• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netanyahu wanted to attack Iran but was overruled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyd0nia

Banned
We are talking military advisors here, not political ones. I highly doubt a Republican administration is going to overrule every single military advisor. Not to mention I don't believe a Republican cabinet/white house staff is going to lean that way either since most of America's interests are the same no matter who is in the White House.

Unfortunately the US' history appears to suggest that military advisors will happily kow to the will of the elected administration.

Republicans of the day (with too few exceptions) speak a lot of absolute shit that suggests they put the interests of other countries before their own, the interests of other countries before what's good for the region. Perpetual war is good for the military industrial business, it's good for the oil business so of course the greedy scum are in favour of it. Long may they stay out of power! Long may the kind of level headed diplimacy we're seeing today continue.

Iraq. The Bush dynasty. The false pretenses and dodgy dossiers. Never forget.

Jonm1010

Banned
We are talking military advisors here, not political ones. I highly doubt a Republican administration is going to overrule every single military advisor. Not to mention I don't believe a Republican cabinet/white house staff is going to lean that way either since most of America's interests are the same no matter who is in the White House.

A presidents decision making is influenced by his own picked advisors along with senior members of the military(of which diversity of opinion exists and thus requires, at times, to pick favorites). That is just facts. It is also fact that the two parties have some very different ideas on foreign policy. Heck even within individual parties you have the Sanders and the Clintons, the Ron Paul's and the Romneys. Any of those four would have different advisors, goals, ideas, calculations, policies and approach to foreign policy.

Yes, like I said, certain broad interests would be shared but the approach and actions could be notably different. Ron Paul's ideas of how best to secure American security in the Middle East would be starkly different to Romney's. Romneys would differ from Obama's.

This just sounds like a poor attempt of the weak "they're all the same" nonsense people like to throw out there.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin by a right wing Israli extremist was the turning point IMO

Israel has gone far right neo-con since Likud dominated the Prime Ministership since the late 90s.

Israel needs a cultural shift in their political class

20120711-Bill_Clinton_Yitzhak_Rabin_Yasser_Arafat_at_the_White_House_1993.jpg

this picture here was probbly the closest ever of getting to peace.

It went sharp downhill after Rabin's death and Israel has gone full Right Wing nutter since the turn of the 21st Century.
Agreed.
I swear, sometimes I think that the problem which causes the Israeli public to keep voting Bibi in is the lack of a grey-haired old white dude to vote for in the other camp.
Democracy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom