• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverland Company (Rune Factory, Shining Force Neo) to cease operations

Begaria

Clearly they should've hopped on the mobile bandwagon and started making F2P microtransaction RPGs. That would surely have saved the company!

sörine

Banned
Marvelous should just hire all the staff if they need to. Rune Factory is their 2nd biggest series after Harvest Moon so it might be worth it to them.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I never played as much Rune Factory as I'd like, but I loved the Lufia games, I really liked Lodoss War on Dreamcast, and I actually always wanted the Shining Force NEO / EXA series to some to something like XBLA... they were more fun than people gave them credit for, and would be a great basis for Japanese-developed dungeon crawlers for downloadable distribution. :/

I hope to hear something good from their team members somewhere; they have a certain type of quality that is missing in many game releases now-a-days, that's always enjoyable and fun.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What? Not Rune Factory! I hope they find an equally good developer for the next games.

I didn't even know that Rune Factory and Lufia were developed by the same studio, maybe explains why I love them both.

fertygo

This is sad news but thanks to this thread I'm interested to play Lufia.. game looks great for SNES game judging from some snap from google, especially 2nd game.

This news came out of nowhere...
Sad to hear about them closing down and for the people losing their jobs.
I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Rune Factory series.
I own four Rune factory games and am still waiting for number five. (RF4)
Really sucks they go down after RF4 was successful,.

Lumyst

Ah, I did not know the business side of things was such that Marvelous would contract Neverland to make Rune Factory, though I remember Aquamarine saying that Rune Factory was more of Producer Hashimoto's idea/project, so I hope he finds other people who can make another game for Marvelous. But come to think of it, I never did buy 343i's Halo 4 because "It wasn't made by Bungie." Would I buy a Rune Factory that "Wasn't made by Neverland?" ... (yes.)

CTLance

Yup, if you get one, get Lufia 2. It's a wonderful game with a great soundtrack.
Absolutely.
Please keep in mind that Lufia 1 kinda-sorta spoils Lufia 2 plot points in the intro since the first game comes after the second one on the timeline and both games are closely interlinked. So play the second game first, no matter what.

Awesome game, and thanks to the optional randomized dungeon it's also one hell of a time sink.... Even if the game starts becoming increasingly buggy and broken after you get past a certain dungeon depth. Not to mention the outright evil boss at the bottom.

Best world map vehicle, too. It's a sub, ship, blimp, and it has
a friggen turbo booster.

Even if Rune Factory gets developed by another company, it will NEVER be the same. Neverland was a very special company with an outstanding development team.

RIP Neverland. Thanks for all the memories.

Eusis

I actually wonder what the chances are of MMV forming a new studio mostly composed of Neverland staffers just for Rune Factory? Though that isn't too great either as that would probably mean ONLY Rune Factory from them from now on, and not getting to make other stuff on the side.

Then again when that other stuff ended up being the Lufia remake and Shining Force I guess no one will be too upset.

Flarin

That's really sad. I've bought RF: Tides and RF4 and really enjoyed both. Never good to hear a studio is closing. Hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

Lumyst

The last-gen slaughter continues. I wonder who's next...

What sucks though is that it's not like they were making AAA games, but despite making games at the Wii/DS/3DS level it seems that wasn't enough. Do we know how financially healthy Marvelous is? I've read though that they've worked with both Nintendo and Sony on some games, so I hope they'll continue to work on making games for traditional gaming platforms. Many of the games for my Wii and DS collection that I bought this year bear some connection to Marvelous (MMV...Marvelous Entertainment) so I hope to enjoy more of their games in the future.

Vecks

The Rune Factory games are amazing. I wish the best to the developers. I hope they can continue making great games elsewhere.

sörine

Banned
I actually wonder what the chances are of MMV forming a new studio mostly composed of Neverland staffers just for Rune Factory? Though that isn't too great either as that would probably mean ONLY Rune Factory from them from now on, and not getting to make other stuff on the side.
Marvelous makes games for other publishers on the side so if they brought the Neverland guys together under a new studio they might still be able to work for hire with Square Enix, Sega or whoever.

Yuterald

Sad... =(

They made some of the best Japanese Diablo clones...Shining Force EXA/NEO and Record of Lodoss War are now lost gem-core.

Ah, I did not know the business side of things was such that Marvelous would contract Neverland to make Rune Factory, though I remember Aquamarine saying that Rune Factory was more of Producer Hashimoto's idea/project, so I hope he finds other people who can make another game for Marvelous. But come to think of it, I never did buy 343i's Halo 4 because "It wasn't made by Bungie." Would I buy a Rune Factory that "Wasn't made by Neverland?" ... (yes.)

Hashimoto is the current lead at MMV for Harvest Moon games.

There's no way he's going to let Rune Factory die...he'll convince MMV to find some other studio to make Rune Factory games.

But that doesn't mean Rune Factory will have the same quality, or will release for the same platforms.

I'm worried about the future of the series for that reason. I really hope it lands on its feet.

dragonknight337

Neo Member
I wouldn't expect it to jump plats regardless of who makes it now, whether Marvelous(Natsume?) picks them up, or they get a new dev team, ds/3ds is where they did the best sales.

Sad news though, I grew up playing Lufia and Lufia 2 (very jelly of fertygo, who will get to try them for the first time), and Rune Factory is my favorite jrpg series. I'll buy a new dev's RF, but I hope that they can somehow keep going on the series. :(

WolvenOne

Dagnabit, not another one! I keep wishing a competent big fish would come in and scoop up some of these more talented smaller developers. Alas, I think too many of the bigger fish in Japan already have their own development teams, and are only oh so interested in expanding out their talent pool.

Kinda a shame, since I lot of Japanese publishers desperately need a larger pool of talent to draw from. XP

Itsuki

NO!. This is just so sad. Lufia and the RF series were my favourite series made by them. The Shining made by them for me were the last good Shining games before Sega turned the Shining brand into Shining Bread Waifu.
Also, I thought that RF4 sold well in Japan.
Neverland, I'll miss you.....

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man wtf Shining Force EXA was actually good and the Rune Factory games D:::

duckroll y u ruin weekend...

wrowa

But that doesn't mean Rune Factory will have the same quality, or will release for the same platforms.
Eh. The platforms will be mandated by MMV and not by the developer. If MMV is satisfied with the way the franchise is doing they won't suddenly change the approach completely.

However, it is definitely possible that MMV wants to push RF into a new direction and decided not to go with Neverland with the next game. Not being contracted for RF5 might actually be the reason why they had to close down.

It's also possible that MMV will simply absord the key development staff of the Rune Factory series. Rune Factory is quite an important franchise to them, they won't risk the future of it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
After the Lufia 2 Remake, I'm not so certain Lufia will have a future. Still it is sad to see gaming companies close down.

CTLance

Man, this sucks so much. I've been listening to the Lufia 2 OST on youtube in exasperation. I need to dig up my SNES and play this again, but I lack spare time at the moment. Dammit.

Utterly random thingamajig: Lufia III pre-release prototype music. (According to wiki: Neversoft released this unfinished PS1 game in heavily modified form as Lufia: The Legend Returns for GBC)

cvxfreak

What would that success have to do with them though? How do you imagine it could help them with their debts aside from simply employing them for another Rune Factory game?

Exactly. Without a specific per-unit royalty agreement in place, the sales of any game developed by the studio will not directly contribute to the financial stability of that developer. Even then the potential for getting rich from this is limited since a specific game's sales are finite unless you're Nintendo.

Running an independent game development studio in Japan can be tough, especially in today's environment in which next-gen games can only be developed by large studios with technical expertise and ballooning budgets.

95% of the independent development studios out there in Japan just do not have the capability of making this happen on a consistent scale. So some of them turn to low-margin mobile or social titles hoping they strike gold with a Puzzles and Dragons or Dragon Collection or what not. :(

isual

Saddening indeed.

This would mean their games will go up in price? May as well buy rune factory 4 for the collection.

Didn't notice, but shining force exa and neo were made by them ? I thought Sega did. Great two games. I do have shining tears but never got around playing it entirely

bon

Aha, Siliconera has translated a message from Producer Hashimoto at: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/29/rune-factory-series-producer-shares-brief-message-future/

So the man in charge has something cooking up, regardless of what's happened to Neverland Co.

Here's hoping though that the kind in "...what kind of title we'll be releasing next..." doesn't mean a mobile kind of title :p

"I can say that the staff members are still doing great."

Maybe Marvelous hired them to make RF games internally?

Biker19

Banned
That just sucks. :(

I feel that we should have more companies like them & less companies like Ubisoft, Activision, & EA.

Lumyst

"I can say that the staff members are still doing great."

Maybe Marvelous hired them to make RF games internally?

Neverland seems to have a storied history beyond Rune Factory, so I hope Rune Factory was something they loved to work on, a total of 6(!) games. I could see the progression of skill they had in handling the DS when comparing RF1, 2, and 3 (and now 4), RF3 is incredibly smooth and accessible, a real pleasure and a nice example of how developers can improve when they work on a series/platform over time, and that experience with Nintendo DS hardware is what could be lost should other developers be the ones to carry on the series. So I hope they kept some of the people familiar with Nintendo DS/3DS hardware and who know the little quirks and intricacies (and maybe even the love?) involved in making a Rune Factory game.

Eh. The platforms will be mandated by MMV and not by the developer. If MMV is satisfied with the way the franchise is doing they won't suddenly change the approach completely.

However, it is definitely possible that MMV wants to push RF into a new direction and decided not to go with Neverland with the next game. Not being contracted for RF5 might actually be the reason why they had to close down.

It's also possible that MMV will simply absord the key development staff of the Rune Factory series. Rune Factory is quite an important franchise to them, they won't risk the future of it.

Business circumstances might force MMV to release a sub-standard title.

If the new team behind Rune Factory doesn't deliver a quality product, MMV may have no choice but to release it to recoup the sunk costs. Or, MMV may decide to allocate a lower amount of staff to a sequel, forcing the game to be more barebones (or for mobile platforms).

You're right...the "it might not be on the same platforms" is in reference to MMV possibly deciding to take Rune Factory in a new direction...like a mobile release.

Damaniel

Banned
Hot stuff NOT coming our way? :(

I actually liked Shining Force Neo/EXA. I was probably the only person in existence who did. Never played Rune Factory (other than about an hour worth of the first one), but it's always sad to see an appreciated developer go.

bronk

Banned
Let's not forget they made the awesome Record of Lodoss War game on Dreamcast. Such a shame, was hoping we'd see more games from them.
I am playing this right now! They made that? Great game! Sucks they got shutdown. I will hunt down Lufia 2 and go get Rune Factory IV as a farewell.

Top Bottom