• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Man, Dragon Warrior 2 can be brutal. Just finished up the lighthouse dungeon. I think that was the most times I've ever retried a dungeon in my life. They don't make maze-like dungeons like that any more:

USBoxwI.gif

And the random battles in that dungeon... fuck!

Siber Tigers and their random double attacks that pretty much guarantee one of your characters dying. Gorgons who amp themselves up so much you should just run 'cause they take so little damage. I don't remember what the red dragon fly things are, but these fuckers have a fire attack that hits all members of your party and you'll run into a group of 5 of them at once pretty much guaranteeing a game over. Climb all these floors to find a chest with a new weapon in it, which is worse than the one I already have. Bullshit.

I got through it, though. Four more crests to go!

-KRS-

Almost every PAL TV for 20+ years can handle an NTSC signal. And most for the 10 years before that. I played my Super Famicom on a 1985 model 'National' (Panasonic sub-brand) PAL TV for years. No need to mod anything with AV outputs.

Some of the more cheap CRTs, even newer ones, won't display any colors with an NTSC signal though. I've run into several this past year which only show a black & white picture unless you're using RGB SCART. Those were almost all exclusively no-name brands though, like Lumatron etc. If you have a Sony or Panasonic or something like that chances are it'll display it just fine. I did see a Philips CRT that also only showed a black & white picture though so even a well known brand like that might have issues.

guill

Hello guys il post pictures later, having issues right now, im from Panama and a dude appeared in our local buy and sale group. with those yellow nes carts, world class service, they are like joystiq test, port test, control deck test totalling five of them, his dad used to work in the nintendo service center of our region, i have not found a lot of info on this cartridges and also I see their prices varies a lot, how much will be a good price for them? il post pictures asap

Teknoman

Hello guys il post pictures later, having issues right now, im from Panama and a dude appeared in our local buy and sale group. with those yellow nes carts, world class service, they are like joystiq test, port test, control deck test totalling five of them, his dad used to work in the nintendo service center of our region, i have not found a lot of info on this cartridges and also I see their prices varies a lot, how much will be a good price for them? il post pictures asap

I dunno...but they usually go for alot. Hell any test cartridge.

Het_Nkik

On eBay I see two Control Deck Test Cartridges that sold for $400 each and one Joystick Test Cartridge that's currently being sold for $500 but nobody has bought it.

Was determined to finish Dragon Warrior 2 today. Pretty sure I've been playing for a good 10 hours straight, but it is done:

Fucking hard game. I don't know how people figured out some of the dungeons in these old games without the internet back in the day. Outside of Nintendo Power of course.

Was enjoyable, but nothing amazing. Hope Three and Four are better. I've always heard Four is amazing.

Time for bed. My partner already fell asleep on me a couple hours ago:

Damn quitter.

PopeReal

Was determined to finish Dragon Warrior 2 today. Pretty sure I've been playing for a good 10 hours straight, but it is done:

Fucking hard game. I don't know how people figured out some of the dungeons in these old games without the internet back in the day. Outside of Nintendo Power of course.

Was enjoyable, but nothing amazing. Hope Three and Four are better. I've always heard Four is amazing.

Time for bed. My partner already fell asleep on me a couple hours ago:

Damn quitter.

3 and 4 are fun as hell.

4 is my favorite. It's already super fun, but when you also take into consideration the limitations of NES technology coupled with how rudimentary storytelling in games was at that time, it's straight up impressive.

3 and 4 are fun as hell.

Glad to hear this. Just need to find copies of them now.

haha congrats hero! how was the grind compared to 1?
and yeah, both my tiny dog & kitten pass out early into my marathons

It's been years since I played the first game. But, this one seemed way harder to me.

Mzo

Dragon Quest games aren't hard. It's not like you have to perform difficult maneuvers with perfect timing to get past areas. It's just grind a zone until you're strong enough to get a foot in the next one and can afford the strongest available gear. Nothing hard about that.

Mzo

RPGs can be hard, yes. They can have strategy-heavy fights that don't allow you to brute force your way through. Did the early Dragon Quests have that? I never finished 3 or 4.

Weegee

Are flea markets a disappointment in general for finding nes games? I went to one today and found a copy of final fantasy for nes in good condition for 10 bucks from one seller. I ended up buying it because it seemed like a decent price for a game that was in such good condition.

This other seller though, had a lot of nes and snes games but they were in poor condition. The carts were dirty and had discoloration in most cases.Some of the labels were peeling off. I asked him if he had SMB 2 or Mike Tyson's Punch Out and he dug out several tubs from his van to find them for me but he wanted for 15 bucks Super Mario Bros 2 that was in poor condition. He ended up not having Mike Tyson, but he pulled out some boxes with super nintendo games so I asked if I could look through them. I was a little surprised when he told me no even though he had already gotten them out. I really wanted to just stand there and tell any potential customers that his games were in shit condition and they shouldn't buy them.

This other seller wanted 40 bucks for a loose copy of Super Mario Kart. The local used game shop in my town has it for 20 bucks. All in all it was a disappointing trip.

Teknoman

Are flea markets a disappointment in general for finding nes games? I went to one today and found a copy of final fantasy for nes in good condition for 10 bucks from one seller. I ended up buying it because it seemed like a decent price for a game that was in such good condition.

This other seller though, had a lot of nes and snes games but they were in poor condition. The carts were dirty and had discoloration in most cases.Some of the labels were peeling off. I asked him if he had SMB 2 or Mike Tyson's Punch Out and he dug out several tubs from his van to find them for me but he wanted for 15 bucks Super Mario Bros 2 that was in poor condition. He ended up not having Mike Tyson, but he pulled out some boxes with super nintendo games so I asked if I could look through them. I was a little surprised when he told me no even though he had already gotten them out. I really wanted to just stand there and tell any potential customers that his games were in shit condition and they shouldn't buy them.

This other seller wanted 40 bucks for a loose copy of Super Mario Kart. The local used game shop in my town has it for 20 bucks. All in all it was a disappointing trip.

Its a gamble no matter what. I got Adventure Island 2 and SCAT a little while ago for 3 bucks each in good shape, while other times i've seen beat up copies of Double Dragon 3 asking for 15 bucks.

eXistor

Kind of crossposting from the August pick-up thread, but I think it's okay. I was able to get an Action 52 for €70,- today. I feel pretty good about that.

aKGryfP.jpg

yLKyeQF.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey guys - I'm not going to plug my blog here (as in, I'm not giving out my web address...), but if anyone is interested in writing up mini reviews for NES games to share the retro nostalgia thing with new collectors, PM me. I'm doing it for GB/GBC/GBA stuff currently, but I'd love to have some NES/SNES/GEN/N64 stuff eventually. :)

It's not a paid gig or anything, it's just a way of sharing some thoughts and opinions on retro titles from today's gaming perspective. Hopefully I can shed some light on some lesser known or overlooked titles.

E: Actually related to NES (sort of). I picked up DW 1&2 (albeit for GB), but since you just finished it...

Did you use guides/internet/whatever? I'd like to play through 2 without any help from the web (same with 3), but if it's going to be nearly impossible to do so, I may have to resort to a few minor tips so I don't go crazy. I've finished DW1 enough on NES and GB to feel comfortable with no help on that one.

Def Jukie

Does Salamander have any major differences compared to Life Force? I already have Life Force but I'm tempted to pick up Salamander just because the cart looks so cool. If the game is significantly different it may just push me over the edge.

robot

Does Salamander have any major differences compared to Life Force? I already have Life Force but I'm tempted to pick up Salamander just because the cart looks so cool. If the game is significantly different it may just push me over the edge.

According to HG101, Salamander has a different ending and 3 options instead of 2.

Edit: Also looks like the konami code doesn't work in Salamander, but does for Life Force.

Did you use guides/internet/whatever? I'd like to play through 2 without any help from the web (same with 3), but if it's going to be nearly impossible to do so, I may have to resort to a few minor tips so I don't go crazy. I've finished DW1 enough on NES and GB to feel comfortable with no help on that one.

I used a guide a couple of times when I couldn't figure out what to do next. I think it's certainly doable without, though. But, there are a couple of times that you may start pulling your hair out trying to figure out what you're supposed to do next. The gameboy color remakes might be better about directing you at these times.

Teknoman

So aside from Monster Party, Sweet Home, CV series, and the Megami Tensei games, anyone come across any good horror themed action titles or rpgs? Its been awhile since we've had a good new recommendation info dump :p

mltplkxr

So aside from Monster Party, Sweet Home, CV series, and the Megami Tensei games, anyone come across any good horror themed action titles or rpgs? Its been awhile since we've had a good new recommendation info dump :p

I wouldn't say it's horror themed, but Deadly Towers was clearly forged in the deepest fiery pits of hell. It is a maddeningly difficult game that will give you nightmares.

More seriously, there's Friday the 13th and Dr Chaos. Wouldn't know if they are good. Always had a soft spot for Dr Chaos but never really tried to finish it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Went to this really strange game 'store' out here on the island the other day - it's in the basement of a tobacco shop and is cash-only (it's totally an underground thing off IRS radar), stacked wall-to-wall with retro games of varying conditions/completeness.

I managed to find CIB copies of Dynowarz, The Mafat Conspiracy (never played but I was a huge fan of the original Golgo 13 back in the day) and Wizardry NES, in gorgeous condition. Very excited with the finds.

The store also had repros of all of the NES holy grails, including a Mr. Gimmick repro, Fire and Ice repro, DuckTales 2 repro, Little Samson repro, and Mother 1 english. I dunno how I feel about repros (apart from fan translated games)... I think I'd rather just splurge and get the box, book, etc.

Teknoman

Went to this really strange game 'store' out here on the island the other day - it's in the basement of a tobacco shop and is cash-only (it's totally an underground thing off IRS radar), stacked wall-to-wall with retro games of varying conditions/completeness.

I managed to find CIB copies of Dynowarz, The Mafat Conspiracy (never played but I was a huge fan of the original Golgo 13 back in the day) and Wizardry NES, in gorgeous condition. Very excited with the finds.

The store also had repros of all of the NES holy grails, including a Mr. Gimmick repro, Fire and Ice repro, DuckTales 2 repro, Little Samson repro, and Mother 1 english. I dunno how I feel about repros (apart from fan translated games)... I think I'd rather just splurge and get the box, book, etc.

Games that released in your region, i'd say stay away from repros, but stuff like Gimmick? If that didnt release in your region, i'd go for it.

I find my CIB collection leaning toward horror related games:

Monster Party, Nightmare on Elmstreet, Maniac Mansion, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, Fester's Quest

I need Sweethome (english repro), Uninvited, Ghoul School, Ghostbusters 2, Monsters in my Pocket, and anything else you guys come up with.

Horror games are the best games.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Getsu Fuuma Den! Konami action-RPG, JP-only, Kamiya-approved.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just picked up a CIB Ultima 5... box has a bit of wear and tear, including missing the two tabs that you fold in... and the book has a bit of folding... but apparently this game is really hard to find?

Top Bottom