• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES emulator discovered in Nintendo Switch firmware

This will not significantly decrease the size of VC games or increase firmware size... The JPG showing the box image probably takes up more space than the emulator executable and the rom combined.

They're gonna trickle again right back from NES, aren't they?

Virtual Console will never live up to it's potential :(

The fact that the emulator is built into the firmware rather than having a separate one packed with each game would actually suggest the trickle will be a lot faster. The excuse (not sure if it was real or not) for the trickle speed previously was that they needed to build a new emulator for each game, now they can just dump roms onto this single emulator.

I thought it was found through some sort of embedded code that a future update allowing you to log in somewhere else to access your save files was likely in a future firmware update? I remember reading the thread within the last week or so.

Save files, yes.

But you can already log in with your account on multiple Switches. You just have to reauthenticate with your login credentials each time you switch systems, and you can only set one console at a time as "active" for the digital content licenses associated with your account.

And obviously they don't have a way to back up/transfer/sync saves yet.

Source: My wife and I each own a Switch.

Top Bottom