• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix 2017 Movie Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Rest of them here. Only listed 12 of the 24.

Take the 10
7WjQGsX.jpg

Director: Chester Tam
Cast: Josh Peck, Tony Revolori

Writer/director Chester Tam makes his feature film debut with this Superbad-esque
story about two guys (Josh Peck and The Grand Budapest Hotel‘s Tony Revolori) en route to a hip-hop show. Done right, this could be a lot of fun.

Release Date: January 20

I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore
9BsMaGx.jpg

Director: Macon Blair
Cast: Melanie Lynskey, Elijah Wood, Jane Levy

You might remember Macon Blair from his performances in director Jeremy Saulnier's films Blue Ruin and Green Room. He's stepping into the director's chair for this one, a story about a woman whose home is burglarized who then joins her weird neighbor on a quest to find out who did it. This sounds like exactly the kind of dramatic setup with absurdist undertones that characterizes those Saulnier films, which means we could have something very interesting on the way.

Release Date: February 24

Burning Sands
EMNR87x.jpg

Director: Gerard McMurray
Cast: Trevor Jackson, Alfre Woodard, Trevante Rhodes

The huge success of Moonlight this year should have everybody excited to see what Trevante Rhodes (above) does next, so this should get some attention. But the star of this college-hazing drama is actually Trevor Jackson, of the most recent season of American Crime.

Release Date: March 10

Deidra & Laney Rob a Train
LUAOlsX.jpg

Director: Sydney Freeland
Cast: Ashleigh Murray, Rachel Crow

If you see one movie about teenage sisters who turn to train robbery to make ends meet after their mother gets arrested in 2017, make it Deidra & Laney Rob a Train. This one is premiering at the Sundance Film Festival, and the premise is interesting enough that we would not be surprised if it gets a lot of attention.

Release Date: Premieres at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23

A Futile and Stupid Gesture
Oumhifm.jpg

Director: David Wain
Cast: Will Forte, Emmy Rossum, Domhnall Gleeson

David Wain, director of Wet Hot American Summer, Role Models, and Wanderlust, has pulled together a fantastic cast for this movie about the creation of the National Lampoon. While certainly this will have a lot of comedic material, it'll be interesting to see what Wain does with a true story. This is also the movie where Joel McHale will be playing Chevy Chase, which is worth a look on its own.

Release Date: TBA

Bright
lYiJnCb.jpg

Director: David Ayer
Cast: Will Smith, Joel Edgerton

Suicide Squad may have been a total bomb with critics, but it made a LOT of money, so re-teaming Will Smith with his Suicide Squad director David Ayer likely made good business sense. The plot of this one isn't very clear, though we know the script is by female-science-fiction-character-critic Max Landis, so glean from that what you will. But as one of the few true movie stars we have, Smith has shown an ability to make all kinds of material work.

Death Note
LLjy6n0.jpg

Director: Adam Wingard
Cast: Nat Wolff, Margaret Qualley, Keith Stanfield

The American adaptation of the manga series raised some eyebrows for white actors Wolff and Qualley in the lead roles, but there is a LOT of anticipation for this one. Even considering the setback that was Blair Witch, Adam Wingard has still directed some of the best horror movies of the last five years in You're Next and The Guest, so he's definitely got the chops.

Naked
tETqg8w.jpg

Director: Michael Tiddes
Cast: Marlon Wayans, Regina Hall

Marlon Wayans and Michael Tiddes teamed up last year for the comedy spoof Fifty Shades of Black. This year's Naked sounds more like a Groundhog Day-esque take on a wedding comedy, with Wayans and Regina Hall as the leads.

Okja
2mfeznl.jpg

Director: Bong Joon-ho
Cast: Ahn Seo-Hyun, Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Lily Collins, Steven Yeun

Remember when Tilda Swinton and Margaret Cho got in that email discussion/argument about Doctor Strange and Tilda said she was co-producing a movie with Bong Joon-ho with roles for Asians? Welcome to Okja, which also appears to have made room for roles for Jake Gyllenhaal, Lily Collins, and Paul Dano. Bong Joon-ho's Snowpiercer was a dazzling English-language debut, so there is a LOT of anticipation for this one.

The Discovery
EG78I8X.jpg

Director: Charlie McDowell
Cast: Rooney Mara, Jason Segel, Riley Keough, Jesse Plemons, Robert Redford

Mara and Segel are the main players in this sci-fi romance from the director of the wonderfully underrated The One I Love. The film is set one year after existence of the afterlife has been scientifically proven. The cast is fantastic and the launchpad of the Sundance Film Festival later this month could mean big things for the film.

War Machine
cgl1XWO.jpg

Director: David Michod
Cast: Brad Pitt, Ben Kingsley, Tilda Swinton

Brad Pitt is producing and starring in this war comedy directed by Animal Kingdom‘s David Michod. The cast is crazy talented, including Tilda Swinton, Ben Kingsley, Emory Cohen, Topher Grace, and much more.

Gerald's Game
b4HPxNV.jpg

Director: Mike Flanagan
Cast: Carla Gugino, Bruce Greenwood

Based on the Stephen King novel, Gerald's Game starts off with a couple experimenting with some light bondage in bed. It ends up becoming a harrowing story of one woman's fight for survival. While it's unknown whether the connection will be made, it should be noted that Gerald's Game the novel enjoys a connection to King's Dolores Claiborne.

Damn, the talent here is insane.

Oh, and Gerald's Game is from the director of Hush, Oculus, and the alleged actually pretty decent Ouija: Origin of Evil. I'm pretty excited about that

How the flying fuck did Netflix get movies starring Will Smith and Brad Pitt

Also throwing shade at Swinton for Okja is stupid, Snowpiercer had alllll kinds of people in it

Oh...Bong Joon-ho did The Host

Okay, now I'm really excited for Okja. It sounds like a modern The Last Guardian (probably with more action and maybe an ever bigger beast)
A young girl named Mija risks everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend — a massive animal named Okja.

Won

Special thanks to another Adam Sandler movie, a necessary evil, which is probably funding half of those movies. At least that's how this works in my head.

I still can't believe that they're doing Gerald's Game. Stephen King has written tons of great books, why the fuck would you pick Gerald's Game of all things?

I still can't believe that they're doing Gerald's Game. Stephen King has written tons of great books, why the fuck would you pick Gerald's Game of all things?
It could make an interesting survival movie

I wouldn't judge the movie's potential based on the book. Somehow the director salvaged a decent horror movie from Ouja

Kinyou

Were all of those always aiming for netflix did they end up buying the distribution rights? I mean damn, there's some big talent here.

The most important thing I see on that list is that the director of Memories of Murder has a movie coming out starring Jake Gyllenhaal, and features his Prisoners co-star Paul Dano.

I want to watch the death note movie but I'm scared they will butcher it like the Japanese live version.
I have a high standard because I love death note.

You have no idea. I'm forseeing DB: Evolution levels of bad.
The director of Final Destination and The One versus the director of You're Next, The Guest, and Blair Witch?

It's not even a comparable situation besides them both being adaptations. It's like saying because Fantastic Four was a disaster, then one should always expect a comic book movie to be a disaster

Ridley327

Judging by how enthusiastic Wingard has been about making the film, I expect Death Note to be pretty fun, even if it's not going to be high cinema.

That being said, I am almost uncomfortably excited for both Okja and War Machine, Gerald's Game is on the radar due to how much I loved Hush, and I think David Wain is a really inspired choice to tackle the origins of National Lampoon.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm hoping this Gerald's Game adaptation leads to a new version of Dolores Claiborne.

I kinda liked the original movie adaptation, but much like the Hearts in Atlantis movie it left a bit too much out, and suffered when it came to the side characters.

I don't know how Gerald's Game is going to be a movie, it seemed like a short more than anything unless there is serious retooling. I do hope they've changed
Gerald being a horrible person. I think the situation would be much scarier and more traumatic if he died doing something they were both into. Adds another level of horror/suspense knowing that he was a decent person, instead of the asshole husband trope that's in every horror movie and King story.

I don't know how Gerald's Game is going to be a movie, it seemed like a short more than anything unless there is serious retooling
If one can make a movie about a guy whose arm is trapped by a rock or a movie about someone buried alive set entirely in the coffin, why would Gerald's Game be so hard to do?

kris.

Banned
A Futile and Stupid Gesture is day fucking one for me. Also curious to see Death Note. I'm not an anime fan at all but Wingard is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom