• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverland Company (Rune Factory, Shining Force Neo) to cease operations

Riffled

Banned
That's horrible. There is a place in this world for developers like Neverland Company (even though all they've made recently is Rune Factory games)....at times, I really hate this focus on AAA gaming. So no more Lufia or Rune Factory. :(

Help us Sega, you are our only hope....

Actually, they have been affiliated with Sega for dev support of their games, after Shining stuff.

Same story with Media.Vision (Wild Arms people).

OceanBlue

Damn, I've put a lot of time into RF4 since I got it and I really enjoyed RF3. Hopefully the staff can find good places for themselves somewhere else.

faridmon

The hell. This means that having a successful franchise does not guarantee you being in the business. Sad to see them go like this despite the great Rune Factory games.

I wonder who are going to develop the series from here onwards.

Knurek

I always wondered, if the Lufia/Rune Factory Neverland was this the same Neverland that made a lot of PSP games for Idea Factory?

vareon

So what happens to the next Rune Factory, if any? I remember Marvelous saying they were quite happy with the sales, so I imagine they were working on the next installment. But we heard nothing since then, until this. RF5 never exists, or it was cancelled, or it was given to another studio from the start?

Knurek

What title? Rengoku?

Neverland Card Battles, Aedis Eclipse - Generation of Chaos, Blazing Soul Accelate, Itsuka Kono Te ga Kegareru Toki ni - Spectral Force Legacy, both Rengoku games, Spectral Souls - Resurrection of the Ethereal Empire, Spectral vs. Generation

Probably more, those are just the ones I have tagged.

Neverland Card Battles, Aedis Eclipse - Generation of Chaos, Blazing Soul Accelate, Itsuka Kono Te ga Kegareru Toki ni - Spectral Force Legacy, both Rengoku games, Spectral Souls - Resurrection of the Ethereal Empire, Spectral vs. Generation

Probably more, those are just the ones I have tagged.

"Neverland(Often labeled IF Neverland by many to prevent confusion) is the name and, is one of Japanese video gaming company Idea Factory's biggest franchises since 1996; the company starting business in 1994."
Kind of the name of the team and the world used by Idea Factory, different than Neverland Co.Ltd

Eiolon

Well I never played Rune Factory but did not like what was done with the Shining "Force" name with Neo. Always sad to hear people lose their jobs though, especially during the holidays.

Crayons

Banned
Such awful news. I especially feel really bad now because I've never bought any of their games.

RIP Rune Factory

shaowebb

God no not more studios dying...here is hoping they all land on their feet. This industry is getting really rough. The divide between AAA studios and indie studios is cutting pretty wide now...not many mid tier studios are making it work these days and more and more it seems like things are turning out in a manner where if you are not in a AAA studio you wont survive and will get forced down into the indies.

HpeQuI5.png

Sad news indeed. :(

Let's not forget they made the awesome Record of Lodoss War game on Dreamcast. Such a shame, was hoping we'd see more games from them.

They must have been in some serious debt or something, Rune Factory 4 seemed to be a roaring success.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/19/marvelous-aql-profits-soar-thanks-to-rune-factory-4-and-senran-kagura-burst/
Marvelous AQL reported 620 million yen ($7.82 million) of net profit for the company’s second quarter. That’s an upward revision of 106.7% more profit than they expected.

Strong sales of Rune Factory 4 and Senran Kagura: Burst were the reason for the jump. Marvelous AQL said initial orders exceeded expectations and repeat orders have been favorable.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Damn, I liked their games, they satisfied that small but still wanted part of my gaming. Rune Factory 4 is a great entry for that series as well. I hope the developers can find a new home, though I can understand if a few might retire after being in the industry so long.

Maxim726X

More importantly, this means no more Lufia.

I kept the hope alive. Lufia 2 is still one of the best games I've ever played.

ohlawd

I bought Rune Factory 4 day one so this isn't my fault. Got to play more of it tho.

Hopefully everyone can get back on their feet soon.

Top Bottom