• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Death Note Trailer. Release August 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not enough footage to tell if it'll be good and true to the original, or Hollywood-filled teenage angst, love triangles and people explaining all their feelings... So I guess I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for a while longer.

Looks hot. I have a feeling this will surprise a lot of people.

That's the third "Based on the international phenomenon" I've seen this morning. Come up with a different phrase, trailer people.

I hope Wingard's trademark dark humor is still there. Wasn't in the trailer.

Keith Stanfield is one of the best young actors out there and will be a great L

Dafoe is a pretty dope choice for Ryuk too. I think this could be good. Not ready to throw this in the bushes until impressions and I watch it tbh. I like some of the directors movies

Fury451

Banned
*shrug*

Japan did their live-action version. Names are changed. I don't really believe in the casting though.

I liked the Japanese live-action. It felt like it still had some good atmosphere which is no small task considering how outlandish the concept is translated to live action, and they made pragmatic changes to the story that I think actually worked better than what the story was. That's not to say its superior, just that it worked fairly well imo.

The casting looks pretty bad, but Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is damn inspired, though I expect we'll be getting some ham and cheese, which works here.

Keith Stanfield is one of the best young actors out there and will be a great L

Dafoe is a pretty dope choice for Ryuk too. I think this could be good. Not ready to throw this in the bushes until impressions and I watch it tbh. I like some of the directors movies

Yeah, that was a good casting choice.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

Aiii

So not worth it
I liked the Japanese live-action. It felt like it still had some good atmosphere, and they made pragmatic changes to the story that I think actually worked better than what the story was. That's not to say its superior, just that it worked fairly well imo.

More people should check out the 2015 drama, I think it did an even better job of adapting the manga (and altering all the right bits to make it better).

Jotaka

4JSNgWL.gif

Prompto

Banned
In for Dafoe hopefully hamming it up.

Never really liked the guy they got for Light in anything I've seen him in though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dafoe voicing Ryuk is actually brilliant, I hope they mocapped his face.

Skinpop

More people should check out the 2015 drama, I think it did an even better job of adapting the manga.

gotta disagree with this. i think the movies were serviceable but this drama is bottom tier trash. Especially what they did with L is unforgivable.
I wish japanese tv adaptions of mangas would be more interpretative instead of sticking to the source material like ants on a lump of sugar doing the ridiculous cosplay nonsense it usually turns into.

Renpatsu

With regards to Light (Is he still called Light in this?) from the scant few scenes we see I get the impression that they aren't going to make him as overtly 'good' and instead play up the loner aspect. That's just what it feels like given how he looks and all. Given that it's set in America perhaps they'll use this film to be a commentary on the 'young white male' stereotype.

pashmilla

Banned
...why? He's a nobody.

youre gonna regret asking that probably

a) he's a hottie fotottie:

300504_1255174420681_225_186.jpg

b) he has some mad burglary skillz

c) he made a perfect copy of the death note in ONE NIGHT meaning he's basically instrumental in light's downfall

i love him. also his voice in the anime is hnngh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom