• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerdleaks: Sony Santa Monica's cancelled IP; futuristic, dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifeline

RN5EhUW.jpg

So this is the only image we have of the IP?

Killzone was big, but it was boring, every time.
I hope for the best with Horizon, but I'm not gonna expect much.

They got the lead writer of Fallout New Vegas and quest writers from CD Projekt Red. Story is not really the part i'm worried about for Horizon

Should have cancelled Horizon and gone with this instead.

Dinosaurs over robot dinosaurs any day. Plus, Santa Monica has a pretty good track record. Guerilla ... Not so much.

They should have cancelled the game that is set to ship in 2 weeks and has been getting fairly positive reception in favor of this game that I've never even seen before and which was canned despite having been heavily invested in. Seems sound. You should work at Sony.

Banned
The leak sounds like it was gonna be a mass effect and horizon hybrid. Damn that would've be been cool instead of another God of War despite being a fan of that series too.

Really feels like Sony took way more risks under Kaz Hirai and Ken Kutaragi compared to Andrew House. I've never seen them so trigger happy in laying off staff than these last few years. Evolution Studio's, SSM, San Diego Studio, Superbot, Liverpool, Sony London, Guerilla Cambridge, Zipper, and it keeps climbing.

This line of thinking makes sense if you are operating under the idea that the industry is static. It's not. Not even close. The gaming industry and market has changed tremendously over the last 5-10 years, and companies and executives have to adapt accordingly. What worked on the ps2 or PS3 might not work on the ps4. Making the kind of 1:1 comparisons you are trying to make is ridiculous.

The leak sounds like it was gonna be a mass effect and horizon hybrid. Damn that would've be been cool instead of another God of War despite being a fan of that series too.

Was Stig's team that was working on the new IP the same team working with Corey on GoW? I honestly don't know.

Really feels like Sony took way more risks under Kaz Hirai and Ken Kutaragi compared to Andrew House. I've never seen them so trigger happy in laying off staff than these last few years. Evolution Studio's, SSM, San Diego Studio, Superbot, Liverpool, Sony London, Guerilla Cambridge, Zipper, and it keeps climbing.

The problem is game development is outrageously expensive. Last gen was brutal with heaps of devs closing, and it's not like costs have gone down.

I mean, this game was cancelled with $100 million already spent? That's mind boggling!

Floody

Missed this thread originally, but I thought a big reason it got cancelled was because it was similar to Destiny (also massively over budget and in development hell), because that sounds nothing like Destiny, besides very basic things. Sounds kinda unique though, but also seems like they weren't a 100% sure on what it'd be.

Was Stig's team that was working on the new IP the same team working with Corey on GoW? I honestly don't know.

I don't think so, mos t of Stig's team got laid-off when it got cancelled. 50 or a 100 people I think it was.

Banned
I don't think so. I think Corey was specifically brought back for GoW and I guess the Stig game wasn't progressing at a pace Sony was happy with and/or thought it was too close to horizon.

It is a pity...the industry can always do with more takes on the sci fi genre, away from the usual space marines stuff. Some of the art work looks a bit hodge podge, but also pretty intriguing. And just imagining what SSM could have done with it visually...Well at least GoW is taking a different approach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom