• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix 2017 Movie Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one can make a movie about a guy whose arm is trapped by a rock or a movie about someone buried alive set entirely in the coffin, why would Gerald's Game be so hard to do?

They could, but I didn't care for Buried or 127 Hours, so I might be biased. I did love Locke though.My guess is that the internal dialog might become a conversation with Space Cowboy/Imaginary Figures and flashback scenes.

evanmisha

That Death Note movie is nowhere in sight. I'm imagining some greenhorn film school grads furiously typing as the song from Finding Nemo plays, only it's 'Just keep editing! Just keep editing!'

Miracle

Please don't be absolutely terrible Death Note.

They have Willem Dafoe as Ryuk. So this cant be that bad right...right?

dafoe.gif

Nudull

Banned
I expect little else than tone-deaf awfulness from Death Note, with some R-rated boobs and extra gore poured in because OW THE EDGE. I say this as someone who liked The Guest and You're Next.

Also, lol David Ayer

big ander

Bong joon-ho 🙌
Whether okja will be good'll depend on the kid and the monster. If both are convincing I'm confident he can do something as good as The Host again.

Other big one is the David Wain national lampoon movie. He's already a master of absurdist comedy so I'm interested in seeing what he'll do with a true story. It not being written by him and showalter's worrying though.

The new mike Flanagan could be good. War Machine maybe, with that stacked cast, and Animal Kingdom was good. Macon Blair movie has potential.

should've posted them all tho OP, missed some good ones. Coin Heist sounds promising (Emily hagins is supposed to be a wunderkind). This sci if movie Io with Margaret Qualley and Anthony Mackie looks intriguing. Girlfriend's Day written by and starring Bob Odenkirk and directed by Michael Stephenson of Troll 2/Best Worst Movie fame (and the doc The American Scream, terribly underrated).

Most glaring: Mute, the Duncan Jones sci-fi neo-noir. Signs pointing to it being the follow-up to Moon he's denied us so far.

This is a solid film lineup. Not good enough to make me forgive Netflix for their dismal catalog and near-abandonment of the dvd side, and I'll still see these in theaters, but hey. solid

Ridley327

Okja isn't getting a theater release ? That's unexpected.

Anything Bong Joon-ho is day one for me anyway

Netflix does do qualifying theatrical releases, but those are basically two screens in NY and LA. Theater chains have made it plainly obvious that they do not care much for how Netflix has handled their distribution model, which has been largely to Amazon's benefit.

Ridley327

Didn't Landis get paid crazy money for that Bright script?

Yeah, there was apparently quite a bidding war over it. It's by far the most mainstream film that Netflix has picked up, with a pretty big budget to boot, so it should make for interesting bit of counter-programming next to theatrically released films this year.

seat

A movie about National Lampoon, directed by David Wain, featuring Joel McHale playing a young Chevy Chase. That sounds like the makings of one of the greatest films ever made.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have high hopes for a couple, like Okja, but a lot of these sound like Netflix just throwing money at things and hoping something sticks. It reeks of a lot of muddled or lazy ideas getting a quick greenlit due to Netflix trying to scoop up content, any content at all.

Were all of those always aiming for netflix did they end up buying the distribution rights? I mean damn, there's some big talent here.
Definitely a few are just things they picked up.

They picked up the territories outside of North America and New Zealand. It continues to be a Syfy show, and its domestic streaming deal is with Amazon.

ViciousDS

Banned
Adam wingard is directing death note? Oh.......I might actually be curious how the American version of it turns out after all. Dude is a fricken genius

crustikid

Would be nice to know if these are actually getting decent theatrical releases. Last-last year Cary Fukunaga's film Beasts of No Nation got a really shitty simultaneous theatrical-streaming release, and no one came to theatres to watch it. Then the film was quickly forgotten.

It's nice that Netflix is beefing up its content catalog, but movies shouldn't be glazed over. I like what Amazon is doing with their theatrical releases and at least having some time between theatrical and streaming. Some of these movies are so small that you need time for the word of mouth to build, and for the public to get wind of a good release.

Would be nice to know if these are actually getting decent theatrical releases. Last-last year Cary Fukunaga's film Beasts of No Nation got a really shitty simultaneous theatrical-streaming release, and no one came to theatres to watch it. Then the film was quickly forgotten.

Kermode went nuts when Netflix refused to screen 13th outside of a single theater in the UK, but I don't know if anybody is trying to or even can put more pressure on Netflix to actually give their best films a shot at wider release.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kermode went nuts when Netflix refused to screen 13th outside of a single theater in the UK, but I don't know if anybody is trying to or even can put more pressure on Netflix to actually give their best films a shot at wider release.
Unless Netflix is willing to give theaters an earlier window, 99% of them will have zero interest in screening something that's simultaneously dropping on a streaming service with nearly 50 million American subscribers. The same situation is going to repeat in other countries. It's just a business calculation. Netflix isn't interested in the theatrical world except where it's necessary to get awards attention.

Pretty hyped about war machine and Okja cause of the talent behind and in front of the camera (despite me not being a fan of snowpiercer).

Bright interests me because of its absurd concept too. I hope they pull it off. David Wain movie sounds dope too. Netflix leveling up with their movies big time this year

platakul

Banned
death note and gerald's game are things I'll watch, but ehhhh I haven't been sold on any Netflix movie yet compared to their shows. Beasts was ok, Tallulah was ok. But that's it. OK

Icolin

Banned
Hyped for Okja, I mean it's coming from the guy who already made one of the best monster movies of the past decade in "The Host", and Snowpiercer was a very solid Hollywood debut film. Can't go wrong with that cast either, especially w/ Tilda Swinton who stole the show in Snowpiercer and most recently Doctor Strange, and fuckin' Jake Gyllenhaal too.

hidys

I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about Bright since it seems unique but I don't really have an opinion yet about most of these.

UrbanRats

Oh...Bong Joon-ho did The Host

The Host is great, but Memories of Murder is clearly his masterpiece.

Snow piercer was alright fun, but hopefully he'll go back to his usual quality.
I don't like it when these AsianKorean directors make the Hollywood jump, it rarely works out that well.

obin_gam

Blair Witch was considered a setback? According to whom?
I though it was fairly well received by critics and fans alike.

tolkir

Where's The Host 2, Bong Joon-ho?

I saw a trailer a few years ago and we know nothing more.

Snow piercer was alright fun, but hopefully he'll go back to his usual quality.
I don't like it when these AsianKorean directors make the Hollywood jump, it rarely works out that well.

Snowpiercer is a Korean movie with foreign actors and location. Different case to Last Stand or Stoker where directors were to cash the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom