my ever increasing backlog.

It will suck hours out of your life, but as far as epic RPGs go, you could certainly do worse.

kswiston

Felix Lighter said:

Like most wrpgs, it is very open ended, but if you just wanted to beat the main story, it isn't THAT long. I think I completed it in 40-50 hours the last time. I don't remember it being that much longer than Dragon Age: Origins (which is another game that could suck 100 hours out of you if you do everything).

Demon's Souls (PS3) - It's been said, it's all been said. Masterful gameplay, character growth free from class limitations, a simple story well told and dripping with atmosphere. Standout game of the generation, RPG or otherwise.

Etrian Odyssey III (DS) - I chose this one because to me it's not only the most accessible but also the deepest of the games. Fantastic reinvention of the "Bards Tale" 1st person/turn based dungeon crawler

Wasteland (C64/PC) - One of the first RPG's of any kind that I played. I was young, I had no idea what I was doing, I died a lot. I still played it a lot. Scary spiderbots eviscerating me in ruined cities, arrogant New Wave punks pissing me off in bars. The only let-down is the copy protection - most of the story is told via numbered paragraphs in an accompyaning booklet (read. para 46)

Ultima IV (c64/pc/others) - Along with Wasteland, my other first RPG. Both of these games for me associated RPG's with free-roaming in open worlds.

Phantasy Star (SMS) - My first JRPG. Genre-defining & great faux-3d dungeon exploration. I still get a smile when I replay it.

Dwarf Fortress (pc) - RPG? Dwarf-sim? All I know is it's one of the best random-story-generating engines out there. Did I ever tell you about the time the Master Crafter fell down the well and died, poisoning my drinking water? Ok i realise it's a management sim but the random stories that come out of it are the future of (one kind of) RPG's

Persona 3 (ps2) - Well.. it's the only one i've played, but the whole social-RPG meets dungeon crawler is a very interesting combo, though all the conversation branching fucks with my OCD. Still keen to play 4 at some point.

Nethack/Rogue (pc/multi) - Crazy hard, crazy deep, crazy crazy. One of the most inventive genres of games out there in the world.

Shiren the Wanderer (DS) - I just love this game. East meets West in jrpg roguelike - dieing to advance the story, plus the DS features like rescue mode etc. manage to make it more accessible while not toning down the difficulty one bit.

seady

1. Secret of Mana - My #1 favorite of all time. Touching story, emotional character development, amazing music and art style, fun magic and battle system, awesome co-op.
2. Final Fantasy VI - The best cast of characters in any games ever. Every party member has great background story that make you care about them.
3. Pokemon Gold/Silver - Simply addiction. Gotta catch them all.
4. Mass Effect 2 - Similar to FFVI with great cast of characters. However, this greatness kind of overshadow the more important things - the main storyline. If the main storyline is more focus the game would be the most amazing thing ever. The side quest of those amazing cast of characters sometimes make me feel detached from the urgency to save the world.
5. Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga - I didn't know Mario game, or RPG game, can be so funny.
6. Final Fantasy X
7. Legend of Dragoon
8. Shining Force
9. Dragon Quest IX
10. Breath of Fire III

Bluth54

Baldur's Gate 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Age: Origins
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Mass Effect
Skies of Arcadia:Legends
Tales of Symphonia

Matchew

1. Final Fantasy 7: Best game of all time!!
2. Pokemon Yellow
3. Super Mario RPG
4. Pokemon Silver
5. Mass Effect 2
5. Dragon Quest 8
6. Dragon Quest 5
7. Final Fantasy 10
8. Final Fantasy 12
9. Paper Mario
10.Mass Effect 1

Durante

This is ridiculously hard. Unordered:
  • Planescape: Torment (2 points) - Fantastic story and characters, true role-playing gameplay. One of a handful of games in which I ever felt an emotional connection to the characters.
  • Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter - Minimalistic story, atmospheric setting and one of the best battle systems in any JRPG. Conveys a sense of urgency that most RPGs lack.
  • Ultima 7 - The best Ultima, far ahead of its time.
  • Valkyria Chronicles - My favourite SRPG. What does the thread title say? Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay.
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - My favorite first person non-open world RPG, and my pick to represent that sub-genre. Even better when played as a Malkavian, with some of the most entertaining dialog in any game.
  • Suikoden V - A close call between this and II. The best title in one of the best JRPG franchises. The huge cast of characters and combination of traditional JRPG and strategy elements make Suikoden stand out.
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - A modern-day Planescape: Torment. It doesn't quite reach PST's heights, and depending on your choices the ending can be unsatisfactory, but it still deserves a place in this list.
  • Ar Tonelico 2 - A unique twist on the JRPG formula that combines music-based magic with a fantastic real-time battle system and visual novel settings.
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - Probably Bethesda's best effort when you look at the games in un-modded state. A worthy representative for open world games.
  • Nier - Yes, it's a flawed game. But it's also an RPG that combines third person combat, side-scrolling platforming, bullet hell, isometric combat, RE-like fixed camera horror sections and text adventure fragments. Together with some of the most brilliant game music out there -- there's nothing quite like it.

I tried to select titles that occupy different sub-genres, and not have much overlap between them. So there may be games that are "better" than others that made the list, but didn't make it. An example would be BG1/2, since PS:T is already up there. Other games I considered include FF6, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Risen, The Witcher, Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol, and Divinity II.

• Demon's Souls - A perfect combination between action-oriented combat and traditional RPG mechanics.
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - An incredibly rich vast world teeming with experiences waiting to be discovered.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions - The quintessential SRPG. Now with a new script and prettier cutscenes!
  • Final Fantasy VI - The best game in a series of great games.
  • Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero - The first game in a five-part epic journey from being a nobody to being the greatest. Pick one out of three different classes, each with their own unique approach to puzzles and problems, and set off on a quest for fame and glory. Never again has there been a successful hybrid between a RPG and the classic adventure game.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Beautiful and highly atmospheric with the excellent press-turn combat system. Skills, enemies & allies, and the ending are all highly customizable and change depending on your actions.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - Endearing characters, captivating plot, and awesome traditional MegaTen mechanics.
  • Suikoden III - Last year I went with SII, but SIII doesn't get nearly enough praise around these parts.
  • Valkyrie Profile - I annihilate thy form, Divine Techinique.....Niberlung Valesti!
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines - Interesting storyline, good dialogue, intense combat, and most important, vampires.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Breath of Fire
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IV DS remake (don't count my vote on the SNES shitty game)
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest VI
Tales of Phantasia (Snes version, shitty GBA version doesn't count)
Earthbound
Lufia 2

Zelda 3 a link to the past

Zelda the ocarina of time

Mass effect 2

Final fantasy 12

Skies of Arcadia

Panzer dragoon saga

Fallout 3

Zelda the wind waker

... And I'm done there.

Ultima IV
Ultima VII
Ultima Online
Deus Ex
Vagrant Story
Planescape: Torment
Mother 3
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Cheech

Ultima VII
Dungeon Master
Eye of the Beholder
Ultima Underworld
Baldur's Gate II
Skies of Arcadia
Morrowind
Oblivion
Demon's Souls
Mass Effect

Grimmy

Banned
charsace said:

Which sequel? There were two: Betrayal in Antara and Return to Krondor. Both were mediocre at best.

Edit: beaten.

Everytime I see Demon souls pop up, I glance over to the case and think
"Maybe today I will try and play it"
Well goddamn it that day has come so ive dusted down the PS3, running the updater now and god damn it I will get past the second area :lol

Also I see that Vampire game mentioned alot, is there somewhere I can pick it up for cheap like sub $10 would be nice.

tiff

Banned
I haven't played a lot of RPGs so this list will probably be short and missing some really good ones. Guess it can't be helped.

Valkyria Chronicles - Playing through this game right now. From the stunning graphics to the fantastic gameplay, every aspect of this title seems to out-do even the highest of expectations.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Figured I'd post my favorite game from my favorite series. The entire series is pretty consistent in terms of quality, but the colorful cast of characters, the straightforward but effective setting and plot, and new (or relatively new) elements like skills and shoving set this one apart from the rest.

Skies of Arcadia: Legends - By no means a perfect game, but exploring its vast and charming world is an experience I'll never forget.

Deus Ex - Another flawed game on many levels, but the amount of choice the player has in approaching any situation serves as a prototypical example of what video games are really capable of.

System Shock 2 - Open-ended gameplay and innovative (for the time) storytelling aside, SS2 is one of the few games to create a setting that truly terrified me.

The next two I wouldn't exactly consider essential, but if part of the point of this thread is to give love to games many people might have skipped over, I figured I might as well.

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love - Pretty decent SRPG with an absolutely incredible cast of characters. The Adventure portions of the game really steal the show as you work and build relationships with each member of the Star Division.

Recettear - Doujin PC game about totally adorable shopkeeper Recette and her mission to pay off her irresponsible father's ridiculous debt. Buy items low and sell them high, or plunder dungeons for goods and sell them at 100% profit. At the end of the day it's fairly simplistic and not incredibly deep, but it does what it sets out to well, and nothing quite beats selling the mystic armor you bought at half price for almost triple its value.

Was tempted to snub Deus Ex and SS2 to mess with WRPG-GAF, but fuck it, those games are too good to slight.

Also wanted to list X-COM 1, but I don't think it's generally regarded as an RPG so I left it out.

kswiston

Johnlenham said:
Also I see that Vampire game mentioned alot, is there somewhere I can pick it up for cheap like sub $10 would be nice.

It's available at direct2drive.com and steam for $20. But I picked it up on sale a year or so ago for $5 at D2D. Keep an eye out for it during the upcoming Steam Holiday Sale.

Wazzim

Banned
1. Chrono Cross
2. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Lost Odyssey
5. Final Fantasy Tactics
6. Persona 3
7. Eternal Sonata
8. Chrono Trigger
9. Oblivion
10. Dragon Quest VII

Mimir

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - Amazing quest design, extremely well-written dialog without obvious "correct" answers, and well-done choices & consequences make this one of the best CRPGs I've played. The only thing preventing this from being my favorite CRPG is the terrible combat system.

Fallout - Still the best CRPG I've ever played. Amazing setting, great quest design, well-written dialog, and a decent combat system make this a must-play game.

Fallout 2 - Bigger sequel with quite a bit to do. There are some great quests, but the schizophrenic setting, and poor writing in parts bring this down a notch from the original.

Gothic - One of the few action-RPGs to make it onto my list. I loved the setting, and the combat wasn't bad once you got used to it. It had some interesting quests, and choices & consequences that actually mattered.

Gothic 2 Gold - Greatly improved gameplay, but the setting was slightly less interesting than the original. Still, quite a fun game.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - Yes, it's just an expansion pack, but I personally liked this game even more than Torment. The characters were quite interesting, and you were given many interesting choices throughout the game. Hampered by the NWN2 engine.

Planescape: Torment - The best writing I've seen in any game. I usually prefer RPGs with more interesting choices, or better combat, but the setting and writing were able to overcome those faults for me.

The Temple of Elemental Evil - An underrated gem from Troika. The combat system was superb, and it actually offered some great role-playing opportunities once you got further into the Temple.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - Possibly the best action-RPG ever made. The atmosphere is incredible, and the dialog is top-notch. I just wish Troika could combine the best qualities of their three games into the perfect game.

The Witcher - While the lack of options for how to complete quests was a bit disappointing, they did a great job with choices & consequences during the game. If The Witcher 2 comes close to what they're promising, it could easily make it into my top 5 games list.

I've got a lot of older CRPGs in my backlog that I really need to play through still.

Top Bottom