• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Celine

the retro-bit generations dropped as well, apparently

Anyone pick one up as well?

Apparently it's not good at all:
https://twitter.com/KevinLarrabee/status/798946868701134848

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFrYpOAJiA

But really I don't think shoddy company like retro-bit or AtGames are interested in releasing good quality products.
Just to get a quick buck through nostalgia.

EDIT:
Also I lol'ed when I've read
Look what just arrived [retro-bit generations]. This is a weird thing... Stickers to cover up info mistakes on the box... Will be testing ASAP

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This felt like a slap in the face to the core fans. I would have loved to find these (poster/cards) while unpacking. It would have added to the whole back in time experience, guess Nintendo doesn't give shit about it's EU fans.

Yeah, the postcards would have been nice. Posters I don't really care for, especially folded ones.

Technically Nintendo UK did have preorder gifts, but the best one sold out quickly.

Attempt #3 to get a controller at 2pm PST/5pm EST today.

This is getting fucking ridiculous.

I have it already in my cart this time, what is the best method? Checkout from my cart or try to add it again? Anyone use this method the past few days that could help?

maxcriden

This is just making me hate Nintendo. I'm considering not buying a Switch now.

There are valid arguments why it may be Nintendo's fault, but equally valid arguments why it may not be. Either way, the system should be easier to find soon enough. With Switch, though, the big difference should be that preorders will be a thing. I'm sorry of course to hear it's been a frustrating experience for you, though. I was able to get mine but it was a stressful experience for me, too, so I can definitely empathize.

SCB3

This felt like a slap in the face to the core fans. I would have loved to find these (poster/cards) while unpacking. It would have added to the whole back in time experience, guess Nintendo doesn't give shit about it's EU fans.

Ha, Nintendo care about Europe? Theres a reason SEGA is looked upon fondly here.

That being said, has anyone used one of those 80 Game Mega Drive mini consoles that are like £40?

StAidan

Attempt #3 to get a controller at 2pm PST/5pm EST today.

This is getting fucking ridiculous.

I have it already in my cart this time, what is the best method? Checkout from my cart or try to add it again? Anyone use this method the past few days that could help?

Just refresh your cart until the "zip code not available for delivery" error goes away, then check out. That's how I got my controller yesterday.

So I see these are sold out everywhere which isn't surprising. How good is Nintendo going to be about restocking? Is it just going to be Wii 2.0 where you're waiting months after release to even see one out in the wild or will they be a bit better about getting plenty out before Christmas?

//ARCANUM

Just refresh your cart until the "zip code not available for delivery" error goes away, then check out. That's how I got my controller yesterday.

I have the console and an extra controller in my cart... wondering if I should remove the extra controller to better my odds of getting the console today if they don't put them up at exactly the same time. thoughts?

Sephzilla

There are valid arguments why it may be Nintendo's fault, but equally valid arguments why it may not be. Either way, the system should be easier to find soon enough. With Switch, though, the big difference should be that preorders will be a thing. I'm sorry of course to hear it's been a frustrating experience for you, though. I was able to get mine but it was a stressful experience for me, too, so I can definitely empathize.

I'd be giving Nintendo more benefit of the doubt if they didn't already have a bit of a history with under supplying consoles, and if their competition also had a similar issue. But we don't live in that reality.

Still pretty disappointed with this, and hoping some of those bots end up having to eat their investment, but alas, probably not.

Last Friday I got up at 6am and actually went through with a transaction on Dell.com, got a purchase confrimation and everything, and then by Monday morning, Dell sent me a cancellation that they were cancelling my order because they didn't have enough stock and weren't getting more, and I was SOL.

Sucked.

I finally got the thread title when I opened my box this morning: no adapter included in Europe. Somehow I missed this tidbit. Why only here when even Japan got one? Sigh...

In some ways we got a bit of a raw deal here. Same price, no adapter, no poster or postcards, and no exclusive games (such as Nintendo World Cup to replace the - imo not really popular in Europe - Tecmo Bowl). Guess the better availability does counter these shortcomings but still.

Now to test whether my TV will be able to power this thing. If it will not, I'll have to make use of an older smart device connecter I guess.

I got this
10949484-1274343852272347.jpg

Lucent

Still pretty disappointed with this, and hoping some of those bots end up having to eat their investment, but alas, probably not.

Last Friday I got up at 6am and actually went through with a transaction on Dell.com, got a purchase confrimation and everything, and then by Monday morning, Dell sent me a cancellation that they were cancelling my order because they didn't have enough stock and weren't getting more, and I was SOL.

Sucked.

This exact thing happened to me.

C.Mongler

Ugh, been trying to grab one of these since launch, and I'm starting to get at my wits end. Had one of the Toys R Us ones in my stock, which was a goof like everyone else's and was cancelled. It sucks because I don't even really want the damn thing, I want to get it for my kid brother for Christmas. He's been playing my old NES at home and loving it, but I only have like 5 games for the thing, so this seemed like a great gift for him so he could easily check out what else there is. If Nintendo' going to make me fight tooth and nail to get one, then screw it, I'll spend my money elsewhere. If I can't find one by like the end of the first week of December, I'll be getting him something else entirely.

maxcriden

I'd be giving Nintendo more benefit of the doubt if they didn't already have a bit of a history with under supplying consoles, and if their competition also had a similar issue. But we don't live in that reality.

I understand. But whether or not we agree there may have been valid arguments in some of those circumstances also, I think regardless of those other circumstances this is unfamiliar waters for Nintendo as a product, in terms of understanding or predicting demand, and if their supply chain wasn't up to getting product in when they decided to make more, then there's not necessarily much else they could have done. (And yeah, they have unquestionably at times been not so great at determining demand for some of their products.)

Celine

The competition in this case are other plug & play devices and I think it's quite obvious the demand is far higher than anything released before.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Had a ridiculous week with work and school... gonna get home at like 11pm tonight after six fourteen-hour days in a row. Really wanted to smoke a bowl and play some Zelda II tonight, been looking forward to it since last Friday. Too bad these aren't to be found anywhere.

I guess I'll just download it on my 3ds :/

The competition in this case are other plug & play devices and I think it's quite obvious the demand is far higher than anything released before.

It's more fun to whine about Nintendo, though.

They've got gold here. They should do a refresh next year. Keep half of the current games, rotate out the other half for stuff like Tetris and Ms. Pac-Man and raise the price $10. It'll sell like crazy and the message boards will whine like hell about the price increase and how half of the games are repeats.

Nintendo always under produces new items. They simply don't have employed business experts to help them determine proper demand and supply for a new product launch.

amiibo were new and under produced, the NES Classic Edition is the same and their many CEs have been rare and tough to preorder.

It is worrisome that they can't meet demand because they can't properly forecast manufacturing numbers. Supply will eventually be there for everyone but Nintendo seems to supply a launch with conservative numbers to benefit themselves (no unsold stock) but at the cost of the consumer building resentment and hate towards their brand. This one will be the most damaging as you have people have who haven't played video games since the NES was out, who are looking to revisit those memories and possibly become Switch owners but instead are met with scalpers and no supply. So instead they just stop caring and move on.

If this is all on purpose for hype reasons then it's just plain evil. Regardless the damage to their brand from never being able to properly supply stock is done and everyone was expecting this who knew their past history. It's like Nintendo does their market research by conservative supply and market reaction. If they can't supply enough Switch consoles in March then they are hobbling a new console's market share and that is Nintendo's most important market to regain.

explodet

I'd prefer they make an NES Classics 2, put it in the redesigned shell, stick in Tetris, Mega Man 3, Bionic Commando, Castlevania 3, etc.

Though it'd probably go over as well as the Wii U did.

Piccoro

I'd prefer they make an NES Classics 2, put it in the redesigned shell, stick in Tetris, Mega Man 3, Bionic Commando, Castlevania 3, etc.

Though it'd probably go over as well as the Wii U did.

Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Tetris anymore. So no NES Tetris or Game Boy Tetris.

Tiktaalik

I realize this thing is frustrating to find, but can we keep updates about the status of people's online shopping cart out of this thread? There are other threads for that. Let's keep discussion here about playing the device.

On that topic I noticed Chris Kohler put up an article about it on WIRED.

NES Classic Is a Hit. So Where Does Nintendo Go From Here?

I have to agree with him I think a "Gameboy Classic" featuring Tetris and Pokemon would be a pretty incredibly great device. With modern tech you could give it a high quality backlit screen and incredible battery life and still make it incredibly cheap.

I spent a lot of this last weekend playing my NES mini, and I literally was having a nostalgia overload. Mainly SMB and SMB3. The girlfriend like Galaga so we took turns. I tried a few others, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon 2, Super C, and holy shit a lot of these games are hard as hell.

Going through SMB made me realize just how far ahead of its time that game was. It has fully rendered backgrounds, more intricate music, and tight controls. Even when playing other games in the collection, it is a different class. Shigeru Miyamoto is a genius.

Lastly, some games I never played so I have no nostalgia for them. I tried a few and they just are shitty games lol

Raitaro

Yeah a bonus item would have been nice, even though actual availability of the system probably beats it.

What they could have done perhaps, is include a small version of the first issue of the free Club Nintendo magazine they used to distribute back in the day (in The Netherlands and several other countries) to help promote games and such. It came quite irregularly but it was free if you bought a NES and filled in a card. I always really looked forward to getting one in the mail. I think that this would have been a nice gesture to further trigger our nostalgia.

StAidan

While playing Super Mario Bros. last night, I died once due to an emulator hiccup (a split-second pause) just as I was approaching a koopa at high speed. Kind of a bummer, but so far that's the only such instance I've encountered.

SCB3

Is there any word from Nintendo UK/Europe about more stock coming soon? They've been silent and haven't mentioned anything... :(

GAME and Argos have said that it will be restocked for Xmas and Amazon had orders up a few days ago for like an hour.

I feel as if even Nintendo didn't realise how popular this was going to be, hell I couldn't predict it either, I thought it would actually not sell

AtomicPumpkin

Neo Member
I did. I can beat Tyson on a real NES without getting hit. On the NES Classic, I lost to him 3 times before I was finally able to put him away. Damn input lag.

I wonder if plugging one of these into a computer monitor with lag of 5ms or less would make a difference? I'm still using my old monitor that lacks an HDMI input, so I can't test it.

MegalonJJ

Banned
No idea, but Amazon Italy just sent me an email to inform me they would ship my unit a week earlier than expected.

This sounds promising, perhaps they're getting stock earlier than anticipated.

GAME and Argos have said that it will be restocked for Xmas and Amazon had orders up a few days ago for like an hour.

I feel as if even Nintendo didn't realise how popular this was going to be, hell I couldn't predict it either, I thought it would actually not sell

Amazon had it up a few days ago?! Damn, I missed that

I could talk about how great Super Mario Bros. 3 is some more. I think I've posted about that game about six times since I got my NES Classic Mini.

You know what a strength of this game is? The levels that are puzzle levels. Stuff like 7-5 or that one World Six level that blocks a house with a Hammer Suit in it. Sooooo good, and a nice change from the platforming-heavy levels.

There is so much variety in this game.

Also, I think one reason that I prefer SMB3 is that since there is no save on the original cart, they had to make the levels short. In turn, I think these levels are more tightly designed and ultimately feel more cleverly laid out than, say, levels in SM3DW or Galaxy 2 (though there were some clever levels in the latter game). Playing a level in Mario 3 is a short burst of frantic platforming or puzzling (or both), and then you get to take a breath and go to the next (and often different in terms of what it will ask you to do) level.

Playing levels in modern linear 3D Mario games seems like it takes forever, and in something like 3DW, most of what you're doing seems trivial since most of the level is wide open since it's meant to allow for effective multiplayer. I don't want to make the comparison to stealth-crap on 3DW (really!), but because that comparison helps me to explain what I love so much about SMB 3.

Harlock

Apparently it's not good at all:
https://twitter.com/KevinLarrabee/status/798946868701134848

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFrYpOAJiA

But really I don't think shoddy company like retro-bit or AtGames are interested in releasing good quality products.
Just to get a quick buck through nostalgia.

EDIT:
Also I lol'ed when I've read

NES Classic has a lot of quality. If you wanna something else just go Retropie with Raspberry 3, is very good at 8 and 16-bit emulation. But is not just plug and play, unless you buy from someone selling with games already installed.

//ARCANUM

So today I've got the console and a controller in my cart. Wonder if I'll be able to check out, lol. Y'all recommend removing the controller to ensure I get the console? Or do you think it's a bad idea since I actually got it in my cart?

So today I've got the console and a controller in my cart. Wonder if I'll be able to check out, lol. Y'all recommend removing the controller to ensure I get the console? Or do you think it's a bad idea since I actually got it in my cart?

It could go either way. If you keep refreshing the cart page, one may go into stock and not the other. At that point, I would check out whatever you could.

Meanwhile, I had been sitting on the checkout page only needing to click "place order." I had two pages open like that overnight. I tried refreshing one and it takes me back to the cart, so that's a no go. :(

Top Bottom