• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nepal plane crash video is terrifying as fuck - NSFL

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is important to note as a public disclaimer, the old party line. It's statistically safer to fly than it is to drive, and just the sheer potential shitstorm from screwing up, and the exorbitant cost of the vehicle and the fuel to power it means that several people most probably more skilled than you and I are making sure their gigantic money plane full of potential wrongful death lawsuits is up to snuff.

Conversely, though it doesn't happen as often as automobile accidents, when you're 30,000 feet in the air, if something fucks up, then your options basically boil down to what position do I want them to find my charred remnants.

I've flown about 14 times in my life. Not that scary, but turbulence and air pockets can suck my entire dick.
Pretty sure based on accident per mileage metric, air travel is the best. But I think on accidents per usage it's middle of the pack. I might be wrong, but I remember different vehicle/accident ratios and air travel isn't always the best. I think it was that one.

But the industry never brings up safety because it remind people of going down in flames.

Going down into charred remains is the biggest stickler because even though driving a car might be technically worse thn sitting in a plane, the key difference is at least for cars you got control. In an airplane all you can do is sit there and go down with the crew. I dont know what the death rates are per accident, but airplane accidents got to be 100x worse. Most car accidents are fender benders. Most airplane accidents you'll be lucky to get one survivor among 200 people.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Pretty sure based on accident per mileage metric, air travel is the best. But I think on accidents per usage it's middle of the pack. I might be wrong, but I remember different vehicle/accident ratios and air travel isn't always the best. I think it was that one.

But the industry never brings up safety because it remind people of going down in flames.

Going down into charred remains is the biggest stickler because even though driving a car might be technically worse thn sitting in a plane, the key difference is at least for cars you got control. In an airplane all you can do is sit there and go down with the crew. I dont know what the death rates are per accident, but airplane accidents got to be 100x worse. Most car accidents are fender benders. Most airplane accidents you'll be lucky to get one survivor among 200 people.

Yeah, I'm sure that different vehicles/pilots/countries/training makes for some different stats, I don't source anything because I'm usually too lazy, so I didn't mean to presume it was empirical by any means.

But the control is a good point. Being beholden to anyone for anything sucks, especially like...your continued existence, haha

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm sure that different vehicles/pilots/countries/training makes for some different stats, I don't source anything because I'm usually too lazy, so I didn't mean to presume it was empirical by any means.

But the control is a good point. Being beholden to anyone for anything sucks, especially like...your continued existence, haha
Oh totally. I was just replying for info sake. Not rebutting.

I was skimming some articles about air accident info and another thing people forget is thatclaims of super low deaths per air mile may come from commercial/registered planes only data sets (ie. big ass airliner companies you get at airports). The small mom and pop dude flying a shitty plane and crashing into a farm field wont be part of those stats.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Oh totally. I was just replying for info sake. Not rebutting.

I was skimming some articles about air accident info and another thing people forget is thatclaims of super low deaths per air mile may come from commercial/registered planes only data sets (ie. big ass airliner companies you get at airports). The small mom and pop dude flying a shitty plane and crashing into a farm field wont be part of those stats.

I appreciate information, good posts and good reads, keep doing God's work.

And I suppose there are minor exceptions and things that slip through the net in all bodies of data. Like how 70% of Republican voters isn't representative of 70% of Republicans total, since not everyone votes. But I suppose those outliers are often omitted in statistics A. to make the numbers look better, and B. because shitty third world airports and grandpa Knievel taking his hand built WW2 Replica jet out into the mountains on his 50th wedding anniversary and becoming a human torch aren't representative of MOST customers' experience or desire.

Kind of like these COVID stats. I know it was deadly, and widespread, I'm not a conspiracy theorist (on that, anyway) but it's gotten to the point where if I were in a bank that was being robbed because a dude's father just had respiratory complications related to COVID and died, and dude has a psychotic break, and I get shot in the head trying to make a deposit, my cause of death would probably be ruled COVID.

It's amazing how in 2023, we've learned to weaponize literally anything, including statistics, to further whatever end we have, benevolent or malicious. Sorry for going super far OT, hahaha

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I, for some dumb ass reason, watched a couple of live leak videos some time ago where people were getting killed and it took me some time to get the shit out of my head (specifically where one guy was getting held down and stabbed in a third world prison and a bunch of people were filming it 😔) so I’ll take a pass on this. But RIP to the passengers, I just read about this earlier and it’s terrifying.

Tams

Planning to go hiking there in a few months. The tigers were already giving me second thoughts, but now this?
Your odds of being in a plane crash are still incredibly low. It's just comparatively not as safe. The industry is there is dumb and irresponsible, but even they have to have some standards. Not everyone in it is corrupt either.

There aren't any tigers in the hiking areas, so you don't need to be worried about that.

Really, just remember it's a very poor country. Keep your wits about you and watch your stuff. You'll probably get ripped off at points, which at that point is up to you whether you push back or just go 'eh, I can afford it'.

Have fun!

Last edited:

AmuroChan

It is important to note as a public disclaimer, the old party line. It's statistically safer to fly than it is to drive, and just the sheer potential shitstorm from screwing up, and the exorbitant cost of the vehicle and the fuel to power it means that several people most probably more skilled than you and I are making sure their gigantic money plane full of potential wrongful death lawsuits is up to snuff.

I know the stats, but it doesn't make it any less scarier to me that a plane crash = certain death. I've flown a lot in my life, but I still get anxiety every time I get on a plane. At least in a car, I can convince myself that I'm sort of in control and can survive most car accidents.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I know the stats, but it doesn't make it any less scarier to me that a plane crash = certain death. I've flown a lot in my life, but I still get anxiety every time I get on a plane. At least in a car, I can convince myself that I'm sort of in control and can survive most car accidents.

Yeah, I completely get that. It's willingly taking your own life out of your hands. Coming from someone who is very frugal of their trust in others, down to cashiers, that's a lot to ask someone to afford a stranger/machine. It's the reason I don't swim, because of the feeling of being at the immediate mercy of some large imposing body.

Tams

Planning to go hiking there in a few months. The tigers were already giving me second thoughts, but now this?

Oh, and just some advice: the best place to exchange money is probably Tribhuvan (Kathmandu) airport. Failing that, at a decent hotel.

And try to arrange a pickup from the airport beforehand. From the moment you clear customs they will be people trying take you into town, often at bad prices.

Scotty W

Oh, and just some advice: the best place to exchange money is probably Tribhuvan (Kathmandu) airport. Failing that, at a decent hotel.

And try to arrange a pickup from the airport beforehand. From the moment you clear customs they will be people trying take you into town, often at bad prices.
Thanks friend. I spent some time in south east Asia so I am used to constant scam attempts, though they are still very off putting.

I have done a bit of research on the tigers and it seems that they are being reintroduced, and that there have been about 60 people killed in the past 3 years, mostly in this one big park, which seems to be distant from the main hiking areas. Fuck that. I can deal with bears and cougars, but tigers are something else entirely.

Is it easy to find an atm? I remember almost getting stuck in a town in Laos because I couldn’t find an atm to take my card, I can’t imagine the same in Nepal.

I will probably be going later this year.

light2x

Tragic. I wonder what their reaction would've been if they knew that was their last flight. What would you do in the inevitability of death?

And some humans prepare for that inevitability in many ways.

sono

Plane wings only work at a certain speed. Without that it is just several tons of material in mid air coming down

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Is this Yeti flight 691?

I’ve researched around the web and I’m getting conflicting information. Wiki says all aboard were killed. I can’t watch the video because Reddit is giving me some BS insisting I log in. Is this the correct flight, and if so what is shown post crash if no one is alive to record it? Or is Wiki’s information inaccurate?

LQX

Is this Yeti flight 691?

I’ve researched around the web and I’m getting conflicting information. Wiki says all aboard were killed. I can’t watch the video because Reddit is giving me some BS insisting I log in. Is this the correct flight, and if so what is shown post crash if no one is alive to record it? Or is Wiki’s information inaccurate?
Someone was streaming in flight. His phone continued to stream for a few seconds after the crash and all it showed was the phone quickly getting in engulfed within fire.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Low speed stall on turn, they had flaps deployed. This is one of shittiest stal there is, but also there should be some indication in cockipt that this is happening. Vut I don't fly ATR co I dunno its cockpit

Top Bottom