• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGEO Arcade Stick Pro is a fighting stick with 20 classic SNK fighting games pre-installed

Mista

Banned
NEOGEO-Arcade-Stick-Pro_2019_09-09-19_001.jpg

The NEOGEO Arcade Stick Pro, which was first announced earlier this month, is a fighting stick that comes with 20 classic SNK fighting games pre-installed, SNK announced. It will be released worldwide, but a release date has yet to be announced.
About NEOGEO Arcade Stick Pro

NEOGEO Arcade Stick Pro is an incredibly unique fighting stick in that it comes with fighting games pre-installed! It was inspired by the NEOGEO CD’s controller design and was blown up to fighting stick size. (W 430mm × D 215mm × H 125mm) Additionally, the arcade stick can switch between two modes: Arcade Stick Mode and Console Mode.

At the moment, we have plans for a world-wide release. (However, please understand that the specifics may change based on the country.) Please wait for more updates concerning launch date and price.

NEOGEO-Arcade-Stick-Pro_2019_09-09-19_002.jpg

Joystick Mode

In this mode, you can use the arcade stick normally by simply plugging it into a NEOGEO mini or PC. We guarantee a solid experience with this arcade stick.

NEOGEO-Arcade-Stick-Pro_2019_09-09-19_003-600x337.jpg

Console Mode

In this mode, simply connect the stick via an HDMI cable into a TV and get ready to enjoy some of SNK’s finest fighting games. There are 20 pre-installed NEOGEO classics just waiting to be played. You can even rearrange the button layout in the options menu. Also, you can attach NEOGEO mini PAD controllers or even another NEOGEO Arcade Stick Pro for some glorious two-player action!

NEOGEO-Arcade-Stick-Pro_2019_09-09-19_004-600x337.jpg
Gematsu

Vitacat

Button layout is different from both AES/MVS and NeoGeo CD. Have current SNK management ever seen a NeoGeo?

I was hoping they'd do a reproduction of a classic NeoGeo Candy cab panel. I think Neo fans would've loved something like that. This thing is just weird IMO.

Last edited:

Vitacat

I think it's an arcade stick that's supposed to look like the arcade.
Not following you. It doesn't look like the arcade (i.e. we are talking NeoGeo, so that means MVS). It just looks like a bigger version of the Mini's controller with a joystick.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Not following you. It doesn't look like the arcade (i.e. we are talking NeoGeo, so that means MVS). It just looks like a bigger version of the Mini's controller with a joystick.
Well yea. I'm replying to your layout comment. They look the same as the MVS no?

Vitacat

Well yea. I'm replying to your layout comment. They look the same as the MVS no?
Not even a little...

USA MVS version:
iu

Japanese MVS version:
IMG_0195.JPG

Also, both AES sticks had the same layout as the MVS.
neo-geo-cd-controller-pro-compatible-aes-used-no-box-.jpg

aesstick29.jpg

Note: the stick above has a replaced stick and new colored buttons, but it shows the original layout of ABCD.

Lastly, here's the original NeoGeo CD pad - note the button labels and colors:
neo_geo_aes_pad.jpg

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It makes sense to have a more standard 8 button layout if they want you to use this with other games on PC as well.

NikuNashi

Some nostalgia hits coming from this thread, had that original AES stick but all the buttons were grey like the controller color.

Should have just done an AES mini with 40 games from various genres and companies...

This feels like a rushed out job and doesn't really bode well withholding the 20 titles for you to buy the MVS Mini to accompany it.

Last edited:

Z..

Not even a little...

USA MVS version:
iu

Japanese MVS version:
IMG_0195.JPG

Also, both AES sticks had the same layout as the MVS.
neo-geo-cd-controller-pro-compatible-aes-used-no-box-.jpg

aesstick29.jpg

Note: the stick above has a replaced stick and new colored buttons, but it shows the original layout of ABCD.

Lastly, here's the original NeoGeo CD pad - note the button labels and colors:
neo_geo_aes_pad.jpg

But that's the same layout as the stick, though... there's two rows of 4 buttons each of which replicates the original arcade layout. Assuming you will obviously get button mapping (what with it having 4 extra buttons and all), the only thing that's missing is the colors being in the right order, otherwise I think I'm missing your point here. The layout is essentially the classic MVS times 2, no?

Lynkk

But that's the same layout as the stick, though... there's two rows of 4 buttons each of which replicates the original arcade layout. Assuming you will obviously get button mapping (what with it having 4 extra buttons and all), the only thing that's missing is the colors being in the right order, otherwise I think I'm missing your point here. The layout is essentially the classic MVS times 2, no?
Just the fact the colors not in the right order is a big no no

Z..

Just the fact the colors not in the right order is a big no no
It doesn't look bad at all, if it doesn't affect the functionality I don't see what the big deal is... Neo Geo Machines looked nothing like the originals around here so it hardly matters to me on a personal nostalgia level.

Vitacat

It doesn't look bad at all, if it doesn't affect the functionality I don't see what the big deal is... Neo Geo Machines looked nothing like the originals around here so it hardly matters to me on a personal nostalgia level.
You're not a NeoGeo fan then. So yeah, you don't get it.

If all you want is a functional arcade stick, then there are MANY that will be as good or better than this one. Nostalgia is the main currency SNK has to sell, and they're not doing a good job.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Personally, I don't even like the 4-across button layout. I'm one of those unwashed heathens who rolls with the

A B C
D X X

format. The stick just looks like junk, and I'm sure the emulation is the usual DotEmu-tier basura.

Z..

You're not a NeoGeo fan then. So yeah, you don't get it.

If all you want is a functional arcade stick, then there are MANY that will be as good or better than this one. Nostalgia is the main currency SNK has to sell, and they're not doing a good job.
I'm a huge snk fan and grew up playing NeoGeo practically daily since I was about 8 'til I was 19. Shock Troopers, KoF '97, Neo Turf Masters, Neo Bomberman, Metal Slug X, Puzzle Bobble and Spin Master were religions in my neighborhood growing up. The machines just didn't have the buttons in any color, they were black. All 4 of them black. I mostly definitely get it (love Sega and SNK above anything else), I'm just not pedantic.

baphomet

What the fuck even is this? It looks like a generic famiclone with extra buttons that don't do anything. How hard is it for them to release something that people actually want? If the emulation and video quality in the gold wasn't complete shit it would have been fine. Then they make a mini candy cab that no one asked for, and now this?

Just make a goddamn stick that looks like and mvs, decals and all, put good games in it, and have good emulation. That's what people want. It isn't that fucking hard.

I'm a huge snk fan and grew up playing NeoGeo practically daily since I was about 8 'til I was 19. Shock Troopers, KoF '97, Neo Turf Masters, Neo Bomberman, Metal Slug X, Puzzle Bobble and Spin Master were religions in my neighborhood growing up. The machines just didn't have the buttons in any color, they were black. All 4 of them black. I mostly definitely get it (love Sega and SNK above anything else), I'm just not pedantic.

There's nothing pedantic about it. It's literally part of their branding and has always been.

Z..

There's nothing pedantic about it. It's literally part of their branding and has always been.
It's not part of their branding everywhere as I just said. It's also purely cosmetic and plays no role in performance whatsoever, so yes it will only be a deal breaker for those who are pedantic, by the very definition of the word (being overly concerned with inconsequential details).
I myself have no interest in this product since I already have 2 great sticks and pretty much own all the NeoGeo games I want thanks to the ACA releases, but as long as there's button mapping I don't see how a minor detail like the color being off would really matter that much. Hell, even the AES sticks had black buttons...

baphomet

It's not part of their branding everywhere as I just said. It's also purely cosmetic and plays no role in performance whatsoever, so yes it will only be a deal breaker for those who are pedantic, by the very definition of the word (being overly concerned with inconsequential details).
I myself have no interest in this product since I already have 2 great sticks and pretty much own all the NeoGeo games I want thanks to the ACA releases, but as long as there's button mapping I don't see how a minor detail like the color being off would really matter that much. Hell, even the AES sticks had black buttons...

Just because your operator was too cheap to put the correct buttons back in doesn't change the fact that it's part of the branding.

They are literally color coded on every instruction card displayed on the cabinet. They're literally color coded in every games IN GAME instruction demo.

It is specifically stated in MVS instruction manuals of what the buttons are to be colored.

Z..

Just because your operator was too cheap to put the correct buttons back in doesn't change the fact that it's part of the branding.

They are literally color coded on every instruction card displayed on the cabinet. They're literally color coded in every games IN GAME instruction demo.

It is specifically stated in MVS instruction manuals of what the buttons are to be colored.

And yet the AES had no color coding on it's buttons and the region in which iSNK's games are most popular (which just so happens to be the same one as the machines I played growing up, South America) worlwide didn't either, how's that for essential?

What exactly are you trying to argue, for reference? That the colors should be correct? Because if that's it then of course they should... Oo

FMXVII

How you gonna announce that it "comes with 20 games", and NOT list the games?

You know what you're gonna offer it with, SNK.

There is no hype without a list.

Z..

I'm sure it's going to be KOF 94, Fatal Fury 1, Art of Fighting 1 -- ie, all the games you don't actually want.

It's going to be all fighters, right?

Art of Fighting 3.
Breakers Revenge.
Fatal Fury: Special.
Galaxy Fight.
Garou: MotW.
KoF '96.
KoF '98.
KoF '2002.
Kizuna Encounter.
Last Blade 2.
Ninja Masters.
Power Instinct: Matrimelee.
Rage of the Dragons.
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2.
SamSho II.
SamSho V Special.
SNK Vs. Capcom.
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Waku Waku 7.
World Heroes Perfect.

These would be the dream 20... let's see how many they get right. I'm betting on 3/20.

Bullet Club

Here are the games:

Y5y9uqv.jpg

THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’95
THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’97
THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’98
THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’99
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2000
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002
FATAL FURY SPECIAL
FATAL FURY 3
GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
SAMURAI SHODOWN Ⅱ
SAMURAI SHODOWN Ⅲ
SAMURAI SHODOWN IV
SAMURAI SHODOWN Ⅴ SPECIAL
ART OF FIGHTING
WORLD HEROES 2
WORLD HEROES 2 JET
WORLD HEROES PERFECT
NINJA MASTER’S
THE LAST BLADE 2
KIZUNA ENCOUNTER

uRqWE2Y.jpg

d47XzHz.jpg

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Here are the games:

Y5y9uqv.jpg

THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’95
THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’97
THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’98
THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’99
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2000
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002
FATAL FURY SPECIAL
FATAL FURY 3
GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
SAMURAI SHODOWN Ⅱ
SAMURAI SHODOWN Ⅲ
SAMURAI SHODOWN IV
SAMURAI SHODOWN Ⅴ SPECIAL
ART OF FIGHTING
WORLD HEROES 2
WORLD HEROES 2 JET
WORLD HEROES PERFECT
NINJA MASTER’S
THE LAST BLADE 2
KIZUNA ENCOUNTER

uRqWE2Y.jpg

d47XzHz.jpg

Weird they would skip '96. It wasn't great but it was a turnin point in the series ...and it's also the only one I dont own on cart.

Z..

Some weird choices but overall could've been much worse. Way too many KoF and SamSho games, though.

Weird they would skip '96. It wasn't great but it was a turnin point in the series ...and it's also the only one I dont own on cart.
Wasn't great? What are you on about? oO

TacosNSalsa

Some weird choices but overall could've been much worse. Way too many KoF and SamSho games, though.

Wasn't great? What are you on about? oO
It wasn't really well balanced especially compared to previous games. With the addition of the roll and grapplers not having any wiff animation so they had instant start up made them insanely strong . There were other things that were out of wack but I don't really remember but this one was like the biggest gripe and i agreed .

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Could've been worse, but a lot of really weird choices.

Example: NOBODY WANTS FATAL FURY 3. Nor will they ever. Fatal Fury Special sucks, too. Why not include the Real Bout games, instead? It's not like they cost more money.

Why Art of Fighting instead of the actually good Art of Fighting 3

Why SamSho 5, but no Samsho 5 Special, which fixed what was wrong with the previous game?

Kizuna Encounter is a cool choice, at least. But they always do this kind of nonsense. We're marginally ahead of where we were a decade ago in terms of the selection SNK will give you, so I guess that's progress... but progress like telling someone "I just graduated from my adult reading class!"

Last edited:

Tarin02543

I was hoping for a NGCD Mini with true arcade stick controllers.

Every euro is now going into an expensive neo geo cd game on ebay.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I like how it's both a system and an arcade stick but who knows what the actual quality is like and why doesn't it look like the neo geo aes arcade stick but instead like the gamepad shape with stick controls on top, that's weird (but it's not too ugly either so).
2560px-Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.jpg

It could have been like that stick, maybe with another row of buttons added and color theme choices.

Last edited:

Meesh

I'm gonna do it, I'll bite. I mean, probably relatively inexpensive hardware. I dig the games.
Maybe we can hack the thing down the road or something too.

Z..

It wasn't really well balanced especially compared to previous games. With the addition of the roll and grapplers not having any wiff animation so they had instant start up made them insanely strong . There were other things that were out of wack but I don't really remember but this one was like the biggest gripe and i agreed .

Quite frankly, top tier KoF games aside (98, 2002, XI, XIII) I'd say 96 and 2000 are the best of the bunch when it comes to B tier KoF. 96 has some balance problems, true, but 97 and 99 are even worse in such regards (even though I'll always have a soft spot for 97 since it was the one I played the most growing up). 94, 95, 2001 and 2003 are straight up irrelevant these days, but 96 still has alot to offer and quite frankly the balance problems aren't as glaring as you're making them out to be, grapplers where no match for Mature, Iori or Chin (I'd argue Mature was the real balance problem in that game, not the grapplers), Clark is the only grappler that's a serious menace in the game.

What? No metal slug? Screw this.
Ah, yes! Metal Slug, the quintessential fighting game!

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Quite frankly, top tier KoF games aside (98, 2002, XI, XIII) I'd say 96 and 2000 are the best of the bunch when it comes to B tier KoF. 96 has some balance problems, true, but 97 and 99 are even worse in such regards (even though I'll always have a soft spot for 97 since it was the one I played the most growing up). 94, 95, 2001 and 2003 are straight up irrelevant these days, but 96 still has alot to offer and quite frankly the balance problems aren't as glaring as you're making them out to be, grapplers where no match for Mature, Iori or Chin (I'd argue Mature was the real balance problem in that game, not the grapplers), Clark is the only grappler that's a serious menace in the game.

Ah, yes! Metal Slug, the quintessential fighting game!
We were certianly playing different types of players . In Chinatown fair it was Clark , Vice and Iori were the teams you saw the most ..so maybe I shouldn't have said grappler and should've said command grab . I'd see a Chin also but he was never a problem neither was Mature really . Benimaru was someone that was also switched in sometimes for Vice . It was a long time ago so it's fuzzy for me but I do remember almost never fighting some characters at all

I've seen some videos recently about the Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro hooked up to a PS4 and Switch, wanted to see if anyone in the community has had some experience with it. The bundle on Amazon has a Gamelinq adapter. I don't know if Brooks adapter is compatible.

Top Bottom