• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

I think we're getting something like 64 and Sunshine. The ray of light must be there to show you in which direction the goal is, which only makes sense if levels are large enough to make getting lost a real possibility. Miyamoto also said they weren't dropping the star-collecting style of games, and even Captain Toad brought back having stars as the objective of the level (but on a much smaller scale).

I expect mixes of big open areas and linear corridors, like in Galaxy 1, but with the big open areas being more in line with Sunshine's. Maybe even have optional routes, like how 64 let you get stars in almost any order, which again would explain why there needs to be a ray of light to show you where the goal is waiting (so that you can go back to the mission without issues if you decided to steer off from the expected path).

Red Devil

To me it looks sort of a blend like Galaxy games, because the first thing with the buildings would seem like a hub of sorts and the other thing looked like a 3D World level in a different FOV.

Unless it's open world and everything is connected, but I highly doubt that.

Yes, it looks much better. Mario looks higher poly, like MK8, and the animations are a lot better. Definitely an improvement.

the whole thing reminds me of MK8 and i love it, that game straight up looked like a Pixar movie, and at the time i was like "Damn, i hope they make the next Mario look like this".

tkscz

And Galaxy wasn't like Mario 64. You didn't have big hub worlds that you could run around in and go different directions to get different stars. Galaxy loaded essentially a different linear level with every mission that just shared the starting area at most.

I'm saying this level appears to be linear and designed similarly to how they were designed in Galaxy and 3D Land/World as opposed to an open world level.

Can't disagree with that's how it looks (also finally someone agrees that Mario Galaxy levels were linear in design).

TheJoRu

I don't know anything about this Mario game, but it does look awfully pretty from that very short snippet of gameplay.

Lijik

The level appears to look like this:
HMoVKdDl.jpg

It's a linear corridor surrounded by walls and/or empty death desert planes.

Sunshine's worlds, on the other hand, are big areas you can run around in any direction because they have multiple missions.
PyDwaOLl.png

Your first mission may take you to the top of the windmill, but you have all that town and lake area that you can visit if you want and have to visit in later missions.

The design of the level in the Mario Switch footage doesn't appear to have that design in mind. It looks like you go down one path and you're done and move on.

Im sorry my dude but pretending we knew nothing about Sunshine, you can just as easily make this "analysis" with Bianco Hills if these were the only screenshots you had
T8PUTyf.png

jYMxGOF.png

Galang

Banned
I mean it's Mario and looks great... can't say they have a bad track record after 3D world and galaxy 1/2... so I'm in no matter what. Actually hoping for multiplayer integration with online, but regardless I'm sure this will be an amazing experience

Super Mario Switch. Switch between characters on the fly in order solve certain puzzles?

Super Mario Switch is an awesome title. However, it's very obvious so I want to say that won't be it.

I get some Sunshine vibes from it, in that, if that's the "overworld" it isn't set in your traditional Mushroom Kingdom. Wonder if it's Super Mario Fiesta or something like that.

Hatty

Really hope we aren't going back to the structure of 64, Galaxy 2 and 3D world are much better games

sinxtanx

Super Mario Switch. Switch between characters on the fly in order solve certain puzzles?

Maybe switch suits for powers that suit the moment?

If you don't get the mariachi suit, you'll never survive the intense heat of the desert that is only kept at bay by the large pieces of ice in town. Oh no! The last mariachi suit is at the fort! Looks like you'll have to mount a full assault if you want to explore the desert!

If yall actually watch the trailer you can see its a bit of a hub. Look to the left in the city, you see an green arrow obviously giving notice of a landmark or something to visit.

RagnarokX

Im sorry my dude but pretending we knew nothing about Sunshine, you can just as easily make this "analysis" with Bianco Hills if these were the only screenshots you had
T8PUTyf.png

jYMxGOF.png

No one would make a confident assumption based on those screenshots. Most of your view is blocked by walls and bad angles. The limited footage we have gives a pretty good wide view. Based on what I can see and past Mario games it seems very likely that at least the part of this level that we can see is linear and designed similarly to Galaxy and 3D World; but I see nothing indicating level design philosophies that are in line with 64. I may be wrong, but it wouldn't be without good reason. My argument is just that I see more indicating that this level is linear rather than open world.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Does anyone else think that it looks a bit soulless? It's like the game is missing an atmosphere. That's why I think the game is still in development, with a probable release in holiday 2017.

8bit

Knows the Score

I was thinking switching between dimensions would be a neat hook, can't help but think there has been something in the past that did this though. Otherwise, looks like hot/cold switching might be in there (ice mountains/mexico).

Looked like a muddy flow as he jumps past the bullet bill though, might hark back to sunshine but not explicitly.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know, I'm glad Nintendo gave us a break from Mario. It's been 3 years since 3D World (kinda crazy to think about), and now, I'm excited for a new one.

Peltz

Does anyone else think that it looks a bit soulless? It's like the game is missing an atmosphere. That's why I think the game is still in development, with a probable release in holiday 2017.
4 seconds of footage dude without music

Menitta

We've only seen less than 5 seconds of gameplay. I'd say it's definitely too early to get an idea of atmosphere. Heck, for all we know, that Mexico level might be the only one like it.

KooopaKid

Banned

Miyamoto said the game will be playable at E3 2017 so it's still a bit early.

Thread is getting embarrassing. You'd think this was a Sonic game with the overanalyzing and declarations of "abomination" to previous games in the series. This is what happens when you spoil manbrats with a history of legitimately awesome games. Gotta find something to complain about.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
4 seconds of footage dude without music

Reply to me how long was this video.

We've only seen less than 5 seconds of gameplay. I'd say it's definitely too early to get an idea of atmosphere. Heck, for all we know, that Mexico level might be the only one like it.
I know there's not much footage, but it's the only footage we got. I'm perfectly capable of changing my opinion once we get more info.

zroid

Banned
The behind the back camera and triple jump suggests to me this is going to be more like 64 or Sunshine than the recent Mario games. Not sure I like that, but it looks great so far.

The behind the back camera and triple jump suggests to me this is going to be more like 64 or Sunshine than the recent Mario games. Not sure I like that, but it looks great so far.

I mean, there's a spinny heart.

A fucking spinny heart, lmao.

That's so specific to Super Mario 64 (and no other Mario game) that I'm surprised that there are people envisioning this thing as anything but some sort of sequel to 64. Then again, I also noticed that there appears to be floating metal hearts placed like coins (presumably so that coins can now be used as they are in other Mario games - liberally, as pathfinding/exploration suggestors and for lives - as opposed to having to also be balanced around returning health to the player, which I assume coins no longer do), so who knows, this could be its own sorta thing, too.

Sterok

Looks like 3D World level design to me with a Sunshine style hub. Impossible to say from 5 seconds of footage though. Hope it's like Galaxy, linear levels with a variety of objectives and level designs, but 3D Land/World would be good too.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I want a fully integrated, open world Mushroom Kingdom that is tightly designed, almost like the first Dark Souls. And then have paintings that contain hardcore, linear levels. Best of both worlds.

Boom. Checkmate Nintendo, hire me.

Aldric

l don't think it looks soulless at all. The Mexican theme which is something we've never seen in a mainline Mario game, that huge moon, the Aztec looking fortress, the contrast brought by giant ice formations in the middle of a desert... lt's pretty unique and already gives the game a rather strong identity.

Courage

I want a fully integrated, open world Mushroom Kingdom that is tightly designed, almost like the first Dark Souls. And then have paintings that contain hardcore, linear levels. Best of both worlds.

Boom. Checkmate Nintendo, hire me.
That's my dream setup as well. I really do hope this new game encourages exploration moreso than just checking corners for green stars.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Thread is getting embarrassing. You'd think this was a Sonic game with the overanalyzing and declarations of "abomination" to previous games in the series. This is what happens when you spoil manbrats with a history of legitimately awesome games. Gotta find something to complain about.

Yeah well I've always maintained that 3d world fans are the equivalent of 'gotta go fast green eyed sonic' fans

skypunch

Banned

Yes, I know what you mean. It looks a bit sterile to me. Too clean and smooth.

the whole thing reminds me of MK8 and i love it, that game straight up looked like a Pixar movie, and at the time i was like "Damn, i hope they make the next Mario look like this".
Yea it does resemble the look of MK8 more now that you mention it, which is great! Can't wait to see direct footage.

trutrutru

I hate that he looks like he does in mario 3d world. I liked his model and general art direction for galaxy. That was a nice look. Graphically, this looks like 1080p mario 3d world

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I think it looks great. Especially the town environment, beautiful colors.

I would hold off on judgement from superimposed video from a marketing video.

I hate that he looks like he does in mario 3d world. I liked his model and general art direction for galaxy. That was a nice look. Graphically, this looks like 1080p mario 3d world
Does it? I don't think it looks anything like 3D World and nothing suggests it's 1080p. There's a very distinct style that we haven't seen from previous Mario games.

Probably a good game. The camera angle implies that this is a single player venture with single player design consistency. It's exactly what I wanted. Tighter level design from 3D land combined with the larger moveset of previous Mario games.

More likely there's no HUD because it's either early into development or not actual gameplay.

Should be actual gameplay, at least. The umbrella at the start of the video has "objective-like" arrows pointing you can do something with it. Doubt they'd be there in a visual demonstration. That said, I think they're still pretty early in development, yeah. For all I know this is the only level made haha.

Top Bottom