• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs: 2017-2018 edition - Vote open until Oct 13th - Win Free RPGs

Flying Fish

Neo Member
My prediction for the remainder of my votes:

Fallout: New Vegas, Dark Souls, Persona 3, Earthbound and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door should all place easily.

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and The World Ends With You are toast.

Fallout 2 has probably split with Fallout 1, Pokemon B/W2 with HG/SS, and Final Fantasy Tactics with the rest of the FF series.

Baldur's Gate 2 has probably cornered the CRPG market, and I hope that's large enough to place this time around.

Undertale, Dark Souls 2, and Knights of the Old Republic are unknowns.

And the Mario and Luigi games have already been stated to have been less popular so probably not.

FFTA2 is clearly going into the top 5. :p
:(

The cutoff for the Top 50 was 35 points.

I am not going to list the Top 50 until the banners go up, but here were the 10 runners up:

Code:
51	Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow
52	Dragon Age: Origins
53	Shin Megami Tensei IV
54	Deus Ex: Human Revolution
55	Fire Emblem: Awakening
56	Fallout 3
57	South Park The Stick of Truth
58	Gothic II
59	Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
60	Dragon Quest V

Whaaaat? Origins didn't even make top 50?

I'm totally disappointed in you, GAF.

kswiston

I think that we have 5 games in the Top 50 that have never been in the top 50 before, plus a handful of games making a re-appearance after an absence last time around.

The underrated vote for sure put one title into the top 50. However, the underrated vote probably also had the most diversity of any of the votes, so it's overall impact was muted by all of those deep cut picks.

139 different titles were given the Underrated vote. Of those, only 28 had more than 1 underrated vote, and only 10 games had 3 or more.

33 of the games that were given an underrated vote appear nowhere else in this thread.

Ascheroth

We are the select few.
Maybe I'll say 'fuck it' and fill my list entirely with Falcom games next year :p. I mean there's still Ys VIII (PC), Tokyo Xanadu, Zwei 2 and Cold Steel 2 (PC) coming end of this year/early next year.
So that's basically 12 games even if I leave out Ys Seven, Napishtim and Gurumin, which I don't consider 'Essential', so there's even some wiggle room in case some of those won't live up (which I doubt)

Usobuko

Banned
Trails and Ys are both way too low on that series ranking, though. More of GAF needs to discover the joy of Falcom games.

While they do not boast the fervor of enthusiasm because the exposure is only in recent years and their games don't stemmed from being exclusive to a single platform usually, the words-of-mouth has been rather positive and has some momentum to it.

Till now I still compare 2.5D action jrpgs with Oath and Origin.

Luxorek

That's probably due to the timing of the thread, with Origins 2 coming out a month ago. This'll have split the votes.

giphy.gif

He meant Dragon Age: Origins

BumRush

I'm sad to see how low the Ys series is. Oath is one of the best games I've ever played.

I'm excited for the full list!

I'm sad to see how low the Ys series is. Oath is one of the best games I've ever played.

I'm excited for the full list!

I've been noticing a pattern/behavior regarding RPGs and what fans desire from the genre.

I'll make a thread later after I'm sure and this year's result is out.

AerialAir

Banned
Cosmic Star Heroine keys should be going out in the next day or two. You will be getting an automated PM + key, so PM me if there are difficulties. If you don't want your key for whatever reason, give it to a friend that might be interested, or raffle it off in the Steam community thread. Hopefully most of you will actually play the game though!

If you like it, spread the word.

I actually am really excited to play CSH but it's only out for Windows now, should I wait on a Mac/Linux version or give the key to a friend? Can't be sure of how long it'll take for this version to come out.

gngf123

I actually am really excited to play CSH but it's only out for Windows now, should I wait on a Mac/Linux version or give the key to a friend? Can't be sure of how long it'll take for this version to come out.

Steam will almost always give you the Mac/Linux versions when they become available. Theres only 1-2 games on Steam which don't work this way.

You might as well keep it.

Thud

Maybe I'll say 'fuck it' and fill my list entirely with Falcom games next year :p. I mean there's still Ys VIII (PC), Tokyo Xanadu, Zwei 2 and Cold Steel 2 (PC) coming end of this year/early next year.
So that's basically 12 games even if I leave out Ys Seven, Napishtim and Gurumin, which I don't consider 'Essential', so there's even some wiggle room in case some of those won't live up (which I doubt)

I'll just list all the trails games next time. No more vote splitting!

cj_iwakura

I kept forgetting to vote... Ah well. My too five would have been unchanged. (Nocturne, Growlanser 2, Soul Hackers, Persona 2 EP, Lunar II)

Now that I managed to put some quality time into Divinity 2 I regret not putting it on the list. On the other hand, I feel voting for it would be a bit premature since I'm still in Act 1.
I also tried to cover as many franchises as possible to avoid ending up with a list with only SMT games but I regret leaving out Soul Hackers. Agh, this is just too damn hard.

Jisgsaw

Do you mean Original Sin? No, I was talking about Dragon Age: Origins.

He meant Dragon Age: Origins

That's what I get for posting half asleep...

Now that I managed to put some quality time into Divinity 2 I regret not putting it on the list. On the other hand, I feel voting for it would be a bit premature since I'm still in Act 1.

And that's precisely why I posted about D:OS (well, that and my brainfart). Having reached Act 4 of D:OS2, it's a very worthy sequel (even far superior IMO); it being just released wil definitively affect the votes for the franchise.

Surfside

Banned
Welp, looks like Suikoden 2 won't make top 10. Such a shame.

It almost made it into my list. It had to battle with Fallout 1 and Gothic 1 though. Well Gothic won.

Wish, i had made some honorable mentions, just so many games that deserved a spot. But i just didn't have it in me, to write more.

xviper

if Witcher 3 is not Number 1, either GAF has a weird taste in gaming or there was a mistake with the Votes

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
I have no doubts that Witcher 3 is a quality game. That said, it's the third game in a series and I'd say it's more likely the top spot will be claimed by a game that presents itself with no prior commitments.

Sherlock00

Neo Member
if Witcher 3 is not Number 1, either GAF has a weird taste in gaming or there was a mistake with the Votes

Well, Witcher 3 may have a great story, but some of us think the battle system is unenjoyable and just plain bad. Therefore, no votes from some of us 😉

Usobuko

Banned
Suikoden 2 would have fared better with me if they received Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions treatment.

".........." and simplistic translation don't quite capture the essence of its themes.

I really dig dialogue like this in FFT

Wiegraf:

All such tales of gods and their miracles are false. Those who would lead prefer that history suit their needs, and rewrite it to see that it does. And why shouldn't they? The fault lies not with them. The reeking masses yearn for gods and miracles. It is their opiate, and they consume it greedily.

The people do not endeavor towards greatness, but rather mire themselves in their petty strifes - shackles on the feet of man. Their leaders give them no more than that for which they clamor. It is history's oldest and most oft-repeated tale.

Do men exploit this weakness to dominate their fellows? Mayhap they do. But they succeed only because the people are eager to know such dominion. Gods are only illusions born of man's fear. It is they who see this charade for what it is and join in the pageantry who are to blame.

There's just way too many gems of quotes in FFT:WotL that made it so memorable.

Taruranto

I'm surprised KH is so low, given the series is basically mainstream. Xeno is 5th, I didn't expect it, then again I suppose Gears is still popular and Blade is a recent hit.

xviper

Witcher 3 didn't even win GOTY 2015. What do you think?

Bloodborne won for 2 reasons

1- most of the people who though it deserved GOTY we're newcomers to the series, it was a fresh experience to them

2- it's a sony exclusive which gives it a BIG advantage in NeoGaf

Bloodborne won for 2 reasons

1- most of the people who though it deserved GOTY we're newcomers to the series, it was a fresh experience to them

2- it's a sony exclusive which gives it a BIG advantage in NeoGaf

Please don’t do this here. It’s definitely not going to win. It might be top 10 though.

FiveSide

Banned
I'm surprised KH is so low, given the series is basically mainstream. Xeno is 5th, I didn't expect it, then again I suppose Gears is still popular and Blade is a recent hit.

A series being mainstream wouldn't necessarily help it on this list, most of the participants skew substantially more towards the enthusiast side.

The fact that mainline SMT got more votes, as a series, than Pokemon, is probably a good example of that.

MoonFrog

A series being mainstream wouldn't necessarily help it on this list, most of the participants skew substantially more towards the enthusiast side.

The fact that mainline SMT got more votes, as a series, than Pokemon, is probably a good example of that.

Yeah, this is what I thought explained TES not being on the series list (pre-correction), tbh. It gets a lot of flak from enthusiasts and on this forum despite being popular. I took it not being on the initial list to mean that slant was more extreme than I originally thought.

MoonFrog

Only on GAF would that weeb stuff be as high as it is.
Which?

Falcom, Atlus, DQ, or FE as we've been discussing?

Something else?

Generally though, if you want more western games to show up, vote and encourage others to vote.

I've played a lot of RPGs. I like talking about them and comparing them. I have a critical viewpoint on how they stand in relation to each other. I'm interested in developing that.

It happens that they overwhelmingly tend to be Japanese games. I'm not well rounded, in this respect.

But...I think I've played some pretty damn good games.

FiveSide

Banned
I can understand why people like Xenoblade so much, but FE Awakening being high up there just boggles my mind.

It dropped quite a bit from where it was before though, not even in the Top 50 now.

I feel like Awakening and Skyrim are the two games that have dropped the hardest over the years.

For the Elder Scrolls games in general, I wonder if Skyrim even has the most votes. It might actually be Morrowind at this point, it seemed to get mentioned more when I was skimming ballots.

Dark_castle

It dropped quite a bit from where it was before though, not even in the Top 50 now.

I feel like Awakening and Skyrim are the two games that have dropped the hardest over the years.

For the Elder Scrolls games in general, I wonder if Skyrim even has the most votes. It might actually be Morrowind at this point, it seemed to get mentioned more when I was skimming ballots.
Oh ok, was looking at older list. GAF is not completely hopeless after all.

kswiston

Skyrim made a comeback this year. It's still way down from the initial high in the 2012 thread, but it's back in the Top 50

MoonFrog

That is surprisingly good for Skyrim. IDK. I like the game. I like some of the things it did to move away from Oblivion (a game I also like :p).

Van Bur3n

Don't even try to engage Van Bur3n about Japanese things, he wears his disdain on his sleeve at all times.

Anime weeb stuff =/= Japanese things. A very unhealthy generalization of what is representational of Japanese. Quite frankly, it offends me so.

Likewise, xviper can be safely ignored, all they ever do is whine about TW3 and NeoGAF not fellating the game enough to their liking.

Bruv, very unfair assertion. I would more so consider myself a Fallout guy, and GAF can at least recognize the beauty of Fallout 2 and New Vegas so that's good enough for me. But I also like The Witcher. However, you could probably consider me as one of those who would have chosen Bloodborne over The Witcher. Or maybe not. I liked them both. Regardless, people criticizing The Witcher ain't no skin off my back.

Coreda

The essential RPGs threads were one of the initial things that drew me to GAF years ago. Good to see it continue.

FiveSide

Banned
Anime weeb stuff =/= Japanese things. A very unhealthy generalization of what is representational of Japanese. Quite frankly, it offends me so.

Is it specifically Persona you have in mind when you say "anime weeb stuff"? Or JRPGs in general?

Also Morrigan was talking about xviper, not you.

The essential RPGs threads were one of the initial things that drew me to GAF years ago. Good to see it continue.

Same, the 2013 version was the first thread I read on GAF.

Opa-Pa

I'd honestly be shocked that anyone thought TW3 didn't get enough love, because it's by far the most often praised RPG here in almost every thread about the genre recently. The only other example I can think of is Persona 4 (and Bloodborne, I guess).

I heavily dislike "weeby" stuff too, but you may want to be more specific when complaining about it because otherwise people will just assume you're dissing japanese games in general.

Van Bur3n

Is it specifically Persona you have in mind when you say "anime weeb stuff"? Or JRPGs in general?

Also New Vegas is popular here, I think it was in the top 10 last year.

Same, the 2013 version was the first thread I read on GAF.

Anime. So I suppose that's Persona. Albeit, I can't say I'm into most JRPGs, but I've enjoyed some of them and I understand and respect the praise the likes of FF or Chrono Trigger get.

But every time I'm critical of something anime people are quick to automatically presume it's something against Japanese culture or "things" or some shit, which in actuality it points out precisely the problem I have with weebs. Anime is Japanese to them. Full stop.

And Morrigan said "they" so I assume I was being included in the equation.

I heavily dislike "weeby" stuff too, but you may want to be more specific when complaining about it because otherwise people will just assume you're dissing japanese games in general.

I was positive people knew weeb translates anime, not Japanese stuff in general. But again, as I pointed out, that is their own problem with not being able to differentiate the two.

Top Bottom