• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

Mario 64 was a very linear game just like galaxy, yeah theres some stars that you can collect whenever. Openworld games are not a good fit for platformers because level design is key in platformers to be fun unlike rpgs where explorations is a big part.

I've posted my thoughts on this a few times, but I don't agree with you. 64 was made of levels that were essentially smaller open worlds that (with a few exceptions) allowed players to get whatever star they wanted to get whenever they wanted to get it.

Galaxy streamlines you toward a star (or lets you trigger a hidden path that streamlines you to another star).

I personally care more about exploration and problem-solving through creative movement in platformers more than running through a tightly-designed level. If a game has all of those things (hello, Sonic Generations!), it's great, but at this point I think some of those poorly-aged Rare collectathons are more engaging than any, say, New Super Mario Bros. game. At the very least, even though I don't think Rare ever mastered the joy of platforming movement, they did allow you to go exploring.

So basically you don't like platformers (anymore)

Uh, no? I love platformers. Good ones.

Something like Rayman Origins, which is far more interesting from a level design standpoint than any 2D Mario game in years (and which has a bit of fun exploration in terms of finding hidden rooms and mural pieces), is fun without being tedious. Or take DKC: TF, which again is way more interesting in terms of level design than any NSMB game or for that matter any Galaxy game...or 3DW (I haven't played 3DL, so I can't comment on that).

I just don't think non-Retro Nintendo dev teams make particularly interesting linear levels in their platformers, whether in 2D or 3D, at this point.

And, as I noted, if I'm not getting exceptional level design in my platformers, they'd better have great exploration. I really quite enjoyed Sonic Generations (I considered it the best platformer of last generation) in part because of the exploration involved with finding Red Star Rings and playing again and again to figure out the fastest path through the levels. Sonic games actually don't have super-interesting level design on their own merits, but they're able to make them interesting because they branch the levels effectively, hide stuff around the levels, and add options for how you can play a level (speed through for an S rank or look for every collectible). I don't know that a Mario platformer has done anything that interesting in a long time.

It's sort of weird that you'd argue that someone doesn't like platformers at all because s/he isn't enamored with modern-day Mario platformers. There are tooooooons of other platformers out there, y'know?

Roo

Just watch the video and the gifs, Mario looks much better than in 3D World. He looks more similar to the MK8 model. You just have to look; Mario and friends were very low poly in 3D World, probably to make up for the fact that 4 characters should be playable simultaneously at 60fps, here they likely don't have to worry so they made him bigger and better

Dude, no offense but you literally have no idea what are you talking about. Like... AT ALL.
The models on the left are from 3D World and the one on the right is from Mario Kart 8

WoLFc2x.jpg

Super Mario 3D World has the best high poly models out of any Mario game this gen, only beaten by SEGA and their Olympic Games.
In fact, MK8 probably has the least polished models of the bunch, closely followed by the ones on Mario Party 10.
Do some research before doing those claims.

Aldric

The cap seems to make a subtle move at the end when he stops and I love it.

I love the transition between his running animation with outstretched arms and his normal style at the end of the long jump, it looks so fluid and natural. One of the main reasons why l disliked 3D World so much was because of how stiff and clunky everything felt and looked.

Red Devil

I still have an old GameCube box with a picture of Donkey Kong riding an ostrich in a racing kind of game

Donkey Kong Racing, which never came to be.

It's another 3D world style game based on the what I see.

Thankfully, 3DW is one of my GOATs.

Looks like a mix to me, the level with the bullet bill looked like something from 3D World, but with a different field of view.

Dunno if said before but here is my bet:

It's called Mario Universe. It was planned for WiiU (hence the U name, Mario U) but was repurposed for the Switch since the WiiU did not sell well.

The levels are plannets, just on a bigger scale than in Galaxy, and there will be other alien-esque levels.

RagnarokX

So after seeing this gif, I'm wondering what those crystals are on the sides of the screen on the upper left and far right.
It's ice. You can see ice/snowflakes and steam coming off them. Looks like it's supposed to be a mix of desert and ice. Maybe Bowser SWITCHED the climates and made ice. The conceit of the game could be switching between opposites like that.

Nibel

To be honest this is probably built with the 3D World engine and looks like a slightly more open 3D World to me.

I mean this will be rad as hell if 3D World is any indication, but I wouldn't get my hopes up and expect a second Mario 64

robotrock

Banned
Ragnarox, no offense my dude, but don't be ridiculous. You can't tell absolutely anything with what was shown. Don't over analyze things lmao.

But if you wanna keep going, overanalyze these images for me:

hgEEw2U.jpg

How did I never notice this.
(circled it in red if you can't immediately see it)

AdanVC

Finally got the chance to write about this. Mario is my favorite videogame character so this looked simply amazing. Even if it was just 4 seconds of footage. 3D Mario games always deliver and I'm sure this would be no exception. Love the desert/Día de muertos setting on that footage. As a Mexican, I'm pretty excited about this. What if the whole game revolves around the Day of the dead theme? Omfg <3

It's like, immediately obvious that's Mario's 64/Sunshine/Galaxy moveset and a Sunshine style open area with NPC's. Not to mention the camera and heart collectable you can see. I'd almost go further and say Mario seems more like his faster/looser self in the first two 3D games than Galaxy's more streamlined physics.

No clue why people keep saying it's 3DWorld 2. At worst it's using the same base engine.

skypunch

Banned
It looks better than 3D World IMO.

It's also like 4 seconds of offscreen footage lol

It's honestly not much of an improvement. I also thought it looked underwhelming, and it looks very NintendoLand-y in colour palette and style. It'll probably be a good game, but I do wish Switch was a bit more powerful.

The animations when Mario jumps in the second clip looks pretty cool though.

orioto

Good Art™
Dude, no offense but you literally have no idea what are you talking about. Like... AT ALL.
The models on the left are from 3D World and the one on the right is from Mario Kart 8

WoLFc2x.jpg

Super Mario 3D World has the best high poly models out of any Mario game this gen, only beaten by SEGA and their Olympic Games.
In fact, MK8 probably has the least polished models of the bunch, closely followed by the ones on Mario Party 10.

Thx for that haha.
So yeah that confirms my claims. That mario is certainly not better looking than 3d world. And i don't know how people see "better shaders" in it..
I really thinks the back camera just makes it more impressive to most people.
Even the design of those "pyramid" structure seems super simple.

It's such a mystery to me why 3D World was always considered ugly and "like 3d land" by most when it's pretty amazing in term of rendering. And this game they just showed has everyone like "OMG sooo pretty i never felt that since the snes!!" cause.. of a lance flare ?

How can anyone come to this conclusion with so little footage.

There is no elements that proves the other way at least...

Aldric

It's like, immediately obvious that's Mario's 64/Sunshine/Galaxy moveset and a Sunshine style open area with NPC's. Not to mention the camera and heart collectable you can see. I'd almost go further and say Mario seems more like his faster/looser self in the first two 3D games than Galaxy's more streamlined physics.

No clue why people keep saying it's 3DWorld 2. At worst it's using the same base engine.

lt's kind of baffling. l try to understand where people with different opinions come from but with 3D World fans it's like they're seeing the opposite of what's actually portrayed on screen.

l mean the first thing we see Mario do is a triple jump as if Nintendo wanted to say "this isn't like 3D World acrobatics are back" but apparently this isn't clear enough.

Astral Dog

Visually underwhelming tbh, WiiU can probably handle it :/

it looks beautiful but its using the same artstyle as 3D World just a bit more detailed.

It's honestly not much of an improvement. I also thought it looked underwhelming, and it looks very NintendoLand-y in colour palette and style. It'll probably be a good game, but I do wish Switch was a bit more powerful.

The animations when Mario jumps in the second clip looks pretty cool though.
the game is also close to a launch title, it will look fine

Astral Dog

Thx for that haha.
So yeah that confirms my claims. That mario is certainly not better looking than 3d world. And i don't know how people see "better shaders" in it..
I really thinks the back camera just makes it more impressive to most people.
Even the design of those "pyramid" structure seems super simple.

It's such a mystery to me why 3D World was always considered ugly and "like 3d land" by most when it's pretty amazing in term of rendering. And this game they just showed has everyone like "OMG sooo pretty i never felt that since the snes!!" cause.. of a lance flare ?

There is no elements that proves the other way at least...

i thought 3D World looked better than MK8 too, despite being a bit more simple in lighting and textures.

Zubz

Banned
That floating heart... At the very least, this probably has a health system ala 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.

I was already interested, but that makes me more curious.

lt's kind of baffling. l try to understand where people with different opinions come from but with 3D World fans it's like they're seeing the opposite of what's actually portrayed on screen.

l mean the first thing we see Mario do is a triple jump as if Nintendo wanted to say "this isn't like 3D World acrobatics are back" but apparently this isn't clear enough.
Yeah, I adored 3DWorld, don't get me wrong, but this was an obvious 'wink wink nudge nudge' moment concerning the moveset. It's really weird this is passing over so many hardcore fan's heads.

I'm almost tempted to make a bet it's Super Mario Galaxy 3 even.

Falchion

It's ice. You can see ice/snowflakes and steam coming off them. Looks like it's supposed to be a mix of desert and ice. Maybe Bowser SWITCHED the climates and made ice. The conceit of the game could be switching between opposites like that.

Mario Switch title confirmed.

trutrutru

But it doesn't have to do with whether the system can output at that resolution or not (though that's a necessary component). I'm certain that Switch will have 1080p content. However, for this game, it's a matter of whether Nintendo chooses to prioritize resolution over graphical effects, which we don't know the answer to yet.

I strongly doubt they will go that route. Throw all the effects you want at a 720p image, but that image quality will leave something desired. Nintendo's ip's have always been fortunate in that they never needed much in terms of bells and whistles to look good. Nintendo has usually opted for a clean visuals. I see them talking the smash 4 route and providing a clean simpler image than lower rez with more effects. Im sure someone will do some kind of analysis soon though.

trutrutru

3D World aesthetic consists in floating cubes made of different textures and very little detail, with clonic patterns in walls and editor-like elements that look always the same.

A gameplay of just 4 seconds of this Mario shows a little mexican village containing several crafted buildings full of easter eggs and a linear platforming segment which has some ruins and what seems to be an unique architecture.

350px-SM3DW_Map.png

Responded to this but dont know why its not showing up.

Long story short. What your describing have more to do with execution, than the art direction. This is exactly what i warned you about. Its not about the mexican town or texture methods. Its about the look and feel. So what if they are using more detailed techniques or if we see a town now? These speak to what your seeing rather than the art direction

Art direction is different than what we are seeing or the technical aspects. This game definitely looks like a better version of 3d world visually, and is certainly not the distinct look you claim this to be. Im definitely not the only one here who has made the 3d world comparison

Im sure if someone matched up screenshots to similar locals in 3d world, we'd see just how similar these games look stylistically

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit, triple jump AND Mario looks like he's moving much faster than he did in both 3DW and SMG. These alone make me ultra hyped for this game.

Shame this is yet another example of Nintendo doing an incredibly shitty job of unveiling a new entry to their flagship series.

sanstesy

Holy shit, triple jump AND Mario looks like he's moving much faster than he did in both 3DW and SMG. These alone make me ultra hyped for this game.

Shame this is yet another example of Nintendo doing an incredibly shitty job of unveiling a new entry to their flagship series.

Doesn't really matter how they reveal it if it's actually a compelling product. SMG got unveiled the same exact way.

orioto

Good Art™

This to. It's amazing.
Did they already unveiled a main Mario by showing silent, unnamed, unannounced footage of it mixed with other games in a vid ? That's crazy how much they don't treat their own games like the real deal..

I mean look at the difference, if i recall well. I remember Mario Sunshine making an appearance at the end of an E3 conf and it was a classy one, with the whole "oh by the way, i forgot something" act. And people went crazy!
Nowadays Nintendo is basically all "heyy look at our new console, such a great concept, look at it, and even better you got all those games you like Mario/MarioKart/Zelda anyway, but look at the console again!

trutrutru

Can we finally get mario and luigi co-op. Now that each player can have their own screen?. Been waiting for proper splitscreen co-op since the 64. Come on nintendo!

Debirudog

Well, it didn't really seem like an official unveiling if you ask me. A small taste for what's to come.

Oblivion

Well, it didn't really seem like an official unveiling if you ask me. A small taste for what's to come.

But that precisely wasn't a problem.

It will get a proper reveal when the time is right. Until then they focus on showcasing their new hardware as well as tease software for said hardware.

Well, it's not going to matter if it gets a proper reveal down the line. That defeats the purpose of unveiling it in a half assed fashion like what they did. You can't surprise someone when you've already shown them the surprise.

WoLFc2x.jpg

I thought MK8 looked much better than 3D World, there's more detail and the animation was varied and had more character to it. You don't have to grill me on it tough guy

sanstesy

Well, it's not going to matter if it gets a proper reveal down the line. That defeats the purpose of unveiling it in a half assed fashion like what they did. You can't surprise someone when you've already shown them the surprise.

A new mainline Mario game is not a surprise for a new Nintendo console. Not sure what the problem is either way. A known property, that is Mario, is a nice way to promote your newly revealed console with. It's really that simple.

orioto

Good Art™
At least i hope this Mario will be as ambitious as the Zelda. When they have ambitious software, they can showcase it as the leader of their new hardware, not as some supplemental goods for it.

Oblivion

A new mainline Mario game is not a surprise for a new Nintendo console. Not sure what the problem is either way. A known property, that is Mario, is a nice way to promote your newly revealed console with. It's really that simple.

Nobody's questioning whether there would ever been a new Mario game. The point is that they are supposed to be so rare and infrequent that when they are announced, they're Earth shattering affairs. Imagine if the first footage we saw for Star Wars: TFA was intermixed in some random montage of Disney flicks. There is nothing controversial about showing a proper, hype building trailer.

Game is more than 6 months away at least.

Sadly, Mario games almost never get graphical improvements from the point that they're unveiled.

The gif with the triple jump looks like a Mexican themed hub. I could see a "Super Mario World" with ethnic touches on various worlds besides the trite lava, snow, grass, etc ones.

Also the fact that the Switch joypads are analog only could signal that an isometric 3D Mario a la the Wii U one is off the table imho. We should get full 3d analog movement again.

Now, the multiplayer is REALLY interesting as co op in a SM64 style platformer would be amazing (actually there is SM64 romhack that does just that and it is seriously fun to play with a friend). I would like to see it not being restricted in mini games or modes but the full game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Súper Mario México AY WEY

Lo apruebo. Lo apruebo mucho

also if this follows the Galaxy 2/3D Land/3D World formula I will be salivating. Superior 3D Mario level design is superior

Top Bottom