• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

orioto

Good Art™
The gif with the triple jump looks like a Mexican themed hub. I could see a "Super Mario World" with ethnic touches on various worlds besides the trite lava, snow, grass, etc ones.

Also the fact that the Switch joypads are analog only could signal that an isometric 3D Mario a la the Wii U one is off the table imho. We should get full 3d analog movement again.

Now, the multiplayer is REALLY interesting as co op in a SM64 style platformer would be amazing (actually there is SM64 romhack that does just that and it is seriously fun to play with a friend). I would like to see it not being restricted in mini games or modes but the full game.

That's the one amazing thing with the Switch actually. Virtually, any game, like this one, could have LAN multi with different consoles. They should use that a lot, maybe create mini games like in mario 64 ds.

trutrutru

I thought MK8 looked much better than 3D World, there's more detail and the animation was varied and had more character to it. You don't have to grill me on it tough guy

Yeah im also surprised 3d world had the more detailed model. Mariokart models had so much life and expression to them. Maybe the shader work on mario kart was better or something. But i was definitely more impressed by the models in kart.

All comes down to art direction at the end of the day. Kart may habe simpler geometry and such, but it seems more accurate in game

sanstesy

Nobody's questioning whether there would ever been a new Mario game. The point is that they are supposed to be so rare and infrequent that when they are announced, they're Earth shattering affairs. Imagine if the first footage we saw for Star Wars: TFA was intermixed in some random montage of Disney flicks. There is nothing controversial about showing a proper, hype building trailer.

There is also nothing controversial about showing a small software teaser in a hardware commercial. You're really making up the problem in your head as you go. Even if you don't like it, it won't affect the game in any shape or form. You will get your proper reveal, don't worry dude.

Red Devil

Súper Mario México AY WEY

Lo apruebo. Lo apruebo mucho

also if this follows the Galaxy 2/3D Land/3D World formula I will be salivating. Superior 3D Mario level design is superior

Suddenly I imagined "ahora sí te descalabro los cachetes Bowser" in Charles Martinet's voice, what have you done!?.

Nobody's questioning whether there would ever been a new Mario game. The point is that they are supposed to be so rare and infrequent that when they are announced, they're Earth shattering affairs. Imagine if the first footage we saw for Star Wars: TFA was intermixed in some random montage of Disney flicks. There is nothing controversial about showing a proper, hype building trailer.

Mario Galaxy was announced like this, too. It's not a big deal. This game will get the attention it deserves.

You're making this weird ass narrative for yourself dude, I don't know what to tell ya.

BowieZ

Banned
Were you not around for the Wii reveal?

Galaxy was first shown in the exact same way.

Can we finally get mario and luigi co-op. Now that each player can have their own screen?. Been waiting for proper splitscreen co-op since the 64. Come on nintendo!

Wait I thought that was the Wii U, I haven't heard about the Switch supporting two screens at once
though I haven't been keeping up with details too much.

Riposte

Hope it's not a return to the old form. The whole ezploration adds nothing better than multiplayer. Give me 3d worlds dammit.

Was "ezploration" a typo or a portmanteau of "easy exploration" (i.e., walking around without a sense of danger or tension)?

White dust clouds from brown sand? Nintendo seems to be losing attention to detail. Right now it looks more like fart clouds than whirled up sand.
Its an unfinished Mario game dude

I'd stake my entire account on that this effect, clearly ripped straight from 3DW, is just a placeholder

hopefully this game is not set just in a mexican theme land didn't like it with isla delfino made all the levels looks too much the same i prefer variety like the other games.

rekameohs

Banned
yO3rlz2.gif

Lwyvtrt.gif

Stolen from another Switch post.

Looks great. Mario64 successor? I'm there.
That. On a handheld.

I am ready.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
There is also nothing controversial about showing a small software teaser in a hardware commercial. You're really making up the problem in your head as you go. Even if you don't like it, it won't affect the game in any shape or form. You will get your proper reveal, don't worry dude.

To be clear, i'm not saying this will have any impact on either the quality of the games or the sales. It's just puzzling that Nintendo would treat one of their most esteemed titles as a mere afterthought. There's nothing wrong with bringing that up.

Answer my question: do you feel it would have been totally fine if Disney released the first ever snippets of TFA in some random vid that was spliced in with other random Disney movies?

Mario Galaxy was announced like this, too. It's not a big deal. This game will get the attention it deserves.

Were you not around for the Wii reveal?

Galaxy was first shown in the exact same way.

Uh...yes i'm aware that was the case with SMG and I addressed that on the last page. And that's exactly my point. SMG was in some ways even worse since it was the first proper Mario game in 5 years, and since it was coming after one of the most disappointing Mario games ever, some would argue that it was actually more than a 10 year break from the last Mario game.

Tookay

To be clear, i'm not saying this will have any impact on either the quality of the games or the sales. It's just puzzling that Nintendo would treat one of their most esteemed titles as a mere afterthought. There's nothing wrong with bring that up.

We've spent pages dissecting a four second clip. This game will still get plenty of deserved respect and attention the moment they show an official trailer.

If anything, they just got a head-start on building the hype because we're now anticipating a big blow-out, just like Zelda got with BotW.

SirShandy

yO3rlz2.gif

Lwyvtrt.gif

Stolen from another Switch post.

Looks great. Mario64 successor? I'm there.

Looking at these clips, I'm pretty sure these both take place in the same location / level.

- The frozen/ice imagery is common in both.

- The building far in the distance in the first clip looks a lot like the building on the left hand side in the second clip which would mean you travel around it at some point (the horizontally layered stonework in the brick helps hint at this.)

-The ground in both clips is the same reddish brown color.

I'm not sure what this says about the structure of the game, but this one area itself shows quite a bit of visual/ environmental variation.

If the dive returns then we're truly back in business, controls wise. Galaxy kinda babied you with the spin, I wanna see more control return for Mario. At the expense of slightly less demanding level design, perhaps.

White dust clouds from brown sand? Nintendo seems to be losing attention to detail. Right now it looks more like fart clouds than whirled up sand.

lol are you serious? this is a cartoon dust cloud from somebody running fast a la a Bugs Bunny short. it's a stylistic flare that doesn't exist in real life. this is like demanding realism from a cartoon.

Nessus

That's the one amazing thing with the Switch actually. Virtually, any game, like this one, could have LAN multi with different consoles. They should use that a lot, maybe create mini games like in mario 64 ds.

If they have any sense they'll aggressively support single cart multiplayer.

Aldric

Those ice blocks are eventually going to be melted right? The more l think about it the more the concept of switching entire levels makes sense. Like in this level the town's fountain is covered in ice. What if the NPCs ask you to fix this so you start exploring to find a way to help them and somehow you end up melting all the ice in the level. This means that the massive ice mountains we see could create lakes you could swim in to access otherwise out of reach areas; or an ice block that covered the entrance of a cavern melts away and now you can explore the grotto. There's quite a lot of potential l think. Of course l'm just rambling based on 20 seconds of footage don't mind me.

lol are you serious? this is a cartoon dust cloud from somebody running fast a la a Bugs Bunny short. it's a stylistic flare that doesn't exist in real life. this is like demanding realism from a cartoon.

Nintendo are ruined! A mere shell of their former selves

Oblivion

I don't think those are ice blocks, guys. Notice that they're transparent. Ice isn't transparent (well, video game ice, anyway).

My guess is that they're unlockable levels that become activated after you progress in a certain fashion.

Those ice blocks are eventually going to be melted right? The more l think about it the more the concept of switching entire levels makes sense. Like in this level the town's fountain is covered in ice. What if the NPCs ask you to fix this so you start exploring to find a way to help them and somehow you end up melting all the ice in the level. This means that the massive ice mountains we see could create lakes you could swim in to access otherwise out of reach areas; or an ice block that covered the entrance of a cavern melts away and now you can explore the grotto. There's quite a lot of potential l think. Of course l'm just rambling based on 20 seconds of footage don't mind me.

Nah son, this is what neoGAF is for. Let your inner demons out here so they don't spill out into the real world

sanstesy

Answer my question: do you feel it would have been totally fine if Disney released the first ever snippets of TFA in some random vid that was spliced in with other random Disney movies?

I did not even address that point because that "comparison" has absolutely no thought behind it and makes no sense.

You just can't compare marketing for a movie which can be viewed by attending the cinema to gaming software which is there to sell you on the actual gaming hardware.

Oblivion

I did not even address that point because that "comparison" has absolutely no thought behind it and makes no sense.

You just can't compare marketing for a movie which can be viewed by attending the cinema to gaming software which is there to sell you on the actual gaming hardware.

Dude, you're making this way more complicated than it actually is. Proper trailers are the norm, not the exception. This applies whether if it's for a movie, or video game. Square-Enix, Capcom, Activision, Sony, Microsoft, everyone makes proper trailers, and have been for years.

Why is this so hard to understand?

I don't think those are ice blocks, guys. Notice that they're transparent. Ice isn't transparent (well, video game ice, anyway).

My guess is that they're unlockable levels that become activated after you progress in a certain fashion.

Kind of reminds me of how Yooka-Laylee's levels expand after you collect things

I don't know why people keep thinking this. Look at 3DW:

https://youtu.be/RY86F_sY8W8?t=47

When Nintendo shows a Mario game, it's about as close to the final product as it can be.
Except for all the 3D ones that didn't have 3D in their names

SM64's release looks better than the betas and demoes
Sunshine... I mean you read the thread
SMG clearly improved aesthetically following its first reel footage
SMG2 followed up on SMG with an underwhelming trailer featuring HORRID MIDI MUSIC of all things

Kinsei

Banned
Dude, you're making this way more complicated than it actually is. Proper trailers are the norm, not the exception. This applies whether if it's for a movie, or video game. Square-Enix, Capcom, Activision, Sony, Microsoft, everyone makes proper trailers, and have been for years.

Nintendo is a console maker. As a console maker they are obviously going to show off a new game for their mascot in the reveal trailer for their brand new console. Holding back on Mario when they had footage of it would make absolutely no sense.

So do Nintendo, they just didn't make it yet. Nintendo announced Zelda like 2 years ago and only just released the first real trailer for it a few months ago. I'm guessing we'll see the first real look into the game in the coming months, but for now they wanted to tease the audience instead of not showing anything at all. I'd say it was a fair compromise, clearly it got the hardcore crowd talking. I'm definitely more interested in the system now that I got to see firsthand that yes, they're making a new Mario game and yes, it looks much more inspired by the other 3D games in the series than 3D Land or World did.

phanphare

Banned

because it's silly

because it's silly
Dude practically just placed 3D World on Other M's level for the sake of his argument, as though the whole world reciprocates his disappointment for the game to the extent that it shouldn't be considered to have even existed at all

Sounds like a silly billy to me

I hope Nintendo follow through with the Mexican theming in this game ala Sunshine with its tropical theme. I love 3D World to death, but visual-wise it is very bland and uninspired in comparison to the other 3D Marios. Sunshine made you feel like you were actually in a locale, not just suspended over an endless skybox. I'm hoping this game goes back to that, but I wouldn't be too upset to get something a bit linear too. I'm open to almost anything.

Really like what they showed. It's short, but it's a return to a more dynamic camera unlike the 3D World one as well as more traditional 3D Mario movement with the triple jump and a new long jump. All with really nice animations and a great art style.
Looks like MK8 as a platformer, which is basically what I wanted out of the 3D Mario team for years now

sanstesy

Nah, there is nothing complicated about it; rather you make it look complicated.

For the last time: they teased some new games from known properties (one of them being the new Mario) to primarily sell you on their console, not to sell you on the new Mario game.

When they want to sell you on the new Mario game, then they will properly reveal and talk about it.

trutrutru

Wait I thought that was the Wii U, I haven't heard about the Switch supporting two screens at once
though I haven't been keeping up with details too much.

Well mario 3d world wasnt split screen...everyone was on the same screen and the camera would just pan out.

Would love a 2 player mario bros game where mario and luigi can explore stages seperately

Well mario 3d world wasnt split screen...everyone was on the same screen and the camera would just pan out.

Would love a 2 player mario bros game where mario and luigi can explore stages seperately

That's what I initially wanted for 3D World before it was announced, although what I got instead ruled anyway. I'd be fully in for that on this, I can see it happening if they utilize the 2 screens well. I'd love that. If you could each collect stars on the same file & shit, that'd be awesome

RagnarokX

If they're not ice then why is the level full of ice crystals floating in the air and why are they covered in steam like they're melting in the hot desert sun?

casiopao

Hope this one will also had multiplayer here.T_T I had tons of great times playing 3D World with my family and GF here.T_T

pixelation

Big Mario fanboy right here so i am definitely pumped for any new Mario game, but i think that graphically speaking it's not what i'd call a looker from that tiny glimpse today. I was wishing that i'd be blown away... silly me.

I can't believe people are so frustrated the new Mario was revealed this way. We were told the Switch reveal would be a 3 minute teaser. We aren't getting any more info till next year. Mario Galaxy debuted the exact same way (seconds of gameplay shown with footage of someone playing a Wii). We should be happy we saw anything. Mario Galaxy turned out fine. We'll be fine

I can't believe people are so frustrated the new Mario was revealed this way. We were told the Switch reveal would be a 3 minute teaser. We aren't getting any more info till next year. Mario Galaxy debuted the exact same way (seconds of gameplay shown with footage of someone playing a Wii). We should be happy we saw anything. Mario Galaxy turned out fine. We'll be fine
I love the stealth drop. They showed one level. It's EAD Tokyo, it's going to be a treat to see and play (and listen to, presumably).

Top Bottom