• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerdleaks: Sony Santa Monica's cancelled IP; futuristic, dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouncyFrag

I don't want to be the one to break this to Grunt.
289abba97c68abc86a14b78c14a799bf.jpg

I really want to see them doing something other than God of War. They really need to look at what Naughty Dog did when they started a new IP with similar gameplay and really knocked it out of the park with The Last of Us.

They are a heck of a studio that is too good to only do God of War imo.

Yes I agree, ND and TLOU is the perfect example. Not much excited for the next Nordic GoW even if the change of setting is welcome.

jdstorm

Banned
Battlestar Galactica meets Giant Dinosaurs.

It was awesome in Xenoblade Chronicles X and it's coming again in No mans Sky and Horizon Zero Dawn. I'm sort of glad they decided to go another direction. To many futuristic open worlds with Dinos would start to feel stale eventually

ps3ud0

Well I guess Horizon needs to be damn good - surprised at how thematically similar they were and allowed to gestate as long as they did...

I wonder if Horizon adopted any of the lost mechanics/ideas from the SSM game?

ps3ud0 8)

Yes I agree, ND and TLOU is the perfect example. Not much excited for the next Nordic GoW even if the change of setting is welcome.

I keep saying this, if you want SSM to make new IP then they need to make GoW IV first.

They had bad luck with the new dino space IP and sunk millions into it and haven't released an in house smash hit since GoW III.

They need to make bank for themselves and Sony with their proven franchise first and then move onto something new.
Keeps the lights on then make new stuff.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hi, OP here. Bumping this because.....

Nerdleaks posted this just now. Can someone try looking for the portfolio in question and post the images?

SONY SANTA MONICA’S CANCELLED IP: HERE ARE ALL THE INFORMATION
Here are the information we collected:

• It’s a futuristic game, maybe it is set in 2034;
• It could be about worlds exploration;
• Some character take part in a mission called “Ark Mission Genesis – A.D. 2034”;
• Some characters’ name: August, Donovan, NightHorse;
• There are some strange humanoid creatures (aliens?), similar to mutant fishes;
• These creatures ride some kind of bison with unicorn;
• There’s a group of refugees or mercenaries;
• There are drones;
• There is a kraken-like creature;
• Enemies could be skeletal monsters with long arms;
• There are creatures similar to dinosaurs;
• You could scan new creatures for information about DNA and Origin;
• A lot of uniforms.
Looks like this was in full production. So sad that Sony cancelled it.

Sony is too cautious this gen. Cancelling games and shutting down studios left and right. they are making a hundreds of millions from PS+ subs alone. Why not take some risks and take a loss on a game every now and then>?

Sony is too cautious this gen. Cancelling games and shutting down studios left and right. they are making a hundreds of millions from PS+ subs alone. Why not take some risks and take a loss on a game every now and then>?

If the game is not coming together, pushing it through is not a "risk", it's stupid. Stop thinking every game could be great based on an elevator pitch.

AAK

Really feels like Sony took way more risks under Kaz Hirai and Ken Kutaragi compared to Andrew House. I've never seen them so trigger happy in laying off staff than these last few years. Evolution Studio's, SSM, San Diego Studio, Superbot, Liverpool, Sony London, Guerilla Cambridge, Zipper, and it keeps climbing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If the game is not coming together, pushing it through is not a "risk", it's stupid. Stop thinking every game could be great based on an elevator pitch.

not every game needs to be a great game. some of my favorite PS2 and PS3 games were B games.

I refuse to believe a talented team like Santa Monica would've created a total stinker right after making God of War 3.

Tonky

Really feels like Sony took way more risks under Kaz Hirai and Ken Kutaragi than Andrew House. I've never seen them so trigger happy in laying off staff than these last few years.
This game was $100 million deep. They must have had a good reason for cancelling it.

firelogic

Disappointing. I guess with HZD Sony didn't see the need.

I would still rather take that chance than play yet another God of War game.

You make it sound like there's been a glut of GoW games. In 12 years we've only had 4 mainline games. PS2 had 2 and PS3 had 2. Throw in the PSP and there's another 2.

And it's really not "yet another God of War game." The setting is different. The tone is different. The combat is different. The weapons are different. The camera system is even different. It couldn't be further from God of War as we know it.

not every game needs to be a great game. some of my favorite PS2 and PS3 games were B games.

I refuse to believe a talented team like Santa Monica would've created a total stinker right after making God of War 3.

They canned it after pumping a ton of money into it. That's not a decision that's made lightly. It was supposedly missing milestones and deadlines which is more than just a "it's a B game instead of an A game" kind of issue.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A hundred million down the drain is BAD, though. The fact Sony invested that much on something that wasn't a sure winner already shows they care deeply.
I find it hard to believe Nintendo would ever do this.

Aw, looks like Sony cancels games too

This game was never announced by Sony, and was never seen publicly. Everyone cancels projects that don't take off or fall off the rails, we only know of this project because of a leak. Now compare this to scalebound which was a big show at numerous e3's...see the difference?

Kayant

That's exactly what they do atm
It’s a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That’s the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07...ke-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/
Aw, looks like Sony cancels games too
There. There it's ok Sony are the true villans not even allowing the project to be revealed. Sad!.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

What do you think games like The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 are? What about Until Dawn or the Order 1886? Sony has taken risks and some have paid off for them and some haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom