• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs: 2017-2018 edition - Vote open until Oct 13th - Win Free RPGs

MoonFrog

If I am going to spend the time making the banners, I want people to at least see them :p

I would!

You ruined it, MoonFrog. :p

Binding Blade is a great game. It is my sister's favorite. She has a hard time committing to games a the TV, so she's mostly just played the GBA and 3DS ones. She did watch my many PoR playthroughs, though :p.

I really like how Binding Blade is tuned. I like the lower hit rates and the existence of more defined character roles because of more lopsided stat spreads (thinking Sophia, for example). Throw in some really memorable maps and you've got a really good game.

Although the conversation has moved on from DQ, I was reminded of this recent thread.

It goes into the difficulties DQ has had appealing to a western audience both on the part of Enix messing up and on strange misperceptions about the series in western audiences and how they might arise.

For people curious about looking into DQ, there's a lot from both its detractors and its advocates in there.

I think one of the difficulties of Dragon Quest is its approach to story which often de-emphasizes the main character and central plot and instead focuses on lives other than those of RPG heroes. I think DQVIII and DQVII are instructive in trying to see this "problem."

Personally, I value DQ's penchant for drawing back and telling completed romances, tragedies, fairy-tales, etc. that aren't as tied to a cast that is by the nature of RPG just moving on through.

From that thread:

The thing about story is: DQVIII is presented in a much more amenable way to someone coming to DQ from the outside.

DQVIII has arcs for the central cast members and there are stronger stories at core moments in those arcs, but generally speaking the vignettes aren't that good outside of those ones imo. Because of this focus on the main cast, and it is a charming cast, charmingly voice acted, it is more like a character driven JRPG.

DQVII is just about the antithesis of this. It has lots of quality vignettes that play around with the time travel mechanics of the game but the cast sort of disappears into the background most of the time after the introduction with the notable exception of a certain vignette. It is mostly about people other than you and your friends and this is actually quite interesting for a game.

I remember feeling much the same way about DQVI, but tbh, that's one I'm feeling I should replay.

Going further back you have IV and V, which are also both more character driven.

IV has you playing through the lives of various RPG standbys other than the hero--the palace guard, the merchant, the traveling entertainers, and the spoiled princess. They have their own stories and goals and they're situated within their roles, so it is really quite interesting imo. Basically, you play out the vignettes of other characters.

V has you living the life of a single man from childhood to adulthood to marriage and the aftermath, with mischief, adventure, and personal tragedy mixed in alongside a hero's tale. Tbh V is another one I should replay, as I mostly just remember the broad strokes and big moments and not the vignettes.

But my point is, if you really want character driven DQ other than VIII, you can find it further back. And also, when DQ kicks into a more oblique mode, it isn't DQ kicking into "bad story mode," so much as it is DQ being different.

Ah, as long as some Suikoden game or other is in the top 50, I feel that while, all may not be right with the world (particularly in this cataclysmic summer and fall), all is clearly not WRONG with the world either.

When Suikoden falls out of the top 50, I'll take that as an eschatological portent.

Firemind

Binding Blade is a great game. It is my sister's favorite. She has a hard time committing to games a the TV, so she's mostly just played the GBA and 3DS ones. She did watch my many PoR playthroughs, though :p.

I really like how Binding Blade is tuned. I like the lower hit rates and the existence of more defined character roles because of more lopsided stat spreads (thinking Sophia, for example). Throw in some really memorable maps and you've got a really good game.
Hopefully IS will give it the Echoes treatment soon so more people can enjoy it. 👍

kswiston

I hope that Gaiden didn't tarnish the Echoes label due to disappointing sales. We need 4 and 5 in the west officially. Starting with Gaiden was an odd choice.

MoonFrog

Yeah. I just went with Japanese 4-5 (with paper/internet script) on the SNES but a fan-translated 3.

Cool to hear DS 3 is fan translated too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm surprised that Nocturne apparently seems to be on track to either hold its previous position or only drop slightly. That's certainly a lot better than I was expecting. Those highlight votes putting in work.

Thanks for the detailed write-up, it sounds very unique and something that might be up my alley. I can handle some early 3D jank if the game is good enough, so I'll check it out when I can. Hopefully before the next vote.
Cheers. Good luck obtaining it (legally) though. Its rarity has driven the prices to ridiculous degrees. I was very fortunate to have gotten it for as cheap as I did in the early 2000's. I don't condone piracy at all, but I wouldn't blame anyone for making an exception with this game. If only there were a remake... or hell, just sell the emulated ISO on Steam, Sega, we'll take it. :(

I hope that Gaiden didn't tarnish the Echoes label due to disappointing sales. We need 4 and 5 in the west officially. Starting with Gaiden was an odd choice.

IS's choices for the FE series are frequently odd. I'm grateful we got PoR and RD, but other than sheer desire to make a console FE again, it's hard to rationalize the move to GCN/Wii after two moderately successful handheld entries. A change in direction made some sense after Radiant Dawn flopped, but Shadow Dragon offered little value to the people who were buying FE games, and it's hard to say what about it was supposed to attract new players. The NES-grade story? The ugly art direction? Then IS doubled down with a direct sequel to a game people didn't especially like (granted, it also added some promising gameplay features).

But yeah, starting a remake brand with Gaiden rather than a fan favorite like Genealogy of the Holy War has got to be one of the stranger decisions.

EDIT: Wait, I read my sheet wrong. Here's the correct list!

Code:
Arc the lad 2
Atelier Escha & Logy
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Bahamut Lagoon
Caves of Qud
Custom Robo Arena
Destiny of an Emperor
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Freedom Force
Marvel Heroes
Metroid Fusion
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
NetHack
Paper Mario Color Splash
Rune Factory: Frontier
SaGa Frontier
Sakura Taisen
Serpent In The Staglands
Shining the Holy Ark
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Space Rangers
Star Ocean
TERA
The Banner Saga 
The Faery Tale Adventure (Amiga)
The Secret World
Too Human
Valkyria Chronicles 3
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II
Wizardry : Tale of the Forsaken Land

Some of these games were great. Others, I can see why they had 1 vote.

Vandal Hearts II is a game that doesn't have the best reputation, but tried to do something different to mixed success. If the AI wasn't so dumb, I think that it could have been a pretty strong game. It was a strategy title where you and your enemy attacked at the same time. You would choose your moves, and the AI would choose it. Then the game would act it out. However, the AI ALWAYS tried to attack your characters' backs. Once you figured that out, you could safely attack their backs every time.

Nice to know that some else also voted for Legend of Mana and Star Ocean II

Dvidus

Is Metroid Fusion considered an RPG? I’m failing to see how you could consider that an RPG unless games like FIFA 17, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit or WWF Smackdown are considered RPG’s as well.

Dvidus

It was just one of 3800 votes
True, but it’s still weird to see it mentioned in an RPG voting contest. Would you still count it if someone listed, say:

1. Metal gear Solid 2 (underrated vote)
2. Super Mario Sunshine (highlight)
3. Bully: Scholarship Edition
4. GTA V
5. Rise of the Tomb Raider
6. Assassins Creed
Etc..

Genuine interest.

kswiston

True, but it’s still weird to see it mentioned in an RPG voting contest. Would you still count it if someone listed, say:

4. GTA V
6. Assassins Creed
Etc..

Genuine interest.

Yes, unless there was a coordinated effort to sabotage the list with that stuff. Tying for 300-400th place doesn't really impact anything.

Breath of the Wild didn't even make the Top 50, and a decent number of people think that is an RPG. I'm not really concerned about Metroid Fusion having one of over 200 people labelling it an RPG.

4. GTA V
6. Assassins Creed
Etc..

Genuine interest.

The nice thing about building a list through a poll like this is that we don't have to worry much about definition problems. If few people consider something an RPG, then it won't get many votes, and it won't make the list. A universe where GTA V makes the list is one where GAF's shared understanding of the genre's borders has shifted to include GTA V.

Dvidus

Yes, unless there was a coordinated effort to sabotage the list with that stuff. Tying for 300-400th place doesn't really impact anything.

Breath of the Wild didn't even make the Top 50, and a decent number of people think that is an RPG. I'm not really concerned about Metroid Fusion having one of over 200 people labelling it an RPG.
Fair point. I’ll leave it alone.

Dvidus

The nice thing about building a list through a poll like this is that we don't have to worry much about definition problems. If few people consider something an RPG, then it won't get many votes, and it won't make the list. A universe where GTA V makes the list is one where GAF's shared understanding of the genre's borders has shifted to include GTA V.

I guess, but not defining those borders ever so slightly can encourage people subtly trying to make a whimsy list, which would be a shame considering the purpose of this topic.

But then again, one debatable vote is not gonna turn the world upside down.

kswiston

Personally, I don't consider the Yakuza games to be RPGs either, but they are beginning to get a decent number of cumulative votes. Not enough to place on the actual list, but enough that you probably noticed if you were reading the submissions.

There's a growing amount of fuzziness on the edge between RPG and action/adventure game.

Personally, I don't consider the Yakuza games to be RPGs either, but they are beginning to get a decent number of cumulative votes. Not enough to place on the actual list, but enough that you probably noticed if you were reading the submissions.

There's a growing amount of fuzziness on the edge between RPG and action/adventure game.

How are they not RPGs?
You get into fights when on the field, you level up and unlock new skills/increase stats, you purchase weapons to equip, you do sidequests, you play minigames, when a fight starts the game transitions to a closed-off area in which the fight takes place. What exactly is missing for it to be a RPG? Take any established RPG franchise like FF and tell me what makes it a RPG that can't be found in Yakuza.
Yakuza, unlike a normal action game and as is normal in RPGs, establishes a clear distinction between field navigation and combat, you can't just pull out a gun and start shooting whenever you want like in an action game, combat happens in a controlled environment specific for that purpose just like encounters in Tales, FF or whatever.
I've never seen anyone hesitating in considering Shenmue a rpg.
I'm genuinely interested in understanding where this line is drawn.

How are they not RPGs?
You get into fights when on the field, you level up and unlock new skills/increase stats, you purchase weapons to equip, you do sidequests, you play minigames, when a fight starts the game transitions to a closed-off area in which the fight takes place. What exactly is missing for it to be a RPG? Take any established RPG franchise like FF and tell me what makes it a RPG that can't be found in Yakuza.
Yakuza, unlike a normal action game and as is normal in RPGs, establishes a clear distinction between field navigation and combat, you can't just pull out a gun and start shooting whenever you want like in an action game, combat happens in a controlled environment specific for that purpose just like encounters in Tales, FF or whatever.

Do people consider Shenmue an RPG? I don't have strong views on these sorts of debates, so this may not count for much, but I don't think I'd bat an eye if someone told me Shenmue was an adventure game rather than an RPG.

FiveSide

Banned
People generally don't consider Symphony of the Night an RPG either. I wonder where it placed...

I feel the opposite actually, I thought most people considered SotN an RPG. There's certainly more of an "RPG" framework than there is in, say, Metroid. What with the several stats, the variety of equipment, variety of powers, etc.

I would personally consider SotN an RPG as well, but as we've all discussed ad infinitum before, pinning down the exact definition of what an RPG entails is a fool's errand.

These list threads, because they're aggregates, offer the best solution. Anything can be an RPG, but stuff that "isn't really" an RPG is filtered out by people exercising their own judgment re: which games should be considered RPGs.

Although the conversation has moved on from DQ, I was reminded of this recent thread.

It goes into the difficulties DQ has had appealing to a western audience both on the part of Enix messing up and on strange misperceptions about the series in western audiences and how they might arise.

For people curious about looking into DQ, there's a lot from both its detractors and its advocates in there.

I think one of the difficulties of Dragon Quest is its approach to story which often de-emphasizes the main character and central plot and instead focuses on lives other than those of RPG heroes. I think DQVIII and DQVII are instructive in trying to see this "problem."

Personally, I value DQ's penchant for drawing back and telling completed romances, tragedies, fairy-tales, etc. that aren't as tied to a cast that is by the nature of RPG just moving on through.

The vignette structure is definitely one of DQ's strengths as a series. They are the short stories to FF's novels. An episodic TV series in which each largely self-contained episode develops certain themes or concepts that funnel back into the overarching story.

I think what this accomplishes is giving the Dragon Quest games a sense of "place." Even though they usually take place in a fairly straightforward fantasy setting, the way in which the world expands horizontally through NPC and party member vignettes gives the main plot substantially more context. The best example of this is the victory lap at the end of the games, which is one of my favorite things about Dragon Quest.

Part of the reason why DQIV is so great is because it really doubles down on those strengths. You could also say VI and VII double down on those strengths, but both of them are kind of over-the-top in terms of content and pacing. They basically quadruple-down on the vignettes and in the process lose the brisk pacing that the earlier entries had.

How are the Yakuza games not RPGs?

I can see these going either way. On the one hand, they have random battles, are character and plot-driven, involve questing, etc.

On the other hand, there aren't "stats" in the D&D sense of the word, it's more just increasing HP and learning new attacks. DMC or Bayonetta would be as much of an RPG by this standard.

I don't consider them RPGs, I'd say they're open-world action-adventure, but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

MoonFrog

What I'm really hoping for from XI is a) strong narrative structure, preferably something new and different for the series in some way, b) strong vignettes that do take an oblique angle on the cast, and c) compelling personal investment in the story of at least some members of the cast.

Basically, I want Armor Project to find a balance between the virtues of Dragon Quest VII and those of VIII, but those would, imo, put it in line with the virtues of IV in particular, but also V in a less on-the-nose sort of way.

I think, from import impressions here, that it is at least going to have something with regards to c). The point of comparison seems to be chiefly VIII. So that is kind of my baseline expectation but I'm hoping from some different sorts of DQ magic beyond that.

EDIT: Wait, I read my sheet wrong. Here's the correct list!

Code:
Arc the lad 2
Atelier Escha & Logy
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Bahamut Lagoon
Caves of Qud
Custom Robo Arena
Destiny of an Emperor
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard
Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Freedom Force
Marvel Heroes
Metroid Fusion
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
NetHack
Paper Mario Color Splash
Rune Factory: Frontier
SaGa Frontier
Sakura Taisen
Serpent In The Staglands
Shining the Holy Ark
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Space Rangers
Star Ocean
TERA
The Banner Saga 
The Faery Tale Adventure (Amiga)
The Secret World
Too Human
Valkyria Chronicles 3
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II
Wizardry : Tale of the Forsaken Land

Some of these games were great. Others, I can see why they had 1 vote.

Vandal Hearts II is a game that doesn't have the best reputation, but tried to do something different to mixed success. If the AI wasn't so dumb, I think that it could have been a pretty strong game. It was a strategy title where you and your enemy attacked at the same time. You would choose your moves, and the AI would choose it. Then the game would act it out. However, the AI ALWAYS tried to attack your characters' backs. Once you figured that out, you could safely attack their backs every time.

Heh. I was the one who voted for Vandal Hearts 2 knowing it was a pretty uneven game. I enjoyed it for what it was and for the fact that it tried something different. I always wondered if they tried to replicate it with better AI in a later game if it would have turned out better. But yeah, it became pretty easy once you could exploit the AI. Although I wouldn't ding it for that because that's how a lot of strategy games are.

The 1 Underrated vote for NetHack here :p

It's fascinating to see how the games in the top 50 have moved around over time...most of them crawling up or down a couple of steps, but some of them shooting waaaaaaay up or waaaaaay down. Skyrim from 4th to 52nd and now to 30th...Mario RPG from 88th (wtf) to 41st.

How are they not RPGs?

I've loved the Yakuza series ever since the original on PS2, but I've never considered them RPGs, and I find it weird that people do.

They're just straight action games. Combat is based solely around button commands and combos, not around skill trees or stats. Yeah, you level up and get new abilities, but primarily winning battles in Yakuza is just a matter of skill and familiarity with the right combos and actions. There's no tactical element to combat.

The separation between exploration and combat is there, yes, but that's not really a core RPG thing (plus the series dropped that with 6 and just has seamless fights).

Yakuza is an action/adventure series.

FiveSide

Banned
What I'm really hoping for from XI is a) strong narrative structure, preferably something new and different for the series in some way, b) strong vignettes that do take an oblique angle on the cast, and c) compelling personal investment in the story of at least some members of the cast.

Basically, I want Armor Project to find a balance between the virtues of Dragon Quest VII and those of VIII, but those would, imo, put it in line with the virtues of IV in particular, but also V in a less on-the-nose sort of way.

I think, from import impressions here, that it is at least going to have something with regards to c). The point of comparison seems to be chiefly VIII. So that is kind of my baseline expectation but I'm hoping from some different sorts of DQ magic beyond that.

I fully expect DQXI to be based heavily on VIII's template. Which makes sense, if you think about it - there hasn't actually been a real follow-up to VIII yet. IX was...well, IX (honestly not a fan of that game), and X was the MMO. XI is the first time we've gotten back to the conventional single-player formula since VIII.

Or, put another way, this is the first traditional DQ game we've gotten in 13 years. Pretty exciting!

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
If I end up doing the banners for the Top 10 underrated vote games, it is #1 (since Xenoblade Chronicles was already featured in the Top 50).

That would be neat to see some of the top underrated votes in their own section, assuming you have the time. Great job so far!

I've loved the Yakuza series ever since the original on PS2, but I've never considered them RPGs, and I find it weird that people do.

They're just straight action games. Combat is based solely around button commands and combos, not around skill trees or stats. Yeah, you level up and get new abilities, but primarily winning battles in Yakuza is just a matter of skill and familiarity with the right combos and actions. There's no tactical element to combat.

The separation between exploration and combat is there, yes, but that's not really a core RPG thing (plus the series dropped that with 6 and just has seamless fights).

I could say exactly the same about Nier or The Witcher 3, but I digress.

Eolz

I really didn't expect Mass Effect 1 to rank that high, let alone in the top 50. Guess ME2 is even higher?

I really didn't expect Mass Effect 1 to rank that high, let alone in the top 50. Guess ME2 is even higher?

It's actually its worst place in Essential RPGs threads history, it's normally higher than that. I'd vote for it but I avoid to put 2 franchises on my list.

And yes, Mass Effect 2 has always been higher than the first game. It's just generally the most popular ME game.

Eridani

It's actually its worst place in Essential RPGs threads history, it's normally higher than that. I'd vote for it but I avoid to put 2 franchises on my list.

And yes, Mass Effect 2 has always been higher than the first game. It's just generally the most popular ME game.

Looking at the 2016 and 2015 lists, ME2 actually came behind ME1 in both:

2016:
ME1: #13
ME2: #20

2015:
ME1: #8
ME2: #18

That's definitely not what I'd expect considering that ME2 is far more popular. Considering how low ME1 is this time around I expect ME2 to rank higher this time around, but it's nice to see people still remember the first one.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm guessing it's because these kind of threads attract the more "hardcore" RPG enthusiast and that crowd values ME1 more.

Taruranto

How do you feel about the Raidou series? I feel like the only reason Yakuza isn't counted as an action RPG is because of the way it looks. Everything else screams action rpg to me, you have exp, sub-quests, equipment and random encounters on the map.

Thud

2016:

2015:

That's definitely not what I'd expect considering that ME2 is far more popular. Considering how low ME1 is this time around I expect ME2 to rank higher this time around, but it's nice to see people still remember the first one.

ME1 still had plently of RPG elements. So I guess that springs to mind despite 2/3 being better.

Eridani

ME1 still had plently of RPG elements. So I guess that springs to mind despite 2/3 being better.

It's pretty clear why people voted for ME1 over ME2. It has a better setting, writing and is much more of an RPG than ME2 is. It's just (pleasantly) surprising to me that there were enough people voting for it to put it over ME2 considering ME2 seems like one of the most popular and well regarded Bioware games.

2016:

2015:

Wow, I totally didn't expect that. But yeah, ME is more RPG than its sequels.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lot more western RPGs than I expected this year, sigh.

Also, a 1 for cost for Suikoden 2? Game is at least $120 complete.

Top Bottom