• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netduma R1 Router Impressions of how it really eliminates lag

I know this is for the people without any knowledge of their home networks, but for anyone that is willing to learn even a little bit you could use DD-WRT or Tomato on most modern routers.

NeOak

I know this is for the people without any knowledge of their home networks, but for anyone that is willing to learn even a little bit you could use DD-WRT or Tomato on most modern routers.

Or for those that don't have the time to do that.

Deku Tree

I bet those tools don't give you an easy to look at and quick to use GUI interface that lets you find the laggers and ban them from connecting with you again. And I imagine they don't give you a one click solution for restricting the geographical distance of people who you want to connect with.

geordiemp

Yep people are already using this router to cheat in online call of duty tournaments. They'll block an opposing player to force forfeits or make them play a man down. Its also used to delay match starts.

Yup, this is open to easy cheating and network manipulation, you can block players of opposing teams if you wish.

Its sad that games like COD and destiny cannot just match on PING and nobody would feel the need to do this.

I honestly think that the more people that use this the worse the matchmaking and connections get for everyone else.

Ever since Driftor made the first video on the router my connection has been steadily getting worse and worse. Now I can't find a single game where I have consistent 3 or higher bars. This geo-filtering is screwing it up for everyone who doesn't want to or can't shell out $200 for an overpriced router.

NeOak

I honestly think that the more people that use this the worse the matchmaking and connections get for everyone else.

Ever since Driftor made the first video on the router my connection has been steadily getting worse and worse. Now I can't find a single game where I have consistent 3 or higher bars. This geo-filtering is screwing it up for everyone who doesn't want to or can't shell out $200 for an overpriced router.

What game?

Deku Tree

You ain't kidding, I looked up the tech specs and the hardware is equivalent to most $100 routers.

You can buy the exact router for $70 on Amazon. A link was posted earlier. The unique thing this company is really selling the ease of use software instructions and tech support. Overpriced? Probably but no one else is selling a router + very easy to use software that can really eliminate almost all of the lag for people using it

Advanced Warfare. I can see how geo-filtering can screw up matchmaking. They have an algorithm (even if it isn't the greatest) and this manual geo-filtering screws with it.

Play with a friend who is using one. Problem solved.

Deku Tree

It's an okay router for those with zero networking experience.

Even if you have networking experience, is it really that easy to constantly check the pings on 11 other players in a 6v6 P2P PvP matchup? And to restrict your connections to IPs within a certain geotagged radius? And to ban people with laggy connections from connecting with you in the future? Can you really do that with one or two clicks if you know what you are doing? ( serious question I have no idea the answer.)

jimboton

Was ready to mock it from the title but hey if it does what you say it does I can see it being useful.

Still though, the root cause of your problems are matchmaking, it's silly that you have to buy some expensive router to try and bandaid it.

Dedicated servers + ping cap (autokick when over the max ping) is the nobrainer easy proper solution that has been standard in gaming for like 20 years.
Your problem is one that should not exist to begin with.

This is the truth. EA and Microsoft use dedicated servers (some games) why can't Acti with its record breaking chart topping super ambitious ten year spanning social FPS. It's a a little bit ridiculous.

Still, I'm seriously considering buying this. Gonna learnn more about it,

Deku Tree

This is the truth. EA and Microsoft use dedicated servers (some games) why can't Acti with its record breaking chart topping super ambitious ten year spanning social FPS. It's a a little bit ridiculous.

Still, I'm seriously considering buying this. Gonna learnn more about it,

Dedicated servers aren't a universally better option (see Halo MCC).

Also it's just a guess but I think that Acti prioritizes the shortest possible search times vastly more than reducing lag by geo limiting MM.

Devildoll

Does it only fix lag by eliminating crappy matchmaking, or does it have souped up hardware that minimizes any latency on your lan-end as well?

NeOak

It's an okay router for those with zero networking experience.
I've taken Cisco CCNA and CCNP courses and have networking experience.

Sup.

Does it only fix lag by eliminating crappy matchmaking, or does it have souped up hardware that minimizes any latency on your lan-end as well?

The hardware is considered "mid range". For LAN it is fine and it has strong bandwidth management with priority like other routers.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Openwrt is great you don't need specifically this router like this to make use of it. Openwrt is even better when you SSH and install various mods that let you really configure stuff. Gaffers you have to options on this issue get a router that does openwrt or dd wrt well, you need it to disable certain things via ssh or command prompt that normal firmware locks away and leaves as linux default. Those are standard fair CeroWRT is the only true router firmware, but you need routers it only is used on. A lot of stuff in Cerowrt gets built in to openwrt eventually.

Here's how to make network gaming tweaks super easy for most gaffers here.

Disable all UDP offloading on your machine. Disable interrupt moderation.
Disable receive side scaling, only really helps tcp and causes buffer bloat for udp if it ever uses it.
Disable Offloading causes buffer bloat., restricts buffers in sysctl, and use a command like sysctl -w net.core.default_qdisc=fq_codel to switch your crappy first in first out queue to a modern queue.
If this router uses openwrt, make sure luci-sqm is installed. Make sure sqm is applied to all needed interfaces.
If you use wireless disable aggregation or severely lessen the packet size, wireless has all sort of unmanaged bufferbloat issues. Also always mark your wireless packets so they are processed right by wmm.

Lag will always exists as long as their are bad router, bad engines, bad isps and badly configured machines. You can only deal with some problems but in the right games you get a much better feel.

DevilDoll you don't need a souped up router. You really need decent tech that support certain features, at least 64MB of ram, and decent linux distros I've mentioned which would be openwrt or ddwrt, very here will have support to use Cerowrt. Gaffers get off crappy router firmware or routers in general it's making our gaming bad finally am on something that lets me make this TWC useable here.

NeOak

Openwrt is great you don't need a router like this to make use of it. Openwrt is even better when you SSH and install various mods that let you really configure stuff.

Here's how to make gaming super easy for most gaffers here.

Disable all UDP offloading on your machine.
Disable receive side scaling, only really helps tcp and causes buffer bloat for udp if it ever uses it.
Disable Offloading on the router, causes buffer bloat.
If this router uses openwrt, make sure luci-sqm is installed. Make sure sqm is applied to all needed interfaces.

Lag will always exists as long as their are bad router, bad isps and badly configured machines.

You're missing the point of what this router does. Did you read the OP? It's the geo-filter. Your instructions don't deal with distance.

Daffy Duck

Pretty much yes, it just stops you connecting to rubbish hosts outside of the filter area and also blocks hosts above a ping threshold.

So in AW it stopped me connecting to players/dedicated servers in Italy/Spain Germany and holland.

It does have stuff in it to stop ddos attacks of you're a streamer.

It's also helped all of my consoles (360,X1 & ps4) have an open nat all the time as on my BT home hub only one console in the dmz at a time meant the others were moderate, so if I played on a different console I had to change the dmz setting.

Deku Tree

Oh so I already have a wifi network in my house that I like and I want to keep. And I have my own cable modem.

Can I still use the Netduma to filter my PvP MM searches in Destiny? Where would I set it up in between my modem and my wifi network?

jimboton

Dedicated servers aren't a universally better option (see Halo MCC).

Also it's just a guess but I think that Acti prioritizes the shortest possible search times vastly more than reducing lag by geo limiting MM.

Dedicated servers (that work as intended) are indeed the universally better option when it comes to online gaming. Even when p2p 'works' it's an intrinsically unfair system in which one of the players has host advantage. It's not 2007 anymore, it's 2015, the age of the cloud (lol) we really should ask for all important competitive online games to have dedis, Battlefield style.

Just because one can fuck up the launch of a game that uses dedicated servers (though MCC also uses p2p) doesn't mean there's something wrong with the system from the users point of view. From the provider's point of view it is the more expensive approach, so there's that, but in Destiny's case, I'd say Acti is making more than enough money from game & dlcs to afford something better than what we have.

NeOak

Oh so I already have a wifi network in my house that I like and I want to keep. And I have my own cable modem.

Can I still use the Netduma to filter my PvP MM searches in Destiny? Where would I set it up in between my modem and my wifi network?

You set up the Wi-Fi router as an access point and then use the Netduma as the Router connected to the Cable Modem with the Netduma's Wi-Fi disabled.

That is what I did.

LCGeek

formerly sane
You're missing the point of what this router does. Did you read the OP? It's the geo-filter. Your instructions don't deal with distance.

I get that point but there are still other ways to deal with lag depending on the source including making your own packages similar to that in one of the things I mentioned.

Its one aspect of an otherwise great router. The tech isn't unique anything that can't or isn't already being done in linux and is offered through the very firmware openwrt uses. A geo filter isn't all that useful in certain genres. Nor is a geofilter getting rid of lag except to filter a host out which is my point. This doesn't change in certain games you will get matched and have to play people regardless. Nice when useable otherwise doing nothing for you or other users in terms of lag.

You can't deal with distance lag it's a part of physics or misconfigured machines it's selling you a lie except to filter them out which you can learn to do without all the router hype.

My instructions don't deal with distance nor do I make the claim.

NeOak

I get that point but there are still other ways to deal with lag depending on the source including making your own packages similar to that in one of the things I mentioned.

Its one aspect of an otherwise great router. The tech isn't unique anything that can be done in linux and is offered through the very firmware openwrt uses. A geo filter isn't all that useful in certain genres. Nor is a geofilter getting rid of lag except to filter a host out which is my point. This doesn't change in certain games you will get matched and have to play people regardless. Nice when useable

You can't deal with distance or misconfigured machines it's selling you a lie except to filter them out which you can learn to do without alll the router hype.

My instructions don't deal with distance nor do I make the claim.

Indeed. Your instructions are great for people that play MMOs and other games that use dedicated servers that won't get a benefit from using a geo-filter.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Indeed. Your instructions are great for people that play MMOs and other games that use dedicated servers that won't get a benefit from using a geo-filter.

Bufferbloat effects anything on a given router, heres's a test on 50Mbps comcast connection. Doing certin tweaks effects anything in the network stacks not certain genreas that's nagle or leatrix tweaks. Offloading causes useless buffering and adds to latency and jitter.

ocean

Banned
Almost done with business school. When I move back home this is the first thing in buying.

Red bars: never again.

Costia

So this is a rebranded 40$ router sold for 200$ with a fancy UI?
http://routerboard.com/RB260GS
Suggested price $39.95
740_l.jpg

RB951G-2hnd.png

Edit: actually looks like it's the higher priced 60-80$ version with WI FI

My mates who work in IT networking were I trigued by the geo filtering...apparently free geo databases (mapping ip addresses to real life locations) are pretty crap so they wondered where netduma got theirs.

The reason I mention this is because I'm not sure what databases the other propesed routers and router firmware use.

Some of the cost in netduma may be going on licencing the geo info.

It looks really awesome at what it does!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Running special software. Of course it is lol

Firmware is a completely different OS from the standard it's not special it's just not the regular crap some manufactuer might put on it. The software isn't special unless you compare to it something else that isn't what I mentioned. How you configure it really makes a difference.

It using OpenWrt and some type of ui package plus the geofilter and some other mods people can find or build on their own.

Top Bottom