• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Death Note Trailer. Release August 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

O_Atoll

If they follow Light's escalation of his "justice" from the source material, a privileged white kid living in Seattle mass killing the USA's prison population which is disproportionally black, and a black super-detective taking him down has to be intentional.

So it makes sense why they wouldn't want the protagonist/antagonist to be Asian in this instance, it doesn't really serve the social commentary. I would also assume they wouldn't want someone black or middle eastern.

Well, that was Yagami Light. This is Light Turner, who is a different character in a different story. You do recognize that it's impossible to accurately convey the source material's story in even a trilogy of movies - and this is only one film. The anime was over 12 hours of content and even that was pared down from the manga.

The film needs Light to be more impulsive to get the plot moving, you aren't going to get 30 minutes of him winning Naomi's trust before the soul-crushing "I am Kira" scene, there simply isn't time for it. Even the Japanese live action films changed Light's look and personality.

Okay then let me ask you this. Why is he still called "Kira"? Kira is the Japanese incorrect pronunciation of killer.

Okay then let me ask you this. Why is he still called "Kira"? Kira is the Japanese incorrect pronunciation of killer.

Somebody found that Kira is a feminine translation of the word "light" from a different language (Sanskrit maybe?).

Honestly could just say Japanese people came up with the name first and spread it online. The Kira phenomenon wasn't restricted to just Japan; the manga could've had a Spanish name take off first; it didn't matter.

https://twitter.com/AdamWingard/status/849694536020271104

Great test screening for Death Note last night. Here is a card from a 15 year old girl.

C8q4rGwU0AAdHBD.jpg:large

Hmmm

black070

Me and my friends are huge fans of Death Note. As great as it would be to get a perfect live action depiction including race and setting - it hasn't really bummed us out about the project.. I mean, it is an American adaption after all, they're allowed to take liberties, and changing the setting to match that is the best way to go about it in my opinion.

My expectations for it aren't very high mind you, but that doesn't mean I'm any less excited we're getting this. Here's hoping it honours the property by being a quality adaption.

Apparently Atticus Ross and his brother are composing the score for Death Note.

No Reznor, but it will likely sound pretty similar to the stuff they have done together. The track in the trailer was pretty cool.

Arkeband

Banned

Somebody found that Kira is a feminine translation of the word "light" from a different language (Sanskrit maybe?).

Honestly could just say Japanese people came up with the name first and spread it online. The Kira phenomenon wasn't restricted to just Japan; the manga could've had a Spanish name take off first; it didn't matter.

Ya I was the one who pointed it out.

Do you have a source on that? Thats fucking hype if true

Adam Wingard‏ @AdamWingard

Atticus Ross and Leopold Ross are performing the score for Death Note.
6:08 PM · Mar 22, 2017

I was ready to blow the lid and review the movie if I saw it last night

I hate you and will assume you took my spot :(

I swear it wasn't me! :O surprisingly enough the line blew up in a span of 5 minutes of me grabbing a quick dinner before heading back lol

You probably would have reviewed it better than I would have. (i'm terrible with reviews)

"Incorrect pronunciation"

That's just how they pronounce it bruh. They don't phonetically differentiate between Ls and rs. And they don't have ers either.

"Incorrect pronunciation"

That's just how they pronounce it bruh. They don't phonetically differentiate between Ls and rs. And they don't have ers either.

No no, in the Netflix version. if Light was called correctly in the manga, he'd be 'killa'. Like a gangsta.

How much sex/violence/nudity/gore is there?

No nudity or sex. Although some definite Murder Boners going on with Light and Mia.
Gore and violence could be compared to Final Destination somewhat and happens throughout the movie. I laughed at the first death that Light writes in.

How was the acting?

Willem Dafoe delivers as Ryuk...I get mad Green Goblin vibes every time he speaks. The L in this version was pretty likable. Lights characterized differently and you'll kind of see why.
I really don't want to spoil it much more because how they adapted everyone in this version.

For the record, the movie is obviously not fully polished so it could end up panning out much better than what I saw.

Arkeband

Banned
They do, although it's quickly explained. Light comes up with it.

Actually I just remembered that you see boob for like 5-10 seconds? Lol but that person's already deb.

Is it what we had discussed earlier in the thread, that he gets it from the Sanskrit version of his name?

Is it what we had discussed earlier in the thread, that he gets it from the Sanskrit version of his name?

No, this is just some dumb super reaching explanation. It's literally just "Killer" written and pronounced as a Japanese person would, because their alphabet can't represent the original word entirely

sphagnum

Banned
No, this is just some dumb super reaching explanation. It's literally just "Killer" written and pronounced as a Japanese person would, because their alphabet can't represent the original word entirely

Yeah but since Kira means "beam of light" in Sanskrit it would be a clever work around for this version.

Arkeband

Banned

You misunderstand what I'm asking - what you just explained makes no sense for the western version set in Seattle.

Metal B

So a good way to cover you tracks, if you want to mislead people about your identity and background?

Hydrus

No nudity or sex. Although some definite Murder Boners going on with Light and Mia.
Gore and violence could be compared to Final Destination somewhat and happens throughout the movie. I laughed at the first death that Light writes in.

Willem Dafoe delivers as Ryuk...I get mad Green Goblin vibes every time he speaks. The L in this version was pretty likable. Lights characterized differently and you'll kind of see why.
I really don't want to spoil it much more because how they adapted everyone in this version.

For the record, the movie is obviously not fully polished so it could end up panning out much better than what I saw.

Wait! Hold the fuck up! Willem Dafoe is actually in this?!!! I thought that was just fan boys posting about their dream casting. I'm already sold on this movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom