• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

hayejin

I thought after Christmas was over we could walk into any store and pick one off the many collecting dust on shelf.

Had the item in basket in eBay and went OOS after hitting confirm and pay button earlier when BB had it up on eBay. Sigh.

neoemonk

I'm getting crushed in the Tecmo Bowl playoffs. I can't seem to run even with the Bears. The defense is so fast now. I don't remember this being that hard lol

Joei

I thought after Christmas was over we could walk into any store and pick one off the many collecting dust on shelf.

Had the item in basket in eBay and went OOS after hitting confirm and pay button earlier when BB had it up on eBay. Sigh.

I'm assuming this will happen eventually. We're not even a month past Christmas, so I imagine stores are lucky to have received one shipment, which still will sell right away. I have to imagine by summer this will be more common, but even then, that depends on production and shipment numbers. My biggest fear is that Nintendo releases more of these, but decides to, for whatever, change the games it offers.

DeathPeak

I FINALLY managed to get one! There were 2 at the Target I went to. I was second. The person in front of me got there an hour earlier. Nice guy. I'm glad I was able to have someone to chat with while I waited. Bummer for those who wait at a store with just 1. It was fun watching other cars drive by and see the two of us, so they drive off.

What do you foresee in terms of the number of Nintendo Switch consoles that you’ll be able to release in 2017?

Fils-Aime: What we’ve said publicly is that there will be 2 million units that will be shipped worldwide for the launch, essentially through month one.

I know, because I read the boards and I read the comments, that there is concern about supply. From what I’ve read, the concern seems to stem from the lack of ability to buy NES Classic. So what I would say is this: Two million for essentially the first month is a huge number, especially when you look and see that this is not peak seasonality. This is essentially the first three weeks of March. Our focus is making sure that the consumer who wants to buy a Nintendo Switch can buy a Nintendo Switch. That’s how we build our supply chain, that’s how we think through the amount of product that’s available.

What happened with NES Classic is that was a situation where the global demand was well in excess of anything we had anticipated, and that’s what created shortages. The good news, at least for consumers in the Americas, is we’re going to continue to make the NES Classic available. With the ongoing level of supply, the ongoing demand is going to be met. We know the concern.

Did the surprising, to you, demand for NES Classic open your eyes to understanding the popularity of classic Nintendo products in this day and age?

Fils-Aime: We know the popularity of our classic games. That’s a known situation. The challenge for us is that with this particular system, we thought honestly that the key consumer would be between 30 and 40 years old, with kids, who had stepped away from gaming for some period of time. And certainly we sold a lot of systems to that consumer. But what we also see here in the Americas is that we’ve sold a lot to [fans] who just saw a compact, all-in-one opportunity to get the 30 greatest games from the NES generation. I think that incremental demand is what surprised us. Because again, how many times have you purchased the original Super Mario Bros.? We thought that the consumer that already had a Wii or a Wii U and had purchased those games once or twice already, we didn’t think that they’d buy the NES Classic. And they did.

Get them while you can, folks.

iphys

Get them while you can, folks.

As if they couldn't have anticipated the demand for something so cool and such a great value. Even if they didn't they should have noticed how the Internet went mad when they first announced it so many months in advance and been able to produce more of them than the tiny supply that they've managed. No way do I believe they aren't limiting these on purpose just to help create hype for their brand.

Any luck on restocks of the NES Classic Controllers? Would love to have a second officially licensed controller rather than getting a bluetooth 3rd party one off Amazon just of the sake of keeping things feel originally retro.

Soundslike

Neo Member
just got a email from a swedish retailer that my order are ready for pick up. Problably means that swedish retailers here are getting some units.

maxcriden

I just got wistful thinking of the alternate reality where ample supply was provided for the system and this OT was mostly just posts taking about the merits of these classic games. :/

Chucker

Anybody tried the 2nd revision of the Edge joystick? Claims to have fixed the adaptor issue, comes with a 30 page book and boasts sanwa buttons/stick and a happ style stick top also.

Local GameStop has one, contemplating it.

wiibomb

I just got wistful thinking of the alternate reality where ample supply was provided for the system and this OT was mostly just posts taking about the merits of these classic games. :/

instead it has been the go-to place to see if there is any restock.

I was in NYC about 3 weks ago and it was rather terrifying to see how long the lines were to try and get one of these at the Nintendo World store before opening. (the worst part was to see that day they didn't had any)

DeathPeak

Any luck on restocks of the NES Classic Controllers? Would love to have a second officially licensed controller rather than getting a bluetooth 3rd party one off Amazon just of the sake of keeping things feel originally retro.

Seriously. I didn't think my wife would be as interested in playing two player with me as she ended up being and unfortunately, I don't have a wii classic controller. I hope more controllers become available, but I'm not holding my breath.

Seriously. I didn't think my wife would be as interested in playing two player with me as she ended up being and unfortunately, I don't have a wii classic controller. I hope more controllers become available, but I'm not holding my breath.

What sucks is that I literally just sold off my Wii Classic Controller on Craigslist like a month ago since I wasn't thinking about getting the NES Classic, but since I got it as a gift now a 2nd controller is a no-brainer, but no restocks since Christmas!

BigPete

Got one! Finally!

Well, as long as it actually ships anyway. Wouldn't be the first time I had an order cancelled by best buy.

Got one mostly because of the 25 off 100 thing. Bought Yakuza 0 with it.

Anybody want mine? I could flip it on eBay but I'd rather a GAF lad get it

Ouch. Just missed it at Best Buy. When I added it to cart, it told me not available for online ordering, then it went to Out of Stock.

I guess I'll run to a store today and see if they got some in as well.

Top Bottom